God of War 2 for $15.99!!! (not Greatest Hits)

illini1010

CAGiversary!
Alright, if you have seen the posts on the offical price drop thread you will know what i am about to say... if not read on.

I consider this a deal and belongs here because its 20 bucks off of a 40 dollar game. Yes the greatest hits version will be out proly next week, but this way you can get a black label copy and get it a week early.

This deal is at Gamestop (or you can price match at other stores). Go to the counter and grab one of the free booklets they have, it is called "The Guide". It has a picture of the main charactor from GTAIV on the cover.

Turn to page 44, and look at the bottom of the page. It says God of War 2 is the newest greatest hit and of course is priced at $19.99. Show the person at the counter at they will have to honor that price, even for a black label copy! On the back of "The Guide" it says all prices are valid til april 6 so you will have to do this either Saturday or Sunday. On top of it all, if you use the 10 percent off coupon, it will take an additional 4 bucks off because it takes the 10 percent off of the original $39.99 price. so your actually getting it for $15.99!

here are the scans...

Front Cover of "The Guide"
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0002-20080405005149.jpg/view/

Back Cover of "The Guide" (the small print on the bottom is where it says April 6)
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0003-20080405005207.jpg/view/

Page 44 showing the GoW2 as a Greatest Hits title.
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0004-20080405005914.jpg/view/

Recipt of the purchase showing the $20 and $4 discount.
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0005-20080405005933.jpg/view/

On a side note; the ad also said ratchet and clank for the psp is confirmed as a greatest hits title, and it was good to see the dualshock 3 on store shelves finally... it just wasnt the same without them.

[quote name='Shadows916']no go at mine in newington ct- rang up full price even when mentioning the giude and gh status[/quote]

yes it will ring up as $40, but the manager should see the ad and honner the price so they will take off 20 bucks.

[quote name='illini1010']yes it will ring up as $40, but the manager should see the ad and honner the price so they will take off 20 bucks.[/QUOTE]

the manager refused to adjust the price,(tried palying stupid over the add, then claimed he didn't have any on the adds in the store that would show this) said i had to wait for the gh version to come out before letting the original case go for 20 or i could apy the full price (left w/o buying it). just means i won't be stopping there on my lunch breaks anymore-i'll go someplace else

I'd try this, but...I assume this means that the GH GoWII will be out sometime in the near future, so I can wait until then. I don't need a bigger backlog.

[quote name='Shadows916']the manager refused to adjust the price,(tried palying stupid over the add, then claimed he didn't have any on the adds in the store that would show this) said i had to wait for the gh version to come out before letting the original case go for 20 or i could apy the full price (left w/o buying it). just means i won't be stopping there on my lunch breaks anymore-i'll go someplace else[/quote]

yup just sounds like a jerk, i wouldnt go there either.

hey everyone, im new here.. I went to ebgames and picked up the ad and went to sears for a price match. After a quick managers approval i got the GoW2(non gh) for 17.99 (110% pm). Sears had about 6 left. Seems like gamestop is not honoring this deal so pick up "the guide" and price match somewhere else. (I didnt even try to pm at gamestop)

[quote name='cheapskate01']hey everyone, im new here.. I went to ebgames and picked up the ad and went to sears for a price match. After a quick managers approval i got the GoW2(non gh) for 17.99 (110% pm). Sears had about 6 left. Seems like gamestop is not honoring this deal so pick up "the guide" and price match somewhere else. (I didnt even try to pm at gamestop)[/quote]

first of all, welcome. second of all, y would gamestop have to pricematch their own ad?

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I wish my the damn Gamestops and EBgames in my area would update their stores with the new "guide"....[/quote]

If your desperate, you could try printing out the scan and bring it in. Who knows, it could work?

my GS had no clue about the Guide so I went across the street to ANOTHER GS and got the Guide and PM'd %110 at CC all within a square block. CRAZY!!! it's like lewis black and starbucks, the end..etc.

and lo and behold across the street...WAS ANOTHER GAMESTOP!!!

