GOG Deals Thread

You. Have. GOT. To be fucking kidding me.

I actually have a huge bunch of Star Trek games, complete in box. Several are sealed. And now this happens. ARGH.

its5lMuDM3wBr.gif

Edit: IF, and I do mean this as a huge if, we get a chance to redeem the serial keys from some older games (the Unreal engine based ones, especially) to get them on GOG, that would be amazing. But I sincerely doubt that'll happen.
I got a set of twelve Star Trek games a few years ago, brand new, intending to sell them off on eBay. But nobody wanted to pay the shipping cost for them. After a while, I just went "fuck it, there's no chance these will ever be digitally re-released, not when CBS will probably want a ton of dough to do it."

And I just won Judgment Rites in a forum auction last week. (The item was completely trashed so it went to the dumpster immediately, no biggie I guess.)

So I basically bought the game last week so it would show up on GOG. For you guys.
I wonder how the fuck Interplay managed to pull this off...Was it Leonard Nimoy's passing? Great. Now we'll all have to wait for Patrick Stewart or Shatner's passing away before we get the rest. They still haven't released the director's cuts on Blu-Ray yet which is complete BS...

Star Trek 25th was excellent in it's time... I imagine it holds up well.

I swear I remember my CD-ROM version of it supporting spoken voice commands... which some quick googling is turning up no mention of.

Soundblaster 16 w/SCSI 2X CD-ROM drive and full-size MIDI DINs...
True story: I cried when I couldn't get Judgment Rites to work first time around in 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Trek 25th was excellent in it's time... I imagine it holds up well.

I swear I remember my CD-ROM version of it supporting spoken voice commands... which some quick googling is turning up no mention of.

Soundblaster 16 w/SCSI 2X CD-ROM drive and full-size MIDI DINs...

You. Have. GOT. To be fucking kidding me.

I actually have a huge bunch of Star Trek games, complete in box. Several are sealed. And now this happens. ARGH.

Edit: IF, and I do mean this as a huge if, we get a chance to redeem the serial keys from some older games (the Unreal engine based ones, especially) to get them on GOG, that would be amazing. But I sincerely doubt that'll happen.
Not excited about these because I (still) have a boxed copy of the Judgement Rites CE, although I think I sold/lost/ate the VHS copy of "The City on the Edge of Forever" that came with it. The talky versions of these two games are terrific, much less irritating than TNG: A Final Unity.

I barely remember playing Starfleet Academy (had a big box for that one too), but I remember it being ludicrously difficult.

I have an untouched copy of Starfleet Command 2: Orion Pirates at home and a manual and CD-ROM of Armada 1 that I ebayed several years ago. I liked the premise behind Armada, but the pathfinding in that game is horrendous. I think the first campaign mission basically requires you to click your ship over every square pixel of the map before you can finish it. I haven't reinstalled and played it in a very long time. Armada 2 is only available through arr-mateys and ebay sellers asking at least $60 for just the discs, so I'd be pretty happy if GOG acquired the rights to some of the more obscure ST titles like that, Borg, Klingon Academy, New Worlds, and Starfleet Command III.

Borg may not even be an option. I'm pretty sure that the game required Quicktime, and nobody wants that garbage in their system again.

Except maybe Mac users.

Then again it's one of the games in my collection so who knows...

Not excited about these because I (still) have a boxed copy of the Judgement Rites CE, although I think I sold/lost/ate the VHS copy of "The City on the Edge of Forever" that came with it. The talky versions of these two games are terrific, much less irritating than TNG: A Final Unity.

I barely remember playing Starfleet Academy (had a big box for that one too), but I remember it being ludicrously difficult.

I have an untouched copy of Starfleet Command 2: Orion Pirates at home and a manual and CD-ROM of Armada 1 that I ebayed several years ago. I liked the premise behind Armada, but the pathfinding in that game is horrendous. I think the first campaign mission basically requires you to click your ship over every square pixel of the map before you can finish it. I haven't reinstalled and played it in a very long time. Armada 2 is only available through arr-mateys and ebay sellers asking at least $60 for just the discs, so I'd be pretty happy if GOG acquired the rights to some of the more obscure ST titles like that, Borg, Klingon Academy, New Worlds, and Starfleet Command III.
In SFA were you shooting the starbase during the instant action? My bros and I would do that for s***s and giggles to see how long we'd last in an Oberth class ship.

