George Lucas offically retires from....everything. Red Tails to last work.

Damn, was hoping he'd hang in there long enough to put out another Star Wars box set with all the shit he fucked up put back to normal.

[quote name='Demolition Man']By "last work" he's talking about new films. Therefore he's probably far from being done with mutilating Star Wars.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, no. He says directly that he is retiring from Star Wars and other Big Blockbuster movies. He will only make art house movies.

Red Tails is his last big blockbuster.

Has he done anything noteworthy in the past 20 years? Other than shit out those Star Wars prequels?

[quote name='panzerfaust']he was directing red tails? oh boy.[/QUOTE]
I think he's just producing.

So what's gonna happen to that live action tv series they were planning that was gonna help bridge what happened between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope?

Its good he retired...

...every 3 years new CGI junk added to the movies

Next was they were going to digitally include Wickets baby momma in every scene in Return of the Jedi

On a positive I believe Darth Vader saying: "No....No....No...." was pretty cool

I hope we get a biography or something on how you go from directing the original Star Wars to directing the new Star Wars. I think it'd be really interesting -- maybe he was overwhelmed by technology and was over ambitious? I don't know.

3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

That NYT article is worth a read, and, if Red Tails truly is a good movie, I hope people see it in the theater and support it.

But the article says this:

He was careful to leave himself an out clause for a fifth “Indiana Jones” film. But otherwise, “Red Tails” will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. “

So there's still a 5th Indiana Jones, which I think Harrison said he is game for, and which they'd have to do soon given Harrison's age.

I also wonder if this means that Lucas finished all the tinkering he probably did on the 3D re-releases of the Star Wars movies? I'd be utterly shocked if they were left untouched from the latest Blu-ray tweaks.

I also imagine if the live action Star Wars series gets off the ground, Lucas probably care much as long as it follow whatever direction/story he's already set forth.

But isn't he still active with the Clone Wars cartoon? I thought he had some kind of active involvement on that. Maybe not anymore?

Wow that's a shame he couldn't even get studios to screen his movie. WTF? Hollywood is just getting more and more ridiculous.

[quote name='panzerfaust']he was directing red tails? oh boy.[/QUOTE]

He just produced it. But I'm sure he was very involved with everything, even though he hired a director.

That's a good --and LONG! -- article. I love behind the scenes Star Wars stuff... but I'll believe it when I see it. If so, he won't be "retired" for long.

He just loves the creative control of the Star Wars universe. And bristles whenever anyone mentions Kershner was the genius behind Star Wars, moreso than he. I believe he's trying (STILL!) to prove his critics wrong to this day.

redtails? Movie looks so lame...

But honestly I see where the mans coming from. All these ignorant schlups claim Lucas is ruining this or that, when its his intellectual property. I finished watching the star wars blus last weekend and it was awesome. It looked fantastic and although I spotted alot of the changes, they didn't bother me in the slightest. I would feel the same way and say fuck you lucas haters

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']redtails? Movie looks so lame...

But honestly I see where the mans coming from. All these ignorant schlups claim Lucas is ruining this or that, when its his intellectual property. I finished watching the star wars blus last weekend and it was awesome. It looked fantastic and although I spotted alot of the changes, they didn't bother me in the slightest. I would feel the same way and say fuck you lucas haters[/QUOTE]

If he's quitting then we got what we wanted. On behalf of Lucas haters everywhere I say fuck you back double.

I still can't believe I defended this guy at one point for the prequels/alterations, etc. Don't really mind the prequels, as they are unique, individual creations - that are clearly set apart from the original saga, but I still can understand (and have started to support) others who hate them. Let's hope that now he's "retired," he'll have enough time to go back and "restore" the original saga (and even the prequel with the puppet yoda) to their original standing. Why couldn't he have fucked with Howard the Duck? Although it's a cult classic, now, in its own right, and that has been screen to fans at midnight screenings, he could have toyed away at that one and no one would have really cared probably. He probably would have improved it anyhow. Sad to see a talent like fester away after making a disappointing film in Howard the Duck, to only come back and rehash/ruin his original work(s) rather than create original content. Guess he was/is just too burnt out.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']redtails? Movie looks so lame...

