GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutant Storm Empire is closest in genre to R-Type. It has continually flowing levels, varied enemy types, and changing scenery. I think the big difference in the two sub-genres is the ability to shoot in any direction in Geo Wars and the like, versus choreographed shots in Ibara and the like. Both giving drastically different gameplay experiences. One is often deeper, requiring more thought; while the other is often more frantic, demanding reflexes most people wish they had.

That being said, those PSP collections are making me hard just thinking about them.:D:D:D

I've been on kind of a shmup high recently. I finally got to play more than a couple minutes of Under Defeat since I opened up my copy of the LE today... absolutely phenomenal game. Everything about it just clicks. I liked what little I'd played of it a couple of months ago, but now that I've spent some time on it, I like it even more. Definitely worth picking that one up if you haven't already done so.

And I've got Dodonpachi Daioujou and Mushihime-Sama on the way. Hopefully those'll both live up to the hype... especially Dodonpachi. I figured that it'd be best to grab that game while I can since it came out back in 2003 so it's probably going to be a bitch to find sometime soon.

Dodonpachi will give you nightmares. just bullets. everywhere.

had a pleasant surprise coming home today-- a copy of Ikaruga I was holding on to for when I got a Wii...which I did...so I can play! woo!

[quote name='Apossum']Dodonpachi will give you nightmares. just bullets. everywhere.

had a pleasant surprise coming home today-- a copy of Ikaruga I was holding on to for when I got a Wii...which I did...so I can play! woo![/QUOTE]

Mushihime looked pretty fuckin' ridiculous too. In the video I watched, there were so many fucking bullets that you couldn't see the boss. I can't wait to try these since few things in gaming are more rewarding than successfully navigating through bullet hell. Ironic that one of the genres on its deathbed is the one that can offer the most excitement.

Needs more Touhou
PCByukari140.jpg

Perfect Cherry Blossom

Touhou_08.png

Imperishable Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlaYhnt2sg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THstfpHAGzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THstfpHAGzQ

I think I play schmups just for the split second of tranquility that happens right when you know you are going to die and you cant do anything about it. Theres all this tension, then just suddenly a moment of peace.

As far as the genre goes, there is one thing that I dont believe has been done.

A 2 player versus game where both players sit on the same static screen and dynamically create bullet curtains to try to hit the other guy.

You could have the screen split by a barrier, or it could be free roam and the more aggressive player could chase the other player around.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
A 2 player versus game where both players sit on the same static screen and dynamically create bullet curtains to try to hit the other guy.

You could have the screen split by a barrier, or it could be free roam and the more aggressive player could chase the other player around.[/QUOTE]

It's not the EXACT same idea but Twinkle Star Sprites had something close to this in concept, I believe.

The gameplay, which can be characterized as a combination of a fixed shooter and a versus puzzle game, uses combinations of shots, as well as timed powerups to attempt to damage the opponent. These attacks also serve as counters to the opponent's attack.

I think two players could play against each other but they were on seperate playfields doing their own thing.. I believe the chains you shot down were sent to your opponents screen as fireballs.

2 Questions:

1) I should be playing shmups using an arcade stick, right?

2) Is there any place that talks about shmups on the PC? Or does anyone have some recommendations on some of the crazy ones from Japan? I've kinda been eyeing Raiden III in particular...

[quote name='Apossum']Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet...

Ibara -- Taito's Best -- $29.90 -- 1/18/07
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-77-8-49-en-15-Ibara-70-1o8h.html

Not too shabby and I'm glad I didn't buy this before (which I came close to doing many times)

I hear there's little chance of Dodonpachi Daioujou ever getting a "best" release...unfortunately[/QUOTE]

Awesome... seems like I'll be placing a big order with Play-Asia in early Jan ;)

Any other shooters going into The Best club?

[quote name='Apossum']Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet...

Ibara -- Taito's Best -- $29.90 -- 1/18/07
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-77-8-49-en-15-Ibara-70-1o8h.html

Not too shabby and I'm glad I didn't buy this before (which I came close to doing many times)

I hear there's little chance of Dodonpachi Daioujou ever getting a "best" release...unfortunately[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info, Possum. Absolutely no question about when I'll be getting Ibara now. Seems like Taito's shooters automatically get a "best" release around a year after they first come out based on this and Mushihime. As for Dodonpachi getting a best release... probably not since I don't think Arika does anything like that... and the game came out in 2003 so they would've done something by now if they had any plans.

Courtesy of racketboy.com:

Another brand-spanking new Dreamcast shmup!!!

