GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='JEKKI']edit: wait... did salamander have the top scrolling stages??

or am I losing my mind?!?!?![/quote] Yes. To further clarify (based on the arcade releases), check M.A.W.S. It's near the bottom, under - UPDATES -

Over the holiday's i've downloaded about 100 Free Pc Shooters(Most are demo's) from the website below. All worked with my Wireless ps2 controller via a Ps2 to Pc usb adapter:

http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/PClinks1.html

Below is a list of my favorites:

Absolute Blue
Alien Wars
Angel Destroyer
Blue Wish Ressurection
Demon Star
Dovez
Eden's Edge
G-type
Gunroar
Jets n Guns
Parsec
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Playtypus
Tank-Q
Titanion

Alot of the websites to download these games are in Japanese so i used Google's language translator to make them readable(ie:find the download link):

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

To anybody importing Parodius and Twinbee on PSP:

which versions are you importing, japanese or asian release?

I notice the asian versions are $5 cheaper but has anybody heard if there may be any differences at all?

if they're coming out at the same time, they should be quite similar.

I think it's only when new versions come out much later they get changed.

I think.... (it happened to DJ Max, some songs n videos got censored).

something interesting tho is this:

http://www.konamistyle.jp/customfactory/shooting_t/index.html

it's the official webpage for the psp games which also shows PSP skins and t shirts!

I kinda want one, or two!

Jekki thanks!

It's funny you pointed out that DJ Max Portable got censored because I was going to import the International version along with Parodius & Twinbee.

Another question, how are you guys playing your JPN ps2 games? Looking over the recommendations, a lot of the good shooters are JPN only.
Did you import a JPN console or just chip your ps2s? I'm currently debating what I want to do.

I never realized Mushsihaiehaiehame (long retarded name) got released as part of The Best and is only $32 on Play-Asia... I might pick that up.

I'm bumping though, because what's the deal with The Best version of Ibara? For a long time, Play-Asia had the release date as last week, but now they are saying it's TBA?

I got Ikaruga today from EB with 20 percent off, and the game was marked as 19.99. Disc only, but fuck this game fucking rules! :]

I love the set-up and the graphics for this kind of game is awesome.

Ikaruga is the only GC game that Ive put into my Wii soo far.

[quote name='tiredfornow']I got Ikaruga today from EB with 20 percent off, and the game was marked as 19.99. Disc only, but fuck this game fucking rules! :]

I love the set-up and the graphics for this kind of game is awesome.[/quote]

so does any1 kno if silpheed for sega cd is good??

(yea rite, as if ppl played a sega cd game before...)

the reviews say so, but I hated the ps2 version

(it was one of the worst thing I ever played...)

is the sega cd one that much better??

That was one of the few games I had for Sega CD and it was ok--certainly better than that crap sequel on PS2. If you have a Sega CD, it's worth having in the collection.

Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3 is $29.90 at Play-Asia as part of their sale... this game was out of stock for almost two years, came back at $60, and is now 50% off.

$29.90 is worth it for Dragon Blaze... and it comes with Sol Divide, like a free bonus, but Sol Divide looks shitty.

so I was gonna reply in the mushi thread, but since this question is so broad I think it'd be better to bump this;

anyway,

do u hardcore shmups doods like roufuss and chacraxj (I dont exactly know your name!!) play your shmups using joystick or controller??

coz I never play them for very long periods of time, so I usually jus use my ps2 or dc controller that's already plugged in.

but I always see shmups at the arcade so I would think a joystick would be the better option...

Has there been a solid confirmation or date for the US release of Taito Legends 2? It's got a fair amount of SHMUPs on it.

[quote name='radjago']Has there been a solid confirmation or date for the US release of Taito Legends 2? It's got a fair amount of SHMUPs on it.[/quote]

Last I heard, it's due to be released sometime in March. Hope that's true.

