Going to a Halo 2 release party at your local store? Share your stories here....

mall.jpg

mall2.jpg

My EB in redmond, wa had 1500+ preorders and when I left at 8, there were about 75 people in line, waiting for the store to reopen at 11 or 12 or whenever it was

Unfortunatly I didn't think of bringing a camera until I go there. Line was huge at Ebgames, i'm guessing 150-200 people, keep in mind this was at 11:20. Cold as crap outside to boot. I'll give them credit, once 12 rolled around they processed the lines pretty fast, I got in by about 12:40 and quickly opened my package up with my numb fingers to make sure I wasn't missing a disc or something.

The crowd was pretty laid back, people were talking about how awesome the first game was and other gaming talk. Overall not a bad way to spend the night if you didn't have anywhere to be in the morning. Oh and only thing Eb gave out was free candy and Halo merchandise related coupons.

I got to EB at around 11. There were 4 people there. At 12, there was maybe 75-100. The super cunt wasnt there, but there was another lame as beeotch there. You have to have a number to come into the store. They didnt give away a damn thing. BUT, tonight only, I could get teh $50 halo headset for $40 after mail in gift voucher :roll: Whatever though. I do agree that is was lame to have both discs stacked together. What else. Oh ya, I played through some of the first level. I like it. Cant wait to take it on live. So ya, Im off to bed now.

200 people were in line at Gamestop. Then they made two lines, one long on that got to go first for people who paid in full the "VIP" line and the other for people who just reserved. Looking at waiting two hours for everyone else to get theres, I went to Wal Mart and go tmy Collectors Edition for 49 and was out in 5 minutes.

Just got back. I was number 104 (and 105, I figured if I had two copies on reserve I needed two spots.. I was wrong :p).

I was supposed to go "register" at 9PM. I showed up at 8:45 and they had already begun. As stated above, I got 104. I showed up at 10:45.. the line was supposed to start at 11. I txt msg'ed a few people to pass the time.. got in, got the game, and left. There was at least 500 people. It was insane.

On a side note, the employees were dressed as army guys (sorta).. camo pants, black XBox shirts, Halo 2 hats, and, in a stroke of what I thought was pure genius, were using the Halo headsets like they were actually talking to each other. Great stuff. They gave away shirts, games, etc.. didn't get anything, but they gave everyone a card for a free year of XBN. Pretty nice. I would've gotten the guide, but I had $12 on me, and after the 20% or whatever off, it would've been 13.95.. so.. got the game (LE), got one for my cousin, and a free year of XBN. Not bad.

There was a snake in the parking lot. Really random. Really huge snake, though. Kinda scary. Oh well. I'm not too hyped about this game. I haven't read much on it, but I enjoyed the first Halo and the multiplayer. I know this one has dual weilding, warthogs with rocket launchers, online play, and.. that's about it. So yeah. Go me for staying away from spoilers!

Too bad that the EB here ditched the idea of the fog machines. That was an awesome idea.

Just picked up Halo2 at the Gamecrazy on Central past Belmont in Chicago and it was pretty mundane. Played some Halo 1 to get warmed up and then picked up H2 when it was 12:08 and went home. Unfortunately, I have work to do still and won't be able to play till morning :whistle2:( I'd ditch like a lot of ppl are saying but when you freelance you gotta pay da bills and there's no such thing as paid time off :whistle2:(

I went to gamestop , I'll never buy anything from them again. they did the 2 line garbage , of course the prepaid "vip"line was twice as long as the reserve line... and was serveced twice as fast...
I cant believe the way they did this it was unprofessional. everyone was kept track of by some receipt with their name on it in a shoebox...
not even in alphabetical order... it was like a bunch of little kids looking through hundreds of pokemon cards frantically. they handed out warm beverages.
I got there at 11:30 when they supposedly opened the doors , I left a 1:15 . wtf.
I'm gonna get halo2 at circuit city and return this one. bastards

Just got back from ebgame, more then 70+ ppls were waiting (n more are comming) to get inside ebgame to get their hand on a copy, the first person that got there start waiting at 7:30pm....

[quote name='thermal']I went to gamestop , I'll never buy anything from them again. they did the 2 line garbage , of course the prepaid "vip"line was twice as long as the reserve line... and was serveced twice as fast...
I cant believe the way they did this it was unprofessional. everyone was kept track of by some receipt with their name on it in a shoebox...
not even in alphabetical order... it was like a bunch of little kids looking through hundreds of pokemon cards frantically. they handed out warm beverages.
I got there at 11:30 when they supposedly opened the doors , I left a 1:15 . wtf.
I'm gonna get halo2 at circuit city and return this one. bastards[/quote]

..the hell's the point of returning it and buying another one when you have it?

