GOG Deals Thread

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance will be getting pulled from GOG b/c of historical footage needs to be re-licensed:

https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=242357

Also, versions of MGS2 & MGS3 on PS3, PS Vita, NVidia Shield, X360 & N3DS will get pulled too:

Which products will be temporarily removed?

• PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
  • PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
  • PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
  • PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
  • PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
  • PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
  • PlayStation™Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
  • Xbox 360 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION: 2 & 3
  • Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
  • GOG.com METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
  • NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
  • NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 3 HD for SHIELD TV
*Some of the above titles are not available in some countries and regions

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-licensing historical footage? What the hell does that even mean?

Oh and they can pull it from the store forever for all I care. GOGtard that I am, I already bought the game months ago.

Re-licensing historical footage? What the hell does that even mean?

Oh and they can pull it from the store forever for all I care. GOGtard that I am, I already bought the game months ago.
Someone else or some company owns some historical footage/video, not Konami. So now, to get the game back up at stores - Konami's either gotta pay for that license and re-up it...or remove it entirely, if they can't cut a deal.

I really don't like the licensing of music, cars, products, footage, historical video/footages, and any other non-sense. Maybe so these games can be sold forever, they (dev's and pub's) should try to cut royalties per sale to whomever owns the license they're using or try to get forever-licenses or whatever to these companies that they use to licenses whatever it is for.

So that way, the game can always be sold digitally on stores like GOG, PSN, XBL, Steam, etc; and/or at retail if they want to press the game on discs. That way, they (dev's and pub's) ain't gotta worry about their game disappearing from stores and future generations can buy the classic easily. That way, gamers now and especially younger/future gamers numerous years down the line can buy the game easily and legitimately on their favorite store it's sold at...instead of jumping through hoops like Ebay or wherever to find old copies; and/or go actually pirate the damn thing.

But of course, that's how they license-holders make $ - getting companies to re-license stuff every 3-10 years or whatever the deal is, so it can be re-sold.

Now, if this game don't wind-up w/ its "historical footage" license ever re-upped or the content removed - then it'll basically wind-up gone until they resolve the matter.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that to me like I'm a five year old, but I already knew all of that. I was more reacting to use of the words "historical footage". I was picturing someone owning the rights to the Zapruder film and licensing it out. Which struck me as weird.

But then I just remembered that Zapruder actually did sell the rights to the JFK assassination film to Life magazine.

Granted, I got MGS2 backlogged and all from GOG & whatnot - but does anyone exactly know what the exact footage in the game is that is causing the licensing issues?

Hatoful Boyfriend games are getting delisted from GOG tomorrow:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/hatoful_boyfriend_and_hatoful_boyfriend_holiday_star_delisting

We’d like to inform you that Hatoful Boyfriend, Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star and Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star - Collector's Pack will be delisted from our catalog Thursday, November 18th, 2 PM UTC. Apologies for the short notice.

For everyone who purchased the title prior to delisting, it will remain in their GOG library.

GOG's Black Friday Sale w/ 3000+ Games on sale:
https://www.gog.com/
7TOm.gif

I'm considering buying the game Dicey Dungeons from GOG, but it's cheaper on itch.io. Any reason why I should pay $3.74 instead of $2.99?
itch.io takes a default 10% cut of sales, which developers can increase if they like. The max proceeds the developer will get from your purchase there is $2.69.

I think GOG still takes a 30% cut, so in that case the developer would receive $2.62. GOG lost $1.14 million last quarter, so maybe you're feeling generous and want to help them.

In conclusion, just use your Steam wallet funds and buy it on Steam.

Check your emails.  I got one with a code for a discount on the Dead Age 1 & 2 bundle that brought the price down to $3.59.  And like a zombie in the games, I bit.

Check your emails. I got one with a code for a discount on the Dead Age 1 & 2 bundle that brought the price down to $3.59. And like a zombie in the games, I bit.
Yup, I bought this bundle last night too, since I was missing Dead Age 2.

I got Dead Age 1 on Steam already.

But to have both Dead Age 1 & 2 on GOG and DRM-FREE worked for me, for that kind of cheap $.

Nice catch. I hate though that they make you buy the game solo and that I can't add it to my cart. Thus I have to do multiple transactions.

What is GOG is it another steam and epic store? If so I'm ready for more free games I probably cant play.
It’s basically worse Steam whose main selling schtick is DRM-free, though they seem to be willing to let a few bits of DRM here and there slide these days. They used to focus entirely on old games, but that hasn’t been a big focus for years, and a lot of those games got added to Steam in the end, so the DRM thing is the big differentiator now.

It’s basically worse Steam whose main selling schtick is DRM-free, though they seem to be willing to let a few bits of DRM here and there slide these days. They used to focus entirely on old games, but that hasn’t been a big focus for years, and a lot of those games got added to Steam in the end, so the DRM thing is the big differentiator now.
They do still have a few games that aren't listed elsewhere - I picked up SWAT 4 during this sale which wasn't on steam for some reason, but like you said that's far a few between. Seems to generally just be the DRM factor as the differentiator

They do still have a few games that aren't listed elsewhere - I picked up SWAT 4 during this sale which wasn't on steam for some reason, but like you said that's far a few between. Seems to generally just be the DRM factor as the differentiator
Ok so each store has different games like console exclusive but store exclusives.

Games that tend to be on GOG but not Steam are usually older titles as GOG actually stands for 'Good Old Games.'  They abandoned that several years ago, though.  The only real 'exclusivity' issue for PC started cropping up with EPIC.

Saw Huniepop for $.99 (90% off) for the next few days as part of gog's flash deals.  I just found that amusing.  also the sequel is $14

Free GOG key for I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

C6F87-BF9C6-9??E1-53C35

?? = abbreviation for anime where Goku is the main character

bread's done
Back