GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that Bestbuy.com is actually carrying Raiden 3, but their release date is a little later. Like Ar Tonelico, they'll probably have a few in store

[quote name='Roufuss']Raiden III comes out tomorrow... I'll believe it when I see it ;)

It's a little steep at $30 (considering shooters are VERY niche over here) but I'll snag it the first chance I get because the Raiden series is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Wow, didn't realize it was tomorrow... might have to pick that up.

Gah, ok I also "Cave'd" and bought Ibara for PS2 from everyone's (not) favorite, Toys N Joys. Can't find this game anywhere right now and kicking myself for not grabbing it @ P-A when I had the chance.

Yeah, I hate Toys n' Joys and called them an unreliable, shitt store in my import guide. They're still an unreliable, shitty store... but I did get Ibara from them. That'll be the last of our dealings.

[quote name='gunm']I guess the cancelation of Ibara the Best caused everyone to run amok on the remaining copies...?[/QUOTE]
Seems that way. I was banking on the Best version coming out like any normal person... but when it was cancelled and I found out, it was clearly too late. Very, very annoying.

But I do have it now so I s'pose I feel better.

I just got my copy of Raiden 3. It doesnt have all those enemy shots like ibara (or any cave game) but it has that classic formula like the old versions of raiden. Overall a must buy for classic and shmup fans.

Also, I just got my copy of Red star and I cant wait to go try it out.

Raiden 3, while a bit slow for my tastes, is a pretty solid game. For $30, I'd say it was definitely worth it. I spent my afternoon playing this beast of a game. DOJ is insanely difficult, but soooo good!

cabs4.jpg

Played some Raiden III on my new HRAP2. Fun, old skool stuff.

Circa, did you get your Ibara kit from Arcade Shock yet? Those guys ship mega fast...

[quote name='gunm']Played some Raiden III on my new HRAP2. Fun, old skool stuff.

Circa, did you get your Ibara kit from Arcade Shock yet? Those guys ship mega fast...[/quote]
Not yet, decided to buy a Street Fighter 3 CPS3 setup first. But yes, trieu does ship very quickly.

I had a shmups marathon today....

RaidenFighters5-6.jpg
ESPrade5-6.jpg

Feveron5-6.jpg
Galuda5-6.jpg

Cool. Nice candy cab.

Kotaku today reiterated that Milestone is still listed as a Wii developer and rehashed the rumors that Karous is coming for the system. My poor Wii is already lamenting the lack of new games (SPM notwithstanding), but not sure if a 2D scrolling shooter would work so well with the Wii controls.

2D fighting on the other hand...

What are some good shmups (if there are any) for the DS or GBA?

I prefer vertical but I'd settle for any thing that's good and not TOO hard.

[quote name='suko_32']Out of curiosity, has anyone here played Imperishable Night (PC)?[/quote]

Yes, I have it. It's good.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']What are some good shmups (if there are any) for the DS or GBA?

I prefer vertical but I'd settle for any thing that's good and not TOO hard.[/QUOTE]Gradius muhfuggin Galaxies yo

[quote name='gunm']I don't know what to make of this yet. I guess this is good news?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-2-74-1e5-49-en.html

So Play Asia is making their own shmups? Maybe CheapyD can ask his contacts over there what is going on.[/QUOTE]

interesting.

and a big fuck to Toysnjoys, who cancelled my Ibara order. Oh well, Gradus 5 is a better game anyway.

[quote name='Apossum']interesting.

and a big fuck to Toysnjoys, who cancelled my Ibara order. Oh well, Gradus 5 is a better game anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I've given up on ever getting Ibara.

Oh well.

If I find another store that actually has the game, I'll let you guys know.... did any of you try hypergameaction.com?

Anyway, I should really try the game out. It's been sitting on that shelf for over a month now.

I don't know if anyone has ever played Arrow Flash (genesis) I fell in love w/ that game as a kid. I love the fact that you could transform the ship into a mech... I don't think it was considered great, but I thought it was. anyone ever play it?