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='thermal']I went to gamestop , I'll never buy anything from them again. they did the 2 line garbage , of course the prepaid "vip"line was twice as long as the reserve line... and was serveced twice as fast...
I'm gonna get halo2 at circuit city and return this one. bastards[/quote]

..the hell's the point of returning it and buying another one when you have it?[/quote]

I guess he wants to "stick it" to GS. 1 copy less sold. But they don't care, it'll get snatched up 2 minutes later.

i just got home from my gamestop. there was roughly 750 people around, 325 in both line. at my gamestop the preordered only line moved twice as fast as the VIPS. i got there at 10:30, they had raffles, and trivia and crap. the first guy out with halo 2 was escourted by police.

it was kinda lame, and now its 1 and i have work at 5, i have no time to play it anyway. good night.

Well for once I'm browsing online and planning on going to bed soon. So I'll post my little tidbit.

I work at Wal-Mart, and I was doing a 2-11 shift. My department manager mentioned we won't be able to sell Halo 2 till 7am the next day (wtf?) and he actually tried selling it one day early but the system wouldn't let him. Anyways I ended up talking to an assistant manager to get the game out on the floor by midnight. I had great success and ended up waiting an hour after my shift to get my hands on a copy, the only problem was our Wal-Mart only ordered 30 (!) copies, and we were getting a TON of calls. I'm going to feel sorry for the people who didn't pre-order this game (I honestly got extremely lucky, we sold out of our copies in less than an hour) because the demand is HUGE. Pre-order wise and hype wise I believe this game may outsell GTA San Andreas.

Well, I tried to go to sleep as I have to be up at 7, but it isn't happening. When we opened the doors at midnight, we had about a hundred people in line. It went fast, and after the rush was over, we cracked open a copy and started playing on the rented 51-inch TV. Great fun, gonna jump on Live in the morning.

i went to gamerush at about 11pm and there were about 30 people inside. they had already started the tournament, which bummed me out since i thought it would start between 12 to 2am. i got some free drinks and pizza, bought 4 used games for less than $10 apiece, and walked out with halo 2 in my hands at about 20 past midnight. all together, it was pretty chill. the only real complaint i had (which seems like it's a pretty common one) is that the preorder line moved at a pace of about 1 person for every 2 minutes! the people who didn't preorder were in and out of gamerush quick! ah well, not a big deal. i'm happy with all that i got. plus i received the coupon book which has 3 or 4 really nice deals. :)

I got my copy at Gamestop. I got in line at about 12:30 due to the MNF game being so close. I don't know what was up with the "VIP" line, but I don't understand why people who only put 5 dollars down got to wait in the shorter line which took about 5 minutes where mine took an hour to get since I prepaid. A lot of people were pissed. I wouldn't have got my game there, but I had reserved it before the local EB Games opened.

Oh, and the girl who checked me out was hot. I think she was a ringer...

Oh, and it seems that someone took that CAG'ers idea about a benefit tournament and ran with it. Someone was passing out fliers to the people in line about a Halo 2 tournament with all the proceeds going to St. Jude Children's Hospital.

The flier basically says that the event will be played via projectors and networked, FFA and Four Man teams, entry is $10 per person, prizes will be rewarded for top ranking players, food and drinks will also be available, it says to contact either [email protected], or visit www.vfxdesign.net/halo2

I'm assuming this will be at MTSU, which is in Middle Tennessee.

When I got to Gamecrazy they were finishing up a Halo tourney. The loser, some 15 year old fat, bald kid started bitching when he lost about the winner looking at his screen. He then goes "I play the best Halo players in the world, BRO, so I know you can't beat me fairly!". It was quite funny. I was glad the kid was fat, he deserves to die an early death from heart disease.

[quote name='mmn']When I got to Gamecrazy they were finishing up a Halo tourney. The loser, some 15 year old fat, bald kid started bitching when he lost about the winner looking at his screen. He then goes "I play the best Halo players in the world, BRO, so I know you can't beat me fairly!". It was quite funny. I was glad the kid was fat, he deserves to die an early death from heart disease.[/quote]

BRO! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't preorder and went out at 12 just to see what the lines were like. Gamestop had probably 200+ people in line so I drove across town to EB and there was no line! Walked right in and got a copy!!!

Well, I went to the Best Buy on North Avenue in Chicago, I got there at about 11:45 pm. There were over 500 people there!...

