Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='dotCody']Brumaks are in Horde?! Daaaaaamn[/QUOTE]

had two of them spawn in a boss wave last night, shit was wild.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've seen an estimate of 2000 hours. Crazy.

And yeah, I unlocked Lambency the very first time I chainsawed someone, in the first match I played. It's not something you need to boost for.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. Second achievement I got since I went to multi player. Just started playing Campaign and it's been fun so far.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Please explain?[/QUOTE]

Rapid Fire X button on the Thrashball Machine up to 2000 times. It's the 'Manipulate X number of objects in Campaign' Medal.

Is it just me or does through retro lancer absolutely suck compared to the regular lancer? The only thing it has going for it is the stab on the run. Good luck getting that with any consistency. The accuracy seems awful compared to the regular lance.

retro lancer sucks indeed, but it is a nice challange stab the enemy on the run.

Edit : Achievement Unlocked : Lambency.

Last edited by a moderator:
The retro does FAR more damage than the regular lancer. The problem is, it's really only useful close-medium range. I use it all the time instead of the gnasher - my standards won't let me use the gnasher without feeling like I just molested a whole preschool.

I used the Sawed-Off for the first time in multiplayer earlier. 4 kills in 1 shot. It will stand alongside my Retro everyday of the week.

[quote name='KingBroly']Rapid Fire X button on the Thrashball Machine up to 2000 times. It's the 'Manipulate X number of objects in Campaign' Medal.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the alarms on checkout be easier?

[quote name='Ziv']Is it just me or does through retro lancer absolutely suck compared to the regular lancer? The only thing it has going for it is the stab on the run. Good luck getting that with any consistency. The accuracy seems awful compared to the regular lance.[/QUOTE]
It was a lot better in the BETA until some little girls started crying and whining. :roll:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wouldn't the alarms on checkout be easier?[/QUOTE]
One time use per round.

[quote name='KingBroly']I used the Sawed-Off for the first time in multiplayer earlier. 4 kills in 1 shot. It will stand alongside my Retro everyday of the week.[/QUOTE]

lol that thing is hilarious. I switched my starting to the retro for a bit today and my opinion of it changed, i think its a solid weapon. the damage is very high, if you play in the mid/close ranges i think its better than the hammerburst and lancer.

[quote name='el swordo']Beat it earlier but hit start during credits. Was there anything after?[/QUOTE]

Nope.... LOL i was hoping for a voice saying something. But nothing.

Is it me or is the campaign really easy on Hardcore in single player? I'm on Act 3-3 and I've died maybe 3 times. I've been downed plenty but the seemingly invincible AI always revives me. On the other hand, they like to block my shots and take my cover spots. That's one thing I love about Uncharted. The campaign is made for one player then there are separate modes for those that want to play co-op.

[quote name='dotCody']It was a lot better in the BETA until some little girls started crying and whining. :roll:

One time use per round.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any problems with the Retro Lancer, its still a beast when used properly just like in Beta.

As for the alarms...didn't know that, but then again, isn't the TV in Trashball once per match (not round) so it seems it would still take longer.

[quote name='dotCody']It was a lot better in the BETA until some little girls started crying and whining. :roll:

One time use per round.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any problems with the Retro Lancer, its still a beast when used properly just like in Beta.

As for the alarms...didn't know that, but then again, isn't the TV in Trashball once per match (not round) so it seems it would still take longer.

-----------

Anyone here beat Horde yet?

Got to level 30 and had 2 Lambent Berserkers running and jumping wildly. I ended up being the last guy on our team with one Berserker, I had to purchase ammo twice and in the end he (she?) kicked my ass. We restarted the round but got disconnected shortly after. :/

Is horde not on dedicated servers?

[quote name='Killbomb']Is it me or is the campaign really easy on Hardcore in single player? I'm on Act 3-3 and I've died maybe 3 times. I've been downed plenty but the seemingly invincible AI always revives me. On the other hand, they like to block my shots and take my cover spots. That's one thing I love about Uncharted. The campaign is made for one player then there are separate modes for those that want to play co-op.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's quite easy. I've died way less on Hardcore in Gears 3 than I did on Casual in Gears 1. I think, like you said, they majorly improved the squadmate AI, but didn't rebalance the enemies to compensate.

[quote name='grrouchie']Got my epic edition today - a bit dissapointed that it did not include a steelbook.