/Alzheimer's patient finishes buying crappy used games with stickers on them all day after trading in about 5000 of his games for about $12.52 in credit, placing preorders for every game in the hopes of getting bonus swag that in reality the employee's will pocket... walks outside...Excuse me gentleman but unless my eyes deceive me, I believe that is a Gamestop! Lets buy some games!!!

i dont think im going to shop at GS anymore. its like, i understand not having a game or something in stock, but could you at least have the attitude that you want to help me. same thing with CC and their one checkout lane with 8-10 employees standing around not having the ability to check people out. i just want to pay for this and leave, not stand around.

actually i wish that game stores would have self check out, like the grocery store. that would rule.

whoa that was a rant, thanks op!

Ask about the Circular, they know what it is, then ask them for the God of war that cost 19.99, showing them the picture (Page 44) and they should honor it

Shit, I was just at two different Gamestops on Thursday. Really, really wish I saw this sooner :bomb:

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a used copy to avoid the red case :/

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Shit, I was just at two different Gamestops on Thursday. Really, really wish I saw this sooner :bomb:

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a used copy to avoid the red case :/[/quote]

or go tomorrow, if you can...

The idiot manager I had to deal with also didn't know about the ad. She had to make 3 phone calls to two different "upper" management associates to figure out what to do. After about 10min she told the clerk who initially checked me out to just give me the discount. Also, as soon as she hung up she pulled all the rest of the magazines off the counter. I guess they just have no idea what the hell they are doing. Anyway, for whatever reason the 10% off came off the initial $40 so I was lucky jut to pay $17.11.

[quote name='CyberTrick']The idiot manager I had to deal with also didn't know about the ad. She had to make 3 phone calls to two different "upper" management associates to figure out what to do. After about 10min she told the clerk who initially checked me out to just give me the discount. Also, as soon as she hung up she pulled all the rest of the magazines off the counter. I guess they just have no idea what the hell they are doing.[/quote]

Wow, she sounds like a huge bitch. I got angry just reading that...

[quote name='Viol8tor']Quick question guys: The ad says that new Greatest Hits comes with 2 disc, does the original one come with only 1? And whats better about the original "Black Label" version? Just the fact that it doesn't say "Greatest Hits!" on the cover?Or was something removed on the GH one?

Thanks.[/quote] I personally don't mind the greatest hits. but the banner is a drag. In my experience it also lowers the trade in price of the game. it's better to buy the non-GH if you can find it.

I was able to PM at BB. I got it for $17.99. Cashier talked to manager but just to ask if they PM Gamestop.

fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to BB, bought the game, then came back to do the PM plus the extra 10%. I showed the circular to the idiot cashier. She called up EB who confirmed that they had the game in stock, but that the price was still $40. They also confirmed that the ad said it was to be $19.99, but that their computer wasn't showing it as such. She continued to refuse to PM me the game. I showed the her the date, the ad, fuck she thought that somehow I had gone to the future and magically brought back an ad from the future and that I had forged ad with my own fucking printer. She kept saying how they can't authorize a PM for an price without an advertised date on the ad, but I kept pointing to the date on the ad. Where the hell do they find these people?!?!?!??!!?!? Her supervisor did shit. She kept bullshiting, and I have never seen a person come up with so many false policies. She basically continued to back up her underling. Since fucking when is there a BB policy stating that they can deny whom ever they want a PM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? She kept trying to entrap me on some fucking technicality and I kept out thinking and thwarting her idiotic diatribe she was spouting. fuck, she had to have gone to law school and fucking failed to come up with the bullshit she was saying. No, that would be giving her too much credit. She fucking failed grade school to be spouting such inane and childish things. By the end, she was fucking agreeing with every single thing I was saying about how I don't have a printer to print out my own ads, that if there is an advertised price that EB/GS has to agree to their own price displayed and thus BB has to PM it as such, and that why the hell do they have a PM policy if she isn't going to respect it. This is the shit she was spouting to me. Not only this, but this moron stopped listening to me and acted as though an invisible barrier had been erected between us. I've never been patronized in such a way at a store. She fucking threatened to call the cops on me, this though I hadn't been unruly and purely rational and logical. Tomorrow I am going and I am fucking having her fired. She is losing her job and her stupid underling. I am demanding a manager and a fucking DM. Heads are going to fucking roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there are Vegas CAGs reading this, do not, and I repeat, do not go to the Maryland store. They are fucking imbeciles on a level that indescribable. I do not know who I hate more, EB/GS or BB.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to BB, bought the game, then came back to do the PM plus the extra 10%. I showed the circular to the idiot cashier. She called up EB who confirmed that they had the game in stock, but that the price was still $40. They also confirmed that the ad said it was to be $19.99, but that their computer wasn't showing it as such. She continued to refuse to PM me the game. I showed the her the date, the ad, fuck she thought that somehow I had gone to the future and magically brought back an ad from the future and that I had forged ad with my own fucking printer. She kept saying how they can't authorize a PM for an price without an advertised date on the ad, but I kept pointing to the date on the ad. Where the hell do they find these people?!?!?!??!!?!? Her supervisor did shit. She kept bullshiting, and I have never seen a person come up with so many false policies. She basically continued to back up her underling. Since fucking when is there a BB policy stating that they can deny whom ever they want a PM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? She kept trying to entrap me on some fucking technicality and I kept out thinking and thwarting her idiotic diatribe she was spouting. fuck, she had to have gone to law school and fucking failed to come up with the bullshit she was saying. No, that would be giving her too much credit. She fucking failed grade school to be spouting such inane and childish things. By the end, she was fucking agreeing with every single thing I was saying about how I don't have a printer to print out my own ads, that if there is an advertised price that EB/GS has to agree to their own price displayed and thus BB has to PM it as such, and that why the hell do they have a PM policy if she isn't going to respect it. This is the shit she was spouting to me. Not only this, but this moron stopped listening to me and acted as though an invisible barrier had been erected between us. I've never been patronized in such a way at a store. She fucking threatened to call the cops on me, this though I hadn't been unruly and purely rational and logical. Tomorrow I am going and I am fucking having her fired. She is losing her job and her stupid underling. I am demanding a manager and a fucking DM. Heads are going to fucking roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there are Vegas CAGs reading this, do not, and I repeat, do not go to the Maryland store. They are fucking imbeciles on a level that indescribable. I do not know who I hate more, EB/GS or BB.[/QUOTE]

sounds like someone has a case of the mondays

[quote name='Shadows916']the manager refused to adjust the price,(tried palying stupid over the add, then claimed he didn't have any on the adds in the store that would show this) said i had to wait for the gh version to come out before letting the original case go for 20 or i could apy the full price (left w/o buying it). just means i won't be stopping there on my lunch breaks anymore-i'll go someplace else[/quote]

Same here, so this deal is YMMV (have to wait until the GH version comes out before they will honor the 20 price). Then went to Circuit City to pm -- they called GS and were told the same story, so no go there as well.

Didn't have any trouble getting it for 19.99 at my Gamestop. I made sure they had a copy that wasn't gutted, and when they did I showed The Guide quoting the 19.99 price. The cashier asked me if that was a Gamestop ad (even though she just saw me pull it off the counter), but didn't get me any problems after that. I didn't push it with the 10% discount, I was just happy to get a sealed, non-GH copy for the reduced price.

Went to my closest GS yesterday...all 3 people working there told me it's $39.99, when I showed them the Guide, one of them tells me that it's for games that's coming out in May. I couldn't find the 4/6 date on the back fast enough, but all 3 of them decided to tell me the guide is to advertise upcoming games. (Although he was flipping through the DS games section, and all those games were out ALREADY, he added that there's no new DS games for April). The girl told me the $19.99 is for the Greatest Hits version of GoWII, which will be coming out next month (May), and I can't get the non-Greatest HIts version at that price.

I was gonna pick up the DualShock 3 controller there if they were gonna give me GoWII for $19.99, but seeing they were treating me like some dumbass who doesn't know anything about games, I walked out of there.

Next stop was CC, I tried to pricematch it there, but the cashier told me that they don't pricematch Gamestop since they specialize in games. When I asked if they consider Gamestop their competitors, they said no, they only consider stores that sell the same things (electronics, TVs, games, PCs) their competitors.