The local radio station, Q101, were there giving out posters and prizes. They gave out 2 Xbox Live Starter Kits and 1 giant Master Chief statue! I got there late, so, I couldn't put my name in the raffle...:cry:

The radio station, counted down the last 10 seconds, before midnight, then said, Halo 2 is officially on sale! People were let inside only a few at a time. As people were leaving in their cars, a lot of them were flashing copies of Halo 2 Limited Edition, at the crowd as they drove by, many of us chuckled. One guy had his window rolled down and screamed, "I got the last copy of the Limited Edition"! Everyone started laughing!...

A few assholes, bought many copies of the Limited Edition, and were trying to sell them to the crowd for $100, a piece! They said not many copies of the Limited Edition were left, and it's really chilly outside, so why wait? But many in the crowd just said, that's not true...there are many copies left...will take our chances. I do believe, one or two guys at the back of the line did pay $100 for a copy of the Limited Edition!...:shock:

Well, after 1 hour and a half, waiting in the cold, I finally get inside Best Buy! I walked up to the table were they had Halo 2, and I couldn't believe there were so many copies of the Limited Edition! There was enough for everyone outside and then some! I didn't like that people who pre-ordered Halo 2, had to wait in line then were told to go and stand in another line at the customer service area? We had to wait an additional 15 minutes, before leaving the store!...

I didn't get home until 2:07 am! All in all, I really had a great time. I was excited, and the crowd was very energetic. Most importantly, I got my copy of Halo 2 Limited Edition...
:D

[quote name='Scorch']Hah. The LE has been so overproduced that it'll probably become more common than the normal version.[/quote]

It already is to my knowledge. My store recieved literally twice as many LEs than Normals.

Ok, my friend and I decided to go out and do this. First stop was to Buffalo Wild Sings to watch some Monday Night Football and drink some beers and get some boneless Buffalo wings...mmmmm.

So, after 3 23oz beers and the wings we headed over to GameRush.

My assesment:
1. WASTE OF TIME!!!! There was only like 15-20 people there....I could've just picked my game up today and saved myself some sleep. I had mine Pre-Ordered, he did not....he got his just as easy there. He also got the LE....Pre-Order my ass

2. No Giveaways, nothing special....besides the lame coupon book....some people may like that trade 4 or 5 deals.

3. There are a lot of weird people that are consumed by video games. I mean I overheard people talking about how they would be if they were in games...and they were older than me (I'm 25). I mean I like games and all....but I'm not consumed by them.

So, overall....glad I got Halo 2 LE....but I should've just slept

Did anyone else who went to EB get #1? Basically there was a lot of people, me and the assistant manager went down to target and got chips and salsa. Then they system linked Halo. It was actually quite fun.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I got a call from GameStop, a recorded message stating that the following "Halo will be available tonight at midnight, if you dont pick up your copy within 48 hours, we will not be able to hold your copy after tthat since it is in such high demand....." WTF! Isnt this why we preorder shit, so that its guaranteed to be there when we pick it up. I'm currently in Chicago, and I wont be able to pick it up there, but I preorderd another copy at BB here and I'll be picking up tomorrow.....Stupid Gamestop, when I get back I better get my $ back.[/quote]

Did you pay in full? Or just put down $5... If you paid in full then I would say WTF...If you just put down $5... tough luck.

After reading alot of these, I am glad I went to bed and got some sleep. Now I will be fresh to play tonight.

[quote name='mmn']When I got to Gamecrazy they were finishing up a Halo tourney. The loser, some 15 year old fat, bald kid started bitching when he lost about the winner looking at his screen. He then goes "I play the best Halo players in the world, BRO, so I know you can't beat me fairly!". It was quite funny. I was glad the kid was fat, he deserves to die an early death from heart disease.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny stuff! :p :p :p

Anybody buy Halo 2 yet from a regular store (Walmart, etc.)? If so, are there plenty of copies?

By midnight last night, at the Silver Spring, MD EB there were easily 200 people in line. 2 women: one elderly, one maybe 11 or 12. It's not surprising or anything, just kind of funny.

So the midnight opening at EB in Huebner Oaks was a bang up event. We had about 375 people there for most of the night. We gave out tons of free pizza, tons of free sodas, prize packs with copies of Halo 2, and tons of other games and Xbox accessories. We had the local newspaper and one of the local news stations there covering the event and we got interviews with both to jock the site.

My Gamestop was actually having a Halo 2 party that started at 10 p.m. It was pretty cool, but I got owned in the first round and was already eliminated.

They rented two big-ass tvs, but they were terrible. The screens were so dark you could barely even see what you were doing. Especially if you were in a shadow.

What was strange was that they had all the doors locked and most of the store blocked off. They wouldn't even let you look around very much.

Also, they had a cop there to supervise the event. I guess they thought some guys might go Japanese on someone and steal their H2 LE when they were walking out with it or something.