But honestly I see where the mans coming from. All these ignorant schlups claim Lucas is ruining this or that, when its his intellectual property. I finished watching the star wars blus last weekend and it was awesome. It looked fantastic and although I spotted alot of the changes, they didn't bother me in the slightest. I would feel the same way and say fuck you lucas haters[/QUOTE]
Lets go back and fuck with Citizen Kane while we're at it. It's someone's property after all.

I remember reading during the divorce of his ex-wife (who was producer or editor to the original trilogy, I believe), he would never re-release the original edits, because she would receive a lot of money. Instead, he created the "Special Edition" and she received nothing, thus "re-energized" him to create the prequels and change our favorite original movie. He later retconned it by saying these were the original ideas he always had and technology finally caught up to them.

So, while it may someday be included in a super-deluxe-everyone buy it now Blu-Ray, The original trilogy will never be restored, cuz he isn't interested in paying the ex. I coulda swore I read this a few times in years past.

[quote name='Clak']Lets go back and fuck with Citizen Kane while we're at it. It's someone's property after all.[/QUOTE]

If Orson Welles had wanted to make changes to it, and not put the theatrical cut out, then that would have been his right. If someone went back and messed with Citizen Kane, then that would be a huge issue since it's still under copyright. Once it goes public domain someone can go back and fuck with it. Just like the loser who did that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book. Once stuff hits the public domain, it's permissible for people to mess with it, until then only the copyright holder can decide what happens to it.

Copyright law gives the creator sole control over their work and how its published--unless they sign a contract that gives that control to another entity like a studio or publisher.

So directors don't owe fans anything. They have no obligation to release an original version if they think their director's cut is superior.

I mean I'd like to have the original cuts as Star Wars myself, but I'm not going to bash Lucas for not putting them out on Bluray. They're his films and he can do whatever he wants with them. He doesn't owe fans or society anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Lucas sucks.
[quote name='dmaul1114']If Orson Welles had wanted to make changes to it, and not put the theatrical cut out, then that would have been his right. If someone went back and messed with Citizen Kane, then that would be a huge issue since it's still under copyright. Once it goes public domain someone can go back and fuck with it. Just like the loser who did that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book. Once stuff hits the public domain, it's permissible for people to mess with it, until then only the copyright holder can decide what happens to it.

Copyright law gives the creator sole control over their work and how its published--unless they sign a contract that gives that control to another entity like a studio or publisher.

So directors don't owe fans anything. They have no obligation to release an original version if they think their director's cut is superior.

I mean I'd like to have the original cuts as Star Wars myself, but I'm not going to bash Lucas for not putting them out on Bluray. Their his films and he can do whatever he wants with them. He doesn't owe fans or society anything.[/QUOTE]
... that's really not how that works at all, bro. :lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']If Orson Welles had wanted to make changes to it, and not put the theatrical cut out, then that would have been his right. If someone went back and messed with Citizen Kane, then that would be a huge issue since it's still under copyright. Once it goes public domain someone can go back and fuck with it. Just like the loser who did that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book. Once stuff hits the public domain, it's permissible for people to mess with it, until then only the copyright holder can decide what happens to it.

I mean I'd like to have the original cuts as Star Wars myself, but I'm not going to bash Lucas for not putting them out on Bluray. Their his films and he can do whatever he wants with them. He doesn't owe fans or society anything.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, I dont really get the hate for the guy. Its his fucking film and can what he wants with it. If you didnt like his new changes than just dont view/buy it. I dont get it.

Started out with a bang and ended up with a Nooooooooooooo

G Lucas was a talent - you can see this because he was able to pull out great performances in American Graffiti.

His reinvention of the 1920s serials is an action that rivals the other great reintroductions of a genre (like Polanski's reinvention of film noir, Chinatown). It's no mean feat that's made all the more impressive by it's massive popularity.

However in his late career it was pretty obvious that he didn't give a fuck about acting or writing and was just doing it for the special effects.

And that's why he'll never be one of the greats, he'll be remembered as a cheeseball director that had one really great idea.

