Good Bye Lik-Sang, you will be missed - Lik-Sang Closes Down Shop

I wish they could afford to fight it.. they should have at the most asked them to stop selling the product(s) in question. Give me a break, Sony should fix its price point at the European import price of the hardware. That's just poor economics on the part of Sony.

Megacorps.. the downfall of civilization. This must have been hurting Sony U.K. quarterly reports or something. I'm also willing to bet that there was a hardware shortage at launch, and customers were forced to obtain the product via alternative means.. once again, Sony's fault.

I have a feeling that many more cases such as these are going to pop up in the coming years.. not just for games, but consumer electronics across the board.

[quote name='Tybee']This is true. But Samsung is better than both (depending on the model).[/quote] Samsung is not better than Sony unless you're trying to compare high end samsungs to lower end Sony's.

Anyway, that sucks for Lik-Sang, but I've never ordered from them before and never planed to since I could've ordered their stuff cheaper somewhere else. So this doesn't hurt me at all.

[quote name='KaneRobot']And when they eventually bring Play-Asia down, will people come up with reasons why THAT was an acceptable thing as well? It's "too expensive?" So fucking what? People that have the money will pay for the product, especially if it is sold out at Play-Asia or whatever. It's not like the price differences were worth bitching about most of the time anyway.

Christ, I'm ashamed to be a part of this community, seeing people defending Sony on something like this. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Only they probably won't go after Play-Asia, because I think when Sony said "we don't want you doing this..." PA listened and doesn't sell PSPs or the like to the EU anymore and they haven't for sometime now IIRC.

I respect Lik-Sang for fighting Sony on somehting they knew they probably couldn't win, and it's unfortunate they became the legal precedent whipping boy, but even after they were deep in legal action they continuined to violate Sony's wishes by doing somehting like pre-ordering PS3s to the EU. Plus they'd been through this in 2002 when they were taken to court for selling mod chips (admittedly that's different though). Still, it's like asking for a fight with the biggest bully in school and going down in one punch when you get your wish. Perhaps had they said "Okay we aren't going to do this anymore, you guys are right", even if they didn't believe it, maybe (and I mean maybe, as Sony could crush them either way I guess) they'd still be around today. I'm not saying Sony is totoally in the right here, don't get me wrong, I actually think you the customer should be able to buy whatever so long as you are informed about possible hazards (don't know if they did that). However it's the old issue of flight or fight. Do you go down fighting a battle you think is just today or back away to live for another day?

Edit: Come to think of it, this whole going out of business thing maybe alot like what happened in 2002. I remember they shut down for like a month only to come back (not selling mod chips anymore obviously). I can't remember if they ever said "going out of business" though during that hiatus, probably not, just a thought though.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What kills me the most is that Sony makes money off Lik-Sang selling Sony products. Talk about a loss.[/QUOTE]

They did the same thing to BLEEM!

Sony are complete idiots.

I wouldn't cry too many tears of anguish just as of yet...I'm not to sure how enforceable a ruling in a British court can be against a HK company nor have I seen what the amount of the claim against Lik-Sang...at a basic level, Sony could cut off their supply of games, although in all likelihood, they could get them at a higher cost from distributors. I can't see how this would completely wreck their business, since they must both have sizable non-EU sales and non-PSP/PS2 sales. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see something like Likk-Sanngg.com pop up in a few days being run by relatives of Lik-Sang's owners and just happens to hire up all of Lik-Sang's laid off employees.

But that said, if I was thinking about ordering something from Play_asia, I'd do it now...not that Sony will shut them down, more for that that Play-asia doesn't have much competition at the moment.

fuck Sony!

I'm starting a drive today to mail back Sony's exploding laptop batteries to their corporate headquarters. Who's with me?

...just to comply with the recall, of course.

obviously sony just doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks. as long as 5 million copies of GTA 6 and madden 2038 are sold, they think they can get away with anything.

keep in mind, too, that the majority of people out there have never even imported a game, let alone heard of lik-sang. these are the same types that won't watch subtitled foreign movies because they don't want to "read".

on the brighter side, I'm guessing it won't be long before a lik-sang lookalike comes along, with the same employees, pricing, etc... lik-sang as a company may be done, but the people will be back.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Anyway, that sucks for Lik-Sang, but I've never ordered from them before and never planed to since I could've ordered their stuff cheaper somewhere else. So this doesn't hurt me at all.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does.