On a side note, I thought Darkstalkers Chronicles for the PSP was on clearance, and should be 33% off, but when it rang up $12.99 & I asked the cashier, she told me that "I doubt it'll go any lower than $12.99." As if $12.99 is the lowest price they have for a video game. When I asked, she showed me the ad, I wanted her to ask someone, she brought the guy over frrom the media dept, HE told me that the 33% clearance is only for the TWO games shown in the ad. WTF!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Not only this, but this moron stopped listening to me and acted as though an invisible barrier had been erected between us. I've never been patronized in such a way at a store. She fucking threatened to call the cops on me, this though I hadn't been unruly and purely rational and logical. Tomorrow I am going and I am fucking having her fired. She is losing her job and her stupid underling. I am demanding a manager and a fucking DM. Heads are going to fucking roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there are Vegas CAGs reading this, do not, and I repeat, do not go to the Maryland store. They are fucking imbeciles on a level that indescribable. I do not know who I hate more, EB/GS or BB.[/QUOTE]

All that aggravation is definitely not worth $4. Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I've learned my lesson on PMs from them in the past. It's always a crapshoot, even though the policy says otherwise.

BB sucks. Expect nothing less... unless of course it's CC.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fuck BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
How about going back to PM when the $20 price becomes active at EB? You have 30 days to do so. Most retailers should drop the price in the next couple of weeks anyway. On the bright side you have secured a black label version ;)

I can't believe how many of you have gotten these guides. I've visited 3 today and yesterday and none of them have it....and I'm in the D.C. area, so I'm not in some small town or city.

[quote name='eau']How about going back to PM when the $20 price becomes active at EB? You have 30 days to do so. Most retailers should drop the price in the next couple of weeks anyway. On the bright side you have secured a black label version ;)[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to say... I myself secured a $20 copy of this game months ago from an FYE so Im set

Went into Gamestop today and looked at page 44 in their game guide and sure enough GoW2 was shown as a GH for $19.99. It (reg ed.) was on the shelf marked as $39 so I took the guide and game and asked them what was the deal. The employees didn't know what was going on, but after some confused stares at eachother they said they'd sell it to me for $20. Thanks OP!

Also, totally unrelated but Crush looks like it's finally down to $19.99 for the PSP. I've seen some people waiting for a price drop on too.

All this drama to avoid a red lable?

I'm pretty sure my copy of GOW 1 is a GH title, so at least they'll match...and no tax/drama.

[quote name='chess']All this drama to avoid a red lable?

I'm pretty sure my copy of GOW 1 is a GH title, so at least they'll match...and no tax/drama.[/quote]
Haven't read through the rest of the thread, but I had no drama at all. Just went in, grabbed the guide, told them they were advertising the game at $19.99, and asked if I could have a copy at that price. Guy behind the counter kept reading over it, checking back in the system, reading it again, but then sold it to me at $19.99. Didn't take long at all, and definitely no drama. I didn't try the additional 10% off, though.

Closest thing to drama I had was that the only copy they had was the floor copy. I just went ahead and took it, then drove over to another one that is less than a mile away and asked if they could exchange the copy I just bought 15 minutes ago for a totally sealed copy, and they did it.

Now to track down a good condition original version of the first game. I bought it at launch, but sold it a week after that because I had beaten it and I knew it would drop back down to $20 at some point. Those aren't too hard to find, though.

[quote name='chess']All this drama to avoid a red lable?

I'm pretty sure my copy of GOW 1 is a GH title, so at least they'll match...and no tax/drama.[/quote]

Actually, considering some speculate we won't see it become a GH title until sometime in May, I would love to get in on some of this action at least a month early.

[quote name='neckfurters']Also, totally unrelated but Crush looks like it's finally down to $19.99 for the PSP. I've seen some people waiting for a price drop on too.[/quote]

I always assumed that GS had jacked up the price on Crush because KMart has always had it at $20 in the budget section.

Doh, I knew I should've broken this out, but I thought the point of keeping price drops and deals in one main thread was to avoid separate threads and the old thread had enough views. Ah well.

The first post of $15.99 GoW2 black label

Thanks for providing the scans, OP, something I couldn't do.