It's sad because his career started out so well.

[quote name='cancermatt']I remember reading during the divorce of his ex-wife (who was producer or editor to the original trilogy, I believe), he would never re-release the original edits, because she would receive a lot of money. Instead, he created the "Special Edition" and she received nothing, thus "re-energized" him to create the prequels and change our favorite original movie. He later retconned it by saying these were the original ideas he always had and technology finally caught up to them.

So, while it may someday be included in a super-deluxe-everyone buy it now Blu-Ray, The original trilogy will never be restored, cuz he isn't interested in paying the ex. I coulda swore I read this a few times in years past.[/QUOTE]

What a spiteful ass. Is this why he fucked with THX-1138?

I remember seeing the preview and thought it looked badass, see: Lucas having a dick, then I heard it was butchered from the original cut.

[quote name='cancermatt']I remember reading during the divorce of his ex-wife (who was producer or editor to the original trilogy, I believe), he would never re-release the original edits, because she would receive a lot of money. Instead, he created the "Special Edition" and she received nothing, thus "re-energized" him to create the prequels and change our favorite original movie. He later retconned it by saying these were the original ideas he always had and technology finally caught up to them.

So, while it may someday be included in a super-deluxe-everyone buy it now Blu-Ray, The original trilogy will never be restored, cuz he isn't interested in paying the ex. I coulda swore I read this a few times in years past.[/QUOTE]

The original trilogy was released on DVD a few years back. Each was on the second-disc of a two-disc limited edition.

[quote name='Cantatus']The original trilogy was released on DVD a few years back. Each was on the second-disc of a two-disc limited edition.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the quality was garbage. Compared to the updated versions they look like they were taken from uncleaned original reels. In a way that's the way I remember seeing it, before there was any hi-def equipment available at home.

Personally I don't mind that he tinkers with them as long as I can still watch the version I want to see. Some of the updates are an obvious improvement like some of the scenes at Bespin and the added space battle scenes. Others are cringe worthy such as adding Jabba in Mos Isley.

I saw the Special Editions in theater when they were released and there was loud applause at the end of each one, it seemed everyone was ok with them at the time (I did hear some disappointment with the change of the music scene at the end of Jedi though).

[quote name='camoor']
However in his late career it was pretty obvious that he didn't give a fuck about acting or writing and was just doing it for the special effects.
[/QUOTE]

This is very true. I remember watching a behind the scenes thing and it was either Neeson of Portman that did the first take and said "That was kinda bad, can I try it again?" and Lucas literally said "No, that's okay, we'll fix it in post." Like the guy thought poor acting could be fixed with special effects.

Both Clint Eastwood and Lucas are "one take" type of directors. It works for Eastwood because he's kinda scary and you don't want to let him down, while with Lucas he just wants the bare minimum for performances that are just some sort of "foredrop" for special effects. The prequel trilogy had some great actors giving the worst performances of their careers. Liam Neeson was better in fucking Krull.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Yes, but the quality was garbage. Compared to the updated versions they look like they were taken from uncleaned original reels. In a way that's the way I remember seeing it, before there was any hi-def equipment available at home.[/quote]

Well, I think it was done pretty begrudgingly on Lucas' part just to shut up people who kept asking for the non-edited versions, but my point was it sort of goes against the story you heard.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']This is very true. I remember watching a behind the scenes thing and it was either Neeson of Portman that did the first take and said "That was kinda bad, can I try it again?" and Lucas literally said "No, that's okay, we'll fix it in post." Like the guy thought poor acting could be fixed with special effects.[/QUOTE]

Lucas has done some astounding work when it comes to special effects. ILM has been really revolutionary in so many ways. When it came to the prequels though, I think Lucas relied on them way too much. Sure, the special effects in the movie were great, but it was pretty obvious how much of the movie was done in front of a green screen. I watched an interview with Ewan McGregor recently talking about how one scene where he was driving around basically just consisted of him sitting on a box. Lucas just lets the special effects take over everything else, forgetting that they are supposed to be the background and set dressing.

bread's done
Back