Holy shit, Mushihime's out of print too now? I guess I stumbled upon a gold mine of shmups that I'll never sell.

FWIW, Mushihime is my favorite shmup I've played. The only Cave shmup on the PS2 I haven't played is Ibara, so I'm saying it's better than Dodonpachi and Espgaluda.

I think the original version of Mushihime is OOP. The Best version is also not very easy to find new/sealed.

I'm wondering if I should invest in an Ibara PCB kit. Arcade shock dropped the price on theirs, and I'm tempted. However, I don't have a supergun/Jamma set up yet, and that, besides the insane cost for pre-built setups and PCBs overall, is my biggest stumbling block to getting into that.

[quote name='gunm']I'm wondering if I should invest in an Ibara PCB kit. Arcade shock dropped the price on theirs, and I'm tempted. [/quote]
I just did. Couldn't resist any more at $300 shipped.:roll:

[quote name='gunm']However, I don't have a supergun/Jamma set up yet, and that, besides the insane cost for pre-built setups and PCBs overall, is my biggest stumbling block to getting into that.[/quote]
I could build you a supergun over the summer if you wanted. Depending on the features you want, it could be kept relatively cheap.

Play-Asia looks like they plan on restocking Mushihime, at least the Taito Best version... the page says "Backordered, ships once restocked" which usually means they plan on getting some more in.

When they never expect anymore, it says "Out of Print / Out of Stock".

When Mushihime shows back up at P-A, I will get it ASAP. Hell, you can even pay for a copy now and they'll ship it when it's available, which means they will absolutely get more copies in, because they don't let you order games they never plan on stocking again.

$74.90 for a used copy of Ibara is insane, though... almost as bad as $69.90 for a copy of ESP Galuda... I wish Galuda would have gone into some sort of The Best program. P-A still has used Ibara, so it looks like people aren't jumping at $75 + ship.

I want Ibara, but it is REALLY hard for me to drop anything more than $30 - $35 on a shmup... I've gotten 4 or 5 now from Play-Asia, either from The Best or from their seasonal sales, and 4 or 5 from the US so it's hard to pay double that, even if it is an awesome shmup. Hell, same thing with almost everything from Japan, to be honest.

[quote name='Roufuss']Play-Asia looks like they plan on restocking Mushihime, at least the Taito Best version... the page says "Backordered, ships once restocked" which usually means they plan on getting some more in.

When they never expect anymore, it says "Out of Print / Out of Stock".

When Mushihime shows back up at P-A, I will get it ASAP. Hell, you can even pay for a copy now and they'll ship it when it's available, which means they will absolutely get more copies in, because they don't let you order games they never plan on stocking again.
[/quote]

Actually, I'm not sure if they are really expecting more stock and here's the reason why: I went ahead and ordered Mushihime Best from them about a month and a half or so ago while it was in this backorder state. I did it as a buffer to prevent them from shipping out a larger order I made too soon.

But they ended up shipping it to me within a week--I was a little surprised.

So what I think is happening is that the game is available in Japan through whatever distribution channels they use (go to the store in person I guess), but no longer in direct distribution from the publisher or they are unable to get a significant quantity to stock, in-hand. It seems like they will only actively search for the item when someone actually places an order.

edit: oh, and thanks for the offer to build me a supergun, Circa, but I don't think it would be cheap as I prefer to have component out. I have other financial commitments, so I have to pass. appreciate it, though...

[quote name='gunm']Actually, I'm not sure if they are really expecting more stock and here's the reason why: I went ahead and ordered Mushihime Best from them about a month and a half or so ago while it was in this backorder state. I did it as a buffer to prevent them from shipping out a larger order I made too soon.

But they ended up shipping it to me within a week--I was a little surprised.

