Good places for a part-time job.

D

Dick Tracy

Can anyone think of any good places for part-time jobs? Preferably a little outside of the box... The ones you never think of.

I'm kind of fucking getting sick of my job, so I'm gonna start gathering ideas and recommendations.

Thanks.

One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was with Coca-Cola. We set up sites all over the county (in supermarket parking lots) and distributed samples, had a pitching cage, bungie runs, even had a videogame set-up with EA Sports tites. It was a blast. It was through a temp agency though and it was around 1998. I don't even know if they do that sort of thing anymore.

If you're able to/willing to, look into over night stuff. I do stock at Shopko on breaks, and I love it. Interesting people to work with, no customers, plus higher pay just because of the time you work.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was with Coca-Cola. We set up sites all over the county (in supermarket parking lots) and distributed samples, had a pitching cage, bungie runs, even had a videogame set-up with EA Sports tites. It was a blast. It was through a temp agency though and it was around 1998. I don't even know if they do that sort of thing anymore.[/QUOTE]

If I could do a bunch of weird jobs like that over the span of a summer, or something, that'd be great. I can't stand doing the same shit day in and day out... It's not likely that I'd do any temp. work, though. I don't like people fuckin' with my money.

[quote name='b0bx13']If you're able to/willing to, look into over night stuff. I do stock at Shopko on breaks, and I love it. Interesting people to work with, no customers, plus higher pay just because of the time you work.[/quote]

I've done stock before, at Kmart -- for five years; my first job Wasn't too bad of a job. Would have been better if it weren't for all of the customers and cart pushin' in the winter. I had to quit because I blew a disk in my spine and had to get spinal surgery; so, I don't think I'll be stockin' shelves any time soon. ;)

Good ideas, though. This topic is for anyone else looking for part-time jobs. Keep the ideas comin'.

[quote name='Brak']
Good ideas, though. This topic is for anyone else looking for part-time jobs. Keep the ideas comin'.[/QUOTE]

The best "shit" job I ever had was Concierge (Bellman) and Valet at a hotel. If you have a hotel that provides those services near you I highly recommend you give it a shot.

I was also a front desk person at a Comfort Inn for awhile. That is more stressfull but interesting none the less. You meet alot of weird/crazy people and get to hear their stores (or observe their behavior).

And lastly, if you work near an amusement park, working the games is pretty fun. I did that for 2 summers.

Car wash. Kinda hard work, but the tips are nice. If its for the summer, you may want to try a temp agency. If you can type and use office, you can get a decent job. Plus, you are inside in the AC!

Hotel is a good idea like someone said, my sister worked front desk and I got to hear the stories of all the crazy people. Also restaurants find a mom and pop breakfast joint, or an all night diner work as a short order cook.

I agree with the hotel option. One of my friends works there at the front counter and they don't get much business, so she essentially gets paid to watch TV and be on the 'net.

If you live near a university, you might be able to find some interesting work with decent pay, but it's somewhat hit or miss. (whatever you do, don't take care of research animals, unless you like cleaning shit and handling dead animas all day) Check their website and see what's up.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was with Coca-Cola. We set up sites all over the county (in supermarket parking lots) and distributed samples, had a pitching cage, bungie runs, even had a videogame set-up with EA Sports tites. It was a blast. It was through a temp agency though and it was around 1998. I don't even know if they do that sort of thing anymore.[/QUOTE]

How does one get a job there?

I am with the OP...i need a new part time job.

Whatever you do dont get a job at Sears.....that company used to be really good but now it has gone to shit and the customers know it. Everyday you will get a million complaints about the most random things that dont really relate to the store you work at but to the Sears company its self.

[quote name='Soodmeg']How does one get a job there?

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't remember how I got it. I just remember that it was through a temp agency.

Here are the part time jobs I've had, Brak:

Grocery store - I bagged groceries for a year straight. I pretty much never advanced any where. Didn't get a pay increase, didn't ever "move up" or any of that. Crappy job.

Newspaper - I take box scores for local high school games. When local coaches call, I have to do little interviews with them and stuff. I really like it. The hours suck (nights) the pay sucks (minimum), but.. surprisingly, I enjoy it. The people I work with are cool and it's very relaxed. I didn't think I could ever live with it with that time/those hours... but... somehow I do, and I really like it.

Park Board - I watched over kids for 4 hours a day. Basically got played to pwn in kickball. Really, that's what I did -- played games with the kids. I didn't really supervise so much as I played.

[quote name='Scorch']I agree with the hotel option. One of my friends works there at the front counter and they don't get much business, so she essentially gets paid to watch TV and be on the 'net.[/quote] Ahh yes. I forgot to mention that aspect of it. We didnt have internet access but we had a tv in the lobby. I did ALOT of tv watching since it was pointing at the front desk. The 7am-3pm shift allowed for tons of it but there wasnt much on; the 11pm-7am shift allowed for nothing but tv watching, but again .. nothing on (except for that brief period when Nick at Nite had Perfect Strangers at 1am, followed by Head of the Class and Square Pegs). The best shift was 3-11. The heavy flow of customers would be done by 7pm at the latest so you could watch Simpsons and Seinfeld and then watch all the primetime shows.

