God I need a new rts

haloman21

CAGiversary!
I need a new damn rts. I'm getting so bored of Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. Suggest me a new rts

Agreed on Red Alert 3 if you are looking for "new". I'm a huge RA fan, but haven't gotten a chance to install it yet ;)

Dawn of War 2 is on its way soon, too, right?

Otherwise World In Conflict, Company of Heroes (new expansion coming soonish) are the two heavy hitters right now. (right?)

Red alert 3 and Starcraft don't seem like something i would like. I want something with BIG battles. Red alert 3 seems more small scale and so does starcraft. Im kind looking for something futuristic or medieval. Already got aoe 3. Any suggestions with those things in mind?

Played the Total War series? Still the best for big battles with a focus on tactics, battlefield maneuvering, etc.

If you preorder Empire Total War through Steam, you'll get Rome Total War Gold Edition as a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for Company of Heroes- I love that game. It certainly plays differently than most RTS games but it has a lot of tactical depth. Also, the campaign is pretty good if you are into single player at all.

My two favorites are Starcraft and Age of Mythology. You might want to look into Rise of Nations or Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends (a completely different game).

DO NOT GET Red Alert 3! The online is broken to hell... whenever i try to play with a friend, it kicks them off of the online mode, no matter who hosts it or in what order we join. It takes forever to find a game to join that actually starts...

How is Rise of Legends compared to the original Rise of Nations? Lots of hype, but no one really talks about it (compared to RoN, which is rightly mentioned as one of the RTS greats)

[quote name='Serik']How is Rise of Legends compared to the original Rise of Nations? Lots of hype, but no one really talks about it (compared to RoN, which is rightly mentioned as one of the RTS greats)[/quote]

I would not compare the two games as they are completely different, except for name.

I enjoyed both, but for different reasons. The factions in RoN are all pretty much the same apart from the special race units, so the game is good on purely excellent game play. RoL has a mere three races but they all function differently, not as much as say UaW but still pretty different. The gameplay is good but not as good as in RoN, but it makes up for it in style. I really like two of the races in RoL, the Vinci and Cuatal(spelling?), the last race the magic guys always felt boring to me, but that is a personal perference.

Honestly, I would not try and compare the games. Where RoN focuses on armies RoL focuses on unit groups. So some of the scale is lost. In RoL you also have hero units which are pretty well implemented and can easily decide the course of a battle, but they are balanced well enough so that they do not over power everything all the time.

OP, try Red Alert 3, honestly, I think you would like it. If you bought AoE3 and tolerated it then you would like most if not all of the games recommended including RA3. I think that AoE3 is one of the worst big name RTS titles of the past few years.

Also check out Universe at War, it has a couple issues but the different races keep it from being boring.

[quote name='Photomotoz']I would not compare the two games as they are completely different, except for name.

I enjoyed both, but for different reasons. The factions in RoN are all pretty much the same apart from the special race units, so the game is good on purely excellent game play. RoL has a mere three races but they all function differently, not as much as say UaW but still pretty different. The gameplay is good but not as good as in RoN, but it makes up for it in style. I really like two of the races in RoL, the Vinci and Cuatal(spelling?), the last race the magic guys always felt boring to me, but that is a personal perference.

Honestly, I would not try and compare the games. Where RoN focuses on armies RoL focuses on unit groups. So some of the scale is lost. In RoL you also have hero units which are pretty well implemented and can easily decide the course of a battle, but they are balanced well enough so that they do not over power everything all the time.

OP, try Red Alert 3, honestly, I think you would like it. If you bought AoE3 and tolerated it then you would like most if not all of the games recommended including RA3. I think that AoE3 is one of the worst big name RTS titles of the past few years.

Also check out Universe at War, it has a couple issues but the different races keep it from being boring.[/quote]

I'd compare RoN with AOE2
and RoL with AoMyth

as for big battles, you won't find them anywhere but either the Age series, or SupCom.

Have you got the original SupCom? I know, more of the same, but at least it's a different single player experience, and you could find one dirt cheap >10.

I wouldn't go for Starcraft, or RA3... or even Company of heroes, too smallsy.

Universe at war could be a good one... not the best, have it but yet played it.

could go back and play the diamond gem of RTS, and grandfather of SupCom; Total Annihilation.

RTS games have been a slow decline as of late... sucks.

Stronghold is amazingly fun and you can make tons of units. Stronghold crusader just came out and they upped the amount of units on that one, but I heard it was incredibly hard. Check out youtube for some vids of it.

My votes are for stronghold, stronghold crusader (stronghold crusader extreme if you are an RTS master), or dawn of war. All pretty cheap now and still better than most of the recent ones.

For big battles, Sins of a Solar Empire is also a good choice. Granted, its a bit of a combo of RTS and 4X, but its still pretty good.

Plus, Entrenchment microexpansion coming out in about a month.

Where is the Warcraft 3 TFT love? One of the best competitive RTS's out today

Starcraft does have huge battles and lots of tournaments ranging from novice to KOREAN UBER GOSU skill

but heh I'm more competitive not sure about yourself
Empire Earth wasn't so bad but it's a loooot of macro :p

bread's done
Back