So what I think is happening is that the game is available in Japan through whatever distribution channels they use (go to the store in person I guess), but no longer in direct distribution from the publisher or they are unable to get a significant quantity to stock, in-hand. It seems like they will only actively search for the item when someone actually places an order.[/QUOTE]

In any case, thanks for the tip, and I'll throw down an order in the next day or so then... usually I've noticed it's a good sign when Play-Asia actually lets you order and pay for something, as opposed to saying it's just Out of Print and you're basacially screwed.

Also, Play-Asia has been known to just get random shipments of games after being OOS for a long time... I remember they were Out of Print / Out of Stock on Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3 for the longest time (at least over a year), and a few months ago it magically reappeared at I think $59.90. I was getting the funds to order it then, but to make it even better it was part of some seasonal sale two or three days once it came back in stock and they dropped it to $29.90, and it sold out within hours, and hasn't ever come back since.

Not sure where they found the extra copies at, but I was looking for it a very long time and finally nabbed it. Now I just need Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol 1 to complete the set.

Decided a new post is better for this:

What shmups does everyone currently have? Here is my small, but still awesome list:

US:

PS1

-------

Raiden Project
Thunderforce V
Gekioh Shooting King (might get rid of it and just get Shienryu for the PS2 since they are the same game)

PS2 US

--------

Gradius V
R-Type Final
Castle Shikigami 2
Raiden 3

PS 2 Japan

------------------------------

Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol 2: Sengoku Ace + Blade
Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol 3: Sol Divide + Dragon Blaze
Gigawing Generations
Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final
There might be one more that I can't remember =X

Not really a lot... I used to own a ton of shooters for my Dreamcast, like Under Defeat, Ikaruga, and Border Down, but I needed the money for college and I really wanted to be out of credit card debt so I sold them all - they were all still brand new too, so the money went to a good cause. Maybe one day I'll grab some of them back.

There is still a few cheap shmups I want to get, such as the Gunbird 1 + 2 collection, Mushihime, Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 1, and one or two others.

That's true about P-A randomly stocking stuff that goes OOP or is unavailable for a long time. I guess if you have any doubts about Mushi, then email them directly. It's hard to gauge the demand on items--I waited too long for Trizeal for DC new/sealed, and now it's gone. It was available for quite a while, too.

Here's my modest shmup list:

PSOne

Gekioh

DC

Bangai-o
Border Down LE
Castle Shikigami 2
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar 2
Radio Allergy
Trigger Heart Exelica LE
Under Defeat LE
Zero Gunner 2

GCN

Chaos Field
Ikaruga

PS2

Espgaluda
Gradius V
Ibara
Mushihime-sama (Taito Best)
R-Type Final
Raiden III

Saturn

Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Hyperduel
Kaitei Daisensou (In the Hunt)
Kingdom Grandprix
Sengoku Blade/Ace Episode II
Sonic Wings Special
Soukyu-Gurentai
Strikers 1945
Striker 1945 II
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Thunder Force V
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Twin Cobra II

And a few misc PC and VC/XBL shooters, too.

[quote name='Dandeschain']What do you cats think of Aegis Wing?[/quote]

It's ok. Haven't played it enough to form a right opinion of it yet.

The little bit I played was decent enough-- definitely some tricky patterns and obstacles to figure out. I wish rapid fire was about twice as fast though...firing just feels wrong to me.

[quote name='gunm'] edit: oh, and thanks for the offer to build me a supergun, Circa, but I don't think it would be cheap as I prefer to have component out. I have other financial commitments, so I have to pass. appreciate it, though...[/quote]
That's cool, I can't blame you for wanting the best video quality. Just as a fair tip: if you are ever looking into getting one, the difference in s-video and component on games meant for low-rez monitors is almost non-existant in most cases. S-video can be done dirt cheap as well.;)

I'll post my shooter collection later on. It's mostly PCBs as I rarely play console games anymore.:cry:

PS2

Castle Shikigami 2
Gradius V
R-Type Final
Raiden III
Silpheed

Gamecube

Chaos Field
Ikaruga

It's a shame how few titles are released stateside. Thank goodness for MAME...

