Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='KingBroly']Well that would kinda make the problem worse since you'd have 2 halls of people firing at them instead of 1.[/QUOTE]

Uh, if they have to cover twice as many entrances up there, how would it make it worse?

I'm going to jump on the 'matchmaking is slow' bandwagon. It shouldn't take me 5+ minutes to find a Beast Mode match. At least Horde/other versus matches usually takes around 30 seconds for me...

That being said, I LOVE the multiplayer maps, especially the new Gridlock, it looks like I'm fighting inside Arkham Asylum :)

[quote name='Trakan']Uh, if they have to cover twice as many entrances up there, how would it make it worse?[/QUOTE]

Two lines of fire. If they know where you're going to spawn it doesn't really matter. They're going to try and cover you from all sides.

Campaign Update:
Very happy to see
Dizzy return

Matchmaking is balls slow for me too. I had no issue with Quick matches earlier today, but looking for ranked matches just now nearly killed me. It took forever to get into a game, just to get to the loading screen where you vote on the maps.

Speaking of voice actors, i thought clay carmine was supposed to have a more tougher voice, he sounds the same as the last two carmines. Which i dont mind, just i thought i read how it was supposed to be a bit different.

[quote name='shadowrage']Is it just me or is there not any ammo for the longshot in the boxes?
No longshot is going to make insane mode such a PITA.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too.

As for matchmaking, we couldn't get into a Beast match at all, let it spin for several minutes twice, never found a match. Other than that, had no problems. Everything else worked fine.

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fuck YOU SPOILERS ON NEOGAF! fuck YOU TO HELL!

Finally trying Beast Mode.

EDIT: Great...Get to the end of Wave 11 and my internet croaks on me for 2 minutes.

EDIT 2: Started up again and beat it. Kantus seems really overpowered for Beast Mode. Being able to heal/revive your teammates at will seems ridiculous. But I haven't been able to produce enough cash to play as a Beserker yet. It seems like some characters in Beast Mode are unlocks/DLC too. I don't really understand that.

Done with Act 2 of Campaign. Once I beat it, I'll see if I can set up a game on Saturday afternoon to go through it on Insane with 4-players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving everything so far. Got to play matchmaking with 3 co-workers and go through beast mode. Despite the shotgun BS and other BS I still like this a lot more then Gears 2 MP. I haven't touched the campaign yet...

Took me maybe 10 minutes for Beast mode queue to pop, but it was worth it. Playing as the giant centipede and a berserker is just nuts. Only problem is that the tickers and anything slow seem pretty worthless due to all the barriers the AI sets up every time, along with the distance from spawn (at least on the Sandbar map).

I'm also a little disappointed in the grind to get better stuff for Horde mode, but otherwise the game's positively orgasmic.

Sooo...

I coaxed my friend into playing one online match to get the two gold unlocks, and we both ended up with flaming retro lancer unlocks as well. Just a head's up. I think it is/was a glitch and wasn't intended to be released. It looks sweet, though.

Loving the game. Most time spent in Horde, and a bit in Beast, but it's just so fun.

Beast & Horde modes are okay, but I've never been a fan of them (or zombies in cod and such). Got to level 25 in online multiplayer and feel kinda bored of the game already. I mean, you're just playing to rank up really and unlock some characters that'll probably never get put to use.

On another note, my favorite character gets put to shame..

Im up to act 4.... so if you arent that far dont read.

Kinda dumb that the "brothers to the end" achievement poped BEFORE the sad death. When i seen that achievement pop i had a bad feeling someone was going to die. I dont understand why they didnt wait till after for that achievement to pop, and the name+description dont really mix that well. But whatever. So far im having a good time and its a good game. Sad to see him die though.

I got up to Act 4 as well. I missed the Secret Achievement
because I'm an idiot and didn't approach the gate.
Oh well, it won't be that hard to get it. I've gotten quite a few Collectibles as well, and it's nice to know what I'm missing exactly.

