God of War Collection PS3 (+FREE GOWIII DEMO!) 36.99 FSS + ECA DISC at Amazon

disapointing that they put them both on a blu ray disk for the ps3 and it wont even be in 1080p.

Thats just lazy

[quote name='dcm1602']disapointing that they put them both on a blu ray disk for the ps3 and it wont even be in 1080p.

Thats just lazy[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because it's so easy to upgrade a game that was originally made in 480i at best to 1080p. You're a disappointment. Troll better.

On-topic: Thanks OP. I've been thinking about pre-ordering this, and this is a good enough reason. I look forward to replaying the games.

So, since I ordered yesterday (when it was in my quick picks) at $39.99, I should get $3 off now because of their pre-order price guarantee, right?

[quote name='YodaEXE']Yeah, because it's so easy to upgrade a game that was originally made in 480i at best to 1080p. You're a disappointment. Troll better.

On-topic: Thanks OP. I've been thinking about pre-ordering this, and this is a good enough reason. I look forward to replaying the games.[/QUOTE]

I guess all the old movies from the 70s/80s/90s that are now on bluray must have been originally made in 1080p also ?

[quote name='mkernan']So, since I ordered yesterday (when it was in my quick picks) at $39.99, I should get $3 off now because of their pre-order price guarantee, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they'll adjust the price & still give you your quick picks 5% discount & ECA 10% discount.

This is a good deal and I will pick it up when I eventually get a ps3. Wonder if they will offer a $10 gift card closer to when the game comes out like they have done for a lot of other games.

[quote name='dcm1602']I guess all the old movies from the 70s/80s/90s that are now on bluray must have been originally made in 1080p also ?[/QUOTE]
Comparing film resolution to videogame resolution is absurd.

[quote name='dcm1602']I guess all the old movies from the 70s/80s/90s that are now on bluray must have been originally made in 1080p also ?[/QUOTE]

I guess you don't know who film works?

There is a LARGE difference between movies and games. It's fairly easy for them to upconvert a video, especially since many of those videos were downconverted a bit to begin with when you see them on TV/DVD. In regards to games though, they need to go in and replace all of the textures in the game with ones of a higher resolution. That is a lot more work. You also have to make sure that the new textures work in the game and that more things don't get broken by your changes.

Are there any screenshot teasers for this yet? I hear "high definition" but there's no real explanation of what exactly that means. Completely redone visuals using a stripped down GOW3 engine? Mildly improved textures and filters to hide the rough spots?

Not really a disappointment that it's not 1080p. What the fuck is these days anyway? Certainly not a whole hell of a lot for the PS3. It's no big deal. 720p is acceptable enough.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Are there any screenshot teasers for this yet? I hear "high definition" but there's no real explanation of what exactly that means. Completely redone visuals using a stripped down GOW3 engine? Mildly improved textures and filters to hide the rough spots?

Not really a disappointment that it's not 1080p. What the fuck is these days anyway? Certainly not a whole hell of a lot for the PS3. It's no big deal. 720p is acceptable enough.[/QUOTE]

No, it's the same PS2 graphics but it'll run at 720p natively. They did say they'll replace any textures which look bad at 720p. It'll look better than upscaled graphics but it'll still be PS2 graphics.

It would probably be a lot of work to have the game run at 1080p, which is more than twice the original resolution.

I've never played any of these games before, so I'll probably pick them up a little before God of War 3 comes out.

[quote name='johnsdoe00']I've never played any of these games before, so I'll probably pick them up a little before God of War 3 comes out.[/QUOTE]
They're definitely worth playing. Good story, and absolutely great gameplay. They're a lot of fun.

oooo, so tempting especially after the a 10.00 credit I have from GH5. If they decide to offer a 10.00 credit with this preorder at a future time (a lot of preorders have/have had one) will it retroactively add that promo to an order placed now, or should I wait a bit to see if they add one?

no one mentioned 2 platniums for this game yet?

I was able to get it for $1.44 after amazon promos ($30 code (not available unless you already have one plus eca plus goldbox).

It's a shame they didn't include Chains of Olympus with the set. It would have been nice to been able to play all three games before 3 comes out.

[quote name='Vinny']No, it's the same PS2 graphics but it'll run at 720p natively. They did say they'll replace any textures which look bad at 720p. It'll look better than upscaled graphics but it'll still be PS2 graphics.

It would probably be a lot of work to have the game run at 1080p, which is more than twice the original resolution.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. I imagine it'd need a lot more texture work to not look like crap.

Not really surprised, Amazon has been doing slight discounts on most new games for a while now.

Recommended for people who missed out on the PS2 releases...and of course trophy hunters.

