General iPhone/iPod Touch Game Discussion

I am absolutely in LOVE with Annie's Wild Shot. This game is positively old school...and damned fun. I'd have paid the full price for this if it wasn't on sale.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Well, there's a slight problem with the situation you're describing. You can't really develop a touch application for the iPhone without...

1. Submitting it for release on the iTunes Store.
2. Owning a copy of Mac OSX.

The first point is fairly straight-forward. It is actually possible to run non-iTunes store apps on the iPhone. But the only way to do this is to use specific software to "unlock" your iPhone that isn't supported by Apple. You can go that route if you want to, but I wouldn't advise it. And the only other legitimate way to develop and test software for the iPhone is by getting a Mac iPhone developer liscence. These cost $100, which is quite reasonable, and comes with the option of submitting your App to the iTunes store. Without this liscence, it isn't possible to test Apps directly on the iPhone hardware. You can use the iPhone software emulator that comes with the SDK, but a liscence is necessary to test on the iPhone hardware itself.

And that brings us to point two. You must own a copy of Mac OSX, and have access to an Intel-powered Macintosh computer, in order to use the iPhone SDK. Without these, development for the iPhone is not possible. The iPhone SDK is necessary for getting apps running. And the only way to run the SDK is with an Intel-powered Mac running Mac OSX v10.5 or later.

If you are developing for a different touch device, then you will probably have a broader range of options. But these options will be dictated by the device in question. I can't tell you more without knowing about the specific hardware.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, we're doing iPhone app dev on a WindowsXP machine at my agency. The SDK is requires an iPhone/Touch, and some software. OSX is not necessary.

Also, there are a ton of good eBooks out there, and free guides, then there are the Stanford University free online courses, found here. Some of the eBooks my developer is using are already being updated online with OS 3.0 info.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yeah, we're doing iPhone app dev on a WindowsXP machine at my agency. The SDK is requires an iPhone/Touch, and some software. OSX is not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Reeeaaaalllly? I don't suppose you might be willing to divulge a few more details on the dev environment you've got setup at your agency? I've never heard of anyone developing and exporting iPhone apps natively from a Windows machine. Even Unity, one of the more popular game engines for the iPhone, only supports the iPhone through its Mac version, not its Windows version.

I'm assuming you aren't using the official Mac iPhone SDK, since that is distributed exclusively as a Mac executable, and couldn't be installed on Windows without running a Mac environment emulator.

For anyone who is interested, I am currently using the Cocos2D engine for my iPhone development. It does a good job of simplifying the development process and organizing your projects in a logical fashion. One of its best features is its scene support. Organizing projects into different scenes is an easier way to wrap your brain around larger projects. I had already scripted an intro/credits sequence, and last night I implemented a touch sensor that lets you skip the credit sequence. I've also extended the scene class in Cocos2D with new properties. (so that I can pass variables into them before switching scenes)

[quote name='Richard Kain']Reeeaaaalllly? I don't suppose you might be willing to divulge a few more details on the dev environment you've got setup at your agency? I've never heard of anyone developing and exporting iPhone apps natively from a Windows machine. Even Unity, one of the more popular game engines for the iPhone, only supports the iPhone through its Mac version, not its Windows version.

I'm assuming you aren't using the official Mac iPhone SDK, since that is distributed exclusively as a Mac executable, and couldn't be installed on Windows without running a Mac environment emulator.

For anyone who is interested, I am currently using the Cocos2D engine for my iPhone development. It does a good job of simplifying the development process and organizing your projects in a logical fashion. One of its best features is its scene support. Organizing projects into different scenes is an easier way to wrap your brain around larger projects. I had already scripted an intro/credits sequence, and last night I implemented a touch sensor that lets you skip the credit sequence. I've also extended the scene class in Cocos2D with new properties. (so that I can pass variables into them before switching scenes)[/QUOTE]

I can't offer much in the way of details, except it's an official SDK. The apps are ported to the iPhone through a Mac, but the code is done in a Windows environment. Code is code...you know?

I guess what I'm saying here is that coding can be done on anything, but you're right in the fact that the app needs to be ported to the phone via the SDK on a Mac. I just feel that saying that a Mac is required is a bit misleading. Anyone wanting to start dev can do it, and maybe partner up with someone who has the SDK and a Mac to test. Not the easy way, but certainly less of a barrier to entry than $3k worth of software and equipment to simply get started. I should have been more clear in my post, so sorry about that.

I wish Peggle would be as gentle with my battery as Doom Resurrection...

I hope id's future iPhone games poke as much fun at themselves as this game. The amount of jokes about monsters coming out of nowhere is making me lawl.