[quote name='b0bx13']If you're able to/willing to, look into over night stuff. I do stock at Shopko on breaks, and I love it. Interesting people to work with, no customers, plus higher pay just because of the time you work.[/quote]
in my podunk college town, all the peope who work the night shift are mutants. I make an occasional 2-3 am round at the local Walmart and Meijer when I want a late night snack, or I'm just bored and feel like driving around.

Pimp?

It pays well.

How about medical transcriptionist? That's part time if you can type fast enough.

[quote name='ericx']How about a amusement park? I'm going to star working at a amusement park as a ride operator.[/quote]
at the boarkwalk?

[quote name='Brak']If I could do a bunch of weird jobs like that over the span of a summer, or something, that'd be great. I can't stand doing the same shit day in and day out...[/QUOTE]

Well... you're fucked. Just wait till you get out in the real world.. you work 9-5, Monday through Friday.. doing the same shit day in and day out. You just have to learn to deal with it, suck it up and do the job.

[quote name='JEKKI']video game testing yo.

dat shit got me $8 an hour jux to play games.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it harder than normal to type that way purposely? (Not to mention making yourself sound terribly in need of "special attention" in school)

[quote name='Odenat']Airport Valet is okay at night. I made about 150 in tips plus 7.50 an hour but I only worked on Sundays.[/QUOTE]
How'd you come across this one? I live right next to an airport(literally within walking distance) but the thing with almost every job I apply for is that I'm still 17. Thanks for any info.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well... you're fucked. Just wait till you get out in the real world.. you work 9-5, Monday through Friday.. doing the same shit day in and day out. You just have to learn to deal with it, suck it up and do the job.[/QUOTE]

There are other avenues in "the real world".

[quote name='kakomu']in my podunk college town, all the peope who work the night shift are mutants. I make an occasional 2-3 am round at the local Walmart and Meijer when I want a late night snack, or I'm just bored and feel like driving around.[/QUOTE]

2 AM trips to Walmart when you're bored are the freakin' best. I do it at least twice a month.

[quote name='Brak']There are other avenues in "the real world".[/QUOTE]

Yes, but since 99.5% of the people in the world don't achieve one of these "other avenues"... stastically, you better learn to cowboy up.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Isn't it harder than normal to type that way purposely? (Not to mention making yourself sound terribly in need of "special attention" in school)[/QUOTE]special attention?!?! pffft dat mang.

Im hella smart yo.

as a matter of fact, Ima ace the GRE I take on saturday.

iph u dont kno, GRE stands for "JEKKI's Real Education"

but they actually spelled it wrong, using a G instead of J

so me catching that mistake shows how smart I am,

as well as how much better I am than "the institution"

u kno that?!?!

Though it requires a pretty specific situation, I recommend doing tutoring work for a college. I get paid for twice what I actually do, get to spend the excess time doing homework, and have a pretty rad boss, who regales me with stories about all the beer and bongs he did in college and how he lived in England in the early 80s when music was all good there.

I currently get paid $35 to tutor!!

(I got 2 jobs!)

see Im smart!

EDIT: $35 an hour that is.

kids dat rich son, all about them kids dat rich

[quote name='JEKKI']I currently get paid $35 to tutor!!

(I got 2 jobs!)

see Im smart![/QUOTE]
It's a sweet gig if you're good at some subject. Plus, I think the most rewarding part of my job is the fact that I get to spend most of my time with attractive college ladies who want me for my brains.

I was a camp counselor (type of camp that the kids take a bus to each day and go home from each night) and enjoyed that.

Got paid for the bus ride up and the bus ride home each day. Get paid during lunch (since you are watching some kids, but really you eat at a table with other conselors and the kids eat a bit away from you in general.) Though the pay was minimum wage IIRC, but for me I got to be outside, do different stuff everyday, and I like kids. Man, thinking back on it now it's probably the best job I ever had.

Of course this is really just a summer job, so it may not work for you.

[quote name='jmcc']It's a sweet gig if you're good at some subject. Plus, I think the most rewarding part of my job is the fact that I get to spend most of my time with attractive college ladies who want me for my brains.[/quote]

They're Zombies?? :shock:

[quote name='Brak']Can anyone think of any good places for part-time jobs? Preferably a little outside of the box... The ones you never think of.

I'm kind of fucking getting sick of my job, so I'm gonna start gathering ideas and recommendations.

Thanks.[/quote]

Learn about real estate so you can learning how to make real (passive) money so that you can spend the rest of your time doing what you want opposed to what you have to do. I started doing real estate in college so no one can use that excuse that they're too young or don't know anything.

[quote name='jaykrue']Learn about real estate so you can learning how to make real (passive) money so that you can spend the rest of your time doing what you want opposed to what you have to do. I started doing real estate in college so no one can use that excuse that they're too young or don't know anything.[/quote]

I'm too young and don't know anything.
I have references. :lol:

Do you have a Lover's Lane, or other such adult-themed boutique, in your area? That would make for an interesting p.t. job:lol:

bread's done
Back