Crap... should I order this now or wait for a Goldbox discount. I don't think it'll stay at $34.99 for long.:whistle2:k

EDIT* Nevermind, it's already back to $36.99. Damn. Guess I'll for my Goldbox discount.:lol:

could someone explain how these might look on the ps3 with hdtv? I just have no idea what to expect.

i dont have a backwards compatible ps3... and all i know is when i did get an hdtv and hooked up the ps2 i basically decided i could no longer play it, lol

so sorry for my lack of understanding on how this might look on the ps3... i just dont want to grab it and then be completely disappointed compared to ps3 games.

thanks for any info... if no idea no prob just curious... im sure some trailers or screenshots will be releases in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll upscale it to a 720p native resolution, meaning it will look great on your hdtv. Although it will be a port, they are remaking Kratos' character model with updated textures, plus other environment textures that look bad in 720. They also mentioned that they will be completely remaking the HUD graphics, so you don't have to worry about seeing giant pixelated symbols on the rerelease. Almost forgot, they're adding 2x anti-aliasing as well, which means it will have some of those nice, glowy next-gen effects.

It won't look like a ps3 game, because it isn't, but it will look better than the ps2 originals (unless they really screw it up somehow).

I bought both GoW and GoW2 for PS2.

I still haven't gotten around to playing them more than an hour. I popped it in my PS3 when I first got it just to see how it'd look - and it looks great for a PS2 game, when run with progressive scan on - but still... no widescreen is a bummer. Wish I never bought them so I could pick this up instead!

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']I bought both GoW and GoW2 for PS2.

I still haven't gotten around to playing them more than an hour. I popped it in my PS3 when I first got it just to see how it'd look - and it looks great for a PS2 game, when run with progressive scan on - but still... no widescreen is a bummer. Wish I never bought them so I could pick this up instead![/QUOTE]

Thats strange, because I play them in progressive widescreen. Have you bothered to check the options on it? You have to enable widescreen.

I have already finished them all so this collection is useless. It is time for the 3rd installment instead of releasing such useless package.

Sony, move on and give us what we want GOW III.

[quote name='Relysis']Almost forgot, they're adding 2x anti-aliasing as well, which means it will have some of those nice, glowy next-gen effects[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never knew that! :roll:

When I saw it was a collection, I immediately thought it would be 1, 2 and CoO. After seeing it was only 2 then I was thinking blah. Then I read that there would be trophy support. Damn you Sony!

I imagine putting in Chains of Olympus might be a lot of work since that was a PSP game...or maybe it wouldn't be that much work and Sony just wants you to buy a PSP if you want to play the game.

Either theory works.

I'll wait to see if they still throw these on the collector's edition first. I'll be able to get it cheaper used by then if not.

[quote name='mhnajjar']I have already finished them all so this collection is useless. It is time for the 3rd installment instead of releasing such useless package.

Sony, move on and give us what we want GOW III.[/QUOTE]
Uhhhh, not everyone has a PS2 and has never played these games. This was a good thing.

I know everyone else is giving the smart ass response but instead of piling on I'll try and enlighten you... traditional film has no resolution. It can be scanned in and formatted for whatever size a particular medium requires.

[quote name='johnsdoe00']I've never played any of these games before, so I'll probably pick them up a little before God of War 3 comes out.[/QUOTE]

100% worth it if you have never played them. If you buy them new/used in stores for the PS2 you will spend $25-$30. So for ~$10 more you get upscaled graphics, trophies, and probably some kind of bonus content.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Uhhhh, not everyone has a PS2 and has never played these games. This was a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Especially since GoW III story relies heavily on the knowledge of the story of the previous games. Playing GoW 3 without knowing the story is like playing Halo 3 without knowing the story.

[quote name='tripleoptic']could someone explain how these might look on the ps3 with hdtv? I just have no idea what to expect.

i dont have a backwards compatible ps3... and all i know is when i did get an hdtv and hooked up the ps2 i basically decided i could no longer play it, lol

so sorry for my lack of understanding on how this might look on the ps3... i just dont want to grab it and then be completely disappointed compared to ps3 games.

thanks for any info... if no idea no prob just curious... im sure some trailers or screenshots will be releases in time.[/QUOTE]

I understand the concern. I was just playing GoW2 on a 32 LCD in progressive and widescreen mode on PS2. To be honest that was even good enough for me. It didn't blow me away, but it seriously was probably the best looking PS2 game I ever seen. I believe that's only 480P stretched so 720P should definitely be acceptable. Dec 31st? DAMN! Was hoping for it sooner. In for 1.

bread's done
Back