There were only about 30 to 40 people there, which was good, but then their second register went down, so they had to process everyone with the single register. Terrible.

They did give away some pretty nice stuff like a Retro Lexicon controller, some PC games and other random stuff. They were asking really lame Halo questions and the fanboys pretty much got everything.

What scared me the most was how many freakin' geeks were there. I looked at them and felt sorry for them that they were so hooked on this game and they obviously would never have a chance with a woman. Then I realized that I was there right along with them, and I began to worry that I was just like them, too. These guys were total turds though.

Waited about 20 Minutes in Line at the local gamestop.

There was about 100 people there in total. They had food and drinks and also rented two big screen tvs, linked up two xboxes and had death match going on after you grabbed your copy.

Me and a friend played two games of Death match with a few people on the Ivory Tower.

Found the Covenant sword . . . Man that is just evil :twisted:

After that came home opened up the LE checked out the contents and crashed out.

Strange... I woke up this morning, and played... Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal... my Halo 2 LE is STILL sealed... my guide is STILL sealed... my T-shirt is STILL sealed... am I just oblivious or what? :shock:

[quote name='Fatesealer']Strange... I woke up this morning, and played... Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal... my Halo 2 LE is STILL sealed... my guide is STILL sealed... my T-shirt is STILL sealed... am I just oblivious or what? :shock:[/quote]

I loved the Ratchet and Clank commercials. Ahhhh ... good times.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Fatesealer']Strange... I woke up this morning, and played... Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal... my Halo 2 LE is STILL sealed... my guide is STILL sealed... my T-shirt is STILL sealed... am I just oblivious or what? :shock:[/quote]

I loved the Ratchet and Clank commercials. Ahhhh ... good times.[/quote]

Sorry for the detour, but the commercial for UYA is pretty much how the game will be when you enter Challenge mode... you're pretty much gunning it all the way...

at my eb we had about 100 or so people waiting around 11 when i got there. it was pretty cool....we gave away some games...a couple shirts...but it was pretty pacled none the less. fun experience....but tiring as well

My Eb screwed the pooch IMO. We had 200 people and they were doing place in line with some flyers. What made me mad is even though it was smart to speed things up is they were letting people pay for it beforehand. Why it made me mad was that I wasted my time by preordering as doing that didn't let me get the game any faster. I waited over an hour to get my game and they were doing no giveaways or tournaments, I would have been happier if I had just bought it at Walmart and not have had to wait. The one highlight is someone crashed the promo Halo 2 mini bike and totaled it. Luckily they were not hurt

my local gamerush had like 50 people, I showed up like 15 min before 12 and there were like 20 poeple infront of me. They didn't have the coupon book other gamerush's had & it seems they didn't have any game specials. They only had 16 extra copies of halo 2 for the people who didn't reserve & only 2 extra LE copies. I got out of there by like 12:15.

They gave away some shirts, hats, line yards and every standup in the store. Someone got the MK:deception one that was motorized. This is what I got

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=802

Played some XBL vs some CAGs and then went to bed.

I went to one at my local Blockbuster. It started at 9:00 and the plan was to play Halo till the Halo 2 came out at 12:00. Damn, did I own some motherfuckers. Out of 16 games I played with numbers of ppl ranging from 4 to 16, I won 12, placed second in 2, and placed something like last in the other two.

[quote name='crazytalkx'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='Kaijufan']I think Ill act like a sane person and wait until tomarrow.[/quote]

Translation : My mommy said she wouldn't wake up at midnight and take me, so I'll ask her to take me in the morning.[/quote]

BURN!!! :hot:[/quote]
Not really, because Im 18 and could have gone to a midnight sale if I wanted to.

Things went smoothly for the most part at my EB with regards to getting in and out with my pre-paid purchase, but the way they did the prizes was utterly retarded. They raffled off an Xbox and some games by putting the names of everyone who pre-ordered into a box. Sure enough, the Xbox and two of the three games were drawn names of people not there....and they refused to redraw. Now, I for one never win raffles and didn't care if I did or not, but those prizes should have gone to people who went to the midnight release and noone else. Giving it to some asshat too lazy or unable to come to the event was upsetting to the crowd to say the least. The whole point of going to the midnight release was to get it first, the ambiance, and the bonuses/prizes. On top of that, they orderd pizza way early at like 9:30 or so and by the time I got there at 10:15 it was already long gone even though I was the 25th person there (117 or so showed up by midnight). Not enough pizza and far too early. So yeah, my EB really screwed the pooch on this one.

[quote name='Fatesealer']You know, someone had the gall to ask (during this, a MICROSOFT EVENT) if the EB had any PSTwo's left...[/quote]

The dastard!

bread's done
Back