The Campaign so far is good, but I feel like some of the characters here aren't really necessary and could've easily been replaced with someone familiar and it would've been better.
Take Sam and Jeice for example. No point in being in the game. I don't know who they are, and I don't really care, yet they act like they've been in the universe forever. It really feels like it's trying to fit a story to characters rather than the other way around, and it kind of bothers me.

Any 360 voice cogs want to get together and work on some horde, beast or campaign achievements? I suppose mp to but that is more about grinding

Hey all.. I'm looking for a few people who would be interested in playing through the Gears 3 campaign in 4 player co-op mode. Not a hardcore, 1 sitting, blow through the whole damn thing kinda deal; more of a couple of hours a night a few times a week until it's over kinda thing.

I'm generally available from 3 pm to 9 pm central time. Tuesdays and Saturdays are usually bad for me, but any other day is fine. If you're interested shoot me a friend request and let me know what day(s) are best for you.

My GamerTag is: Peace Minus One

Also if anyone needs someone to group up for some horde mode or beast mode, I'm all for it. Basically any type of Gears co-op I'm up for.. versus multiplayer I don't have a problem with, but it's not my strong point so I wouldn't pick me unless you want your score to look awesome in comparison with mine.

[quote name='KingBroly']I've gotten quite a few Collectibles as well, and it's nice to know what I'm missing exactly.[/quote]
It is on your stats & awards screen as a tab. The ones you are missing are grayed out and it tells you in what chapter to obtain it.

I suppose I'm just a cynic, but the campaign story is pretty dopey. Completely generic war action movie characters and humor. However the game is fun. I'm definitely liking playing the campaign coop. I haven't tried any of the other modes yet. I'm most likely going to like the coop modes a lot more then the competitive.

You definitely seem to level up faster, which is nice.

At level 20 now, and still loving every second of it.

10 maps is kind of a bummer. I really don't like Drydock. Something about it is just shitty. However, I really like Hotel and Overpass and Gridlock is always a classic.

In some ways the beta hurt the maps I think. Having knowledge of a 1/3 of the maps before the game even comes out kind of makes them seem old.

I don't think I like this campaign as much as the second game's, but it's still fun.

Edit: Also loving how quickly you level up. Favorite maps right now are Hotel and Old Town.

I only ended up having a couple of hours to play last night, but I got in a little bit of campaign and a KOTH match or two. I popped the Lambency achievement the very first time I executed someone in the first match I played. :lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']It is on your stats & awards screen as a tab. The ones you are missing are grayed out and it tells you in what chapter to obtain it.[/QUOTE]

I know that...it's what I was implying if you read it.

So I woke up this morning and decided to do all of Acts 4 and 5, beating it. I'm slightly disappointed by it to be honest, although I did enjoy it.
No real surprising revelations at the end. 5-5 was really bullshit, not to mention that it kept going.
Since I played 1 recently I kinda think the Campaign status is 2 > 1 > 3. Something about it just felt off that I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh well, I'll definitely play through it in 4-player co-op on Insane once I get the chance.

They really fucked up the spawns...

Trakan disagrees, but I do not remember the spawns, outside of Trenches, being this bad in the beta. You can be up in their asshole before the game forces the spawn flip.

Medals => Vengeful: execute 75 nemesis. Is a nemesis someone who kills you 3 or more times before you kill them? If so, I will never get that to be onyx, fuck!

The chrome retro lancer isn't unlocked for me even though I have the required "Domination" achievement. Should I be worried?

I was only able to play a little bit of the campaign, but I'm really loving it so far. I'm not a huge Gears fan, but I can tell how much time and effort was put into this installment.

Haven't touched multiplayer but I have put a pretty solid dent in the campaign. It feels good to have so many awesome games come out on a consistent basis (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, Gears 3, etc.).

Played Horde 2.0 with randoms for an hour last night. We got to level 30 before losing (Berserkers are bullet sponges), and one guy dropped out around level 20. I love the currency system with items to purchase, great addition.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']They really fucked up the spawns...

