GGT 212 Releases a "Gay Sub-Thread" & Then Bets it All on Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how you can take an established series, ruin its main character and another major character by completely changing everything about them, release the game in a barely finished state that's obviously not been play tested for more than a day, and still get good review scores.

[quote name='distgfx']Welcome to modern gaming.[/QUOTE]

DmC getting 8's and 9's and RE6 getting 4's?

It's a messed up world man.

Messed. Up.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I like how you can take an established series, ruin its main character and another major character by completely changing everything about them, release the game in a barely finished state that's obviously not been play tested for more than a day, and still get good review scores.[/QUOTE]
dragonage2joke.txt

So let's see... Vergil uses a gun to shoot a woman's fetus from behind then shoots her in the head.

Yup; did not know that happened in the game.

[quote name='distgfx']So let's see... Vergil uses a gun to shoot a woman's fetus from behind then shoots her in the head.

Yup; did not know that happened in the game.[/QUOTE]

Sweet scene.

It's hardcore. Vergil is a badass.

[quote name='The Crotch']dragonage2joke.txt[/QUOTE]
Since Dragon Age 1 had a Marilyn Manson song for its trailer, they should've just had him make the whole soundtrack for Dragon Age 2. Would've been 20x sweeter and more appropriate.

[quote name='distgfx']So let's see... Vergil uses a gun to shoot a woman's fetus from behind then shoots her in the head.

Yup; did not know that happened in the game.[/QUOTE]
That Vergil, always a class act. He's so cool.

[quote name='whoknows']Sweet scene.

It's hardcore. Vergil is a badass.[/QUOTE]
He totally is.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
That Vergil, always a class act. He's so cool.[/QUOTE]

OK0xBTW.jpg

i don't think anything will top the unanimous praise diablo 3 got at release. the only thing critics mentioned was the online only scandal, otherwise it was perfect. yet the game has been completely rebuilt since that summer. that's how bad it was.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i don't think anything will top the unanimous praise diablo 3 got at release. the only thing critics mentioned was the online only scandal, otherwise it was perfect. yet the game has been completely rebuilt since that summer. that's how bad it was.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='The Escapist']Bottom Line: A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.
Recommendation: Buy it, steal it, beat up your little brother so you can play it.[/quote]
[quote name='PC Gamer']The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better.[/quote]
im not bitter

[quote name='panzerfaust']the sad thing is i dont think those critics are bought.[/QUOTE]

They aren't. Mass Effect series also gets preferential treatment.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i don't think anything will top the unanimous praise diablo 3 got at release. the only thing critics mentioned was the online only scandal, otherwise it was perfect. yet the game has been completely rebuilt since that summer. that's how bad it was.[/QUOTE]

Is there anywhere that summarizes the changes since launch? I played religiously for about a month but then got bored in Inferno.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Oh yeah, I forgot I bought Diablo 3 for $10. I should play that.[/QUOTE]

I actually really enjoyed D3 up until I reach the final difficulty. The end game was really lacking at the time. I don't know if they improved it or not since then though.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The denial over the ME3 ending was truly delicious[/QUOTE]

I avoided that whole fiasco by not playing it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The denial over the ME3 ending was truly delicious[/QUOTE]

I thought the ending was alright.

The rest of the game was the problem.

I actually really enjoyed D3 up until I reach the final difficulty. The end game was really lacking at the time. I don't know if they improved it or not since then though.

It was the opposite for most people. Everything has been changed to account for how terrible Normal, Nightmare, and Hell were -- though Inferno was also broken. As for a list of changes, that's a lot of reading to do. From class reworks, completely changed loot algorithms, difficulty level, and like, you can even keep leveling past 60 now because before there was absolutely no incentive to play the game further after beating it. Blizzard lost so many players during that summer.

Still, the only people who play that shit now are the Chinese or people in love with the idea of a more violent version of farmville. Which is then connected to eBay.

The huge emphasis on the loot grind really turned me off of the Diablo franchise, anyway. I liked Diablo 2 best when I was just wandering around pseudo-randomized environments killing pseudo-randomized enemies. I pretty much stopped playing the game once I realized that everyone else in the world wanted to powerlevel their characters through the bits I liked so they could do boss runs.

Pretty much everything in there is, "Yeah, it can be a little skeavy, but I personally don't have a problem with it."

It's you. You are the overreacter.

Most were moderate, though still expressed ridiculous nitpicks:

At the very least she could be wearing a few more articles of clothing.

However to continue the close ups of women being shot at, beaten and at the end, kneeling in a submissive position with a gun to her head by the ‘dominant’ male figure, it all seems a tad too sexist. It runs back to the old traditional views of women being submissive, having to serve and having to be over powered when a male/males come onto the scene.

