Glad i have good taste in games(EA Next-gen Games: 70 lollers speculation)

It's a good marketing plan. A good bunch of people only own a PS2 and 2 or 3 games (one of those most likely being Madden), and this strategy takes advantage of them. They'll buy into it without thinking twice, and EA will laugh all the way to the bank.

[quote name='DenisDFat']http://www.happypuppy.com/editorial.php?action=news&news_id=1081

Note to sega: survival horror sucks and $60 is too much for your crappy stuff.[/quote]

Wow...for once I agree with you. Well, if you take out the "Note to sega: survival horror sucks" and "your crappy stuff". Aside from those omissions, though, we think alike.

wow, that is a lot for a game...they better make single player games last a lot longer, as $60 to $70 buck for a 10 hour game won't cut it for me

[quote name='ryanbph']wow, that is a lot for a game...they better make single player games last a lot longer, as $60 to $70 buck for a 10 hour game won't cut it for me[/quote]

It's like paying the game minimum wage.

Non arcade style sports games aren't fun, if you only play ESPN 2K5 you aren't a gamer and if you only play Madden you are actually ANTI-gamer.

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='ryanbph']wow, that is a lot for a game...they better make single player games last a lot longer, as $60 to $70 buck for a 10 hour game won't cut it for me[/quote]

Non arcade style sports games aren't fun, if you only play ESPN 2K5 you aren't a gamer and if you only play Madden you are actually ANTI-gamer.[/quote]

WTF are you talking about? Sim sports games are lots of fun, you just have to know how to play authentically. There wouldn't be the amount of sim sports games selling if that was true.

I can't believe you guys are worried about this. How amny times have you spent fiull price on a game in the last year. If the answer is "More than 3 times" find a new site.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='smalien1'][quote name='ryanbph']wow, that is a lot for a game...they better make single player games last a lot longer, as $60 to $70 buck for a 10 hour game won't cut it for me[/quote]

Non arcade style sports games aren't fun, if you only play ESPN 2K5 you aren't a gamer and if you only play Madden you are actually ANTI-gamer.[/quote]

WTF are you talking about? Sim sports games are lots of fun, you just have to know how to play authentically. There wouldn't be the amount of sim sports games selling if that was true.[/quote]

I wasn't stating it as fact, I don't have fun playing them, I said they aren'f fun which obisouly means I don't find them fun.

[quote name='DenisDFat']sim sports games do suck and are the bane of the industry. They're ruining video games and fast.[/quote]

OK, I changed my mind, I like sim sports games, I refuse to agree with DDF.

[quote name='DenisDFat']sim sports games do suck and are the bane of the industry. They're ruining video games and fast.[/quote]

No, they're not. If you really believe that one genre is the cause for what's wrong in the industry, then you really are dumb. The industry hasn't caught up with how fast it's grown the past few years.

I don't think this will happen, at least on a permanent basis. Look at how many games now come out at $49.99 and are down to $29.99 or $19.99 in a few months because people don't want to spend $49.99 on a game unless it's a big name game. No one is buying Sega's games at full price even though they have released some quality games this generation. I don't think Sega would sell many copies of any game at $59.99.

A higher MSRP on gams will probably just mean faster price drops.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='DenisDFat']sim sports games do suck and are the bane of the industry. They're ruining video games and fast.[/quote]

No, they're not. If you really believe that one genre is the cause for what's wrong in the industry, then you really are dumb. The industry hasn't caught up with how fast it's grown the past few years.[/quote]

Don't bother. When this guys claims his extremely narrow range of game interests signifies good taste, it's just an invitation to a sequel of the 'Argument Clinic' sketch.

EA's new strategy: buy our sports games for $70 on other systems, $40 on our system (!).

The industry would tank if most games started costing $70 or $60. Consumers are used to the $50 price point, and even feel that this is too much for most games. EA, who is already ripping customers off left and right with "look, we changed the rosters, new game for $50!" seems the dumbest. Either that or they are crazy like a fox because people are even stupider and willing to pay $20 more to buy Madden 200X every year.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='DenisDFat']sim sports games do suck and are the bane of the industry. They're ruining video games and fast.[/quote]

No, they're not. If you really believe that one genre is the cause for what's wrong in the industry, then you really are dumb. The industry hasn't caught up with how fast it's grown the past few years.[/quote]

Don't bother. When this guys claims his extremely narrow range of game interests signifies good taste, it's just an invitation to a sequel of the 'Argument Clinic' sketch.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought I'd give it a try.