I liked it better when large corps. like Sony would sue somebody and lose (i.e. Nintendo vs. Blockbuster) then the precedent that keeps getting set by all these Sony suits (i.e. bleem, and their first incursion against Lik-sang).

The really pathetic part of this is that Sony's case against Lik Sang relied upon the court accepting that power supplies labeled as suitable for use around the world, even carrying the CE logo, would not meet the standards when put to the test.

This means the power supply that came with my laptop and is labeled for use in Europe under the same standard as the PSP power supply, cannot be trusted to work under actual European conditions.

Interesting.

By Sony's own claim, their power supplies are defective as labeled.

Any class action lawyers paying attention to this?

Clarysse added that the blame for the closure rests squarely on Sony's shoulders. "Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

LoL talk about getting all dramatic lik Sang ;)

But yeah Sony are assholes, is anyone supprised? I just love some of the posts on the liksang page though of pure naive nonsenseness telling them to fight back.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I love how they made Sony look like total douchebags on their way out the door by pointing out all the people from Sony who got their Japanese PSP's from lik-sang when they came out.[/quote]

Exactly. Hypocritical pieces of shit. Absolutely no damn way I'm buying a PS3 now. Nor will I buy another sony product ever again.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']how 'bout a more useful thread title :D[/QUOTE]

like... good bye lik-sing you were too expensive and will not be missed

;)

[quote name='soulwish2003']like... good bye lik-sing you were too expensive and will not be missed

;)[/quote]

You didnt see what it was before. It was something like, Thanks sony...

and that was it.

like... good bye lik-sing you were too expensive and will not be missed
Those of you spouting crap like this and apologizing for Sony are missing the point. It's not Lik-Sang going out of business that's the problem, it's the precedent being set by the associated court cases.

Go ahead and bury your head in the sand and say it doesn't affect you until the places you DO order from are put out of business and importing turns into an Ebay-only market. Then watch Sony start pressuring Ebay...

won't miss Lik-sang...too damn expensive, but Sony really is really raking in the bad PR right before launch. pretty lame to shut out a customer like that.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I was tempted to boycott them before for various things, but I'm definitely boycotting Sony now.[/QUOTE]

lol I'm sure sony really cares

I purchased Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 from them last year. They were friendly and very fast. Sad to see they have to shut down. I don't know why everyone is complaining about their prices. They always seemed on par with Play-Asia. (And I saw way more cheap "on sale" games on Lik-Sang.)

[quote name='botticus']Hmm... I should probably order Ouendan before YesAsia and Play-Asia get killed next.[/quote]

If that happens, I'm throwing my PS2 out of the window! :bomb:

Sorry mods. I don't know where this is supposed to go...Please move if necessary. My friend received this email and play asia could be the next target of Sony or microsoft....

Dear valued customer,

unfortunately, Lik Sang is forced to close its virtual doors for good. This
comes as a consequence of the several legal actions brought on us by Sony.
For more information on the situation, please point your browser to the
following link:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Therefore, as soon as humanly possible, we will cancel all existing orders,
including yours, and issue refunds where necessary.

Please note that it may take anywhere from a few days up to a week or two
for refunds to be processed by PayPal, your bank or your credit card
company, so please don't worry if you don't see it immediately on your
balance statement. You can rest assured that Lik-Sang is monitoring the
situation closely with all involved parties. No single customer will be
caught in the crossfire of this ordeal.

We are sorry to have to go, and we wish to thank you sincerely your support
over the past decade.

Warm regards and a big THANK YOU from the entire Hong Kong crew.

Team Lik-Sang

[quote name='soulwish2003']like... good bye lik-sing you were too expensive and will not be missed

;)[/QUOTE]

Lik-sang is not the only place that imported Sony products. Sony knows that their tactics work, and they'll target the next importing sites. With importing sites getting less competitions, you can see that prices will most likely rise. Basic economics. This will affect the entire gaming industry as a whole. So try not to be so self-centered on issues like this, ok?

;)

In reality, it is illegal to import games. A shop by my house got in trouble for selling Japanese games and is now out of business. It was a cool site but Sony had every right to do it.

[quote name='Apossum']won't miss Lik-sang...too damn expensive, but Sony really is really raking in the bad PR right before launch. pretty lame to shut out a customer like that.[/QUOTE]

Your average joe, which is what Sony targets, what know what the hell a Lik-Sang even is... this just affects the 2% of the game buying population who probably weren't getting a PS3 at launch anyways.

