GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Apossum']I seem to remember playing Stinger a lot for the NES. it's a weird konami shooter.

stinger2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have Stinger. I loved that game.

[quote name='Dazz']Einhander and Raiden Project are my favs.[/QUOTE]

I just got raident project and I never played part 2 before, I must say that game rocks and it makes it that much better with the remixed music. Also I just got axelay and it a good game, not the best snes shooter like some people say :).

Reading this thread make me want Einhander badly... I don't think I even have my demo anymore... :cry:

I tend to like the horizontal ones... Lighting Force for the Genesis was/is one of my favs (I have no idea if it has anything to do with Thunder Force, I am sadly uneducated in shooters.)

I don't know if this counts, but I also like Guardian Legend on the NES- it's half vertical-shooter, half dungeon-crawler, for lack of a better way to put it. And the opening level starts crazy-fast. :D

Here are the snes shumups with a score. (Got it from Shumup.com)

Bio Metal (9/10)
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie (7/10)
Parodius Da! (7/10)
Space Megaforce (6/10)
Axelay (6/10)
Earth Defense Force (5/10)
Gradius 3 (5/10)
Syvalion (5/10)
Dropzone (5/10)
Spriggan Powered (5/10)
Pop N Twinbee (5/10)
Flying Hero (5/10)
Super R-Type (4/10)
Imperium (4/10)
Thunder Spirits (4/10)
Cotton 100% (4/10)
Acrobat Mission (4/10)
Tekkaman Blade (3/10)
Blazeon (3/10)
Firepower 2000 (3/10)
UN Squadron (3/10)
Cosmo Gang (3/10)
Phalanx (3/10)
Fuzzy Shooting (3/10)
Raiden Trad (2/10)
Sonic Wings (2/10)
SD Gundam (2/10)
Caravan Shooting (2/10)
Darius Twin (2/10)
Super Nova (1/10)
Hunt for Red October (1/10)
D-Force (1/10)
Strike Gunner STG (1/10)
Galaxy Wars (1/10)

[quote name='ryosnk']Here are the snes shumups with a score. (Got it from Shumup.com)

Bio Metal (9/10)
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie (7/10)
Parodius Da! (7/10)
Space Megaforce (6/10)
Axelay (6/10)
Earth Defense Force (5/10)
Gradius 3 (5/10)
Syvalion (5/10)
Dropzone (5/10)
Spriggan Powered (5/10)
Pop N Twinbee (5/10)
Flying Hero (5/10)
Super R-Type (4/10)
Imperium (4/10)
Thunder Spirits (4/10)
Cotton 100% (4/10)
Acrobat Mission (4/10)
Tekkaman Blade (3/10)
Blazeon (3/10)
Firepower 2000 (3/10)
UN Squadron (3/10)
Cosmo Gang (3/10)
Phalanx (3/10)
Fuzzy Shooting (3/10)
Raiden Trad (2/10)
Sonic Wings (2/10)
SD Gundam (2/10)
Caravan Shooting (2/10)
Darius Twin (2/10)
Super Nova (1/10)
Hunt for Red October (1/10)
D-Force (1/10)
Strike Gunner STG (1/10)
Galaxy Wars (1/10)[/QUOTE]
UN Squadron gets a 3/10 and Radien Trad a 2/10. That's pretty harsh.

They don't have R-Type III on that list either.

[quote name='radjago']UN Squadron gets a 3/10 and Radien Trad a 2/10. That's pretty harsh.

They don't have R-Type III on that list either.[/QUOTE]

It sucks because some of those games are good and they gave them bad scores. Oh well, as long as I like them, thats what matters.

Wasnt their suppose to be a xbox shooter? I think I read it in the gameon magazine (the one eb was selling before, I think that the name)?

Alrighty, E3s over, the game industry is going to hell in a handbasket, back to the oldschool! ;-)

Just started Panzer Dragoon Orta--admittedly, not old school. I gave up on it last time I started, but now I see the light! I didn't realize how closely related to Rez it is(holding down the button to lock on and twitching out with the cursor.) The graphics in this game are amazing too. I really love the 3 morphs...kind of reminds me a *tiny* bit of Ikaruga, where you have to adapt to each moment.

HEY! this one isnt at shumups.com :( oh well..