On another note, I bought Task Force Harrier EX for the Genesis recently. One of the best vertical shmups on the system and well worth checking out if you can find a copy.
Also, my copy is complete, and there was a promotion stated on the box for a free subscription to EGM with the purchase of the game. Kinda funny, especially since I have a free EGM sub that runs until October 2013 (thanks to CAG :D )

[quote name='JEKKI']do u hardcore shmups doods like roufuss and chacraxj (I dont exactly know your name!!) play your shmups using joystick or controller??[/quote]
I like joysticks, but I use a gamepad for convenience's sake. I don't feel hampered by it at all.

[quote name='Allnatural']I like joysticks, but I use a gamepad for convenience's sake. I don't feel hampered by it at all.[/QUOTE]

Same.

Maybe when I get some more and play them on a regular basis I'll hook up the stick, but right now I go for conveinence and just use my wireless pad.

My Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3 should be here TODAY!!! I am psyched, I just ordered it yesterday ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']
My Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3 should be here TODAY!!! I am psyched, I just ordered it yesterday ;)[/QUOTE]

Dragon Blaze is just as awesome as I hoped... but I've always been a big fan of Psikyo's shmups.

Sadly, they didn't make very many of them.

All I need is the Gunbird package and Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 1 and I've pretty much got their entire library of shmups on the PS2.

Very awesome stuff.

It looks like Strikers 1945 III will never see a home release :(

[quote name='Roufuss']Same.

Maybe when I get some more and play them on a regular basis I'll hook up the stick, but right now I go for conveinence and just use my wireless pad.

My Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3 should be here TODAY!!! I am psyched, I just ordered it yesterday ;)[/QUOTE]

If I wanna be 1337 though, I gotta use the stick, right? I haven't used it for anything but fighting games.

Just won a copy of Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final on Ebay... $46 shipped and it includes the Superplay DVD too!

After the $15 off $30 Paypal rebate comes back, I paid $31 shipped for this awesome, out of stock everywhere shmup.

I've wanted to play it for a long time now since I sold my DC one... can't wait!

Dragon Spirits and old ass hell school Mega Tank for the arcades. Has anyone here ever remember an arcade shooter called AJAX? The vertical parts where with a helicopter, then it has 3-D shooter stages with what looked like an f-14 Tomcat. I have been trying to find that game anywhere and can't.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just won a copy of Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final on Ebay... $46 shipped and it includes the Superplay DVD too!

After the $15 off $30 Paypal rebate comes back, I paid $31 shipped for this awesome, out of stock everywhere shmup.

I've wanted to play it for a long time now since I sold my DC one... can't wait![/quote]

Wow, that's a great deal! I still haven't opened my copy of the DC version.

Also, fyi to anyone interested, Triggerheart Exelica for DC is shipping this week from P-A. My LE copy was sent out today.

I realize it's not even remotely close to being a real shmup but...

Does anyone know if Twinkle Star Sprites for PS2 (La Petite Princesse) is a silver-bottom PS2 disc?? Or anyway I could find out?

It finally hit the $35 mark, but my PS2 hates blue-bottom discs.

I got Shooter: Space Shot for PSX in the mail the other day. Ordered a new copy off of Amazon for $3.71 shipped. Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm hoping it's decent.

My Dangun Feveron pcb finally showed up about a week or so ago. I've been playing the hell out of it and really enjoy it.

It is very fast paced for a cave game, and the disco theme is great.:) Plus the difficulty is high and the scoring system is interesting so the replay value is good.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm bumping though, because what's the deal with The Best version of Ibara? For a long time, Play-Asia had the release date as last week, but now they are saying it's TBA?[/quote]
I know it has been some time since you asked about this, but I thought I'd let you know that the port was cancelled. Apparently they just couldn't get a portion of stage 5 programed correctly. Kinda sad to know that it was that close to completion...

[quote name='Circa2113']I know it has been some time since you asked about this, but I thought I'd let you know that the port was cancelled. Apparently they just couldn't get a portion of stage 5 programed correctly. Kinda sad to know that it was that close to completion...[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the Ibara sequel (Pink Sweets I think it was?) I remember hearing that it was canned as well.

As for the budget version of Ibara, me and Roufuss found out it was cancelled a while back.

