GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Raptor -- that was pretty good back in the day. IIRC, Mountain King has the rights to that now (mking.com or something.)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']One old Apogee PC gem that you could probably find online for download would have to be Raptor.[/quote]

I remember when about two years ago my friends in I got into a discussion about old comp games we loved. The end result was that we all went back, installed Raptor and Monkey Island and blew threw them as fast as we could. Oh, those were good times. The last handful of stages were a blast, especially if you couldn't afford equipment.

By the way, my friend also mentioned another shooter for the computer at around the early 90's or so, which started with a 'T'. I forget the title itself but one major part of it was that particular power-ups also gave you story tidbits as well so you eventually piece together the overall plot while you play. Pretty interesting.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of SHMUPs but I'm too cheap to import most of them, sadly. But if some like Ibara and Under Defeat are really worth it I may as well take the eventual plunge. There's always just been something about a legitimately difficult game that just feels so...thrilling.

[quote name='Kapwanil']I remember when about two years ago my friends in I got into a discussion about old comp games we loved. The end result was that we all went back, installed Raptor and Monkey Island and blew threw them as fast as we could. Oh, those were good times. The last handful of stages were a blast, especially if you couldn't afford equipment.

By the way, my friend also mentioned another shooter for the computer at around the early 90's or so, which started with a 'T'. I forget the title itself but one major part of it was that particular power-ups also gave you story tidbits as well so you eventually piece together the overall plot while you play. Pretty interesting.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of SHMUPs but I'm too cheap to import most of them, sadly. But if some like Ibara and Under Defeat are really worth it I may as well take the eventual plunge. There's always just been something about a legitimately difficult game that just feels so...thrilling.[/QUOTE]

Raptor had the cheapest cheat ever though... hit backspace and you get free money :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']i want to get copies of Dodonpachi Daioujou and Ibara for around $60 a piece...found Ibara for $57, but DD seems to be $70 and up...and there's always the chance of them getting into "The Best" budget collection.[/QUOTE]

Dodonpachi has been out for awhile now... I don't think it's ever going into The Best.

[quote name='Roufuss']Dodonpachi has been out for awhile now... I don't think it's ever going into The Best.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I emailed NCSX about it...they said it got an initial run of 10,000 that sold poorly and definitely won't get any kind of reprint.

anyone remember an old PC shooter that started off with a newscast that said something about a lumberjack cutting down the world's last tree? I forget what it's called...it may have been raptor. that scene scared the crap out of me when I was like 9 or 10. :lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']One old Apogee PC gem that you could probably find online for download would have to be Raptor.[/quote]

Thank You! I just read through the whole thread looking to see if someone said anything about this game.

My childhood was filled with playing shareware games like Wacky Wheels, Commander Keen and two games that need to be named in this thread, Rapter and Major Striker. Great games.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']Thank You! I just read through the whole thread looking to see if someone said anything about this game.

My childhood was filled with playing shareware games like Wacky Wheels, Commander Keen and two games that need to be named in this thread, Rapter and Major Striker. Great games.[/QUOTE]
If you liked Raptor, you'd probably like Demonstar. It's a pretty good PC SHMUP, especially in co-op.

Also, Tyrian 2000 is an old PC SHMUP that was released as freeware. You'll probably have to use DosBox if you want to get it running on an XP machine.

The Amiga had a lot of good SHMUPs too. Lots of ports from other systems and games like Sidewinder and Thexder.

I'm looking for some PSX recommendations. Leave anything you got here or in that thread.

Raiden Project for PSX is pretty decent.

Does anyone know any good forums for shmups? I know shmups.com has a message board, but I didn't like that place at all... the community is small and they don't seem very friendly. I'm thinking more along the lines of something like shoryuken.com but just for shmups.

Not to mention that, imo, shmups.com is kind of a disorganized mess.

LONG SPIEL WARNING!

You're out of luck, man. There are currently no other English forums focusing on shooters. I'd suggest you kiss and make up. Shmups is among the closest knit forums I've encountered (although I certainly don't contribute to that friendliness =P), and covers the gamut from strategy to newb questions, albeit in a more serious manner. There was an semi-alternative forum in the past but it was even more serious and strict than Shmups. From my experience, this type of atmosphere comes with an older member base.

Anyway, some Shmups members just don't look too kindly towards people who seem to just be in it for sales. You were unlucky, yet you gotta admit that your response didn't help matters. If you had started off posting anywhere else on Shmups, I guarantee that you would've found a positive reception; and I suggest you do so if you wanna learn more about shooters (or you can learn JP...).

As for the forum size, the sad reality is that shooters really aren't popular at all in the US besides in niche communities. Whereas you can at least compete head-to-head in fighters, there's no sense of direct competition in shooters, esp. where the concept of score has all but been forgotten in modern games.

But whatever way you choose, don't let it affect your enjoyment for the games themselves. Have fun!

It's cool, I ended up just relisting the games on Ebay and got more then what I was offered by the members there... it was a friend's idea to try it out and list the games there for sale, I didn't think it would be that much of a problem, and if it is, why not just disable new members from the trading post for a month ala CAG?