[quote name='Apossum']Alrighty, E3s over, the game industry is going to hell in a handbasket, back to the oldschool! ;-)

Just started Panzer Dragoon Orta--admittedly, not old school. I gave up on it last time I started, but now I see the light! I didn't realize how closely related to Rez it is(holding down the button to lock on and twitching out with the cursor.) The graphics in this game are amazing too. I really love the 3 morphs...kind of reminds me a *tiny* bit of Ikaruga, where you have to adapt to each moment.

HEY! this one isnt at shumups.com :( oh well..[/QUOTE]

Am I one of the three MorPhs???;)

yes! yes you are! the full title of the game is Panzer Dragoon Orta featuring MorPhiend

[quote name='Apossum']yes! yes you are! the full title of the game is Panzer Dragoon Orta featuring MorPhiend[/QUOTE]

Wow, I need to get that version...:lol:

Nice av change, BTW. I almost spit my water out the first time I saw it.

[quote name='mrpotatohed']My all time favorite was Tyrian. It's an old DOS based game. There are so many different powerups its crazy. You can beat the game and get different ships. (I think there is a carrot one that shoots carrot grenades). I managed to find a place you can download it for free!

http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/Tyrian/525/[/QUOTE]

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love you. I played this game back when i was 7-9 with a neighbor girl on her computer. I have since moved away from there, but still have very fond memories of this sweet game, and have forever wanted to play it again, but I never searched for it, thanks for taking my nostalgia factor up to an 11.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just played the first stage. Pretty slick![/QUOTE]

Yeah the graphics are nice and the gameplay feels smooth.

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone remember playing bomber raid, fantasy zone, and after burner on the SMS?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to have some good times with Fantasy Zone on SMS. It's on the Sega Classics collection and not half-bad.

After burner I never got into. I have it on SMS and arcade via Shenmue II. But speaking of Shenmue, Space Harrier was amazing. I spent more time playing that in the shenmue arcades than anything else.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Yeah, I used to have some good times with Fantasy Zone on SMS. It's on the Sega Classics collection and not half-bad.

After burner I never got into. I have it on SMS and arcade via Shenmue II. But speaking of Shenmue, Space Harrier was amazing. I spent more time playing that in the shenmue arcades than anything else.[/QUOTE]

I might pick up the sega collection just for that game. Yeah I also spent more time on the arcade in shenmue then actually playing the game ;)

border down is a beautiful, side-scroller. I'd say the pace is a bit like r-type final. You have a great big, constant, laser-blast, type gun that you can use to counter the boss' weapon and this makes for a spectacular show. I can't afford importing and download it in a pack with ikaruga and three other games "jeffma's shooter pack"

it is a beautiful shooter though

[quote name='ryosnk']Chaos Field on GC to be released in US

http://cube.ign.com/articles/610/610956p1.html[/QUOTE]What a pleasant surprise! :D

You have two main forms of attack in Chaos Field: a sword and a standard cannon. Your standard cannon fires forward, with its power and shape changing depending on your choice of character. The sword is used to clear bullets directly in front of you and isn't actually used to attack enemies. The sword cancels out the cannon, so you can't clear bullets away while firing at enemy targets. Also, the sword can only clear out bullets of certain color -- it's useless against others.
Interesting. :whistle2:k

[quote name='ryosnk']Amazing Flash Game - Raiden X #1

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/246725[/QUOTE]

So I say to myself, "I need to go take a shower and face the day" this morning, "but I'll just check this thread quickly." An hour later I was still playing RaidenX. What a great game. Getting Nanostray really reminded me of how much I enjoy this genre. I think I prefer the vertical to the horizontal scrollers. Not sure why. I've got 1942 coming for my NES. Can't wait. :whistle2:D

daroga

[quote name='integralsmatic']has anyone played castle of shikigami? i dunno if my 7 bucks are worth it for that shoot em up.[/QUOTE]

I played it and for $7 its a great price for it. All the contents are their from the import version but the translation is the only thing that is weak. Get it as their aint that many shmups on the ps2.

I have played some Castle Shikigami 2. It's decent budget fun IMO.

I still go back to Galaga more than any shooter I have played.

Okay, since I got the Capcom Classics Collection I thought it would prudent to bump the shmup thread.