I was very very blessed to find ST: Armada 2 at a Half Price Books a few years back CiB...it's better than 1 and with some mods the graphics are still fabulous.

Borg is a decent 45 minute episode as long as you put up with the terrible controls. I think you can run this in DOSBOX...

New Worlds was the only Star Trek game I played for two hours and never touched again; I never really got the hang of it.

SFCIII is basically 2 with some facelifts and somewhat streamlined interfaces - nothing wrong with that. One day I'll go back and pick up where I left off in the Romulan campaign.

And Klingon Academy - Soooooooooooooooooo much better than SFA. It was Interplay's last hurrah before the contract was up. David Warner and Christopher Plummer are in top form with the movies being in much better quality. My younger bro pulled it out of mothballs a month ago and the AI is absolutely visceral even on easy. Better know your Klingon mentalities if you want to survive even the first campaign mission.

And be sure to warp to Earth in instant action mode where you can fight a UFO from "It Came from Outer Space."

Forgot to mention: KA has a Windows 7 patch. It works 90% of the time without a hitch and the graphics all fixed up. The 10% - it crashes.

Elite Force 1 and 2 are great games. The first one had a great story. The second one not so much though. I'd love a mod that takes the first campaign and put it into EF2.

Bridge Commander gives probably the definitive "experience" of sitting in the Captain's Chair. Mods make the game a lot more complex and the graphics engine has been pushed beyond its boundaries to where I wonder if even a PS4/Xbone could handle the modded game (hint: probably not).

Star Trek games I'm waiting for:

- Star Trek: Online to get its s*** together after the botched Delta Rising release

- Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury - the REAL REASON you all must buy the games on GOG.com

- JR/25th games to get remasters

- Star Trek: Tales of the Federation - Bandai Namco's Tales Team joins up with CBS to make a good Star Trek RPG (will NEVER happen)

- A game with the reboot crew that JJ Abrams won't be butthurt about.

Awesome, looking forward to checking out some of these early Trek games!

Most of my Star Trek game experience was with Armada 1+2, Elite Force 1+2, and Bridge Commander.

Borg may not even be an option. I'm pretty sure that the game required Quicktime, and nobody wants that garbage in their system again.

Except maybe Mac users.

Then again it's one of the games in my collection so who knows...
QuickTime X (2009+) makes a clean break from past (Quicktime 7 and below) but it far less functional.

In SFA were you shooting the starbase during the instant action? My bros and I would do that for s***s and giggles to see how long we'd last in an Oberth class ship.
Heck, I really can't remember.

I was very very blessed to find ST: Armada 2 at a Half Price Books a few years back CiB...it's better than 1 and with some mods the graphics are still fabulous.
Dang. That is a sweet find. I love HPB and I almost wish I lived in Texas just because there is a plethora of HPB locations around that state. But I could probably only live somewhere around Austin without completely losing my mind.

EDIT: Quite a few years ago, GameStop sold an "action pack" with the Elite Force games and Armada games bundled together for something like $15. I think those are selling for some absurd amount on ebay now too.

Elite Force 1 and 2 are great games. The first one had a great story. The second one not so much though. I'd love a mod that takes the first campaign and put it into EF2.
Yeah, the Elite Force games were surprisingly good. Way better than the actual Voyager television show.

Bridge Commander gives probably the definitive "experience" of sitting in the Captain's Chair. Mods make the game a lot more complex and the graphics engine has been pushed beyond its boundaries to where I wonder if even a PS4/Xbone could handle the modded game (hint: probably not).
I had an arr-matey version of this at one time; I really couldn't get into it.

I did like DS9: The Fallen, but Harbinger was just weird and I couldn't figure Dominion Wars out for the life of me.

And Legacy should have been really good, but it was absolutely horrible.

]
Heck, I really can't remember.

