George Carlin has died

[quote name='Moxio']I wish I had been able to see Hedberg live.[/quote]

Me too :cry: The only two comedians I can say without a doubt that I have loved, and I haven't seen either live. I can't even think of any comedian that remotely comes close to Carlin's brilliance/genius today. All of today's comedians suck: from Dane Cook to Lisa Lampinelli to Carlos Mencia and the list goes on from there. I can name of some top comedians, but not of Carlin's stature. I'd probably put Hedberg next to him, though, for the simple fact that he had so much potential and died too soon. Lenny Bruce is good, but before most of our times. Engvall is perhaps the only other one that would be up there as well. The rest suck.

Don't lose hope for current comedians: you just have to branch away from the really popular shit (the only really popular one I like is Demetri Martin). Try Jim Gaffigan.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I can name of some top comedians, but not of Carlin's stature. I'd probably put Hedberg next to him, though, for the simple fact that he had so much potential and died too soon. Lenny Bruce is good, but before most of our times. Engvall is perhaps the only other one that would be up there as well. The rest suck.[/QUOTE]

Bill Hicks

And really, you put Engvall high on your list?

fuck fuck fuck fuck shit goddamn fuck.

My gf bought tickets for my birthday, was supposed to drive up to New Hampshire next month to see him perform again. We've seen him twice before and each was great. The way he built half a show around the fact that he was 69 years old was just incredible.

May you rest in peace.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Bill Hicks

And really, you put Engvall high on your list?[/quote]

Sorry, I sadly confused the two :cry:

Uh no, Engvall is definitely nowhere near my list. I just mixed the two because of their similar sounding names.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You know, he's probably calling out from the afterlife right now that we're all a bunch of over-sentimental pussies who should go fuck ourselves.[/quote]

I would expect nothing less. :lol:

Man this one hurts. Gonna take a while.

Sooo much of his material is ingrained in my brain(and my friends as well). He retained his edge right up to the end. RIP.

Like Carlin, I can't eat any food with both a Y and a G in it(yogurt).

I liked his older stuff better, I must admit. Like those old vinyl records in the collection of any of your dads who were stoners in high school. Toledo Window Box was awesome. He got a little too crabby towards the end, with the political shit that was already saturated by those who did it on a larger scale, such as Bill Maher and Dennis Miller.

Still a massive loss for the comedy circuit. Not many of those old comics left.

[quote name='SpazX']First celebrity death on CAG that I actually said "no" [/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me. And I was just looking at some of his material too. Although he was too preachy at times, he was a great comedian.

Wow. I don't even go to news sites anymore because of CAG :lol:

This is really upsetting!
:cry:
He was 71? Damn. He looked pretty good, IMO.

RIP :(

Ad me to the list of those who said "No!" when they saw the thread title.

Comedy, and America, has lost one of its greatest Comedians and Critics.

There's really no one else in the else in the world that you could have counted on to to tell you the truth as well as he did. As much as he'd probably hate the notion, God Bless that man.

Rest in Peace, Carlin, you will be sorely missed.

~HotShotX

I actually never seen his comedy routines because I was naught but a child to watch it on tape, and I didn't exist in the 70s to 80s. I vaguely remember him from Thomas the Tank Engine, and various news reports about him as time went by. I've seen a few clips, they were of course funny as hell.

I'm saddened by these news, after the death of Tim Russert, I learned about a Japanese actress who also died of heart failure, and now George Carlin? I find myself wondering if this month could get any worse...

I was making some oats and I heard some guy on the news make a Carlin reference, then he said "Rest in Peace" and I was just like "Son of a fuck!"

I always thought he was a funny guy.

carlin.jpg

RIP

I got to see him only once or twice. Most memorably right after high school graduation (10 years ago) with a buddy of mine. Carlin was the most quotable, memorable comedian that influenced us and our thinking. The older he got, the meaner he got and we loved it.

I'm so freaking down about this right now.

This is depressing news. We've been losing good comedians at a terrible rate these last few years. Pretty soon we'll be left with Dane Cook, he's probably the one doing it.

