Getting the last bid on Ebay auctions

ragtop70

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I have never condoned sniping, but I no longer have a choice. I lost out on at least four auctions from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon. I lost 2 of those by $.50 each. I lost them all in the last 4 seconds. It's time to even the playing field. Where do I get a good, free/cheap sniping program that works with ebay? Thanks for any help.

I've used auctionstealer as well. You only get a couple free ones per week, but it works very well.

I think a lot of bidders who get frustrated by snipers just opt to shop BINs. Works great for my listings :twisted:

[quote name='ragtop70']I have never condoned sniping, but I no longer have a choice. I lost out on at least four auctions from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon. I lost 2 of those by $.50 each. I lost them all in the last 4 seconds. It's time to even the playing field. Where do I get a good, free/cheap sniping program that works with ebay? Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I am told that eBay has its own proxy bid service. I've never used it, but I'm sure it's craptacular.

Regarding the snipes, you really never know how much more the winner bid. He might have bid 50 cents more than you, but he may have bid 10 dollars more than you. Depending on the item, you may not have wanted to do what it would take to be the winner.

[quote name='wubb']I've used auctionstealer as well. You only get a couple free ones per week, but it works very well.

I think a lot of bidders who get frustrated by snipers just opt to shop BINs. Works great for my listings :twisted:[/QUOTE]

i was going to sign up for auctionstealer...but it asks for your ebay username and password...

[quote name='swetooth9']i was going to sign up for auctionstealer...but it asks for your ebay username and password...[/QUOTE]
dont worry about it too much.

That happens quite often, but I've set limits for myself to prevent something from getting out of hand. If I really really want something, I'll place a higher original bid. If someone really wants to outbid me, then go for it. Most of the stuff I buy usually will be cheaper in the long run and I can wait.

I've never tried one of the bid-snatching programs, but maybe in a little bit I'll try it out. For right now, I'm loaded with games to play already.

wow thats crazy I snipe the old fashion way..*tumbweed rolls passed computer* I bid at the 15-30 second mark but I have a 6mb down 512kb up connection.

[quote name='ragtop70']I have never condoned sniping, but I no longer have a choice. I lost out on at least four auctions from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon. I lost 2 of those by $.50 each. I lost them all in the last 4 seconds.[/QUOTE]

If you were willing to pay more, why didn't you simply bid more in the first place? If you are bidding low trying to get a deal, bidding later won't help you win. Auctions are won by the highest bid, not the last bid. Snipers bid to win. Sniping isn't about getting the "last bid", it's about bidding as late as possible to avoid idiotic bidding wars that unnecessarily inflate the price.

It is amazing that people still blame "snipers" for lost auctions.

That being said, I have used AuctionSniper for years. They charge a very small fee for every sucessful snipe. It is more than worth it. Being an online service, can be accessed from anywhere in the world (I used it while vacationing in Hawaii) and doesn't require any software to be installed. Yes, you obviously have to give them your ebay account information, but it a safe, reputable company.

Over the past four years I pretty much developed my own methods of sniping at the last second to get items that I really want. It's a gigantic pain, there's no doubt, and it depends greatly upon whether or not my connection is up to snuff, but I think I've only lost two out of fifty or sixty auctions I've sniped.

It also helps that my last second bids are usually far more than most other people looking at the item are willing to spend. I think that alone makes a world of difference. Most people who were also sniping the same item I was pretty much entered minimum bids at the last second, maybe at most half a buck or a dollar. Problem is that I usually toss in what I'm willing to go up to, plus an extra amount depending upon whether the shipping is reasonable, if it's really rare, stuff like that. So when someone else is sniping for two quarters and I'm sniping for an additional $20 or so...

After early experiments with eBay I learned that I shouldn't bid until at least the last few hours if I can't be near a computer and, if I do, there are a few subtle tactics you can use to keep off most generic snipers out there. For example, if you want to do well try picking a really strange dollar amount as a maximum bid above what you're willing to spend. I find most snipers like nice, round numbers but if you go a bit above that...

For example...

Willing to spend: $25
What I bid: $26.63

It's just a tad bit of extra security. For most of the items I buy people will see my bid (well, not really, since at that point it isn't anywhere near $25) and when people start nickel and diming it in the last three minutes...well, it almost never reaches the price that I bid.

To be fair, I tend to bid on anime DVDs, games, wallscrolls, posters, and other similar items that tend to get a moderate amount of traffic but nothing staggering. If this was meant for an item that everyone wants (ie: a PSP)...well, that would involve a whole other kettle of fish that I haven't touched in a long time.

Sorry to sound dumb, but what do these programs/services do? On items I'm really interested in, I will just reload the page every second within the last minute or 2 (or every 3 seconds, whatever) to see if I'm still the winning bidder. I have had last 40 second bid wars leading up to the last 5 seconds, but yeah, what do these programs do differently? Unless they tell me the bastard who won did so by 10 cents, I don't see much of a point...

Though having an auction end at like 4 am, or while I'm at class, can suck...

I always wait until the last minute of an auction to bid(and I don't use any program). People will often change their minds in regards to how much they are willing to spend if you bid early. Bidding late makes others feel that their (possibly low) bid is safe. Just the other day I won a poorly listed SNES lot which included Aero Fighters. I ended up only paying about $26 shipped for the everything, but if I would have bid my max earlier I know that one particular reseller would have either outbid me or made me pay more than I did.

Cheaters.

I hate it when people steal the items right outta my hands like that. If you're gonna be bidding then at least be legit.

actually looking at the sites you posted that does seem pretty uncool. ok if no ones bid yet put 1$ cause you never know. then when the auctions 30,20,10 seconds in whatever put your max price range. The auto-sniper is frowned on in counter-strike for a reason don't get greedy.

[quote name='swetooth9']i was going to sign up for auctionstealer...but it asks for your ebay username and password...[/QUOTE]

I don't know how a service could place a bid for you if you don't give it your id and password. It's certainly a slight worry, I guess the only other option would be to get a program that runs from your machine. I don't know of a good one, but I'm sure they are out there. Of course then your computer has to be up and connected to the net when the auction you want is ending.

And that program could always have a little turd in it that sends everyone's login info to a central spot for harvesting...

[quote name='wubb']I don't know how a service could place a bid for you if you don't give it your id and password. It's certainly a slight worry, I guess the only other option would be to get a program that runs from your machine. I don't know of a good one, but I'm sure they are out there. Of course then your computer has to be up and connected to the net when the auction you want is ending.

And that program could always have a little turd in it that sends everyone's login info to a central spot for harvesting...[/QUOTE]

yea, my internet is always connected so that wouldnt be a problem...i was thinking over it, but i dont really use ebay all that much anymore...i'm just glad that some of these have "free trials"

bread's done
Back