1942 and 1943 = sweet :)

There are more on the disc too..Legendary Wings... Gun.Smoke....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Okay, since I got the Capcom Classics Collection I thought it would prudent to bump the shmup thread.

1942 and 1943 = sweet :)

There are more on the disc too..Legendary Wings... Gun.Smoke....[/QUOTE]

I still havent picked up my Cap collection yet but Gunsmoke is one of the games that I cant wait to play!

[quote name='Puffa469']I still havent picked up my Cap collection yet but Gunsmoke is one of the games that I cant wait to play![/QUOTE]

It's pretty neat. Kind of reminds me of a scrolling version of Smash TV. Gonna play it some more tonight.

I just got a copy of Chaos Field on eBay. And I have to say its pretty fun, not the best, but fun. THey actually let you use a sword type weapon just like in RS.

Gradius Collection for PSP came out today, looking forward to that, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some PS2 import shmups, like ESP Galuda, some of the Saikyo collections, maybe ESP Galuda.

When it comes to shmups I've played and really enjoyed, I have a fondness for Psyvariar 2.

psyvariar's fun. got to play it on my xbox a bit before I got rid of it.

just got a cube yesterday and have been enjoying a long-overdue Ikaruga fix :)

edit: why was that other thread closed? it was about PS2 shumups and was in the right forum. the statute of limitations on this thread is way expired.

[quote name='Apossum']psyvariar's fun. got to play it on my xbox a bit before I got rid of it.

just got a cube yesterday and have been enjoying a long-overdue Ikaruga fix :)

edit: why was that other thread closed? it was about PS2 shumups and was in the right forum. the statute of limitations on this thread is way expired.[/QUOTE]

I told Trakan to close it, but I didn't realize this thread was in old school gaming, where it SHOULDN'T be because shmups are still being made to this day on the newer systems.

I asked in the old thread that this one be moved over to General Gaming where it will get alot more exposure.

[quote name='Roufuss']I told Trakan to close it, but I didn't realize this thread was in old school gaming, where it SHOULDN'T be because shmups are still being made to this day on the newer systems.

I asked in the old thread that this one be moved over to General Gaming where it will get alot more exposure.[/QUOTE]

Cool...speaking of which. Ibara rules...I wanna legit copy but it's too damn expensive >_< well...I'll show my support by getting Raiden 3 on launch.

I've been playing a lot of Perfect Cherry Blossom lately incase there are any other fans here. Actually, this game was one of the reasons I finally upgraded my computer. So far I've managed to get to the final boss but I always die before beating her. I'm holding off playing Imperishable Night until I get better at this game.

[quote name='cletus']I've been playing a lot of Perfect Cherry Blossom lately incase there are any other fans here. Actually, this game was one of the reasons I finally upgraded my computer. So far I've managed to get to the final boss but I always die before beating her. I'm holding off playing Imperishable Night until I get better at this game.[/QUOTE]

played through on "normal" though I'm not sure if I have the full version of the game since the site is in Japanese. I just used the "slow" button most of the time during the bosses.

I like the Twinkle Star Sprites knock off too-- very fun stuff! even better than TSS in some ways.

Did anyone pick up Under Defeat for the Dreamcast, by G-Rev?

I'm going to snag it as soon as some of my auctions start selling... they are notorious for not porting their games elsewhere, as is evident by Border Down probably being the only import shmup that is still exclusive to the DC (and commanding quite a high price).

The other shmups that came out at the end of the DC's life cycle (Chaos Field, Radilgy, Trizeal) weren't too hot apparently, but they are easily available on other systems cheaper (Chaos Field for sure).

I sold off most of my shmups for the DC that I could easily pick up on other systems, but kept these ones that are DC "exclusive":

Mars Matrix
Giga Wing 1 + 2
Twinkle Star Sprites (I know it's on Saturn, but I might as well keep it on DC for now)
Zero Gunner 2
Gunbird 2
Border Down

Anything I missed that was DC exclusive? I've got Ikaruga for the Cube, and Shikigami 2 for the PS2, and I'll go ahead and pick up Psyvariar 2 for the PS2... I think I've got everything the DC has to offer shmup wise once I snag Under Defeat.

i want to get copies of Dodonpachi Daioujou and Ibara for around $60 a piece...found Ibara for $57, but DD seems to be $70 and up...and there's always the chance of them getting into "The Best" budget collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back