Sure, it's bad PR for people like us who are really into games, but the other 98% of people it won't affect.

This is a kind of shitty thing, yes, but it's not anything that will have an impact on your average US consumers choice on buying a PS3 or any other Sony product.

[quote name='the3rdkey']In reality, it is illegal to import games. A shop by my house got in trouble for selling Japanese games and is now out of business. It was a cool site but Sony had every right to do it.[/QUOTE]

What? What? Where does this legal knowledge come from? I assume you mean it's illegal to do so in the U.S.?

You're wrong.

[quote name='Roufuss']Your average joe, which is what Sony targets, what know what the hell a Lik-Sang even is... this just affects the 2% of the game buying population who probably weren't getting a PS3 at launch anyways.

Sure, it's bad PR for people like us who are really into games, but the other 98% of people it won't affect.[/quote]I'm seeing it completely differently here, personally. The only people who really care about this are the really hardcore gamers, which I do agree with you on, but I think these the ones that Sony is going to need on their side once the initial shipments of the PS3 sell and Sony needs to keep the train rolling with purchases and positive word of mouth. Importing isn't cheap, so I'd say it's reasonable to assume that a good percentage of importers -- especially Lik-Sang customers -- have the dough to be dropping at or near launch.

I'm probably overestimating both Lik-Sang's market and the power of the internet, but it still doesn't make sense to me that Sony would alienate some of the potentially biggest spenders and biggest fanboys.

Microsoft should buy the site and take down all the Sony related products. Then call it Microsoft's Lik-Sang for all you Sony Haters! Maybe the 360 will sell just yet!

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm seeing it completely differently here, personally. The only people who really care about this are the really hardcore gamers, which I do agree with you on, but I think these the ones that Sony is going to need on their side once the initial shipments of the PS3 sell and Sony needs to keep the train rolling with purchases and positive word of mouth. Importing isn't cheap, so I'd say it's reasonable to assume that a good percentage of importers -- especially Lik-Sang customers -- have the dough to be dropping at or near launch.

I'm probably overestimating both Lik-Sang's market and the power of the internet, but it still doesn't make sense to me that Sony would alienate some of the potentially biggest spenders and biggest fanboys.[/QUOTE]

I think the train will roll just fine with the casual game player though... joe's friends will come over to play on his new PS3, and they'll see how awesome it is and suddenly they'll want to get one whenever it first becomes available, because it will be the "in" thing to have. And since it probably WON'T be in stores, demand will increase... you'd be surprised at the number of people who will impulse buy a $600 machine. It will be the whole "omg, I finally found 1, I'm so lucky, I won't let this chance get away from me!"

The really hardcore gamers and importers that I personally know are into shmups and fighters and 2-D games which the PS3 isn't rolling out with at least at launch, so many of them will probably take a pass regardless. Most import gamers already have an axe to grind with Sony because they blame Sony for having to import in the first place ;)

This could quickly become the Video Game version of the music industry versus napster. I know it's not the same exact situation, but as far as community impact, they're entering dangerous territory.

I can see it now. Five years from now you will have to have sony branded ps3 Protected tvs if you want to play their games. Rootkits on tvs, that won't allow out of region, or microsoft or nintendo products.

I ordered my Soul Caliber 2 JP at release from Lik-Sang, but haven't used them since then. Regardless, this is crap.

Let me be the devil's advocate.

It pretty mush is Lik-Sang's own fault ignoring Sony's request to stop exporting PSPs to Europe. They should have known that being sued by Sony, be it you win or you lose the case, means that you dead due to the huge expenese.

I'm not saying that Sony aren't asses for taking Lik-Sang down, but they have warned them and they can take them to court (note I siaid take to court, not stop them importing).

If lik-sangf would have followed Sony's request, like Play-Asia, they'd probably still be around. Sony Japanese seem to be ok with importing at the moment though, so I doubt they'll be other problems, unless people start shiping PS3s to Europe.

So in all those movies, it's not the gangsters' fault that they mess up the small store, it's the fault of mom 'n' pop for not listening to the gangsters' demands when they asked "nicely"?

[quote name='the3rdkey']In reality, it is illegal to import games. A shop by my house got in trouble for selling Japanese games and is now out of business. It was a cool site but Sony had every right to do it.[/QUOTE]

Simply untrue in the US. I defy you to cite the law defining the situation you claim exists. Rest assured, Fry's Electronics would not offer an array of imported games for region free systems if they thought it would be a problem.

