god hand $17.95 @ amazon (through OD)

Thanks OP. I still dont understand why capcom shut down the team behind this game, such awesome game with unmatched humor

Godhand isn't as good as the games it tries to be... DMC, Viewtiful Joe, mixed with old-school brawling, however with a great deal of its own uniqueness, but it definitely deserves to be played. I am tempted to call it overrated, but that implies that it is not worth your time (And it is), and it also implies that this game gets a lot more romanticising love than it has gotten (It has gotten a lot, but not enough to call it overrated.).

Still, this is a great deal. Better if the BB deal holds up.

[quote name='davegargamel']Just to let you guys know, Best Buy has this game for $20.[/quote]
thanks for the tip...i dont have a blockbuster that has this game so the next best thing is to buy it i guess lol

EDIT: hmm, godhand isn't on BB's website...so can someone confirm that it is indeed 20 bucks before i make the trip there?

[quote name='swetooth9']thanks for the tip...i dont have a blockbuster that has this game so the next best thing is to buy it i guess lol

EDIT: hmm, godhand isn't on BB's website...so can someone confirm that it is indeed 20 bucks before i make the trip there?[/quote]

I don't know about the price, but it was definitely at my BB the other day, so they do have it.

God Hand is a heaping platter of awesome. They shut down Clover because all their games tanked sales wise. Even the VJoe games didn't sell that well. At Christmas I went to Toys r Us and virtually every game was sold out except for Okami. Sad. My fellow Americans have horrible taste in games.

Viva la God Hand!

[quote name='swetooth9']thanks for the tip...i dont have a blockbuster that has this game so the next best thing is to buy it i guess lol

EDIT: hmm, godhand isn't on BB's website...so can someone confirm that it is indeed 20 bucks before i make the trip there?[/QUOTE]
Yep, God Hand is indeed $20 at the Best Buy that I went to yesterday, 1/22 (Brooklyn Center, MN). Picked on up for $15 after GGC.

EDIT: hmm, godhand isn't on BB's website...so can someone confirm that it is indeed 20 bucks before i make the trip there?[/quote]
A game not being visible on BB's website, though still available in-store is a notorious sign that it's dropped to $19.99. Or less.

I'd recommend renting first.

I bought God Hand through Amazon when it was on sale, and ended up not liking it. Gets really hard/frustrating fast.

It's a neat/weird atmosphere, parts of it are really fun, but I regret buying it at $20 (and I'm a big fan of scrolling fighters).

If you're REALLY good at it it would be fun.

this game sounds interesting, i like the developer but i'm hearing mixed reviews on it.... ign calls it a button masher and gives it a 3.0 and i guess thats the only thing thats stopping me from looking into this title... but if people are enjoying it, then there has to be some good aspects about this game... right?

[quote name='ryanlk']this game sounds interesting, i like the developer but i'm hearing mixed reviews on it.... ign calls it a button masher and gives it a 3.0 and i guess thats the only thing thats stopping me from looking into this title... but if people are enjoying it, then there has to be some good aspects about this game... right?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely there are good things about it, but it's WAY too hard IMO. I'd think of it as a good, maybe great game that's broken, rather than a mediocre game.

Gamespot was the only one to give it a good review, but...which is probably a good reason to use more than one reviewer if possible. Greg's probably really great at it or something.

[quote name='Wolfpup']but it's WAY too hard IMO[/quote] Man the fuck up.

This is my personal Game of the Year 2006. It is absolutely brilliant. A perfect revisioning of the brawler genre that every developer has done screwed up until this game arrived!

The Chihuahua races alone have evolved into a party game in my circle

The Collective's Buffy is fantastic, so no, not every developer has screwed it up.

I think God Hand has a great vibe to it, but IMO it has flaws (and most reviewers think so). Which is why I think it's best to rent first. And again, I'm a fan of the genre, so I'd stress that even more for people who aren't.

Most reviewers are idiots. You know this, I know this, everyone knows this. Yet some people think they are still a "credible" source. It's all promotion, nobody gets a bad review if they pay their "dues". See: Madden always getting high scores even with all the its yearly complaints and staleness.

Anyway...

God Hand is just plain great: I thought the whole "chaining" thing was a bit of a nuisance (at first) but after a while, you start to see the subtlety of all the different possible combinations; not just stringing random moves together to dish out different amounts of damage but to take advantage of all the (rather specific) properties of every single move. The enemies constantly change as well, and I have yet to consider the game repetitive at all. Every stage, there is some new breed of enemy that requires a different strategy to beat. The bosses likewise, stay unique and insanely difficult. Finally, in pure capcom goodness, all the references (giant enemy crane) are just plain delightful.