Hell, the only reason I was selling the games is because I owned them on different systems, and was just doing some spring cleaning. Oh well, their loss I guess snagged some factory sealed DC shmups. I guess I'm more accustomed to the CAG trading forums where no one cares who you are or what you do, they just care what you have for sale.

I really don't think I'll end up going back, I'll just continue to enjoy shmups on my own with the few people I know who also play them.

In other news, I finally got around to playing Twinkle Star Sprites on the Dreamcast... it's pretty fun, but sadly the Saturn version is much better so I believe I'm going to have to sell this one and upgrade some time in the future. TSS is fun... it seems overly simplistic at first, but then you start to realize it's not an ordinary shmup... kind of a puzzle / shooter hybrid in the sense that you're playing against another opponent, and you need to make chains out of the enemies to flood their screen with projectiles.

EDIT: I just found out the remake of TSS on the PS2 includes the original game as an unlockable... definitely dumping my DC copy now.

Bump up for this, Play-Asia has the Under Defeat Limited Edition for $59.90 as part of their summer sale... that's $10 CHEAPER than the regular edition!

It comes with the game + soundtrack, IIRC.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3? It's got Dragon Blaze / Sol Divide on it and it's OOS everywhere it seems.

I'm totally obsessed with shooters now. Strange, since I'm terrible at them.

Anyway, I ended up getting a DC from a co-worker gratis and now have the following:

Under Defeat
Psyvariar 2
Bangai-O
Mars Matrix
Giga Wing 2

I have a couple pending as well:

Zero Gunner 2
Ikaruga (GCN)

I just lost an auction that ended today for a really sweet mint/complete Border Down LE package. The soundtrack CD and mousepad were still sealed. It ended up closing at $123, too rich for my blood, though I was willing to go up to $110 shipped.

Next on my list is probably Chaos Field for GCN from GS since it's relatively cheap to get new, sealed.

But now I'm contemplating importing some PS2 shooters. Can anyone list their fave PS2 shmups, or offer any suggestions on good ones please?

Also, anyone heard anything about the upcoming Senko no Ronde Rev.X shooter for Xbox 360 Japan?

Thanks!

Huh, not a popular thread I guess. Anyway, I ended up picking up Radilgy from Play-Asia to close out my wants from the summer sale. While the reviews were mixed, I liked what I saw from the videos posted on the 'Net. can't wait!

Yeah, guess it isn't a popular thread. I like shooters, my problem is that I guess I'm too cheap to pay the price to import them right now. So many I'd love to play.

Last shooter I was playing was Gradius V. Enjoying it, have to get back to it again.

Can't start Ikaruga, game absolutely owned me for 6 weeks straight at one point, to a stage where it was more fustrating than fun. My high score in the game never seemed high enough for the time I put into it either.

I got Gradius V in the mail a couple days ago (haven't opened it yet) and I ordered Under Defeat LE from the Summer Sale. I really hope that both games turn out to be as good as I'm anticipating.

Oh, and as for good PS2 shmups, I hear Dodonpachi Daioujou is awesome. Still need to get it myself, but the price is steep.

Under Defeat is fun. The visuals are fantastic and make me wonder how far the DC could've gotten if maybe it was able to play DVDs like the PS2.

Would like to try slide card/Swapmagic for my PS2, but that extra step sounds like more of a hassle than I want to deal with, regardless of what Chacarana's thread says. Too bad imports are so expensive. Sigh...

Is Under Defeat's music any good? I grabbed the LE because it was on sale, but I'm hoping that the soundtrack that comes with it is at least decent.

[quote name='Chacrana']Is Under Defeat's music any good? I grabbed the LE because it was on sale, but I'm hoping that the soundtrack that comes with it is at least decent.[/quote]

It's ok. Honestly, I tend to tune out the BGM, especially in shooters or other fast action games.

Oh btw, did anyone see this yet? It's a shmup documentary from some french gaming channel. Heh, I bet even the french have a better game channel than we do.

Also, did anyone ever pick up one of those "Insanity" or other fan-oriented DVDs showing how the best players run through each level of a shmup? They're fantastically expensive, so I wonder if it's worth even considering. (Youtube is ok but the resolution sucks).

Has anyone heard anything about that Mushihime game? It looks prettty cool and it's developed by Cave so it might actually be worth getting. It just got the budget priced rerelease today so it's not even that expensive now.

[quote name='Chacrana']Has anyone heard anything about that Mushihime game? It looks prettty cool and it's developed by Cave so it might actually be worth getting. It just got the budget priced rerelease today so it's not even that expensive now.[/quote]

I noticed that too. The reviews I've read say this is a short, but beautiful game that is actually a bit less difficult than most Cave shooters. The fact that your avatar is a purple-haired female is also intriguing. It's mostly in english, which is a plus. I think I'm going to get the Taito Best version real soon, although I still need to pick up a slide card/swap magic.