PCBs:

Ibara (kit)
Esprade
Dangun Feveron (kit)
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-Jou
ESPgaluda (kit)
Armed Police Batrider
Mars Matrix
Aerofighters 2
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Raiden Fighters
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 Plus
Dragon Blaze
Aerofighters 3
Last Resort
Batsugun
Twinkle Star Sprites
Turbo Force
Radiant Silvergun
Soukyugurentai

Dreamcast:

Gunbird 2
Bangai-o (not sure I'd count this one)
Border Down
Chaos Field
Shikigami no Shiro II
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Ikaruga
Under Defeat
Last Hope
Trigger Heart Exelica
Mars Matrix
Karous
Psyvariar 1 and 2
Zero Gunner 2
Radilgy
Trizeal

Saturn:

Batsugun
Battle Garrega (need to get this pcb--what a game!)
Jikkyo Parodius
Detana Twinbee! Deluxe
Donpachi
Steam Hearts
Sexy Parodius
Dodonpachi
Gunbird
Rayforce
In the Hunt
Gokujou Parodius
Raystorm
Thunder Force V
Cotton Boomerang
Radiant Silvergun
Soukyugurentai
Cotton 2
Strikers 1945 II

I have PS1, NES, GEN, and PS2 shmups collections as well, but they aren't nearly as large.

GUNM: That's some nice stuff you've got there. ;)

Damn Gunm you love shooters. Here's my collection, I like to have one for each system:

SNES:
Phalanx

DS:
Nanostray

PS1:
Raiden Project

PS2:
Cho Aniki

DC:
Ikaruga
Gigawing 2
Bangai-o
Border Down LE
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar 2
Zero Gunner 2

X-Box 360:
Aegis Wing

AND THE GREATEST SHOOTER EVER MADE:

611409.jpg

lords-3.gif

I'm hoping that one day, the Wii gets Turbo Duo VC support and I can finally play Lords of Thunder.

So far, the VC itself has a very impressive collection of old school shooters.

My shmup collection is pretty much finished:

PS2:
Gradius V

Dodonpachi Daioujou
Espgaluda
Ibara
Mushihime-Sama

Dreamcast:

Trigger Heart Excelica
Under Defeat

Gamecube:

Ikaruga

I've also got some compilations with some shmups like Capcom Classics Collection Vols. 1 and 2. The only shmups I still want to get are Karous for the Dreamcast and Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final for the PS2. So yeah, kinda a light-ish collection, but that's really all I need.

No Raiden 3? For shame.

I forgot I also own Gradius Collection for the PSP, and I'll get all the other Konami shmup collections for the PSP when Play-Asia decides to have a sale on them... I'm a patient guy ;)

Taito Legends 2 came out today, can order it at Gamestop.com, some good shmups on there at a great price with plenty of other decent games.

[quote name='Roufuss']No Raiden 3? For shame.

I forgot I also own Gradius Collection for the PSP, and I'll get all the other Konami shmup collections for the PSP when Play-Asia decides to have a sale on them... I'm a patient guy ;)

Taito Legends 2 came out today, can order it at Gamestop.com, some good shmups on there at a great price with plenty of other decent games.[/QUOTE]

Bah, Raiden III seems kinda meh based on everything I've heard so far. And you reminded me that I want to pick up Gradius Collection, Salamander Portable, and Parodius Portable. And of course, Taito Legends 2.

[quote name='Chacrana']Bah, Raiden III seems kinda meh based on everything I've heard so far. And you reminded me that I want to pick up Gradius Collection, Salamander Portable, and Parodius Portable. And of course, Taito Legends 2.[/QUOTE]

I can wait for a price drop on Salamander + Parodius Portable, I've got a strong feeling Play-Asia will run a deal of the week on them or just put them on sale as part of a clearance, not sure why, just have a feeling... Raiden 3 is definitely worth the money, even more so if you can find it at Wal-Mart for $20.

Where did you hear it was meh? The only place I saw mention anything negative was the IGN review, and that review was laughably horrible because whoever wrote the review didn't even understand what a hit box was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back