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/11/triggerheart-exelica-yet-another-new.html

Triggerheart Exelica, huh? Is that a gravity gun? All I know is it will be mine. I liked Shooting King/Shienryu and this looks like a really creative spin on that game.

Edit: Play-asia has this available for pre-order. I picked up the LE with the holiday coupon for a nice $10 savings.
Well, really $4 savings since shipping for the LE is a bit over $6...

LE version: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-x-49-en-70-1qgd.html
Regular: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-x-49-en-70-1qgc.html

They also have Last Hope, for $39.90, if anyone's interested. I didn't even realize that is supposed to come out this month.

Radio Allergy: Radirgy To Blast Onto The US Gamecube

In fact, as reported a while back, the Dreamcast shmup, Radirgy (which also went by a slew of other spellings) is indeed following the footsteps of Ikaruga and others shooters by transitioning the the Gamecube.

What is interesting and somewhat surprising, the cell-shaded shmup is actually slated to be released in the US under a more English-friendly name, Radio Allergy. (thanks to ShootTheCore for the tip)

Publisher, O3 Entertainment has stated that the game has February 2007 as a target release date. Strangley enough, Amazon.com already has a listing for the game (with a December 31 release date) with a price of $19.99.

I've heard that Radirgy was actually pretty bad once you get over the novelty of the cel-shaded graphics.

In slightly more interesting news, the Dreamcast is getting the shmup Trigger Heart Excellia on February 22nd, 2007. There's a regular edition and a limited edition that comes with a soundtrack. IIRC, this game has a mechanic where you can grab enemy ships and throw them into other enemies.

Oh, and Mushihime II is headed to the PS2 next year. I think that's great news since Mushihime-Sama is my favorite shmup.

[quote name='Chacrana']I've heard that Radirgy was actually pretty bad once you get over the novelty of the cel-shaded graphics.
[/QUOTE]

At $20 and releasing on a dead system, I'll get it just for the novelty of having it.

[quote name='Roufuss']At $20 and releasing on a dead system, I'll get it just for the novelty of having it.[/quote]
Same developer behind Chaos Field, so...

I thought Chaos Field was decent, so I'll be picking this up.

Blazing star rules, I have it on the mvs. One of my favorite 5 neo games!
POS3 would do good to have some new exciting 2d franchises

For fans of free awesome PC shumups--

http://www18.big.or.jp/~hikoza/Prod/index.html

check out Ray Hound and Warning Forever.

Ray Hound isn't exactly a shooter. You catch rays with a force field thing and launch them back at enemies in a static level. it's kind of a twitch-puzzle game.

Warning Forever is very much a shooter though. It's all boss fights, with each boss getting larger and more ridiculous as you get further in.

There's a few more on the site that I haven't tried out but look great.

[quote name='crystalklear64']My fav was a Capcom game by the name of Dimahoo. I thought it stood out because of the use of magic over technology, and the Ikaruga-esque more damage vs. other craft with a color opposite to the gun you were shooting. Good fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimahoo[/QUOTE]

I'd expect that on the inevitable Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 3 since Capcom's finally getting around to their CPS 2 games now... which includes Dimahoo.

If they make CCC3, instead piecing it out on XBL or some bullshit, They need to put Dimahoo, Giga Wing 1+2 and that other one with 3-D graphics on it :drool:

Well, I'd rather not make an entirely new post for this, so here's my question.

After buying Ikaruga a few days ago, I immediately picked up all the shmups I could find for current gen consoles. I have:

Ikaruga (GC)
Chaos Field (GC)
R-Type Final (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)
Gradius III+IV (PS2)
Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2)

I realize that there's basically no shmups released in the states anymore for current and next-gen conosles. So I'm looking mostly at import PS2, DC, and Saturn games. Can I get a few suggestions on good imports that don't cost $60+?

[quote name='Apossum']If they make CCC3, instead piecing it out on XBL or some bullshit, They need to put Dimahoo, Giga Wing 1+2 and that other one with 3-D graphics on it :drool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really hope that we get another year of compilations before companies catch on to the whole marketplace system... because I like owning games... not having them loaned out to me by Nintendo or MS.

I haven`t shot up for ages... but the last time i did was during a contra 3 marathon......

Drugs are bad... Drugs and video games are Grrrrrrreat

[quote name='Chacrana']I've heard that Radirgy was actually pretty bad once you get over the novelty of the cel-shaded graphics.

In slightly more interesting news, the Dreamcast is getting the shmup Trigger Heart Excellia on February 22nd, 2007. There's a regular edition and a limited edition that comes with a soundtrack. IIRC, this game has a mechanic where you can grab enemy ships and throw them into other enemies.

