Gears Of War - General info and Discussion #1 (MODS LOCK PLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Pylis']That does it. I'm sick of damn ranked matches. I'm sick of kicking major ass in a game, say, having 15 kills and one or two deaths, and then not having the match count towards my stats. And then, in the next game, when my team loses, even if it's a three on four with us being the side with fewer people, that's when it affects my stats. What the hell is with this? I've had at least three or four major victories simply never appear on my stats at all. Considering I've only played about 10-15 games, my record falsely shows that I'm about the worst Gears of War player of all time.[/quote]

Yea, thats why I try not to play Ranked matches to much.

Makes me very curious on how the 1st place guy got there... most definetally not legit. Or he works at Epic.

Those rank matches are broke. I'd play 10-14 ranked matches, and 2-5 would be recorded.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, thats why I try not to play Ranked matches to much.

Makes me very curious on how the 1st place guy got there... most definetally not legit. Or he works at Epic.

Those rank matches are broke. I'd play 10-14 ranked matches, and 2-5 would be recorded.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I want to get the ranked game achievements, but the broken recording always seems to skew against me rather than in my favor and it really just makes me not want to play.

[quote name='Pylis']I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I want to get the ranked game achievements, but the broken recording always seems to skew against me rather than in my favor and it really just makes me not want to play.[/quote]

All of the stats for the acheivements are still tracked. Many people (including myself) have gotten the acheivement for a 100 something even though the ranked stats don't say it.

[quote name='Mattte']All of the stats for the acheivements are still tracked. Many people (including myself) have gotten the acheivement for a 100 something even though the ranked stats don't say it.[/quote]

It was explained a little earlier in here, but your ranked achievements are all tracked, but they might not show up under details on your TV. The reason for this is say you kill someone in a match and either you leave or that certain person leaves, the stats do not go into details, but are still recorded.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am relatively sure that if anyone quits a ranked match, it invalidates most of the scoring for everyone in the game.[/QUOTE]

not true, i've had matches where people left and it still counts. it seems to be random when it counts and doesn't count. As i said earlier I was in a game where the host left and the game dropped and my stats still counted, weird as fuck.

[quote name='Mattte']All of the stats for the acheivements are still tracked. Many people (including myself) have gotten the acheivement for a 100 something even though the ranked stats don't say it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm aware of this, and thankfully this is true. The thing is I'm a stats whore and it bothers me to have my stats say that I've only won 30% of matches or died more than I've killed because the game doesn't want to record my stats properly. Sure, it's irrational, I know, but I can't help it.

Would anyone like to run through CAMPAIGN on INSANE tonight with me? Soon? Im on right now add me and send me a message if you would like to. Im down with the whole thing.

Whos with me?!

Add:
DarkNessBearX

if your up for it! PLEASE!

*ADDED
*OMG, INSANE is INSANE, how do you guys beat this shit?!?*

Just got the game on Friday and beat it today, it was really short but REALLY fun. Sorry for being lazy and not looking through the thread but whenever I try to join a game on Live it says it can't connect or some BS like that, does anyone know what the problem is? Is it my internet or is this a common problem? Thanks.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Would anyone like to run through CAMPAIGN on INSANE tonight with me? Soon? Im on right now add me and send me a message if you would like to. Im down with the whole thing.

Whos with me?!

Add:
DarkNessBearX

if your up for it! PLEASE!

*ADDED
*OMG, INSANE is INSANE, how do you guys beat this shit?!?*[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad. I actually found my Insane run considerably easier than my Hardcore run, since I knew what I was doing.

Cover is your god, and you need to try to throw grenades into emergence holes as often as possible.

[quote name='whiteboy']Just got the game on Friday and beat it today, it was really short but REALLY fun. Sorry for being lazy and not looking through the thread but whenever I try to join a game on Live it says it can't connect or some BS like that, does anyone know what the problem is? Is it my internet or is this a common problem? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have it a couple times. I normally just join most of the top games in my search as I seem to join those alot easier. I run mine off a router that two xboxs run off. As for you shooting a host point blank and you dying... thats what we call host advantage (it has nothing to do with your connection). Something only a patch can handle.

[quote name='Pylis']It's not that bad. I actually found my Insane run considerably easier than my Hardcore run, since I knew what I was doing.

Cover is your god, and you need to try to throw grenades into emergence holes as often as possible.[/quote]

My buddy and I played through all of Hardcore, and the experience of that coupled with we already worked really well together made Insane go really smoothly. I was a little pissed when we got to Raam and he was easier on Insane than he was on Hardcore because he got stuck on a box or something and just sat there hardly shooting us, but taking Torque Bow shots like nobody's business. Going to go back and down him with shotguns one of these nights. =)

It's a growing concern: chicken shit!

More and more, I'm in matches where if it's one or two guys left, they are literally running away across the maps and avoiding skirmishes. There's retreating and going on the defensive, then there's just fuck face chicken shits where all they do is fire one or two shots and run all across the map.

