Good age to move out?

[quote name='depascal22']One month after you graduate from high school. Chicks dig guys with their own pad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, until they realize how broke their guy is ;)

Right now I'm thinking about getting a savings account and saving up some money for about 2 years and then moving out.
It's not because my parents are strict or anything, they're pretty alright, but I just really want a place of my own to, you know, party and stuff...
Though I guess that's pretty hard when you're broke...
Also, I could never live on ramen. Ekk.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Right now I'm thinking about getting a savings account and saving up some money for about 2 years and then moving out.
It's not because my parents are strict or anything, they're pretty alright, but I just really want a place of my own to, you know, party and stuff...
Also, I could never live on ramen. Ekk.[/quote]

nah, have when a friend moves out you can just party at their place. you dont want to have a place that becomes "the house". while i was going to school my apartment was "the house" and it was terrible. people always on the couches, people just showing up without calling, the house never stayed clean, extra dishes, food mysteriously being eaten, etc etc. plus you dont want to wake up in the morning to go drop a duece only to find out your buddy is already in there, thats the worst of all.

Right now I'm thinking about getting a savings account and saving up some money for about 2 years and then moving out.
Also, I could never live on ramen. Ekk.

After I was done with college I moved back in for a while, saved up money and then put a down payment down on my first house (this was about a yr. span). It may not be the "cool" thing to do, but you truly will be thankful you did it a bit later on.

I since have sold that one and bought another and am now selling this one (need a bigger one for the family now). It's not that I am doing it as a career, but I have made 30,000 in the span of 3 yrs, just by selling that first house and now this one. I couldn't have done that if I hadn't moved back in to my parents after college and saved up for a down payment.

[quote name='vietgurl']I'd probablys ay around 25-27. Not only would you be out of college, your financial situation shoudl be much more stable by then and you should hopefully have a stable job. In addition, this also gives you a few years to pay off any student loans you may have and to save up to get your own place (even if you rent, you probably dont' wanna end up sleeping on the floor...)

Too bad I moved out at 18.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'd say, if you graduate at ~22, maybe even 23-24 if you're really financially secure.

I'm 22, and I'll be graduating in the fall. Moving out is not far on the horizon for me, but it just doesn't make sense to do so until I've achieved at least some level of financial stability. I know a lot of people who moved out (or were kicked out) at age 18, only to arrive home again two or three years later completely broke.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']You bought a HOUSE at the age of 19? :hot:[/QUOTE]

My guess is he was backed up by his folks, but if not, nice work.

I moved away for college at 18. I am now 21 and I graduated in May and am now back living with my family. I basicly have no money because I didnt have a job during college, I had an internship but I spent most that money on gas and movies. I will live with them until I can find a fulltime job and earn enough money to get an apartment.

[quote name='sailorchrono']How did everyone who move out at like 18-19 support themselves? I'm 20 and currently still live at home, but I am DYING to move out. However, it's hard enough paying for school (and I work full time!!). Any suggestions? :(

And yes, I *really* have to move out. My mom and I don't get along at all since my father passed away.[/quote]

I was thinking that to...

Damn, I been working Fulltime + overtime and I rarely have spending money available... between a GF, Car Trouble, gas, insurance, eye care and other things, I barely have enough money to buy a game... let alone pay for a fricken place on top of all that... i'd probably die.

Parents must have given all the 18 movers lots of money, or they have student loans...

I'm 17 and just moved into my apartment. Mostly decided to move out because my CC is over the bridge and I don't want to pay tolls + gas. My tuition is payed for by a basketball scholarship. I have a 1 bed + 1 bath for 550, then add another 200 including utilities.

If you want my advice, I got a job when I was 16 and worked my ass off, and made enough money to have an apartment for a year until I switch over to ASU. If you get an apartment expect to spend 1k a month on rent,utilities,food,gas prices, luxury items, and some money in case of emergencies.

I didn't get any help from my parents when I moved out. I got a decent job all on my own and supported myself, lived with a girlfriend. And yeah, student loans. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't have student loans.

I've dropped out of college since, but am trying to go back, and am doing great living by myself right now. You don't have to graduate from college to support yourself, I kind of wonder if you guys are pampered.

I moved out at 21, but I really only lived there between semesters of college after age 18. Honestly, I wish my parents lived closer to where I work now, because I would love to stay rent-free for a couple years to save up for a house and pay off my student loans. My rent and utilities run me almost $1300 a month, for a small one-bedroom. fucking ouch (it is a great location, though).
Move out during college, and if at all possible, move back in after for a year or two. To me, that's a pretty ideal set-up.

I joined the Air Force one month after I graduated from high school. They give you a place to stay while you work your ass off for the next 4 years. I was able to walk away after 4 years with enough job skills to get a nice job that paid the rent and put some extra money in my pocket. This was all in peacetime and while the bonuses are much much bigger, there's a chance you'll get your ass sent home in a pine box.

You have to be really careful with roommates. I find most of the time ou don't know what you are getting util it's too late. I have gone through 4 roommates and only 1 has been an all around good roommate. I had a pill popping psycho, a drunk, a person with an little self awareness and intense bitchy-ness and a person who really likes hello Kitty (she was the good one). So, even if they are your friends, be careful.

[quote name='jetsetradio21']The cheapest I've found around a city in Connecticut has been around $900 a month in a very undesirable neighborhood! WTF[/quote]

Thats what happens when you live on the east coast. Cost of living is fuck ed up.

There's a difference between moving out and no longer receiving any support from your parents. If you're going to college full time, it's unlikely that you'll be able to fully support yourself. So the answer to when a good age to move out is "it depends on when you're able to."

18 is probably a good age, but I wouldn't do it if you're just going to be putting yourself in debt. If your parents are able/willing to help you out, though, I say go for it.

I moved out at 18 for college, and moved back in last year (5 years later). Ironically, my parents are now in a tighter situation, so they asked me to stay with them and help out for a bit.

Housing is ridiculously expensive around here, so it's real common for people to come back after college and live with their folks for a few years until they're financially secure.

bread's done
Back