[quote name='gunm']I noticed that too. The reviews I've read say this is a short, but beautiful game that is actually a bit less difficult than most Cave shooters. The fact that your avatar is a purple-haired female is also intriguing. It's mostly in english, which is a plus. I think I'm going to get the Taito Best version real soon, although I still need to pick up a slide card/swap magic.[/QUOTE]

I've read that it's really good as well... looks like I may have to buy this one...

I might be getting a copy of Ibara really soon from a friend... he's got it up on Ebay right now with 1 day left, and I don't think it'll sell (it's on a BIN).

I'm gonna try and nab it for $50.

[quote name='Roufuss']I might be getting a copy of Ibara really soon from a friend... he's got it up on Ebay right now with 1 day left, and I don't think it'll sell (it's on a BIN).

I'm gonna try and nab it for $50.[/quote]

So did you get it? If so, how is it?

Got Under Defeat in the mail today... can't wait to try that shit out.

Oh, and I got the Sega Ages Treasure Box with it. Wicked.

[quote name='gunm']So did you get it? If so, how is it?[/QUOTE]

I gotta call him, I'm pretty sure I'll get it, I'm not worried about it.

I found a new copy of Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final today for $25 :)

I had never heard of the game before, but a friend of mine introduced it to me on Dreamcast. I liked what I played.

[quote name='asianxcore']I found a new copy of Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final today for $25 :)

I had never heard of the game before, but a friend of mine introduced it to me on Dreamcast. I liked what I played.[/quote]

Wow, nice score! I wish the DC version had the extra features of ultimate final, but at least it looks a little better. :p

I picked up a beat up copy of Gekioh for PSOne @GS today. I don't have many shmups beyond what I have for DC (only Gradius V for PS2 and Gradius Collection for PSP), so this was actually pretty fun for me. I was actually looking for Einhander (web site was wrong--oh well what did I expect?), but that was a no go.

[quote name='cletus']I've been playing a lot of Perfect Cherry Blossom lately incase there are any other fans here. Actually, this game was one of the reasons I finally upgraded my computer. So far I've managed to get to the final boss but I always die before beating her. I'm holding off playing Imperishable Night until I get better at this game.[/quote]

I decided to pick up Imperishable Night from Paletweb after checking out the YouTube videos and downloading the demo. It's unreal that just one guy did all that stuff. Some of these doujin games could easily pass for full-on commercial stuff. Thank goodness these "curtain fire shooters" have an easy mode...

I missed Nanostray, but I think I'll hold out for Nanostray 2 now. Supposedly they are getting rid of the touch screen weapon select, so hopefully this will end up being a superior sequel...

Hopefully Nano Stray 2 or whatever that other DS shmup was will turn out well... hopefully there'll be no touch screen use because it's absolutely pointless in this genre.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']One of the best shooters, and I still play it was M.U.S.H.A[/QUOTE]

Hey that was one of my favorites too. I still have pristine copy of it in my closet that I haven't played in years. In this generation I have Gradius V and R-Type Final that I still have yet to play.

Well I finally got a copy of gates of thunder for the turbografx. The reviews I read are true one of the best shooters around.

Under defeat has great graphics and a visually stunning bomb but the shoots from the angles get a bit annoying after while.

What are your top 5 shmups at the moment?

-Twin Cobra (arcade)
-Radiant silvergun (SS)
-Dodonpachi (SS)
-Radien project (ps1)
-Gates of thunder (turboduo)

Courtesy of Racketboy:

Konami To Bring Shooter Motherload to the PSP

psp.jpg

Konami's underground success of their Gradius Collection on the PSP has convinced them to bring three more of their popular shmup franchises to the PSP as well.

Salamander, TwinBee and Parodius will all be given a similar compilation treatment and will most likely retails for for 4179 yen (around $35) and will be released in Japan by the beginning of 2007.

Here's the juicy game lineup details for you shooter junkies:

Salamander Collection
  • Salamander
  • Life Force
  • Salamander 2
  • Xexex
  • Additional "Secret Game"
Parodius Collection
  • Parodius Da!
  • Gokujou Parodius
  • Sexy Parodius
  • Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
  • Another "Secret Game"
TwinBee Collection
  • TwinBee
  • Deta Na!! TwinBee
  • TwinBee Yahho
  • Pop'n TwinBee
  • One More "Secret Game"
Sonnuva...and I just got rid of my PSP!

I was just thinking I need to get my Ikaruga on here again sometime soon. Seeing this thread resurrected, maybe I'll do that tonight. Dang, Chibi-Robo's never going to get beat at this rate. ;)

How do the fine people of this thread feel about the recent up-swing in Asteroids-style shooters, particularly those of XBLA (Geo Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded)?

[quote name='T234']How do the fine people of this thread feel about the recent up-swing in Asteroids-style shooters, particularly those of XBLA (Geo Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded)?[/quote]
I really enjoyed Grid Wars (the Geometry Wars PC clone), but while it share some aspects with traditional Shoot-em-ups, I think they're in a totally different genre as the Galaga / 1942 / Gradius / R-Type / Ikaruga games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back