Ok, winning is the priority, I understand that. But if you really feel that emotional about winning, then take it to the ranking matches. There is a clear difference between a skilled player who dashes back and waits for the opponent than someone who just runs from one end to the next without a strategy except to run out the timer. Save that shit for money tournaments bitch!

I actually don't give a damn. If I'm the last guy left, I'll charge head on just so the round ends. What's the worse that will happen - I'll get gibbed and get to play again WOW! It's not like my dick is going to fall off.

[quote name='Transformah']I'll agree with that, nintendokid. I hate being on that person's team and having to wait several minutes to play because they want to hide.[/quote]

My rule is, if there is a 1:30 left or less, and you know you can run back and wait for them to come to you do that. But if there is more time than that, just go for it.

You know what really grinds my gears?

When there's 2 players left and they are both shotgunning each other from long range, and are too dumb enough to realize that they can't kill each other that way.

Or when they are close up and one guy busts out his sniper rifle and tries to kill the other guy close range by firing shots with it.

...And thats what really grinds my gears.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You know what really grinds my gears?

When there's 2 players left and they are both shotgunning each other from long range, and are too dumb enough to realize that they can't kill each other that way.

Or when they are close up and one guy busts out his sniper rifle and tries to kill the other guy close range by firing shots with it.

...And thats what really grinds my gears.[/quote]
Yeah, I don't get it when two people are in a shotgun battle and in an open space, one of them starts running away... all the other person has to do is hit them with the lancer for 3 seconds and it's over.

[quote name='Pylis']It's not that bad. I actually found my Insane run considerably easier than my Hardcore run, since I knew what I was doing.

Cover is your god, and you need to try to throw grenades into emergence holes as often as possible.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Cover is absolutely essential on Insane. And yes, grenades into emergence holes will become a saving grace...ESPECIALLY when you're stuck in that dried-out fountain on Act I. But, you just have to discipline yourself to stay behind cover, and to not let Locust get anywhere near you, cause whenever they got near me, I'd usually panic, get out of cover, and usually get killed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Or when they are close up and one guy busts out his sniper rifle and tries to kill the other guy close range by firing shots with it.[/quote]

Decent strategy if you're a decent shot tho. An active reload shot is an auto-down, so it's worth it. I still prefer a good gibbing from the shotgun, or a pistol-whipping tho.

[quote name='halfbent']Decent strategy if you're a decent shot tho. An active reload shot is an auto-down, so it's worth it. I still prefer a good gibbing from the shotgun, or a pistol-whipping tho.[/QUOTE]

You might be the only that can do this. I have been in games where someone misses about 5 times with the sniper rifles before being tagged. Its pretty sad. Normally I rag on these people since they obviously can't use the weapon.

Cover is your god, and you need to try to throw grenades into emergence holes as often as possible.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you on this. I finished casual over a prolonged period and then plowed through hardcore before starting insane. On the third chapter right now and the game seems much easier. As long as you stay behind cover, nade emergence holes, and keep your distance the game isn't too hard and it isn't near as hard as reviewers tried to lead on.

I think that by now, if you are not good with the shotgun, you've maxed out your ability on the shotgun. Shit, that's me. Don't get me wrong, you can still hone it, but it'll never be as great as others. Yes, it's like a genetic limitation much like muscle fiber count and size.

Why do I believe that way? Because the shotgun requires three-fold skill to use. You have to target, you have to be aware of your own range and distance as well as your opponent's and you have to read your opponent's movement altogether at every split second interval. In other words, it's like the chess player who makes one move but has already played out the next 5 possible outcomes and possibilities in his head. I would say that average Joe's like me only have the capacity to think about the next 1-3 outcomes and possibilities.

Let's say I'm in a shotgun duel close range: by the time I squeeze my trigger and strafe right, my "genius" opponent has already fired one shot to the position in which I'm strafing in, and has already planned out that I will most likely strafe back to the left, in which he has already positioned his shotgun to my next movement wherein I fall to my knees to kowtow him as my daddy. All this goes through his head in a split-second while I'm still thinking "Ok! Hold steady, move right, OK! Now, strafe left...Oh shit! Where's he going to move?!"

I'm not discouraging anyone. But I think that in order to get better, the only way is to acknowledge your own fears and weaknesses. Maybe those who are having trouble with the shotgun should take a step back and think about what they can really hone to make the shotgun as best as it can be for themselves personally. I know that keep charging head on and getting killed 90% of the time by players whom are so good at reading movements and mindtricks won't make anyone better. I think I'm going to take this Christmas vacation off and think of some good drills to hone my shotgun skills to my max.

Share any opinions and training methods. I'm not a pro-gamer but I still take my games seriously.

[quote name='nintendokid']I think that by now, if you are not good with the shotgun, you've maxed out your ability on the shotgun. Shit, that's me. Don't get me wrong, you can still hone it, but it'll never be as great as others. Yes, it's like a genetic limitation much like muscle fiber count and size.

Why do I believe that way? Because the shotgun requires three-fold skill to use. You have to target, you have to be aware of your own range and distance as well as your opponent's and you have to read your opponent's movement altogether at every split second interval. In other words, it's like the chess player who makes one move but has already played out the next 5 possible outcomes and possibilities in his head. I would say that average Joe's like me only have the capacity to think about the next 1-3 outcomes and possibilities.