References aside, the humor in the game is great and I find it more tasteful the the crap they put on TV. I read... a long time ago how there are very few games that are of the "comedy" genre simply because comedy and games don't fit. God Hand succeeds in throwing subtle and not so subtle jokes all over the place. Not often a game can make me laugh..... out loud while I'm playing alone.

Thanks OP! I picked this up along with Asphalt GT 2 (DS), which OD sells on Amazon for $18.95 (about $10 less MSRP). So I got both shipped for $41 and change. That's like getting them for $20 each in-store (if you include tax), so I'm happy with that.

[quote name='Pijaibros']Man the fuck up.

This is my personal Game of the Year 2006. It is absolutely brilliant. A perfect revisioning of the brawler genre that every developer has done screwed up until this game arrived!

The Chihuahua races alone have evolved into a party game in my circle[/quote]
Yo you man up! this game is hard as hell. Capcom is notorious for making games hard as hell. I am at the final boss. Damn! I'played it for 2 hours straight and could not beat that MF! This is on Normal Mode! Great game though. It has cult-classic written all over it. Collectors need to snatch this one up! I can see it being worth a nice chunk of change in the future, because it will never be a Greatest Hits.

The Collective's Buffy and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb were both outstanding brawlers. Rockstar's The Warriors also was a home run. Treyarch's Minority Report had some good stuff going for it, and Majesco's Aeon Flux is much better than it had any right being (it is more platformer though, but the brawling is there.).

God Hand really isn't a brawler. The combat is much more VJ-style with a splash of DMC. Furthermore, the game offers you absolutely no way of dealing with large groups of enemies apart from special attacks, of which you have a small supply. If you level the difficulty up to where more than two enemies will attack you at once, you don't have a hope in hell, and unlike Viewtiful Joe, where every attack the enemies had had a means of dodging it, there is simply no way AT ALL in the game for you to handle a swarm of enemies.

[quote name='ricoraney']Yo you man up! this game is hard as hell. Capcom is notorious for making games hard as hell. I am at the final boss. Damn! I'played it for 2 hours straight and could not beat that MF! This is on Normal Mode![/quote]

THe Double Shaolin was my main weapon in trying to tackle that guy. I can't imagine how long it would take to just beat him using normal attacks.

[quote name='RollingSkull']God Hand really isn't a brawler[/quote]

How is it not a brawler? When you first boot up the game you get no cutscenes, or japanese choreography. It's just some rock and 3 options on a title screen.

Did any of the old brawlers fill you in on anything before hitting start? No! You go right into the thick of it.

You are given one generic guy after the next, and have a couple of buttons to beat the shit out of them. After beating up the same guys for 5 minutes, a recolored-and-much-larger version of them will come out. The plot is that there are some guys over there that look kinda bad, so go beat them up.

This is a total 80's arcade game only brought up to current standards, but knowing just how ridiculous the genre really is. This made it the freshest title I've ever played this generation

I enjoyed what I played, but the camera just pissed me off to the point I ended up selling the game. It was fun while I could stand it though.

[quote name='Pijaibros']
How is it not a brawler?
[/quote]

Brawlers value offense and crowd management. God Hand rewards VJ/DMC style dodging and counter-attacking and offers you NO means of fighting more than one dude at a time. Doesn't mean they don't inflate the difficulty by throwing armies at you close to the end game.

[quote name='RollingSkull']God Hand really isn't a brawler. The combat is much more VJ-style with a splash of DMC. Furthermore, the game offers you absolutely no way of dealing with large groups of enemies apart from special attacks, of which you have a small supply. If you level the difficulty up to where more than two enemies will attack you at once, you don't have a hope in hell, and unlike Viewtiful Joe, where every attack the enemies had had a means of dodging it, there is simply no way AT ALL in the game for you to handle a swarm of enemies.[/quote]
1. Push down on the right stick a few times.
2. When enemies close in, use launcher attack.
3. Repeat. It's not hard at all.

There are a number of other ways of dealing with crowds, but this is the easiest. God Hand is the sort of game that asks the player to take the time to learn how to play it. It's not immediately accessable, but for some that's half the fun of it. Learning the nuances. To dodge, to break guard, to cancel moves, etc.

[quote name='AaronChance']1. Push down on the right stick a few times.
2. When enemies close in, use launcher attack.
3. Repeat. It's not hard at all.

There are a number of other ways of dealing with crowds, but this is the easiest. God Hand is the sort of game that asks the player to take the time to learn how to play it. It's not immediately accessable, but for some that's half the fun of it. Learning the nuances. To dodge, to break guard, to cancel moves, etc.[/quote]
Please, I've beaten DMC and VJ, games much better at demanding you learn the nuances.

