GGT #300 Goes Spelunking

Hey guys, I preordered Tomb Raider for PS4 at Gamestop and have a quick question... I normally use Amazon, but they're sold out of the "Art Book Packaging" edition...

Is the Gamestop one the same edition? All I saw was that it comes with an artbook, but nothing about artbook packaging...

Sooooo....buy some Nintendo stock?

Also, if a tablet was ever supposed to be my primary gaming device then fuck that

My mom is giving me a bunch of money for food this weekend and I feel like buying a copy of Xenoblade with it (it'll only be $40 if I use the birthday coupon on it), should I do it?
I have to give it another go sometime and see if I can get more into it as well :/

As long as you are able to use the rest of the money for enough food you can go for it, you'd probably be able to make that money after you sell it off again if you want as well.

Hey guys, I preordered Tomb Raider for PS4 at Gamestop and have a quick question... I normally use Amazon, but they're sold out of the "Art Book Packaging" edition...

Is the Gamestop one the same edition? All I saw was that it comes with an artbook, but nothing about artbook packaging...
not that many next gen gamers here so you might be SOL on that question

Last edited by a moderator:

When I clicked on More details on Gamestop.com it says "Pre-order to receive artbook packaging", so it's probably the same one. Like the KH 1.5 LE or the FFX HD one coming out I would guess.

That game is sooooo goood though, I'm also kind of surprised you started it but didn't beat it before haha.
As I'm getting less and less free time for gaming my patience for not having a clue where to go next is getting shorter. Probably why I've put off replaying Super Metroid even though I absolutely loved it the last time I played it.

The Tomb Raider Definitive art book packaging is the same for each retailer.

Edit: I should add that I'm curious to see how the Vita remote play will work for this game and how the "enhanced" graphics will look on the small screen.

The Tomb Raider Definitive art book packaging is the same for each retailer.

Edit: I should add that I'm curious to see how the Vita remote play will work for this game and how the "enhanced" graphics will look on the small screen.
It'll probably look enhanced.

Pretty sure it was confirmed to be canonical.
Yep, confirmed a while back. And wow, Necro is pretty awful.

Just finished Crysis 3. It was probably the fastest game I've played in the last few years since it only took around 4 hours to beat. Kinda surprised it didn't do well since the combat was pretty fun. I mean, how many games let you punch Squirrels to death?

As I'm getting less and less free time for gaming my patience for not having a clue where to go next is getting shorter. Probably why I've put off replaying Super Metroid even though I absolutely loved it the last time I played it.
That's a fair point, if you don't have the time you used to have then some games just aren't going to be as worth it I suppose, I guess you could always use a guide just so you don't spend so much time lost, but I don't know if you'd want to do that or not.

BKtZ45H.gif

Pq4OYvK.gif

I'm not gonna even.

I still haven't caught up on AGDG 2014. Can you even catch up since it's over? It's like catching up to someone in a race, but they already won it.

fuck!!! Back to it.

That's a fair point, if you don't have the time you used to have then some games just aren't going to be as worth it I suppose, I guess you could always use a guide just so you don't spend so much time lost, but I don't know if you'd want to do that or not.
That might be what I do wit Super Metroid. Maybe have a ~30 minute grace period for being lost between areas or something.

One of the issues I'm having with SOTN is I feel like a lot of the powers and such are undocumented compared to games nowadays. I'm so used to games telling you what the item you just got is exactly used for it's taking some adjusting.

I'm making decent progress so far, mostly just picking up misc items now that I have bat form and super jump.

After driving all day, I'm now a citizen of Connecticut. Failed to unpack, ordered chinese instead, dat peppa steak
Connecticut? That seems like quite the change.

That might be what I do wit Super Metroid. Maybe have a ~30 minute grace period for being lost between areas or something.

One of the issues I'm having with SOTN is I feel like a lot of the powers and such are undocumented compared to games nowadays. I'm so used to games telling you what the item you just got is exactly used for it's taking some adjusting.