Review of Triggerheart Exelica from racketboy.com:

"Review: Trigger Heart Exelica - Dreamcast

trigger-cover.jpg

One of the most interesting things about the Sega Dreamcast is that commercial games are still slowly being released in Japan more than 5 years after it was taken off the retail scene in the US. As one of the three (so far) 2D shooters to be released in 2007, Trigger Heart Exelica is gathering a good deal of attention from diehard Dreamcast fans and shmup addicts.

Whenever I review a shooter, I have to admit that I am not a shooter expert. I like to play them on occasion, but I am not fluent in all the hardcore terminology an such. So if you are looking for a detailed gameplay review from the perspective of a shmup master, you should look elsewhere. Instead, I will take a look at Trigger Heart Exelica from the perspective of your average old-school gamer.

Graphics/Presentation: 8
There is not much to complain about in terms of graphics at all. Everything is well-executed, colorful, and well animated. It does not quite have the polish and character of an Ikaruga, but it is quite respectable.

There did seem to be a bit of a slowdown when explosions filled the screen after defeating the bosses, but it is nothing that took away from the game. If I remember correctly, I have noticed this on some other Dreamcast shmups as well.

trigger-1.jpg

Trigger Heart Exelica does support VGA mode and looks absolutely beautiful, as expected. The game also supports vertical mode for those of you with widescreen displays that you have the ability to rotate. This would have worked perfect for me on my widescreen LCD, except that my monitor only rotates clockwise and Trigger Heart Exelica only let me rotate the game the opposite direction.

The intros and menus were very well-designed and I loved the overall style of the presentation. Most of the text and speech in the menus and options were in English, so it is very import friendly. However, the tutorial at the beginning of the the game is all in Japanese, so you may need to look online to figure out some of the gameplay mechanics like grabbing and tossing enemies unless you experiment a lot.

Overall, I would put Trigger Heart Exelica in the top 5 list of most professional and beautiful Dreamcast shmups. (just don't ask me to rank them right now).

Sound/Music: 7
It takes a lot to impress me in terms of video game music, but Trigger Heart Exelica does an adequate job. The music was pretty typical for a shooter, if not bordering generic. It wasn't especially dramatic or anything, but had a rather old-school arcade feel to it.

The sound quality overall was respectable on my speakers and I enjoyed the sound effects and the English voices were greatly appreciated.

Gameplay/Control: 8
trigger-2.jpg

As I stated in the introduction, I don't claim to be a shmup expert and I won't pretend to be. I can't give you a detailed breakdown of Trigger Heart Exelica's gameplay elements, but I can definitely give you my impressions as a casual shooter fan.

One of the biggest obstacles with shooters for me is the difficulty level. Some of the modern shooters focus on being as challenging as possible for the hardcore shooting fans. Trigger Heart Exelica isn't one of these. While it is not quite as easy as a game like Zero Gunner 2, I felt that Trigger Heart Exelica is right at that sweet spot of being easy enough for casual fans like myself while still having enough bullets filling the sky to make things interesting. Keep in mind that I was playing in "Normal" mode, so you can adjust the difficulty level accordingly for your skill level.

I think the most appealing thing about Trigger Heart Exelica was the lock-on and fling technique. Your character has the ability to lock on and capture the smaller enemies and bring them up to yourself. You can then use them as a shield or fling them at other opponents for extra damage and points. I have to admit this gimmick took some getting used to, but I effectively added an interesting dimension into the gameplay.

One other little tidbit caught my attention. As with many shooters, throughout the game you collect little yellow items for points. However, the items are actually drawn into your character when you aren't shooting. It is a little incentive to only shoot when it most appropriate instead of just holding down the fire button.

trigger-3.jpg

I felt that Trigger Heart Exelica has enough little gimmicks to keep the shooter unique and interesting. While it wasn't as deep as Ikaruga, I felt that is represented a game that should not be overlooked by those remotely interested in shmups.

Affordability: 6
As with most new Dreamcast imports, Trigger Heart Exelica won't come cheap. You can still pick it up at importers like PlayAsia for $60. Is it worth that much just for the gameplay? Not really unless you are a diehard shooter fan. At that price, you are primarily paying for the collectability of the late Dreamcast releases.

Overall: 8
I was pleasantly surprised with Trigger Heart Exelica. It won't blow you away or anything, but it is good for an afternoon of shooting goodness.