I hadn't thought of PMing to CC, that's a great deal. I was just lucly that I was able to get the DM to PM the ad. Supposedly the manager said it was to become GH today but I haven't checked - any confirmation?

just got out of another gamestop. Seems like managers and corporate are telling them to pricematch. So if they refuse, make them call corporate and general manager

I've never had a problem PMing at BB or CC. Maybe the cashiers are to busy or lazy to call the store i'm PMing.

Hooray for lazy cashiers!! \\:D/

I feel for you Hiccupleftovers.

I got a pricematch at Circuit City no problem. The only hesitation from the cashier was whether or not CC PMs Gamestop, to which her manager uh-huhed. So I got it for $17.99+tax and was able to use up some CC credit I had. Yay!

Thanks OP for the info! I'm glad GS corporate is making sure stores comply with the ad now, tho I'm still pieved the local store wouldn't do it in the first place.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I seriously envy people that are for the first time playing Ps2 games.

Some of the best games, now super cheap![/QUOTE]

I suppose ... but people getting in now aren't likely to get their hands on some of the cream of the crop. It's like the DC -- sure, start late and you can probably get Crazy Taxi and Sonic for nothing -- but Project Justice? Tech Romancer? Mark of the Wolves? Not without spilling some major dollars.

I got a copy of the magazine but after looking and thinking about it, they wouldn't allow me to have it. The manager said that the prices start today (4/6), disregarding the way the words were phrased. Anyway, I'm going to try going back to that same store tomorrow and asking for it again. Hopefully the manager's back and they'll remember our exchange.

Also, I went to 3 other EB-variants and none of them had the book.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I suppose ... but people getting in now aren't likely to get their hands on some of the cream of the crop. It's like the DC -- sure, start late and you can probably get Crazy Taxi and Sonic for nothing -- but Project Justice? Tech Romancer? Mark of the Wolves? Not without spilling some major dollars.[/quote]
Depends on what you call the "cream of the crop". I, personally, am not too big on JRPGs and those seem to be about the only things that *increase* in price/rarity. But if you consider gems like Ico, Psyconauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, Ratchet, Jax, Sly, etc....there are fucktons of good games that can be bought cheaply...

Went to Circuit City to pricematch, but they didn't have GOW2 in stock, so I went to Wal-Mart, and they had plenty of GOW2s in stock and the cashier got the manager to do an override for $19.99. Yay! :D

I had a lot of trouble in my gamestop
This guy dressed super fly insisted that they were selling GoW 2 for $39.99. Once I showed him the ad, he said that was the price for the greatest hits. Once i told him i would like that version, he said they didnt have any currently (since when does a new shipment of greatest hits runs out on the first day?).

His reasoning to not PM it was because they were two different games. I pleaded ignorance and asked what the difference was to see if his own bullshit would collapse on top of him.

Unfortunately, waco texas african americans dressed in business attire inside a game store know their shit. He pulled me to the side and showed me the greatest hits of call of duty 3 (which specifically says special edition) Among others. That and that greatest hits means they sold so many copies and such. He had a good arsenal working against me. All i had was what was unadvertised. Then some chubby biscuit comes from nowhere and tells me that these offers are "valid while supplies last."

So he calls the ebgames in the region and asks them if they have sold any greatest hits GoW2.
According to this fly-guy they had sold one today. I couldnt call him a liar, he would call me a racist or something, even though i am a minority too.

So i told him ill just price match it somewhere else.

So i made out with the cutie next to him and walked out.
Go to walmart, price match it there, buy two copies, only to get rid of the second one out of spite for not being able to use the 10% cupin. Seriously, the walmart thing was SO fast it wasnt even funny. I knew going to circuit city wouldve caused me trouble. NEVER go to the Waco Tx Circuit city untill you got brass ones to argue with the manager there (who also happens to be african american?!)

I have a question, fellas, to everyone here that read my story.

should i...
take the receipt back to the gamestop, show it to the manager and ask:
ihavenolife: "Do you like apples?"
fly-manager: "Yes i do"
ihavenolife: "I got it pricematched at walmart, how do you like them apples?"

Yay or Nay?

bread's done
Back