But then this one, which is what I'm really after:
The new teaser did raise my hackles. I’m aware of a wider body of sci-fi works which make regular use of a trope I find particularly distasteful – the “robot lady goes crazy and kills a lot of men” one. Even putting aside questions of originality, that’s a problematic theme, and I don’t want to see it evoked again.

That's lunacy.

Of those quotes, only the middle one strikes me as being particularly weird. The third one is talking about something I'm completely ignorant about, so if it is lunacy, it's lunacy that I can't diagnose.

A female android slaughtering a bunch of men is inherently problematic and should be taken off the table as an option for writers? That's nuts. Limiting artistic freedom because a woman is not being portrayed correctly is nuts. And who is she to decide how every woman should be portrayed in a world of fiction?

[quote name='panzerfaust']A female android slaughtering a bunch of men is inherently problematic and should be taken off the table as an option for writers? That's nuts. Limiting artistic freedom because a woman is not being portrayed correctly is nuts. And who is she to decide how every woman should be portrayed in a world of fiction?[/QUOTE]
That's nice...
At the very least she could be wearing a few more articles of clothing.
EDIT: Okay, I'm being a bit of a shithead here, because obviously you're talking about the third quote, though I still don't get your big objection to the first. Male gaze isn't Not A Thing when it's done by the Heroes of RPGdom.

The point of the third quote wasn't "homicidal lady robot is inherently offencive and bad". She said that it was an overused and lazy trope in the genre, and therefore bad.

She knows nothing about why that woman is dressed the way she is, and yet she condemns the decision of the artist. Suggesting that a woman cannot being dressed like that, period. No thought given to the merit of the work itself. That's unfair.

By this logic, Ghost in the Shell is also a sexist work. Hell, it even has "the robot lady who kills a lot of men" problem. She calls that trope "problematic." There is something inherently wrong with using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll put in my 2 cents on this: I've never met a feminist I've gotten along with and by and large they are as bad as those PETA folk that will search for anything that they could possibly make a big deal out of. But according to them that's because my way of life revolves around subjecting women to a degrading lifestyle which betrays the fact that I'm too afraid of female sexuality.

I don't know if that's like, just how they are in the south or what, but they've all driven me damn near insane because no matter how hard I've tried I can never hang with one for more than a half hour before something I do sets them off on some sort of tirade about how I'm a terrible person that's continuing to perpetuate the life every woman's been chained to by her male oppressors.

TL;DR Joel knows no cool feminists or no cool feminists exist.

I've never met an Irishman I liked.[quote name='panzerfaust']She knows nothing about why that woman is dressed the way she is, and yet she condemns the decision of the artist. Suggesting that a woman cannot being dressed like that, period. No thought given to the merit of the work itself. That's unfair.[/QUOTE]
Jesus Christ, man. It isn't "no woman can be dressed like that, period". It's "this depiction is absurdly common in nerd fiction in general and also the fact that this is a context-less advertisement makes it come off as more cynical and pandering than it might otherwise, so try something else because arguments of artistic merit hold less value when you can see the same thing across your entire field."

[quote name='panzerfaust']By this logic, Ghost in the Shell is also a sexist work. Hell, it even has "the robot lady who kills a lot of men" problem.[/QUOTE]Um.

Was it a cliche 25 years ago?

So shouldn't the criticism be to have better taste in adverts, and not "change the character designs in your game?" She should wear more clothing because it's a 2 minute teaser? But if we had more context and the clothing made sense, then it's okay to take her pants off?

Was it a cliche 25 years ago?

Stay away from android women, CD Projeckt. You missed that time frame. It'd be just downright offensive, now.

Also, it was very cliche in the realm of science fiction 25 years ago. GitS somehow managed to work past that.

[quote name='panzerfaust']So shouldn't the criticism be to have better taste in adverts, and not "change the character designs in your game?" She should wear more clothing because it's a 2 minute teaser? But if we had more context and it made sense, then it's okay to take her pants off?[/QUOTE]
Probably not. It just comes off worse in an advertisement.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Stay away from android women, CD Projeckt. You missed the time frame. It's just downright offensive, now.[/QUOTE]
Y'know whenever a new fantasy franchise comes out and someone will complain that it's full of skinny white dudes with bows and pointy ears and fat drunken Scottish miners?

Same basic deal, but there's women involved, so we've got to be even bigger nerds than usual about it.

Can I move you off this cliche thing she never mentioned? She said she finds the trope by its very nature "distasteful." Not distasteful because it is used often.

I’m aware of a wider body of sci-fi works which make regular use of a trope I find particularly distasteful

This has nothing to do with her being tired of a certain setting. She is simply against the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back