Dang. That is a sweet find. I love HPB and I almost wish I lived in Texas just because there is a plethora of HPB locations around that state. But I could probably only live somewhere around Austin without completely losing my mind.

EDIT: Quite a few years ago, GameStop sold an "action pack" with the Elite Force games and Armada games bundled together for something like $15. I think those are selling for some absurd amount on ebay now too.

Yeah, the Elite Force games were surprisingly good. Way better than the actual Voyager television show.

I had an arr-matey version of this at one time; I really couldn't get into it.

I did like DS9: The Fallen, but Harbinger was just weird and I couldn't figure Dominion Wars out for the life of me.

And Legacy should have been really good, but it was absolutely horrible.
See how long you can survive a starbase in an Oberth class ship...heheheheheee...

Yeah I remember the Star Trek Action Pack. When it came out, I double dipped on Armada and EF to get A2 and the EF expansion. I was a total MORON to sell that pack back in 2006. :wall:

The Fallen is a great game and experience. Harbinger was a good interactive episode but that was about it; it did QTEs before it was cool...it also did QTEs in a way no one would ever attempt to do again (you had to basically mash your mouse button all over the screen randomly until you hit something...fast).

The only reason I still have Legacy on PC (never had nor want to try the 360) is because thanks to the Ultimate Universe Mod it's the best "interstellar photography" game ever. It makes great computer wallpaper and even good posters to hang on the wall. Have a look:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12337]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12340]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12339]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12338]

STAR TREK GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

:shock:  :whee:  :D/  :applause:

I could be happy about this.

Wait for a sale.  Wait for a sale.  Wait for a sale.

See how long you can survive a starbase in an Oberth class ship...heheheheheee...

Yeah I remember the Star Trek Action Pack. When it came out, I double dipped on Armada and EF to get A2 and the EF expansion. I was a total MORON to sell that pack back in 2006. :wall:

The Fallen is a great game and experience. Harbinger was a good interactive episode but that was about it; it did QTEs before it was cool...it also did QTEs in a way no one would ever attempt to do again (you had to basically mash your mouse button all over the screen randomly until you hit something...fast).

The only reason I still have Legacy on PC (never had nor want to try the 360) is because thanks to the Ultimate Universe Mod it's the best "interstellar photography" game ever. It makes great computer wallpaper and even good posters to hang on the wall. Have a look:
Mmm, I could geek out looking at Star Trek screenies all day. I'll have to check out Legacy, I remember having a lot of fun with modded Bridge Commander.

I've still got my Star Trek Action Pack!

If any of you have Sins of a Solar Empire, you should check out the Star Trek: Armada 3 mod. I can play it for hours just watching the ship battles unfold.

A few screens from an earlier version of the mod:

iyfDsTdvFoCbh.jpg

iUaeUxHxQVy85.jpg

i73eRl1AYdnmG.jpg

inM1UYcom6W8v.jpg

iyoAnwxPd1rcA.jpg

iLPHIN4sdV3mf.jpg

I have never played a Star Trek game.  I have never heard of most of these games.  I did not know there had been more than one or two Star Trek games.

Man, you mean Armada 1 and 2 are worth money? I should dig up my old discs and eBay them before GoG gets to them. I hardly spent any time with them anyway.

Mmm, I could geek out looking at Star Trek screenies all day. I'll have to check out Legacy, I remember having a lot of fun with modded Bridge Commander.

I've still got my Star Trek Action Pack!

If any of you have Sins of a Solar Empire, you should check out the Star Trek: Armada 3 mod. I can play it for hours just watching the ship battles unfold.
So downloading that, now. I've had SoaSE backlogged for ages now; time to dust it off and check it out. Thanks!

Do u have any moar copies of City on the Edge of Forever to eat plz respond

I never knew Star Trek had so many games....course I'm not a trekkie though I did watch some in the 90s with my dad (at the least the original and whatever was new and showing weekly at the time). 

Was that the bookshelf that Picard had in that one episode where they had to beam down to the planet and do stuff and things?

