Gears of War - General Discussion 2 - Re-release 6/24 w/Maps and Extras (No PC Stuff)

[quote name='Trakan'] I don't need to worry about getting one. Also, unless you have host, are on the host team, or have a christ-like connection, the shotgun is useless.[/QUOTE]
That's true. The most powerful weapon in the game is the host's shotgun.

[quote name='rabbitt']Haven't played Gears in a long while. Wonder if I still remember how?[/quote]

You better remember quick and get your ass back on soon. We've got some co-op and ranked matches to play yo.

[quote name='craven_fiend']You better remember quick and get your ass back on soon. We've got some co-op and ranked matches to play yo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah. My 360 goes out tomorrow.

[quote name='craven_fiend']You're just now sending it off?

Damn you rabbitt. No old Xbox?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I had things to do. Like procrastinate.

ummm any word on any new overhead views of raven down or old bones? Ayone knows, please post, thanks a lot. I would draw them out myself, but I, too am a proscratinator

[quote name='TRULYBLESSED']ummm any word on any new overhead views of raven down or old bones? Ayone knows, please post, thanks a lot. I would draw them out myself, but I, too am a proscratinator[/QUOTE]

The maps are really simple man.

As a matter of fact, you Paypal me 10 bucks, and I'll make overhead maps for you.

[quote name='jimfoley16']The maps are really simple man.

As a matter of fact, you Paypal me 10 bucks, and I'll make overhead maps for you.[/quote]

hustlaaa

[quote name='Trakan']That's why it's the most important though. If you don't want the other team doing that to you, you have to get the snipes. For me, the least important weapon is the shotgun. I always have one. I don't need to worry about getting one. Also, unless you have host, are on the host team, or have a christ-like connection, the shotgun is useless.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you are saying, but I tend to leave the sniper behind as I am not too good with it. I can active reload down just fine, but my headshot skill is lacking. I prefer the boom or the torque bow as I have much better aim with them.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I agree with what you are saying, but I tend to leave the sniper behind as I am not too good with it. I can active reload down just fine, but my headshot skill is lacking. I prefer the boom or the torque bow as I have much better aim with them.[/QUOTE]

Try hosting, and then use the sniper. It's night and day.

[quote name='jimfoley16']The maps are really simple man.

As a matter of fact, you Paypal me 10 bucks, and I'll make overhead maps for you.[/quote]

HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HA!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That'd be sweet, hope it happens.[/QUOTE]

Me too, i actually havent played GoW multiplayer since...well since the last time i posted in the GoW thread(think maybe discussion 1).

I would def be down to get the full 1 k in GoW if i can do it while having fun with my friends and not having to play with random idiots that wont work as a team.

[quote name='TRULYBLESSED']HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HA![/QUOTE]

Hey man if you're gonna bitch about them repeatedly I thought you might be willing to throw down some loot so that you and your cronies could improve.

Don't knock the hustle man.

Wow, I'm pretty awful at this game. I can't tell if my skills are just really poor or I've been playing too many different kinds of games (a little Ninja Gaiden, beat Crackdown, and now on to Gears), or maybe Crackdown left me with this superman complex I can't quite shake, but I'm dying a lot, in the first real level (after the prison), on "Casual."

I suck. :p

[quote name='daroga']Wow, I'm pretty awful at this game. I can't tell if my skills are just really poor or I've been playing too many different kinds of games (a little Ninja Gaiden, beat Crackdown, and now on to Gears), or maybe Crackdown left me with this superman complex I can't quite shake, but I'm dying a lot, in the first real level (after the prison), on "Casual."

I suck. :p[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you do.

[quote name='daroga']Wow, I'm pretty awful at this game. I can't tell if my skills are just really poor or I've been playing too many different kinds of games (a little Ninja Gaiden, beat Crackdown, and now on to Gears), or maybe Crackdown left me with this superman complex I can't quite shake, but I'm dying a lot, in the first real level (after the prison), on "Casual."

I suck. :p[/quote]

hit me with a friend request and we can play co op sometime

[quote name='mr ryles']Yes, yes you do.[/quote]Should I not being trying to chainsaw every enemy? Maybe that's my problem. ;)

[quote name='craven_fiend']Thats about where I am at. I am debating whether or not to take the torque or not.[/QUOTE]

take the torque bow and then take the RIGHT path with Baird & cole. Head to the end of the path and run to the bridge between the two ramps. Use the bridge as cover and use the torque bow to blow up the enemies as they pop down either ramp.