Trakan disagrees, but I do not remember the spawns, outside of Trenches, being this bad in the beta. You can be up in their asshole before the game forces the spawn flip.[/QUOTE]

I saw bad spawning twice on Hotel. Two of us had a guy pinned down behind a car. He was shooting at us and suddenly a teammate of ours spawned right behind him. He didn't have a chance. I saw the exact same thing happen like less than a minute later.

Otherwise, I don't have any big complaint on spawning. That was the only bad spawns I noticed.

[quote name='Hoffer']I saw bad spawning twice on Hotel. Two of us had a guy pinned down behind a car. He was shooting at us and suddenly a teammate of ours spawned right behind him. He didn't have a chance. I saw the exact same thing happen like less than a minute later.

Otherwise, I don't have any big complaint on spawning. That was the only bad spawns I noticed.[/QUOTE]

I've had that happen a few times, but it's not just that.

The ability to pin down a team in their spawn is way too easy. There was a point where I literally felt bad because they had no chance to even get out.

Dry Dock comes to mind especially, you take that middle section, the other team has 0 chance of getting out.

If people are mainly complaining about spawns and paying for skins... this is awesome.

I think they can easily remedy the spawn situation with a patch, just editing the spawn spots. Doesn't seem hard?

Ok, so I bought the console bundle and set it up earlier today. I transferred all my data and got my profile and Live up and running. I party up with a few friends and try to play some Horde. I immediately notice the chat is all garbled and breaking up. After a few more people join the chat I can barely make out that they are saying it's only on my end. We join the game and it's so laggy.

I reset my router and modem and things seemed better for a few minutes but the chat started acting up again and I started lagging again.

I never had these issues with my old console and the wireless adapter. Isn't the wireless in these new consoles supposed to be stronger (N?) then the old standard of wireless G?

My controller also kept disconnecting on me too.

I made a post about this over at Gamefaqs and a few people were saying they were having the same issues. Does anyone have any idea what the reasoning could be? It doesn't seem to make any sense considering my old console uses the adapter that is wireless G and the new console has wireless N built in.

And yes, I have a Netgear wireless N router.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']If people are mainly complaining about spawns and paying for skins... this is awesome.

I think they can easily remedy the spawn situation with a patch, just editing the spawn spots. Doesn't seem hard?[/QUOTE]

The spawns were this bad in the beta. They've gone unchanged. What's to say they'll even address them?

[quote name='ravens52bears54']And yes, I have a Netgear wireless N router.[/QUOTE]

You have a shitty brand router, but I aside from that, I don't know.

[quote name='Trakan']The spawns were this bad in the beta. They've gone unchanged. What's to say they'll even address them?
[/QUOTE]

I still contest that you did not literally SEE people spawn nearly as much in the beta compared to the retail version.

Heads up. If anyone ordered a copy of GOW 3 for a code or whatever. Amazon has listed the trade in-Value @ $40.50 So if you did walmart bundle (game & controller) or Amazon you will just about break even. I don't know what people payed for taxes & S&H

[quote name='knightsmith']Heads up. If anyone ordered a copy of GOW 3 for a code or whatever. Amazon has listed the trade in-Value @ $40.50 So if you did walmart bundle (game & controller) or Amazon you will just about break even. I don't know what people payed for taxes & S&H[/QUOTE]

Wow. If it's even capable of hating Gears 3, that's an excellent TIV for Amazon.

Side note: Looking for people interested in playing bots/Horde/Beast. Maybe Campaign too, but I'm only playing it when a specific friend is on. Not a big Gears MP fan, though I might play in a good group, and could hold my own.