I'm making decent progress so far, mostly just picking up misc items now that I have bat form and super jump.
Setting a time for yourself is probably a good idea, that way you won't waste too much of your gaming time being lost and you also won't get impatient enough to stop playing the game hopefully haha.

You do definitely have to learn a fair amount about the stuff in that game yourself though so I can see where you are getting at for that.

Connecticut? That seems like quite the change.
Hahaha, aren't you closer in age to Hank and me than most of these guys? I could swear you were...

But yeah, games these days do a lot of hand holding and take out a bunch of the difficulty/challenge. As such, younger generations don't recall the "old-school" games and how their design was challenging and they were hard to complete because of things like lives and continues running out. Gamers have become used to regenerating health and automatic checkpoints. So when a game doesn't spell everything out or doesn't make things easy, gamers just usually rage now ... (I still think this is why the original Dead Rising system gets all the hate it does [or at least a good portion of it]).

The design in SotN is pretty decent in that, if you go in a direction you're not supposed to yet, you will have trouble getting passed some obstacle. Some jump you can't make that requires the bat form, etc. -- the worst of most of the game is if you haven't found the items necessary to trigger the real boss in Dracula's throne room and open up the upside down castle. If you're stuck, you could always ask in here, if you don't want to use a guide -- I'm sure a lot of us played the game enough to at least vaguely remember what your next goal/area should be.

Super Metroid is the same way, I think -- there may be people in here who remember it better than I do, but I probably haven't played/finished that game since 1995... so it's been almost 20 years and when I watched the speed run on AGDQ2014, I was vaguely remembering stuff, but not anywhere near the level where I wouldn't tell you to go look in a FAQ. ;)

Yah it's exciting/scary. Girlfriend lives here, internship is based here, lot more job/internship opportunites (which were nada in the small town I'm from), not too long a train from NYC, etc.
Congrats, I think.

Is this the same girlfriend from before or a new one?

Hahaha, aren't you closer in age to Hank and me than most of these guys? I could swear you were...

But yeah, games these days do a lot of hand holding and take out a bunch of the difficulty/challenge. As such, younger generations don't recall the "old-school" games and how their design was challenging and they were hard to complete because of things like lives and continues running out. Gamers have become used to regenerating health and automatic checkpoints. So when a game doesn't spell everything out or doesn't make things easy, gamers just usually rage now ... (I still think this is why the original Dead Rising system gets all the hate it does [or at least a good portion of it]).

The design in SotN is pretty decent in that, if you go in a direction you're not supposed to yet, you will have trouble getting passed some obstacle. Some jump you can't make that requires the bat form, etc. -- the worst of most of the game is if you haven't found the items necessary to trigger the real boss in Dracula's throne room and open up the upside down castle. If you're stuck, you could always ask in here, if you don't want to use a guide -- I'm sure a lot of us played the game enough to at least vaguely remember what your next goal/area should be.

Super Metroid is the same way, I think -- there may be people in here who remember it better than I do, but I probably haven't played/finished that game since 1995... so it's been almost 20 years and when I watched the speed run on AGDQ2014, I was vaguely remembering stuff, but not anywhere near the level where I wouldn't tell you to go look in a FAQ. ;)

Congrats, I think.

same, been about 3 years now. thanks, i think

Congrats, I think.
Yeah I'm on the older range here. Now that I've got a decent device to play it on (previously I tried playing it on a PSP with a cracked screen and no battery life), I'll see it through. I've definitely become babied by all the hand holding that games do now. Last time I finished Super Metroid was...late 90s (after the N64 had came out), so it's been a while. The things I remember being frustrated in Super Metroid was learning wall jumps, disappearing blocks, and learning how to bomb jump.

Yah it's exciting/scary. Girlfriend lives here, internship is based here, lot more job/internship opportunites (which were nada in the small town I'm from), not too long a train from NYC, etc.
Congrats. Welcome to the next step post-college.

You're part of the EC FGC now. I better see your marvel tech at level up

bread's done
Back