That was one of the hardest levels in the game. Took me a good 20 tries to figure it out on hardcore.

How come every ranked game I play a bunch of 10-14 year olds are always the ones playing? I just don't use the mic anymore because of this.

[quote name='DomLando']How come every ranked game I play a bunch of 10-14 year olds are always the ones playing? I just don't use the mic anymore because of this.[/QUOTE]

I would rather have them then these same UK guys. Anytime I play UK it seems the connection lags horribly. With the kids, I still get a good connection and a lot of kills :)

[quote name='DomLando']How come every ranked game I play a bunch of 10-14 year olds are always the ones playing? I just don't use the mic anymore because of this.[/quote]
Either kids or angry nerds who take the game way too seriously. Though I did meet a guy on the opposing team who was kept chainsaw glitching my team. This guy was really terrorizing my team. So I decided it would be fair to chainsaw glitch him. I glitched him at least 6 times back and even regular chainsawed him when he was trying to glitch me. We won and that guy wasn't too happy, I hope I crushed his spirit.

Mind you I dont glitch in games but if they're gonna glitch me, I think it's justified to give them a taste of their own jackassery. It's a lot like the situation of super jumping in halo 2.

[quote name='dastly75']Either kids or angry nerds who take the game way too seriously. Though I did meet a guy on the opposing team who was kept chainsaw glitching my team. This guy was really terrorizing my team. So I decided it would be fair to chainsaw glitch him. I glitched him at least 6 times back and even regular chainsawed him when he was trying to glitch me. We won and that guy wasn't too happy, I hope I crushed his spirit.

Mind you I dont glitch in games but if they're gonna glitch me, I think it's justified to give them a taste of their own jackassery. It's a lot like the situation of super jumping in halo 2.[/quote]

Definitely. Once they do it, it's fair game.

[quote name='Greetard']What's the chainsaw glitch?[/quote]

It's basically somebody doing the roadie run with their chainsaw revved at all times. It's a really weird run too, you can turn corners on a dime and shit with it. If you go anywhere near them you get sucked into it.

Well, spenty more time with the game tonight. Died much less. I like the tactical portions of it, but something just seems a bit off in the controls. Maybe it's just the not being able to jump thing that's throwing me, but it just feels off. I dunno, maybe it's something I have to get used to. At this point, though, I'm glad I didn't blow $460 on the 360 and GoW when it hit like I was so tempted to.

Anyone else have a similar experience when you were starting the game and have it turn around once you got father in?

Lesson: if you are mad at your girlfriend, even if you are totally the one not at fault, DO NOT throw your Gears of War. It tends to split in half....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[quote name='DomLando']How come every ranked game I play a bunch of 10-14 year olds are always the ones playing? I just don't use the mic anymore because of this.[/QUOTE]

agreed, though what bothers me the most is when people start to rap and wont shut up.

[quote name='daroga']Well, spenty more time with the game tonight. Died much less. I like the tactical portions of it, but something just seems a bit off in the controls. Maybe it's just the not being able to jump thing that's throwing me, but it just feels off. I dunno, maybe it's something I have to get used to. At this point, though, I'm glad I didn't blow $460 on the 360 and GoW when it hit like I was so tempted to.

Anyone else have a similar experience when you were starting the game and have it turn around once you got father in?[/quote]

I thought I was the only one! Funny, but when I first started playing the game, I was terrible and really didn't find it very fun. I started on easy and just couldn't get past the part right after the COG tag is pointed out to you in the second level. The controls just felt wonky.

I put the game down and then came back to it a couple days later and restarted it. I payed more attention to the controls and hints in the tutorial level and the controls soon felt like second nature and I got sucked into it. I've now played through the game three times SP and once Co-Op and absolutely loved it. It took awhile to grow on me so hopefully if you stick with it you'll really enjoy it. I never took the time to get into MP, though.

Finally beat the game on insane a couple weeks ago. The hardest part of the game was taking over that damn underground platform at the end of act III. You really get sick of hearing "I don't think I can count that high" ;)

-Bob

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']agreed, though what bothers me the most is when people start to rap and wont shut up.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That happened to me today. I just shut the volume off on the microphone. Kids these days...