Oh, and Mushihime II is headed to the PS2 next year. I think that's great news since Mushihime-Sama is my favorite shmup.[/QUOTE]

It sucks that my DC died a month or 2 ago, hopefully one of the import shops near me can fix it.

As for Mushihime, I still need to pick that up along with Twinkle Star Sprites.

Whoa, thanks for the info. I hope this is better than Chaos Field and Radilgy, but at the very least, it's interesting to finally hear word that it's hitting the Dreamcast. It's been rumored for a looong time now.

[quote name='JEKKI']Ive never seen this thread and I don't kno what u guys talk about...

but I jus saw these pre-orders on playasia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-47-fly-70-1or7.html
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-47-fly-70-1or6.html
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-47-fly-70-1or5.html

I wonder if they'll be semi-updates???

I can definately do without salamander though...

as a matter of fact,

I can definately do without pre-orders since I want these prices to DROP!![/QUOTE]

I believe that these are supposed to be straight ports just like Gradius Portable was... though I can't see these coming over because they're not anywhere near as well known as Gradius (and even that's not well known.)

are you serious?!?!

serious as in... parodius and twinbee COLLECTIONS??

I am totally down for that!!

(isnt salamander the same as gradius btw??)

[quote name='JEKKI']are you serious?!?!

(isnt salamander the same as gradius btw??)[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, you didn't know that these were collections? I'm considering picking up Parodius since I've heard it's really good and because I want to try Sexy Parodius. A parody of Gradius that's erotic has to be the most unbelivable experience ever.

I don't think Salamander is the same as Gradius... pretty sure it was a shitty clone of it that Konami made to bum money off of stupid Japanese kids who thought Salamanders were cool animals.

Here are the games on each one -

Salamander Collection:

Salamander
Life Force
Salamander 2
Xevex (one shot arcade game created by the team who made Gradius 2)

Twinbee Collection:

Twinbee
Detana Twinbee
Twinbee Yaaho
Pop'n Twinbee
Wiki says there is an announced, unknown bonus 5th game

Parodius Collection:

Parodius Da
Gokujou Parodius
Sexy Parodius
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius.
Wiki says there is an announced, unknown 5th bonus game

Twinbee - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinbee

Parodius - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parodius_(series)

[quote name='JEKKI']are you serious?!?!

(isnt salamander the same as gradius btw??)[/quote]

Yeah, this was reported earlier in this very thread, btw. Konami is releasing a bunch of collections a la Capcom for the Japan market. Good thing PSP games are region-free, though.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, this was reported earlier in this very thread. Konami is releasing a bunch of collections a la Capcom for the Japan market. Good thing PSP games are region-free, though.[/QUOTE]

Yep, IIRC these things are kind of pricey on the Saturn and I'd rather get them for the PSP and have them portable, as well.

Not a bad deal for $40 a piece considering the amount of games you get.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yep, IIRC these things are kind of pricey on the Saturn and I'd rather get them for the PSP and have them portable, as well.

Not a bad deal for $40 a piece considering the amount of games you get.[/QUOTE]

Still a bit much for me, unfortunately. I can't really blind buy any of these so I'm going to need an overwhelmingly good recommendation before I can drop $40 on one of these compilations.

[quote name='Chacrana']Still a bit much for me, unfortunately. I can't really blind buy any of these so I'm going to need an overwhelmingly good recommendation before I can drop $40 on one of these compilations.[/quote]

After some gut wrenching (well, maybe not that bad) soul-searching, I gave up my PSP so I could get a 360. Even with the knowledge of the collections, I couldn't justify it either.

Now if these came out for DS...whoa nelly!!!!

[quote name='Chacrana']Still a bit much for me, unfortunately. I can't really blind buy any of these so I'm going to need an overwhelmingly good recommendation before I can drop $40 on one of these compilations.[/QUOTE]

Go grab a Life Force rom for the NES, that's pretty much Salamander, just with some slight changes and a different name.

It's been a long time since I played the other two series (Parodius and Twinbee) but I remember them being very good as well.

I can't really beat $40 for 5 top notch shmups no matter which version I get.

Like I said, it sure beats paying import Saturn prices, espically for Salamander.

[quote name='gunm']After some gut wrenching (well, maybe not that bad) soul-searching, I gave up my PSP so I could get a 360. Even with the knowledge of the collections, I couldn't justify it either.

Now if these came out for DS...whoa nelly!!!![/QUOTE]

I can't blame ya... if you wanna play new games, the 360 is clearly a better option than the PSP. I just wish that someone would hurry up with a goddamn method for playing imports on a US system. I want to buy Senko no Rondo, but apparently, MS does not want me to buy it from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back