Let's say I'm in a shotgun duel close range: by the time I squeeze my trigger and strafe right, my "genius" opponent has already fired one shot to the position in which I'm strafing in, and has already planned out that I will most likely strafe back to the left, in which he has already positioned his shotgun to my next movement wherein I fall to my knees to kowtow him as my daddy. All this goes through his head in a split-second while I'm still thinking "Ok! Hold steady, move right, OK! Now, strafe left...Oh shit! Where's he going to move?!"

I'm not discouraging anyone. But I think that in order to get better, the only way is to acknowledge your own fears and weaknesses. Maybe those who are having trouble with the shotgun should take a step back and think about what they can really hone to make the shotgun as best as it can be for themselves personally. I know that keep charging head on and getting killed 90% of the time by players whom are so good at reading movements and mindtricks won't make anyone better. I think I'm going to take this Christmas vacation off and think of some good drills to hone my shotgun skills to my max.

Share any opinions and training methods. I'm not a pro-gamer but I still take my games seriously.[/quote] Do you aim? as in pulling the left trigger, if so don't, it's really a waste of time, the best way to utilize a shotty is to move around with the A button, dashing left right, the JinSanity move is the roll right like LT, roll straight to their body, BOOM BITCH.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']let me get this straight... no achievements for shotgun?... I hate that.[/quote]

Yeah I'm bummed about that too. I haven't mastered it but I'd say I win about 60-70% of shotgun duels

[quote name='ph33r m3']Do you aim? as in pulling the left trigger, if so don't, it's really a waste of time, the best way to utilize a shotty is to move around with the A button, dashing left right, the JinSanity move is the roll right like LT, roll straight to their body, BOOM BITCH.[/quote]

unless of course they aren't trigger happy and have a steady aim in which you roll right into their shot and boom you're in pieces

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah I'm bummed about that too. I haven't mastered it but I'd say I win about 60-70% of shotgun duels[/QUOTE]

yeah, the shotgun is the only bullet based bun I actually like... all the others I barely enjoy using... I hope they at least add achievements in the updates like Rare has done with kameo.

Well, 360 games have a maximum of 50 achievements and Gears already has 49. On top of that, most if not all of the added achievements for Kameo were worth 0 gamerpoints.

Speaking of achievements, the last one is going to be a total bitch to get. I figure I'll be lucky to get it before Halo 3 hits. If you snag it Epic rewards you with a hidden gamer picture that's really fucking cool though, like how you get one for beating it on Insane. Makes it almost worth it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Well, 360 games have a maximum of 50 achievements and Gears already has 49. On top of that, most if not all of the added achievements for Kameo were worth 0 gamerpoints.

Speaking of achievements, the last one is going to be a total bitch to get. I figure I'll be lucky to get it before Halo 3 hits. If you snag it Epic rewards you with a hidden gamer picture that's really fucking cool though, like how you get one for beating it on Insane. Makes it almost worth it.[/quote]
Wha...? I haven't heard of this. Whats the gamerpic for beating it on Insane? Is the other one for the 10K kills in Ranked? Do you have any pics/links to them?

Anyone tinker with the video settings yet? I find that putting it on "Vibrant" actually helps you to see your opponents better because of the glowing lines and beads on the uniforms and guns. The environments are more colored so the COGs (gray uniforms) stand out more.

Damn those gamerpics are tight. More games should reward gamers like that.

[quote name='nintendokid']Anyone tinker with the video settings yet? I find that putting it on "Vibrant" actually helps you to see your opponents better because of the glowing lines and beads on the uniforms and guns. The environments are more colored so the COGs (gray uniforms) stand out more.[/quote]

I didnt even know that there were such settings within the game. I barely found out last week that you can setup a prefered COG and Locust for Multiplayer matches.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
I didnt even know that there were such settings within the game. I barely found out last week that you can setup a prefered COG and Locust for Multiplayer matches.[/quote]

I hope you know that you can set your controller sensitivity.

[quote name='nintendokid']I hope you know that you can set your controller sensitivity.[/quote]

Nope didnt know that either, but I haven't had any problems with the default sensitivity so I probobly wont tinker with them.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Nope didnt know that either, but I haven't had any problems with the default sensitivity so I probobly wont tinker with them.[/quote]

You are gonna want to work your way into high sensitivity. You'll be able to look around so much faster and that drastically reduces the likelihood of ambushes, being outflanked, and being spooked from behind. Not only that, but you can turn around faster after every jump and you can run tighter circles (on map "Canals", being the first one to reach the sniper is its own duel itself). Don't worry, it's not like Halo setting at "10" where with one little push, and you've already turn 90 degrees. You'll suck at first because your brain and fingers have to adapt and you will lose some sniper sense but your overall effectiveness will increase. I recommend playing through a few chapters of high sensitivity before going on XBL. There's really no reason not to use it unless you truly don't care about getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back