20 people on my friends list, 8 of them have Gears... only play with two of them. >_>

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Ok, so I bought the console bundle and set it up earlier today. ....[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I have a Slim 4GB (with 80 GB HDD from my old one) and last night I didn't experience any lag at all playing coop campaign. I'm even on DSL and I was hosting the game. The only thing I noticed with chat is that after you fail a mission, while it starts to reload, the chat cuts in and out, but then when the load is done it's fine again. Oh, I'm not using N, though. My router is the one built into my DSL modem, which is G.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Ok, so I bought the console bundle and set it up earlier today. I transferred all my data and got my profile and Live up and running. I party up with a few friends and try to play some Horde. I immediately notice the chat is all garbled and breaking up. After a few more people join the chat I can barely make out that they are saying it's only on my end. We join the game and it's so laggy.

I reset my router and modem and things seemed better for a few minutes but the chat started acting up again and I started lagging again.

I never had these issues with my old console and the wireless adapter. Isn't the wireless in these new consoles supposed to be stronger (N?) then the old standard of wireless G?

My controller also kept disconnecting on me too.

I made a post about this over at Gamefaqs and a few people were saying they were having the same issues. Does anyone have any idea what the reasoning could be? It doesn't seem to make any sense considering my old console uses the adapter that is wireless G and the new console has wireless N built in.

And yes, I have a Netgear wireless N router.[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing about people having wireless problems with the LE console, so it's not just you. Don't know how widespread the problem is, though.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']

And yes, I have a Netgear wireless N router.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trakan']

You have a shitty brand router, but I aside from that, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

LOL. GameFAQs is a joke, I'd never post or take any serious information from that website.

For what it's worth, just because you have an N router doesn't mean you're able to utilize "N speeds" and N RATED speeds are quoted as UP TO, as in you can hit UP to that rated 802.11x standard, not that you will and I can almost gurantee no one will.

Make sure you don't have a shitty internet connection and make sure it's not the proximity, or lack there of, of your xbox to the access point.

I experienced the spawn camping on Drydocks my first time playing it, it sucked, my team got pushed back to our spawn and the enemy team took the middle, nothing we could do about it and every time I or anyone else tried to push mid we got lancered/hammered/retro'd down.

I don't have a problem with the spawn points as much as I do the spawn system, 9 times out of 10 I die because I'm fighting with someone and then their whole team spawns behind me.

I've barely been breaking even much less positive when I've been using the gnasher, I switched to the DBS and used it without switching back, I started going positive again...............I hate it.

Well, that helps my impression of the MP...

I decided to play some TDM to get the achievement/skin, and the first time it froze when joining a game. Dashboarding leads to me being logged out roughly twice, after I get back into the game, and then another disconnect when it fails to find any servers.. Got into another, and after I killed someone, it lagged indefinitely and everyone was frozen. :|

I did get into one good game, though, and it was decent.

I just beat the game (OBVIOUS SPOILERS), but im still a little confused.

So i get that lambent is a parasite, you could see that in gears 2 when a lambent locust died and the glowing juice ran up and into another locust in a cutscene. But why did the regular Locust come above earth and start killing people on Eday in the first place? Why does Myrrah love her locust so much? Where did the locust come from. Just seems like a lot of questions, at least for me, surrounding Adam Fenix, Myrrah, and what was going on between her, him, the locust, humans, and all that. Seems like the Labment was the real enemy.

[quote name='popular penguin']I don't understand the story of the sires. Anyone care to explain it to me?[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention that too, i dont understand them.

Im guess we will get campaign DLC that involves
baird looking on the disc adam fenix gives him and it will help explain things that are left unanswered... at least i hope.

yeah... the multiplayer isnt for me. loving the story mode though. i just finished act 4 and ill be doing act 5 later tonight, or in the morning. the end of act 3 pissed me off, although i saw it coming.

One thing that bugs me the most so far, is rolling. If someone downs you as you roll, you tend to jump back to where you were pre-roll and most of the time its a more vulnerable spot. There are times where I'm downed, and clearly made it to cover, and it will "glitch" back to where before I rolled...pisses me off!

Just found out you can boost your K/D along with medals, ribbons, etc. by just doing private matches against bots. Went from a 0.9 to a 1.6 so guess I won't be doing that anymore lol.

bread's done
Back