I think this is wonderful! The extra revenues will stir creativity and help eliminate bugs! Games will increase in quality exponentially!

This is fantastic!

I haven't spent retail on a game in about 2 years. But with Doom 3, Chaos Theory and Unreal Championship 2 coming out I guess I have to find another place to post. :)

As for EA... No one's posted the obligatory "EA is just doing business" yet. To them I say, enjoy your $70 next gen POS. I doubt price drops are going to come quickly, if at all, at least for the NFL game because EA has no competition.

The EA stuff is speculation at this point, but I would not be surprised if it turns out to be true. And this is funny cause I was saying this a while ago while people were flaming me for saying that EA games would rise to $80. Where are these people now?

Also I'd like to thank all of the usless cutscenes and flashy graphics that mask poor games for this price hike.

Nobody should buy into this. Nothing will change sega/EA's mind about raising the prices of games other than for their sales to tank. I mean NOTHING. All the complaining and hate mail and bad publicity in the world won't matter if it still sells. And guess what 90% of the other publishers are going to think, if their price increase is successful? Hey, we should do that too! It's important that if you don't like the price raise, don't buy it. There's no way there's a shortage of other games of PROVEN QUALITY that are cheaper. I could play my XBox and GC for another 4 years if they're going to try to pull this BS.

Except, I'll need the next halo. No exceptions there.

I remember there were some Genesis and SNES games that were about $70 at release (Shining games, Chrono Trigger). I don't think their prices dropped for a while, if at all, and they sold pretty well, and are among the most sought after games of their era. However, "mainstream" titles like sports games that get a refresh every year IMO will be a tougher sell at this price point.

I would not be surprised at these prices and, seeing the trends lately, expect plenty of "LE"s or "SE"s to draw more people to paying these prices.

I think I'll hold onto my Cube and PS2 a little longer.

[quote name='CapAmerica']shaq-fu that, I rarely spend $40 on a game.
Nothing EA puts out is worth $70.[/quote]

obviously you didnt play catwoman

the discounted amount will be more than us cheapasses are accustomed to paying. a $70 game discounted will be more than the $50 game discounted.

im not worried, i have a backlog in triple digits, i can wait.

The reason I pay more then $50 for a game is if its a game I really want and it includes bonus stuff. There is no way I would spend $70 on next gen EA games.
Has anyone else noticed that almost every time we hear that the price on next gen games might increase its almost always about EA games? I wouldn't be surprised if we see most next gen games at $50, with EA games having higher prices because of all the money they spend on getting exclusive contracts.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='DenisDFat']sim sports games do suck and are the bane of the industry. They're ruining video games and fast.[/quote]

Don't bother. When this guys claims his extremely narrow range of game interests signifies good taste, it's just an invitation to a sequel of the 'Argument Clinic' sketch.[/quote]

Hooray! I'm a "facility, often associated with a hospital or medical school, that is devoted to the diagnosis and care of outpatients."

Sounds like fun! Highly skilled doctors and scientists will come to do some breakthrough research on the medical causes that contribute to the lack of understanding of the English language, it's spreading around like wildfire!

Edit: But seriously, what's your problem? Did it offend you in some way that I felt "IMO" was superfluous? Is it some great sacrilege to speak up in a place of public discussion about people starting flame-bait threads and getting defensive because they seem to be under the impression that "IMO" makes it okay for them to do so?

Everyone gets s excited over speculation. I'm not surprised that EA is doing this because they think that if they (the largest 3rd party) say their games are $70 other companies will back them up. If the consumer doesnt buy the games then the prices will go down. Games have been around $50 for many years and there will always be some companies (Nintendo, and probly Take Two will continue to release their games at a discounted price through the next gen) that will meet the demands of the consumer.

