Good DS games for kids?

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My cousin (8 years old) recently came to this country and I got her a DS. I am looking for games to get her. So far I got Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, Magnetica and Nintendogs. Any other games I should consider getting her? I don't want anything really complex as she hasn't played many video games before. Thanks for the help.

Professor Layton & the Curious Village. Over 100 puzzles, excellent story, graphics, and presentation. Best $30 I've spent in a long time.

I'd agree with New Super Mario Bros definitely. I thought Drawn To Life was a dud, though. It has the drawing gimmick, but the game itself is pretty much a bore. You should get her Super Princess Peach. It isn't the best Mario character game, but it's still quite good and it has Princess Peach at the helm. Kirby Squeak Squad is very good too for kids (and adults). My 6 year old loves it. Those are good starters.

Kirby Canvas Curse is still a great game. I played thru it about 5-6 times and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Sonic Rush is fun.

If you can find them for

Find out which TV shows, movies, cartoons, and toys she likes and buy games based on those. Some of the above games (like Layton) is ridiculous for 8 year olds

my nieces/nephews FIGHT over big brain acadamy...i know it seems stupid, but they love to see who can get the best score next time around.

I don't think most 8 year-olds can play Professor Layton, and even NSMB is stretching it a bit.

The Crayola game has gotten great reviews from parents here.

I would go with Kirby Squeak Squad over Canvas Curse, as it is quite a bit easier.

Animal Crossing would be perfect!

[quote name='ma']I don't think most 8 year-olds can play Professor Layton, and even NSMB is stretching it a bit.

The Crayola game has gotten great reviews from parents here.

I would go with Kirby Squeak Squad over Canvas Curse, as it is quite a bit easier.

Animal Crossing would be perfect![/QUOTE]

Animal Crossing requires a lot of reading (at least the Gamecube verison does - I haven't played the DS on yet.) That may not be an issue, though. As far as NSMB, my 6 year old plays it quite well. Even my 5 year old. No, they can't beat the game, but they have a ton of fun with it anyway. My guys just love to play the different levels. Also note that has a quite fun download-play multiplayer battle game if you have a second DS. Also lots of mini games, many of which can be multiplayer. I really think you can't go wrong with NSMB. Great game for all ages.

Well, I gave her my copy of Tetris DS. Trying to find one now would be hard.

I have tried to see what type of games she likes so I had her trying out my GameCube games (she didn't like any except for Wave Race Blue Storm on free play mode). I think even Super Monkey Ball and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat are too difficult for her. I think the only game she really enjoyed were the mini-games in NSMB.

[quote name='crunchewy']Animal Crossing requires a lot of reading (at least the Gamecube verison does - I haven't played the DS on yet.) That may not be an issue, though. As far as NSMB, my 6 year old plays it quite well. Even my 5 year old. No, they can't beat the game, but they have a ton of fun with it anyway. My guys just love to play the different levels. Also note that has a quite fun download-play multiplayer battle game if you have a second DS. Also lots of mini games, many of which can be multiplayer. I really think you can't go wrong with NSMB. Great game for all ages.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about the mini-games in NSMB. Even my 4-year-old daughter likes those. Damn, NSMB is an awesome package. I still maintain that Squeak Squad is a better platformer for kids though.

The OP said the kid was 8 years old, and I would expect they could read, which would mean Animal Crossing would be fine. But the OP also said this kid was just arriving in the country, so maybe not. Agreed that AC is not for pre-readers, obviously.

Yeah. She is from India, but spent a few years in Kenya as well. She is pretty smart and knows english, but she doesn't know it THAT well. A text heavy game is not good for her I think, though I will give Animal Crossing a try. Thanks for the help all.

Also, how is Mario and Sonic at the olympics?

[quote name='ma']I don't think most 8 year-olds can play Professor Layton, and even NSMB is stretching it a bit.[/quote]
My 9 year old plays Layton with a little help from dad every once in a while, he loves it.

And both my 9 and 6 year old play NSMB without problems. Yeah, they probably won't beat it, but they have fun all the same.

I just realized we were talking about and 8 year old new to gaming I'm gonna highly re-recommend Canvas Curse. Heck I should probably try to get my sister hook on that one. Simple Easy little reading. Warioware is a great mini game collection. What about Brain Age? I'd buy it used. From what I've read/seen Layton sounds like a grown man's type of brain teaser game. I don't know how the frustration level will work for an 8-year-old, but I don't have it so I can't speak for certain.

Phoenix Wright is HEAVY on the text but it's simple. Depends on how interested an 8 year old will be in a law simulator though.

Mario and Luigi is a tad more complicated but if it's like the first one it'll be a lot of fun.

Yeah, Layton may look friendly because of the artwork and animation but some of the puzzles can be a quite difficult.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really think you can't go wrong with NSMB. Great game for all ages.[/quote]

That and Yoshi's Island.

How about Cooking Mama or Elite Beat Agents?

[quote name='guyjr']Professor Layton & the Curious Village. Over 100 puzzles, excellent story, graphics, and presentation. Best $30 I've spent in a long time.[/quote]

This game is good, but some of the problems might involve complicated math that's over the education knowledge of an 8 year old.

New Super Mario Bros. by far.

If I could get through all the first 3 marios at age 3, I'm sure the dumbed down difficulty of NSMB will be a nice slight challenge for most kids. It's just very easy to follow considering its linearity as well, just go from the left part of the level to the right part for the most part.

bread's done
Back