God of War

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']It just seemed like Develius May Cry without the art direction... can someone give me some standout qualities? I know the magazines like it, but I can't see what more there could be to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

well, it's similar in some ways, but I think DMC's gameplay is much deeper, plus it has great replay value. I did find GoW's story a bit more compelling.

Some stand out qualities-- there are tits, a sex mini game, it's very violent + bloody, has no A.I. and easy-to-pull-off 1000 hit combos make you feel like a real badass! All the payoff without the work, what could be better than that!
I like my games to be harder, but GoW is good if you want to kick some ass.

beat this recently in a little over 9 hours. it was definitely a little short, but I really enjoyed the entire game in general. loved all the cutscenes and the backstory. I don't know if anyone else thought this but the explanation to why Kratos was white or pale colored, I thought was rad. I had trouble with the last boss/stage, frustrated that you couldn't save inbetween, basically had to sit there until you beat it. it definitely made finally beating it that much sweeter.

I think the best part of GOW is the level design and the nicely detailed background. It always make me say "ah.... that's why there was this switch... blah blah" ....
All the trick/puzzle seems to be related but you do not feel like it until you discover it later. Althouhg in the end it seems very repetitive.

The part where you are climbing the tower while seeing giant in the background is very nicely done. Even my gf likes to watch me playing this game instead of just telling me to turn off the ps2.

Game is short, not much replay value... but GoW ownz DMC 1 or 2 anytime. DMC 3 is decent but I don't see it being as special.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I just beat it last night, kinda short? Took me around 9-10 hrs I think was what the game time told me. However, it was some of the best 9-10 hrs of action gameplay I've encountered on the PS2. I truly think its one of the console's best games yet. Also, anyone else think the ending was completely badass??[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Best ending since Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

[quote name='CheapyD']Nobody told me there were going to be naked (female) breasts in this game. Nice bonus.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I didn't see this post earlier. After years of being subjected to man breasts in games it is a nice change of pace. I think the fact that is wasn't the main focus of the game (BMX XXX) is what made it work. I was surprised that a first-party game would have such content. After the nonsense with Guy Game I think boobs in the future will be of the rendered variety. No bs lawsuits then.

The boss fight pissed me off. The game had some cool points, but if I didn't get it with FYE credit, I wouldn't have gotten it. It flipped between god of war and god of bore a bit much for me.

I'm stuck.........After defeating the three headed thing (Hydra??) I'm not sure where to go. I got the key but all paths seem to be blocked.

I'm not a big fan of the "you can't go here" problem which seems to be all over the place. I found it interesting that in one part there are two identical nets next to each other but you can only climb up and down the designated one.

[quote name='Jaxcomet']I'm stuck.........After defeating the three headed thing (Hydra??) I'm not sure where to go. I got the key but all paths seem to be blocked.

I'm not a big fan of the "you can't go here" problem which seems to be all over the place. I found it interesting that in one part there are two identical nets next to each other but you can only climb up and down the designated one.[/QUOTE]

You have to go back and get the guy out of jail with the key, I believe. I think you get back by jumping up on a rope and sliding down from the top of the ship. I could be wrong, though.

[quote name='mmn']You have to go back and get the guy out of jail with the key, I believe. I think you get back by jumping up on a rope and sliding down from the top of the ship. I could be wrong, though.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Go to the Hyrda head on the right. Jump on the boxes till you reach the top. Jump over to the netting. And then slide down the rope to the other ship. There was a little "cut scene" after you get the key that pointed you in that direction, but the OP must have missed it.

I just got the game yesterday, and am enjoying it throughly. The bosses / mini bosses are a blast to fight. The level design (so far) is the best I have seen since Prince of Persia.

Edit: I missed the "Get the guy out of Jail with the Key" part. I used the key to unlock the captains cabin on the other ship. When I replay, I will try to get the guy out of the jail as well.

[quote name='Apossum']well, it's similar in some ways, but I think DMC's gameplay is much deeper, plus it has great replay value. I did find GoW's story a bit more compelling.

Some stand out qualities-- there are tits, a sex mini game, it's very violent + bloody, has no A.I. and easy-to-pull-off 1000 hit combos make you feel like a real badass! All the payoff without the work, what could be better than that!
I like my games to be harder, but GoW is good if you want to kick some ass.[/QUOTE]

I can't figure out if you love or hate this game. You running for president next term? :)

Seriously, I think this game was one of the better ones I've played in a while. I'm one of those people who gets a game, plays it for a while, loses interest, and picks it up later, plays some more, rinse and repeat.
This one however, I could not put down. Difficulity on the normal mode was just right, a bit easy in some areas, but handing out asswhoopins has never been more fun IMHO. Take one and pass em back.
The story was also very good I thought.

The game is pretty good but nowhere near as good as all the reviews have made it out to be. The story is quite kickass for a mindless action game, the bosses (except for Ares) are really cool, and the graphics (specifically the level design and art design in general) are great.

The gameplay is a bit repetitive, the number of enemies is severly limited, there are nowhere near enough boss battles, and the puzzle and platforming elements leave a lot to be desired.

Had they spent a couple more months, and focussed more on # of enemy types and # of bosses, this game could have been great. As it is, it is just quite good.

Get the guy out of jail? I don't think there's a way to get that guy out. You have to let the women out of the captain's cabin.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Get the guy out of jail? I don't think there's a way to get that guy out. You have to let the women out of the captain's cabin.[/QUOTE]

You might be right, I'm probably wrong. All I remember is you did have to back track a bit and use that key to unlock something.

I went past that part the day after the game was released so my memory is a tad fuzzy. :)

That Hydra fight is the greatest opening level of avideo game that I've EVER played. Badass from start to finish. Violent as hell too - not necessary but insanely cool. They didn't pull any punches with this game. I'm only an hour in and I can't wait for GoW2.

Those bastards at gamefly sent me a scratched disk, so I played up to the "Temple of the Oracle" and now I can't load the next level. Arghh!

So I ended up picking up Phantom Brave at EB so that I have something to do while I wait for gamefly mailings. life is so hard.

Anyone played through it on very hard yet? I am at the final boss and need some help.

The first form is a joke, but the second form is the most frustrating thing I have ever come across.

I can make it to the battle with full life and magic (it's sort of hard not to), but I just cannot keep the people alive (no specifics so as to avoid any spoilers). Anyone have any hints on what to do? And trust me, if you haven't played it on very hard, you will have no clue as to why this is so hard.

Most videogames don't give me that much of a challenge, and this one didn't until I had the stipulation of keeping really weak people alive. I mean, Ninja Gaiden on Very Hard was easier than this one segment.

bread's done
Back