Weren't PS2 games originally supposed to be more than $50?

It wan't as serious as this, but it does bring up the point that game prices can and will fall

umm... oh yeah... ea sucks

[quote name='tdphillips']I remember there were some Genesis and SNES games that were about $70 at release (Shining games, Chrono Trigger). I don't think their prices dropped for a while, if at all, and they sold pretty well, and are among the most sought after games of their era. However, "mainstream" titles like sports games that get a refresh every year IMO will be a tougher sell at this price point.

I would not be surprised at these prices and, seeing the trends lately, expect plenty of "LE"s or "SE"s to draw more people to paying these prices.

I think I'll hold onto my Cube and PS2 a little longer.[/quote]

That was an entirely different era.
People weren't used to seeing new games at 20 dollars unless the game was quite old and hitting clearence. Now, you see games not only see popular, viable games that could still sell at full price hit this price point, but you see new games retail at this price point as well.

Considering the tiered market that gamemakers have helped to establish, selling a game without a notable benefit for 20-30 dollars more is going to go over like a lead balloon. Sure, you'll get the die hard joe six-packs that love them some madden to slap down the cash for the next iteration of a sports game, but you'll be cutting out the soccer moms really quick.

The console and game makers have created this market... they go against it at thier own peril. Considering that some parents/kids/gamers will remember having paid much less for last year's games, its going to be a much harder sell.

[quote name='JSweeney']The console and game makers have created this market... they go against it at thier own peril. Considering that some parents/kids/gamers will remember having paid much less for last year's games, its going to be a much harder sell.[/quote]

Exactly. And remember, this is EA we're talking about. The new game will be last year's game with new rosters and upgraded graphics, maybe one overhyped worthless feature. I know millions evidently fall for this BS year after year, but I have to think even a portion the idiots who do might realize that they are getting completely ripped off when the price is $20 higher.

[quote name='JSweeney']
That was an entirely different era.
People weren't used to seeing new games at 20 dollars unless the game was quite old and hitting clearence. Now, you see games not only see popular, viable games that could still sell at full price hit this price point, but you see new games retail at this price point as well.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree it was a different era, and you didn't see $20 games. But I do think there will be quite a few people that pay $70 for games, especially near launch. Enough to keep the price there for long? I guess time will tell. People paid $300 for an Xbox or a PS2, and $250 for a PSP. While those are one time costs for a consumer, I don't know how much a $70 game will deter soccer moms. There's plenty in the country that'll do anything to shut a kid up in Wally World. I seriously hope it doesn't pan out, and that people don't buy it at that price, but we'll see. I think good quality can be made for $20, but you really have to sell quite a few copies to make it worthwhile.

The only games that will get more then $50 out of me are Mario and Zelda games. Nothing else gets more. VERY rarley do I buy a game at $50 (the last one being RE4, before that Zelda Four Swords). Screw EA.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Screw EA. The last game I got from them (LotrR: TT for PS2) was a gift. While it was fun, I won't buy the RotK because it's EA.

"Sega representatives stated that the company's games for the next generation of consoles would enter the market with a suggested retail price of $59.99 and speculated that launch titles from EA Sports would retail for as much as $69.99.

It is understandable why Sega would mention EA Sports as Electronic Arts has signed an exclusive deal with the NFL taking the NFL license away from Take-Two and Sega."

Regardless of what people think of EA, why would anyone give credit to a statement about EA from a company that just got knocked out of the sports game by them? It would be safe to say their objectivity is compromised. That being said, I don't see huge sales for EA at $69.99. Too many people are used to cheaper prices now. It won't effect me because I never buy next-gen systems at launch anyway.

[quote name='tdphillips']Oh yeah, I forgot. Screw EA. The last game I got from them (LotrR: TT for PS2) was a gift. While it was fun, I won't buy the RotK because it's EA.[/quote]

Gotta admit, i really admire you, but now that ROTK is cheap, are you really supporting EA by buying it?

Doesn't anyone find it odd that Sega would be showing XBox 2 games at SONY'S Destination PLAYSTATION event?
And where the hell was EA during this "event"?
Things that make you go hmmmm.....

bread's done
Back