But, yeah, if it is your idea of fun to repeatedly launch large groups of enemies for next to no damage over and over ad infinitum until you whittle down their gargantuan lifebars, have fun. I'll be playing a game with challenge that was actually thought out.

The one-on-one combat is all there though, and quite nice.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Please, I've beaten DMC and VJ, games much better at demanding you learn the nuances.[/quote]
So have I. Calling VJ nuanced is really stretching things.

But, yeah, if it is your idea of fun to repeatedly launch large groups of enemies for next to no damage over and over ad infinitum until you whittle down their gargantuan lifebars, have fun. I'll be playing a game with challenge that was actually thought out.
Huh? Launchers kill normal enemies in 2-3 hits on DIE. I can't think of any enemy who doesn't bite it in under 20 seconds, including demons. Naturally faster with the godhand. The only enemies in the entire game with significant lifebars are bosses, where you could have a point, but mixing up the right godhand powers takes them down fairly quickly. Don't write off God Hand because it doesn't ascribe to your preconcieved notions of 'challenging.'

[quote name='Pijaibros']Most reviewers are idiots. You know this, I know this, everyone knows this. Yet some people think they are still a "credible" source. It's all promotion, nobody gets a bad review if they pay their "dues". See: Madden always getting high scores even with all the its yearly complaints and staleness.[/quote]

No I do not know that. That's certainly not some universally accepted truth, and even if some magazines are on the take, they all aren't.

I mentioned the reviews because I think God Hand is something you need to rent first. It has a lot going for it, but it also has serious flaws, and it's not something everything-probably even most people-are going to like. In my case it's mostly because of the difficulty.

[quote name='AaronChance']So have I. Calling VJ nuanced is really stretching things.[/quote]

If you cannot call VJ nuanced, you cannot call God Hand nuanced.

[quote name='AaronChance'] Huh? Launchers kill normal enemies in 2-3 hits on DIE. I can't think of any enemy who doesn't bite it in under 20 seconds, including demons. Naturally faster with the godhand. The only enemies in the entire game with significant lifebars are bosses, where you could have a point, but mixing up the right godhand powers takes them down fairly quickly. Don't write off God Hand because it doesn't ascribe to your preconcieved notions of 'challenging.'[/quote]

The bosses aren't a problem at all as they're one-on-one affairs (Except for the midgets, which were just a pain), where the game packs the proper punch, as it were. I'm only griping because the game offers you no means of tackling crowds.

The problem is that the game stops throwing "normal" enemies at you about halfway through. You simply do not see grunts that take under, hell, 2 or so full combos to take down (Counting guard breaks and the occasional pummel), much less launchers. I don't know many launchers that do 100 damage, so I'm not entirely sure where you're getting 2-3 hits of anything providing you good results unless you're still in world 1, even assuming that you pull off the launchers without them getting blocked/you getting knocked outta them.

Take the "preconceived" crap elsewhere, I beat the game and enjoyed it where it delivered. Took down nearly all of those ridiculous arena battles, too.

[quote name='ricoraney']Yo you man up! this game is hard as hell. Capcom is notorious for making games hard as hell. I am at the final boss. Damn! I'played it for 2 hours straight and could not beat that MF! This is on Normal Mode! Great game though. It has cult-classic written all over it. Collectors need to snatch this one up! I can see it being worth a nice chunk of change in the future, because it will never be a Greatest Hits.[/quote]

I just beat the Final boss last night after about 2 tries. He's actually not bad if you just pay attention to the startup of his moves. I'll spoiler the following:

Use right analog up to duck his eye beams (he telegraphs it by glowing his eyes). When he shoots that ground ripping earthquake thing, keep sidestepping till it passes you. When he summons those energy waves, you can simply time a backflip or sidestep to dodge them right before they hit you.

Up close, you usually have a few seconds to land some hits on his face before he counter attacks. Hit his head a couple times, then prepare for his counter attack. Usually a backflip will suffice. you can weave his booger flick move, I think.

If you hear him go "This becomes you" prepare to press O to counter attack. The timing of this is very forgiving, thankfully.

when he jumps to another location, immediately check your radar to see his new location.

I guess I should've picked it up at CC when they were having that 20% off sale - it would've been $16. God I'm too cheap sometimes.

[quote name='jngx80']I guess I should've picked it up at CC when they were having that 20% off sale - it would've been $16. God I'm too cheap sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I'll say it again: Rent First. I love scrolling fighters, hated God Hand. Way too hard IMO.

bread's done
Back