Damn. Wasn't expecting this at all. I saw his HBO stand up, It's bad For ya. A coupld months ago and thought he looked great. Very sad RIP where ever you are you crazy sonbitch.

Shit, that was not what I wanted to read when i woke up. He was the best of the best, and in my opinion, even outdid Richard Pryor. It was his one-two punch of material that seemed to be shocking and obscene, yet you knew it was true. He's also the only artist whose material I've purchased all of, because it never got worse or let you down.

Damn it.

For those who have Sirius Satellite Radio: Raw Dog Comedy 104 will be doing a day-long live Carlin tribute and playing a bunch of his stuff all day today.

This is really sad indeed. I also didn't believe it (sorry OP) when I read it. I had to check a couple of news sites as well before letting the news hit me for real :( What a bummer, I really liked Carlin. If you ever can, you should listen to the interview Opie and Anthony did with him a while back, it's a really genuinely good interview. Lots of stuff I never knew about him there.

You will be missed George =(

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to die dammit. I'll admit that he seemed to be getting a little bitter lately, but considering the world we live in right now, thats not surprising. Carlin was like a shot of cold water in the face, he was shocking, but he had a way of waking you up to reality.

I can't think of any comedian who ever pushed boundaries like he did, he'll seriously be missed.

[quote name='JolietJake']I can't think of any comedian who ever pushed boundaries like he did, he'll seriously be missed.[/quote]

Chris Rock has a tendancy to "keep it real".

Let me just say this...

I wrote a 38 page research and analysis report in college for my Communications Law course based on the FCC v Pacifica case (aka the "Carlin Case"... look it up if you're incredibly bored).

He was a genious... but writing that paper really sucked.

RIP.

This is a sad day. They say it happens in 3 and well it sure has. Russort(sp?) Stan Winston and now the great Carlin. They will be missed. Carlin was one of the few comics I really liked and thought was funny. Most have one or two things they say are funny and the rust is just stupid. Carlin however I could watch on HBO and laugh from start to end even if I saw it for the 1234134234 time.

Carlin was a true genius, made people think, stood up for the old Question Authority hippie ideals....Carlin on Campus literally rocked my world when I was a teenager. Loved Carlin, and the fact that he stood up for something. I think its why I like Lewis Black...abrasive comedy wrapped around social commentary.

I caught his last special on HBO in March or April and was left thinking that he probably needed to hang up his hat...it wasn't a very good show, and his material was more bitter and angry than really funny. He didn't move really well on stage and his timing was off......but it was still good to see one of the old schoolers get up on stage and do the dance.

The age of the Comedians as Gods is now truly over.....

I'm just now realizing how terrible most comedy is going to be from now on. Everybody, get ready for the new generation of comedy: Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy, Sarah Silverman, and Carlos Mencia...

fuck!!!

[quote name='shieryda']R.I.P., Mr. Carlin.

You guys need to read Napalm and Silly Putty, if you haven't already. Classic stuff.[/QUOTE]

Its been in my Turdorium for a month or so now. Very funny book.

RIP George.

Got the chance to see him live a couple years ago. Very funny man.

[quote name='shieryda']Chris Rock has a tendancy to "keep it real".[/quote]

Overrated. I can say I enjoy Carrot Top more than Rock. Rock was good when he was new and fresh, and maybe this is because of his association with Oprah and his selection of film role, but he has sucked for awhile.

I appreciated Carlin more than ever, with all of these shitty comics (Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia, Larry the Cable Guy, etc.) stealing the modern spotlight.

fuck man, my uncle introduced me to him. he was the first comedian I heard and I instantly fell in love with him. Whoever said his airline bit was the funniest ever is right. That was the best show he ever did and it was the first one I saw of his.

Now I completely regret not seeing him last time he was here near me. I kept saying I wanted to see him before he died. fuck, tickets were too expensive and I had class (and I think a shitload of hw due) the day after. Wow, biggest regret of my life.

RIP George Carlin. Best comedian of all time.

bread's done
Back