Sounds pretty good to me. Still waiting on my copy from P-A.

My copy of the LE's on the way... but I don't expect to see the thing for a while... oh well. It looks like it'll be really, really good.

Snagged a copy of Gradius V today for a sweet $18. I just found out it was developed by Treasure (and subsequently kicked myself for passing it up numerous times when it was clearanced at TRU.)

as expected, this game is freaking sweet. great production values and those trademark ridiculously intense situations that only Treasure can pull off.

speaking of u.s. released PS2 shmups, what's out there?
all I can think of:

--Gradius III+IV and V
--Castle Shikigami 2
--ummm....drawing a blank here :lol:

US released ps2 shmups? Hmmm.. lets see...

Gradius III&IV
Gradius V
R-Type Final
Mobil Light Force 2 (Castle Shikigami 1)
Castle Shikigami 2
Silpheed

uhh... thats all I can think of for now.

[quote name='Apossum']Snagged a copy of Gradius V today for a sweet $18. I just found out it was developed by Treasure (and subsequently kicked myself for passing it up numerous times when it was clearanced at TRU.)

as expected, this game is freaking sweet. great production values and those trademark ridiculously intense situations that only Treasure can pull off.

speaking of u.s. released PS2 shmups, what's out there?
all I can think of:

--Gradius III+IV and V
--Castle Shikigami 2
--ummm....drawing a blank here :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='Apossum']Snagged a copy of Gradius V today for a sweet $18. I just found out it was developed by Treasure (and subsequently kicked myself for passing it up numerous times when it was clearanced at TRU.)

as expected, this game is freaking sweet. great production values and those trademark ridiculously intense situations that only Treasure can pull off. [/QUOTE]mother freakin Game of the Year 2004!!!!!

I played dat shit non-stop until the internet rankings were over.

[quote name='asianxcore']I realize it's not even remotely close to being a real shmup but...

Does anyone know if Twinkle Star Sprites for PS2 (La Petite Princesse) is a silver-bottom PS2 disc?? Or anyway I could find out?

It finally hit the $35 mark, but my PS2 hates blue-bottom discs.[/QUOTE]

I think it's on DVD, I'm not 100% sure but I can check when I get home tonight.

[quote name='JEKKI']mother freakin Game of the Year 2004!!!!!

I played dat shit non-stop until the internet rankings were over.[/QUOTE]

There's like...6 bosses in stage 2???!!! i'm in love :baby:

[quote name='asianxcore']I realize it's not even remotely close to being a real shmup but...

It finally hit the $35 mark, but my PS2 hates blue-bottom discs.[/QUOTE]

It's DVD (silver bottom), I checked last night.

aside from the raidien fighters series and the metal slug series and the aero fighters series ive never been too into shooters. oh yeah and legendary wings but i tell you what i really would like to try those gungrave games.i got the anime and ive been meaning to look it over but id love to try them.

Anybody try Karous yet? Looks a little too similar to Radilgy (with a bad color palette) for my taste, but the gameplay mechanics look interesting.

[quote name='gunm']Anybody try Karous yet? Looks a little too similar to Radilgy (with a bad color palette) for my taste, but the gameplay mechanics look interesting.[/QUOTE]

From what I'm hearing on other boards, it turned out surprisingly well... it's supposed to be much better than Radilgy.

[quote name='Chacrana']From what I'm hearing on other boards, it turned out surprisingly well... it's supposed to be much better than Radilgy.[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks!

[quote name='lokizz']aside from the raidien fighters series and the metal slug series and the aero fighters series ive never been too into shooters. oh yeah and legendary wings but i tell you what i really would like to try those gungrave games.i got the anime and ive been meaning to look it over but id love to try them.[/QUOTE]yeay rite, I played gungrave b4 it came out at E3, and it was awesome~!!

then my friend had it, and I played thru the 1st level, and it was awesome~!!

halfway thru the 2nd level the game becomes BORING AS HELL!!!

I donno about the 2nd game tho...

regardless it's a better rent than buy, as u can prolly beat it in a sitting.

but anyway, Gungrave aint no shmup!!! what the hell man?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back