[quote name='Ronin317']The apps are ported to the iPhone through a Mac, but the code is done in a Windows environment. Code is code...you know?[/QUOTE]

Ah, Ok. Now that makes perfect sense. Of course, you're absolutely right. Code is code. And that means it is just a basic text file with specific syntax. You can use any basic text editor, on any platform, to write code. Hell, for a lot of the work I've done for web coding or flash, i've just used Notepad++. (a free basic text editor with some nice features, like tab navigation and code completion)

[quote name='Ronin317']Anyone wanting to start dev can do it, and maybe partner up with someone who has the SDK and a Mac to test. Not the easy way, but certainly less of a barrier to entry than $3k worth of software and equipment to simply get started. I should have been more clear in my post, so sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

Again, no argument here. It's worth noting that the Unity engine I mentioned is developed using Mono. Mono is a cross-platform .NET runtime. It mainly uses C# for its coding, which is a language originally intended only for Windows. And yet they cooked up an engine with it that was intended for the Mac, and ported to the iPhone.

In fact, the Cocos2D library that I have been developing with is originally cross-platform as well. If anyone is interested, you can download the original version for the PC, and develop cross-platform games right from the get-go. It is based on Python, which is extremely cross-platform friendly, and will run on Windows, Mac and Linux. The version I'm using was adapted for Objective-C, but is based on the same principles and structure as the original Cocos2D. You could easily begin development for a title on any platform, and then port it over to an iPhone later. This would require a decent knowledge of Objective-C, though.

Just a point of reference for anyone who wants to make an iPhone app on a tight budget...

1. I don't own my own Intel Mac. I am borrowing my Dad's old laptop.

2. You don't need an expensive Mac to use the iPhone SDK. The iPhone's performance is miniscule compared to a full computer. You could buy a $700 Intel Mac Mini and develop an iPhone app on it, no problem. The real important factor is that it has an Intel chip, and one of the more recent versions of OSX.

3. The iPhone SDK is free. It is basically just a few extensions for XCode, which is also free to anyone who has a copy of OSX. If you purchase an Intel Mac, all you do is give Apple your e-mail address, and you can have access to all the programming tools you need for free.

4. Any and all art tools you might need can be had for free. If you need 2D graphics, you can download The GIMP. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) It's essentially the open-source equivalent of Photoshop, and it runs on any platform. If you need 3D graphics, your best bet is going to be Blender 3D. It is also open-source, and available for every platform. If you want to start with a 2D engine, I'd highly recommend Cocos2D, (iPhone version). If 3D is more to your liking, you can try out the SIO2 engine. Both of these have versions that are free to use. (even for commercial projects)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... link to signup under apple for the coding tools?

I need to investigate more as well, and might want to play around with some ideas.

EDIT: NVM signed up and am downloading the huge ass SDK as well as some tutorial videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']EDIT: NVM signed up and am downloading the huge ass SDK as well as some tutorial videos.[/QUOTE]

Heh heh, yeah, the thing is like a Gig and a half. It comes with all of Apple's development tools and libraries, not just the ones for iPhone. Good luck.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Heh heh, yeah, the thing is like a Gig and a half. It comes with all of Apple's development tools and libraries, not just the ones for iPhone. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I watched some of the tutorial videos and I have to say I'm impressed with how Apple has streamlined this stuff. The real test now is to see if i an make something easily.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Interesting... looks like we might have a GTA on the iPhone... or at least a rip-off

http://www.coming-on-iphone.com/[/QUOTE]

we'll have to see what actual gameplay looks like....

i beat all 90 levels on Perfect Balance Harmony...great game!

Now I am working on Perfect Balance Inferno

So...my screen protector caught on the edge of the pouch i use for my 3GS, and the corner lifted. So I said fuck it, and took it off. I don't think I'm putting another one on it. Since I keep the thing in a Moshi case anyways, I'm leaving it off. the Screen coating on the phone is so damn good at resisting fingerprints...I've had a Moshi case for like 3 years that I've used with my old iRiver, an iPod 5.5g, and my Nokia e66, and ordered a backup late last year that actually fits the iPhone, so I figured I'd give it a shot instead of a hardcase or whatever. I love it. soooo much...

Until there is a Screen protector that has a fingerprint resistant coating, I'm just going to be very careful with it.

[quote name='Ronin317']So...my screen protector caught on the edge of the pouch i use for my 3GS, and the corner lifted. So I said fuck it, and took it off. I don't think I'm putting another one on it. Since I keep the thing in a Moshi case anyways, I'm leaving it off. the Screen coating on the phone is so damn good at resisting fingerprints...I've had a Moshi case for like 3 years that I've used with my old iRiver, an iPod 5.5g, and my Nokia e66, and ordered a backup late last year that actually fits the iPhone, so I figured I'd give it a shot instead of a hardcase or whatever. I love it. soooo much...