Thinking about returning it.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I got a free SteelBook from Future Shop :applause:

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's because you have 3 AI teamates that immediately revive you all the time. It was only 1 in the other games - so yeah, campaign is way easy in 3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've also seen the AI take hits that would normally kill me. They made them TOO good this time after being almost useless in the other games...lol. I imagine it'd be a fair bit harder in co-op when everyone is equally vulnerable. Hopefully Insane will be a bit of a challenge solo.

I've had a positive KDR streak all night playing by myself and randoms, just finished 17 and 7 using the sawed off and HB, but I'm still getting screwed on the sawed off, there's like "blind spots" with it depending on the angle you shoot at someone.

They can be right on top of you and still to the right and it will miss. Guess I'm still getting the total feel for it but I'm getting it. Playing conservatively yields a higher KDR.

Im trying to get every execution achievement, but for some reason i cant do them with the one shot or mortar. Do they have to be unlocked? I try pressing Y or X and neither button works. What button do i have to do? I didnt have to unlock them with any other gun. The only ones i need are Hammer of Dawn, One Shot, Mortar, Mulcher, and Cleaver. Are there any MP maps with the cleaver, or is that single player only?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im trying to get every execution achievement, but for some reason i cant do them with the one shot or mortar. Do they have to be unlocked? I try pressing Y or X and neither button works. What button do i have to do? I didnt have to unlock them with any other gun. The only ones i need are Hammer of Dawn, One Shot, Mortar, Mulcher, and Cleaver. Are there any MP maps with the cleaver, or is that single player only?[/QUOTE]
I'm having problems with the Hammer of Dawn, One Shot, Mortar, and Mulcher, too. I was able to get the Cleaver and do its execution in both Horde Mode and Campaign. Didn't have to unlock the execution for it, but for some reason it didn't trigger the Cleaver's execution the first time I tried to do it.

Irrelevant but the gears console is gone here at my Target, was probably gone at opening on Tuesday, thankfully Amazon is matching this promo and they have the console in stock. I don't think its possible to get any gaming deals at my Target unless you are standing at the door on opening the day it goes live, again thankfully Amazon matches most if not all of them.

[quote name='Trakan']
You have a shitty brand router, but I aside from that, I don't know.[/QUOTE]
Really? Care to offer your opinion on what router I should be using? Because I've never had a single problme with this thing up until this fucking Gears console. I've been gaming with my PS3, fat 360 with wireless G adapter and so has my wife on her consoles. We've also had our phones, netbook and touchpad connected to it (not at the same time mind you) with no issues whatsoever.
[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I've been hearing about people having wireless problems with the LE console, so it's not just you. Don't know how widespread the problem is, though.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, and thanks for the response. I only had a handful of people reply to my thread over at Gamefaqs and of the few only one or two said they were also having issues.
[quote name='hustletron']LOL. GameFAQs is a joke, I'd never post or take any serious information from that website.

For what it's worth, just because you have an N router doesn't mean you're able to utilize "N speeds" and N RATED speeds are quoted as UP TO, as in you can hit UP to that rated 802.11x standard, not that you will and I can almost gurantee no one will.

Make sure you don't have a shitty internet connection and make sure it's not the proximity, or lack there of, of your xbox to the access point.

[/QUOTE]
Oh, I know. But I tried here and Gamefaqs because they are the two most prevelant communities that I know. And I mostly just use this site for deals.

All I know is that I have a Netgear WNR2000 which is wireless N 2.4Ghz. Apparently the console also runs at 2.4Ghz so I should be golden.

Someone at Gamefaqs did say that I need to forward ports and some othe rbullshit, which is also the same thing @XboxSupport told me on Twitter. But I have two problems with that. 1) Why should I deal with that when I haven't had a single issue up to this point? 2)The last time I missed with port forwarding and the like in my router settings it completely screwed up my connection with the other console so I'm very leary about doing that.

I did return the bundle for a new one at Best Buy in the hopes that maybe I got a lemon although I don't think that's it. I'm going to test it tomorrow.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im trying to get every execution achievement, but for some reason i cant do them with the one shot or mortar. Do they have to be unlocked? I try pressing Y or X and neither button works. What button do i have to do? I didnt have to unlock them with any other gun. The only ones i need are Hammer of Dawn, One Shot, Mortar, Mulcher, and Cleaver. Are there any MP maps with the cleaver, or is that single player only?[/QUOTE]

40 kills with each except shotguns/rifles. You can use the unique executes in single player without unlocking them or just kill the amount you need in horde mode (or any type of MP) on casual. And the cleaver execution is awesome!

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Really? Care to offer your opinion on what router I should be using? Because I've never had a single problme with this thing up until this fucking Gears console.[/QUOTE]

I had a Netgear router provided to me from my cable company and always had problems connecting to people or hearing them online. A friend told me it was the router and to buy a Linksys. It took some convincing but I finally did it and haven't had a problem since.