In all likelihood the store you mentioned was selling and/or installing mod chips, which is a DMCA violation and entirely distinct from the importing of software.

[quote name='eldad9']So in all those movies, it's not the gangsters' fault that they mess up the small store, it's the fault of mom 'n' pop for not listening to the gangsters' demands when they asked "nicely"?[/quote]
Not quite the same situation, since Sony has the legal rights to sue Lik-Sang. I don't know how Parallel import laws works in Europe, but I do know that it's Illegal in America.

It's also a matter of Sony cover their own asses, it's better for them to control the distrubution of potrntially dangerous hardware themselves. Not that I see the PSP blowing up or something, but still.

Yes Sony is a gangster and Lik-Sang is a small store trying to make a living in this fenced off world of ours that was once a beautiful Oyster.In this case it is called organizd crime with layers, laws, and courts Oh my?

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Yes Sony is a gangster and Lik-Sang is a small store trying to make a living in this fenced off world of ours that was once a beautiful Oyster.In this case it is called organizd crime with layers, laws, and courts Oh my?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Legal rights to sue...?

Pretty much anybody can sue everybody for anything. Doesn't mean the case has merit - legally (which it probably did, here) or morally (which this one did not).

And again: it's really not illegal.

I don't get the rest of your argument. If Sony makes an unsafe products, it's wrong to sell it to consumers indirectly, but it's fine to sell it directly?

From now on, I'm going to treat any Sony product as unsafe.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I've never ordered from Lik-Sang before, but I have from Play Asia, NCSX, and other such sites. This simply sets a precedent for the whole importing industry. Sony can go fuck themselves.[/quote]

Agreed. That Sony can so easily shut down an importer regardless of how expensive or cheap they are makes me very concerned. Sony can go have intercourse with themselves over this.

[quote name='Genocidal']
I'm probably overestimating both Lik-Sang's market and the power of the internet, but it still doesn't make sense to me that Sony would alienate some of the potentially biggest spenders and biggest fanboys.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Sony's alienating the biggest spenders. The hardcore crowd is maybe 5% of the people that buy the system, but considering that all the other 95% buy is Madden and GTA (so 1 or 2 games a year), that 5% is pretty damn important. That's the segment willing to pick up 20+ games a year and not even think twice about it.

As for people saying importing games is illegal... it's not. You have no way to back that statement up because you're wrong.

Wow, some of you people are morons. Imagine if you yourself made birdhouses. You are gonna sell your birdhouses in Canada in about 2 months. But some douchebag comes along, buys all your birdhouses, for $25 a pop, and then starts selling them in Canada before you yourself want to. He makes profit on shipping and "import fees". Would you not be pissed? It's the same situation.

Lik Sang was warned, they continued to do it, and they paid the price. End of story.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Wow, some of you people are morons. Imagine if you yourself made birdhouses. You are gonna sell your birdhouses in Canada in about 2 months. But some douchebag comes along, buys all your birdhouses, for $25 a pop, and then starts selling them in Canada before you yourself want to. He makes profit on shipping and "import fees". Would you not be pissed? It's the same situation.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be pissed because I sold those birdhouses to the reseller at a price that I was fine with. And it's not like the reseller is buying all the birdhouses either.

Economics 101. Hell, it's not even a college level concept.

[quote name='Mad-B-Man']Let me be the devil's advocate.

It pretty mush is Lik-Sang's own fault ignoring Sony's request to stop exporting PSPs to Europe. They should have known that being sued by Sony, be it you win or you lose the case, means that you dead due to the huge expenese.

I'm not saying that Sony aren't asses for taking Lik-Sang down, but they have warned them and they can take them to court (note I siaid take to court, not stop them importing).

If lik-sangf would have followed Sony's request, like Play-Asia, they'd probably still be around. Sony Japanese seem to be ok with importing at the moment though, so I doubt they'll be other problems, unless people start shiping PS3s to Europe.[/quote]

You are probably from the US because you don't bother. Don't think you would be so happy if you where living in Europe like me. You have an ignorant attitude.
Reminded me that I have to pay the Mafia I live in southern Italy....:roll:....Not

it's funny to see so many people bitching about this when 1/2 of them probably never ordered from the site. you people have any ideas how many small businesses MS put out of business because of their monopoly before they were sued?

bread's done
Back