Random question. Was playing Gears last night, and was tired, so I couldn't quite figure out what was casuing this, but using the Hammer of Dawn to kill the seeders I noticed that the lights on the controller were "spinning," every other light being on and then rotating. Is that something silly in the game, was my controller flipping out? I never had any problems with communication between the controller and the system during that time. It's the wireless, offical controller.

[quote name='BREVITY']Your Batteries are close to dead; the Hammer of Dawn uses them harder than other weapons.[/quote]Huh, see that's why I thought, but the console says it has 3/4 bars left. Weird.

[quote name='daroga']Huh, see that's why I thought, but the console says it has 3/4 bars left. Weird.[/QUOTE]

That happens all the time. The bar up at the top seems like an indicator rather than an accurate way to predict battery life. When you turn the console on 9 times out of 10 it will have 3 bars at the top even if the controller is near dead.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That happens all the time. The bar up at the top seems like an indicator rather than an accurate way to predict battery life. When you turn the console on 9 times out of 10 it will have 3 bars at the top even if the controller is near dead.[/quote]Sure enough. The controller conked out on me playing Gears yesterday afternoon.

Just finished act 1 on hardcore. Phew, that wasn't too bad. I'm getting the hang of this now. I didn't even do it on co op. Now i am at the point in Act 2 where i have to defeat a corpser.

That's going to be a long act.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Just finished act 1 on hardcore. Phew, that wasn't too bad. I'm getting the hang of this now. I didn't even do it on co op. Now i am at the point in Act 2 where i have to defeat a corpser.

That's going to be a long act.[/QUOTE]

I'm doing insane now and am on the last act... pain in the ass.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Just finished act 1 on hardcore. Phew, that wasn't too bad. I'm getting the hang of this now. I didn't even do it on co op. Now i am at the point in Act 2 where i have to defeat a corpser.

That's going to be a long act.[/quote]

Unless I'm mistaken, the corpser is Act III.

I need help in defeating Raam on Insane. I think it's damn near impossible to beat him alone. I'm right at the last checkpoint right before you fight him. If anyone's interested in helping out, I'd appreciate it. PM me.

Rolento, seems like you're practically at the same spot. Not sure if you made it through (and if you did, MAD props), but if you're interested, let me know. Thanks.

[quote name='cag1125']I need help in defeating Raam on Insane. I think it's damn near impossible to beat him alone. I'm right at the last checkpoint right before you fight him. If anyone's interested in helping out, I'd appreciate it. PM me.

Rolento, seems like you're practically at the same spot. Not sure if you made it through (and if you did, MAD props), but if you're interested, let me know. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I did it on my own.

I used a combination of the Longshot and Torque Bow. Hit him in the face with the sniper when he's far away, and blind fire him with the Torque Bow when he's near you -- that and chuck grenades over your shoulder.

Do all of this from the first barrier.

(That's what I did, anyway.)

[quote name='Brak']I did it on my own.

I used a combination of the Longshot and Torque Bow. Hit him in the face with the sniper when he's far away, and blind fire him with the Torque Bow when he's near you -- that and chuck grenades over your shoulder.

Do all of this from the first barrier.

(That's what I did, anyway.)[/QUOTE]

I took RAAM down by myself in Hardcore with the Torque Bow and Lancer. I used all my Torque Bows at the beginning and then started Lancering. He never made it close to me. I haven't tried this strategy on Insane but I plan on it.

A question for the folks who've played through Gears (probably multiple times).

I'm feeling the pacing of this game to just be off. I know it's not very long, and I've not had a whole lot of time to play it, but I'm wondering if the game "picks up" at some point? I'm at the abandoned house right now, on my way to get the junker car. Do I have some "wow" moments coming up that are really fun?

I'm not really looking for spoilers or anything. It's just that I'm not getting pulled into this game and wondering if, by this time, I'm not enthralled with it, am I going to be in the near future? I can't really say anything is wrong with this game, it's just really not scratching my entertainment itch at this point. Any thoughts?

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I thought the pacing was good.[/quote]Yeah, I don't think pacing was the right word. It just hasn't pulled me in at this point, nor does the combat system feel all that fun. I dunno.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, I don't think pacing was the right word. It just hasn't pulled me in at this point, nor does the combat system feel all that fun. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Hey go back to your Nintendoz noob!!!

No, seriously, let's play a game some time ;)

bread's done
Back