Cool.
I think it is the one where an alien probe scans Picard and he lives an entire lifetime in a few minutes, learning to play the flute and build awesome shelves.

damn.. Gamestop Exclusive STAR Trek online on the upper right photo.

how does that pan out for you?
Heh...I got it when they were $4.99. I was going to get another for my bro the next day when they conveniently pennied them out. I was all cool over the phone but in my head I was all... fuck !

Did get two normal copies for $2.99 the same day so he did get the original Connie at least.

I think that episode was called "The Inner Light".

I found a few more things:

[attachment=14287:20150509_134353.jpg][attachment=14288:20150509_134358.jpg][attachment=14289:20150509_134608.jpg]

And of course this:

[attachment=14290:20150509_134407.jpg]

No one talked about this game so a quick review:

A

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:9293]
out of 5.

GOG completely broke one feature when trying to add another. They replaced private messages with a "chat" feature that merges with the new friend list. The problem is.. now you can't view any of your old PMs. Supposedly you can get your old messages back if you add everyone that PM'd you to your friend list.. but I don't remember 95% of the people that PM'd me.

Thanks for the new useless feature GOG!

Who in their right mind PMs people on GOG? Friends list on GOG, what. Crazy talk I tell you.

And they changed the wood bookshelf graphic, heresy!

With them pushing Galaxy, I guess the old downloader is no longer an option? Nevermind, found the "GOG downloader links" button.

I buy from GOG just for the nostalgia factor. I loved the shelf and MY order, I loved to look at those digital boxes. Now I can't see any point buying from them anymore. Hope they fix it, until then, bye GOG!

BTW, I don't care about the "galaxy" client, I'd rather get my shelf back.

Their whole schtick and clientele is people clinging to the 20th century for dear life. That fako digital shelf completely inappropriate for the media it represents was the cheese that the digital download bitter pills were shoved in to hide them from people kicking and screaming refusing to join the 21st century.

Getting rid of that phoney comfort for that crowd can't end well.

DAMMIT GOG!!! I want to feel like I'm in MysterD's basement...they really need to add a slight sheen to the boxes on the bookshelf to show that the boxes are still in the shrink...

DAMMIT GOG!!! I want to feel like I'm in MysterD's basement...they really need to add a slight sheen to the boxes on the bookshelf to show that the boxes are still in the shrink...
They totally need to allow you to use your own "pic holding the box" for each game!

I buy from GOG just for the nostalgia factor. I loved the shelf and MY order, I loved to look at those digital boxes. Now I can't see any point buying from them anymore. Hope they fix it, until then, bye GOG!

BTW, I don't care about the "galaxy" client, I'd rather get my shelf back.
I'm greedy - give me both my wood-shelf and the "Galaxy" client.

Not sure if it was mentioned already but you can start pre-loading The Witcher 3 (26 GB) via your browser, GOG downloader, or Galaxy.

EDIT - Decided to try out Galaxy. Can't seem to find a way to pause downloads or set bandwidth limits. I feel that they should have at least launched with all the features available in the GOG downloader.

Not sure if it was mentioned already but you can start pre-loading The Witcher 3 (26 GB) via your browser, GOG downloader, or Galaxy.

EDIT - Decided to try out Galaxy. Can't seem to find a way to pause downloads or set bandwidth limits. I feel that they should have at least launched with all the features available in the GOG downloader.
The client is a complete disaster and the fact that they threw it out in such a sorry condition just speaks volumes about GOG right now.

GOG is going to be giving away 8,000 keys for Rise of the Triad 2013 tomorrow morning. You'll need a reddit account.

They previously had a giveaway for this game so you may already own it on GOG.

This is for a stress test so the window is fairly tight and not great timing for us in the US.

To give you time to grab your key, we'll announce the giveaway on reddit.com/r/patientgamers from the official /u/GOGcom account, at 11:00 AM GMT / 1:00 PM CET / 4:00 AM PT / 7:00 AM ET. You'll have three hours to send us a PM and receive a reply. Just as we finish the giveaway (at 2:00 PM GMT / 4:00 PM CET / 7:00 AM PT / 10:00 AM ET) you will have precisely 20 minutes to redeem it - yup, we want all of you to redeem your codes at the same time and really give our infrastructure a workout.
link

bread's done
Back