Until there is a Screen protector that has a fingerprint resistant coating, I'm just going to be very careful with it.[/QUOTE]

the problem with the oleophobic screen is that it seems to scratch WAY more easily than the 1st and 2nd gen iphone screens. I have a full Zagg on my phone and it is awesome. You cant beat the lifetime warranty. It doesnt stick all in your pocket like rubberized cases and it ads nothing to the form factor unlike just about every other hard case. Plus it is way less annoying than using a pouch/bag or case that covers the screen.

Honestly I dont use a screen protector since I hate how having them on my screen how it feels. I've got a cheapo $1 case from monoprice that works great and I'm happy.

I like the pouch...always have. It cleans the thing too...
ReRo, I picked up one of the monoprice cases a week ago too...haven't used it yet. My girlfriend likes hers though...seems decent.

Yeah, my monoprice case isn't bad. I ordered a rubber and plastic and so far I'm using a plastic. For $1 you can't beat it considering most cases at retail sell for over $15.

just incase some have missed the deals thread, F.A.S.T. is 1.99 this weekend only.

Seeing as CAG is sorely lacking a iPod Touch or iPhone game app discussion
signature_Sign.jpg
:)

Got an iPhone today and somewhere between migrating my data and updating to the OS 3.0 version of Flight Control, I lost all my high scores and stats. NOT WORTH IT.

damn it... dust got under my screen and I can't remove it >_<

only been 2 weeks and this happens lol

I scheduled a meet up with an apple genius at a store to see if I can get it exchanged.

The more I play Tatomic the more I love it. Fantastic little game, great controls...I'd have friggin paid for it if it wasn't free...great game!

Didn't realize Zombies & Me was already out, so I picked it up. For those of you who don't know, Zombies & Me is EA's first title from their spin-off studio, 8lb Gorilla.

Overall, it's a "cute" game. It's really polished, and the graphics are really clean. It doesn't have a lot of depth, but then again it's only 99c. I would've like to have seen slightly more content to it, maybe certain power-ups/abilities appear on screen (run faster, stun immunity, etc.) but other than that, it's a pretty solid title akin to something like Flight Control. I don't know if EA/8lb Gorilla plans on updating these 99c titles, but there's a vast amount of potential with this if they decide to do so.

Their plan is to put out something like this every month. Will be interesting to see what this studio will produce...

man so I got an iphone the other day and browsing the games.

got damn these games look downright awful! I highly doubt I'll be buying anything...

but do u guys kno any good apps??

I got the los angeles public radio app, listened today for 3.5 hours and my battery died lol. I was phoneless until I got home at the end of the day.

I also got Yelp app to find burritos on the go!!

I can reccomend some good games...

Knights OnRush is great, especially for .99

Enviro Bear .99 if you want some impressive randomness

Lilt Line is a fave, but not for everyone

Eliss is a must

Pocket God is very good seeing as it gets updated weekly

in terms of apps other than games, I don't use much other than Last.fm and Sushipedia (free and impressive)

Six Pack App is great if you need new workout routines

there's alot of other random stuff, but there's too much to reccomend, so just post what type of stuff ur looking for.

on that note Open Feint went free today to combat Crystal going free for devs. Personally I see feint winning due to the install base alone.

http://www.openfeint.com/

On that note, anyone down for doing some iPhone development? I've done some game dev before, and was wondering if anyone would like to get a go at this.

Looks crazy. That's for iPhone?

It makes me want to dust off Space Invaders Extreme. I really didn't play that as much as it deserved.

Jekki joining the ranks! If you need an extra ipod cable to take with you for charging purposes...monoprice has them uber cheap.

My fave iphone games thus far are...
Flight Control - simply addictive...
Annie's Wild Shot (old school gallery shooting light gun style from Tecmo)
Tatomic - Tetris/Lumines ish hybrid with atoms and multiple game modes

I downloaded the last fm app and that shyt froze my ipod!!

now it doesnt show the correct logo, it shows a dimmed out Yelp app logo...

is this a common problem? any1 kno how to fix it? I deleted and redownloaded the app via the in-device app store and it still displays a dim Yelp logo for last.fm

They should put DJMAX Technika on the iPhone, although the small screen might be a little cramped. Anyone know if there are similar games out there right now? If it has insane Korean electronic/dance music, that's a plus.

Can anyone recommend a good:
Blackjack game (I have Pro 21 Lite but the cards don't seem to be dealt very realistically)
Let Em Ride game
I know the company that made the 21 Pro Blackjack game has a Let Em Ride but it is $4.99.

bread's done
Back