You should definitely have the correct ports open though. Even if it's worked fine til now.

I'm using the wireless on the GOW console with no problems. It might be your console and I'm using it on a 2 bar connection.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Really? Care to offer your opinion on what router I should be using? Because I've never had a single problme with this thing up until this fucking Gears console. I've been gaming with my PS3, fat 360 with wireless G adapter and so has my wife on her consoles. We've also had our phones, netbook and touchpad connected to it (not at the same time mind you) with no issues whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Port Forwarding.

Linksys/Cisco > NetGear

Regarding getting the execution achievement, it's easier to do all those in the campaign, it also counts in the campaign and you don't have to unlock them. That's where I got my mortar/boomshoot/hammer/ etc executions and all the other regular weapon executions done already.

[quote name='6er']What the crap is wrong with the matchmaking system. By FAR the worst I've ever seen. I just spent 15 minutes in horde and the other modes trying to find a match. It seems like they are running b rate servers that can only handle 14 or 20 matches at a time considering that is all there ever is. It's sad when homefront has a better matchmaking system.

And i just started seeing the enemy won't die issue. Shot the guy point blank with a shotgun TWICE and he hits me once and takes me down and goes on to take out a teammate that was also shooting him.[/QUOTE]

Dead on about matchmaking. What gives it happened in gow2 and now this. I'm on verizon fios with nat type open and sometimes it could take up to 10 mins to find a match. Then comes another shitty thing is once you get a game going ppl just drop out and that leaves you with nothing. Horde is meant to be 5 players it's not as fun when it's wave 30 and theres only 3 of us when really 1 guy is alive while the other is dead and watching.

Probably just had the most epic comeback in a shooting game ever (at least for me). They had 11 spawns left and I was the last one standing basically leaving it 5v1 for awhile, and I killed 10 in a row leaving it a 1v1 as time ran out so I didn't finish the match with 11 kills in a row, but gave the team a draw. Don't think I could ever do that again.

It was that market/old town level and they kept forgetting to guard the boom shot, so I got like 6+ kills from that alone, and used a gnasher.

I didn't get the clutch achievement since it was a stalement. It was pretty intense regardless, wish this game had replays.

I just played a few rounds of Beast and its pretty fun. Love using the grenadier. (shotty+frag) Its pretty fun using the Berserker too. Matchmaking seems to take a while though. Maybe cos my shitty internet speed? IDK.

EDIT: Played some more, the centipede feels really effective. I killed someone using each beast for the achievement. I kind of feel like beast mode is too fast. Then again it can take up to 20-25 minutes so i guess its a quick game for those who dont want to play hours of horde.

I am sure this is old news but here is the info for port forwarding from MS:
Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open:
  • Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
Note If you cannot chat with someone using Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).

If you're connected to a network through your workplace or school, ask the network administrator to open the above ports used by Xbox LIVE.

If you receive a NAT warning when connecting to Xbox LIVE, please see the following article: 979000 Error: Your NAT type is set to strict (or moderate)

hahahha...I can see the network admin looking at you and then saying "umm...no" after you ask them to open the ports so you can play xbox through the school or work connection.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Then again it can take up to 20-25 minutes so i guess its a quick game for those who dont want to play hours of horde.[/QUOTE]

That's my only complaint about horde, it can take a while. I got in a match with randoms before 10PM last night, and we made it up to level 41 before I had to call it quits. That was after midnight. We'd already had one guy drop at that point, and we tried several times to get through level 41, so I just had to call it a night. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised we even made it past level 40. We got
lambent berserkers
in the boss wave, wow, crazy hard to take down. Is the trick to shoot the glowing thing in his chest when it opens? I ended up finishing him off with a torque bow shot to the face.

[quote name='100xp']hahahha...I can see the network admin looking at you and then saying "umm...no" after you ask them to open the ports so you can play xbox through the school or work connection.[/QUOTE]
Well with most schools they have muti-networks. and I do have the network set-up for students to have the wii,xbox & PS3 with the ports open. so it depends on the school

Beat Horde on normal last night...or this morning.

Did the last 20 matches with 4 people since one guy left, and OMG there are waves that seem nearly impossible, but it seems that as your team dies on a wave over and over and over, the game goes a bit easier on you...and not by much. Ammo boxes will be cheaper, and each boss wave that we kept dying on we kept getting different bosses. I honestly don't know how Horde can be completed on any level higher than normal...shit was freaking hard.

bread's done
Back