Google "Nexus 7" tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) now available

If I got one it would replace my Nook Color as my e-reader. I barely use my Transformer because reading on it just isn't comfortable. Gaming on the Transformer is awesome however, but I don't find myself doing that much. I guess it's more of a philosophical or principal thing. I'm still fighting with how I could buy this, what with Google doing all the things I once criticized Apple for doing. I'd feel like a hypocrite, albeit a hypocrite with a cool tablet.

5 days in now. Really loving this thing, I would buy again in a heartbeat. The extra 50 dollars for double the storage space doesn't seem like that much of a ripoff when you take into account the cheap price of the base model.

Waiting on a case I bought for it which won't be here until the early part of August, so I've been a little afraid to take it anywhere. Once I have my case though I'll probably never leave without it.

[quote name='Clak']If I got one it would replace my Nook Color as my e-reader. I barely use my Transformer because reading on it just isn't comfortable. Gaming on the Transformer is awesome however, but I don't find myself doing that much. I guess it's more of a philosophical or principal thing. I'm still fighting with how I could buy this, what with Google doing all the things I once criticized Apple for doing. I'd feel like a hypocrite, albeit a hypocrite with a cool tablet.[/QUOTE]
I actually find it easier to read on the larger screen, but if I could re-do my tablet purchase, I'd get the Sony one because it's more ergonomically shaped. I have a folio that helps with that, but it's still a little wonky. Or are you referring to something else being uncomfortable?

[quote name='dohdough']I actually find it easier to read on the larger screen, but if I could re-do my tablet purchase, I'd get the Sony one because it's more ergonomically shaped. I have a folio that helps with that, but it's still a little wonky. Or are you referring to something else being uncomfortable?[/QUOTE]
To me a 10 inch 16:9 tablet is just too big to be comfortable e-reader. It's too big and heavy. It's fine when held horizontally for games, movies, etc., but when holding it vertically it just feels too awkward. On the other hand, holding a 7 inch 16:9 tablet vertically feels about like holding a paperback novel.

since it doesn't have the expandable memory, i was wondering if you can access the folders/data of the tablet using the mini?/micro? usb and a computer.
did anyone try this out?

[quote name='sinned47']since it doesn't have the expandable memory, i was wondering if you can access the folders/data of the tablet using the mini?/micro? usb and a computer.
did anyone try this out?[/QUOTE]

Doesnt work as of right now.

So my screen issue is growing a bit...when I got it it was only a very small area on the left hand side that creaked, it's expanding up and down a bit. I may try futzing around with the screws in there as a tempoary fix but I'm not feeling too adventurous (even if it's easy to get into). I will probably take it back in the next few days and hope they get another shipment in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, it's el stinko but I honestly have zero other complaints. I'll deal with it.

[quote name='sinned47']since it doesn't have the expandable memory, i was wondering if you can access the folders/data of the tablet using the mini?/micro? usb and a computer.
did anyone try this out?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sasukekun']Doesnt work as of right now.[/QUOTE]

I am able to access the file system attaching to my computer via the included cable (micro USB). I'm on Windows 7 although I don't think that would matter. Can also use a file manager program (there are plenty) to access stuff on there.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So what do you guys recommend for cases? I am looking to get a cheap one that isn't too bulky.[/QUOTE]

I've got a fairly cheap one coming hopefully in the next 7-10 days. If I get it and have not taken mine back yet (and it's any good) I'll post again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that the problem isn't with the screen, but rather the trim on the edge not being straight. Makes it look like the screen is rising up when the trim is actually bowing down. Might hold it up and check if it's really the screen or not.

any idea if its the new batches of nexus 7 or original with the defect screens. I imagine they tried to rev up production which automatically means low quality control for launch

[quote name='panasonic']any idea if its the new batches of nexus 7 or original with the defect screens. I imagine they tried to rev up production which automatically means low quality control for launch[/QUOTE]

No one really knows. Eventually I'm sure it'll be fixed but I honestly would not be surprised if I found one in, say, a week and it had the same problem.

Now a month from now it should be all new "wave 2/wave 3" stock out there, and if the problem is still there then, something is seriously fucked up and at that point we're into RRoD "who knows when it'll be fixed" territory.

Considering how fast new models of...well every piece of electronic kit...get released, I'm surprised that these companies don't do everything they can to make sure they have enough supply to meet demand. Every day that someone goes without being able to find one is another day closer to something better getting released.

just got my nexus 7 the body actually has DAMAGE on it the metal on the left side is cracked. I don't know if i should return it or not. Its kind of outrageous but i don't think the screen creeks. Should it be very evident by just tapping the screen?

[quote name='Clak']Considering how fast new models of...well every piece of electronic kit...get released, I'm surprised that these companies don't do everything they can to make sure they have enough supply to meet demand. Every day that someone goes without being able to find one is another day closer to something better getting released.[/QUOTE]
Hype and beta-testing is my answer.

The way that B&M retailers are handling this is ridiculous. Staples advertises it in their weekly ad, but not many stores seem to have even gotten any. Office Depot I went to today had paper slips for both models, but none in the store, dude said they could order one. So far Sam's has been the only place I've been to that had any.

Just checked ebay, starting to see why there is a shortage of the 16gb model. Some are going for over $300

i just got one today from mac mall in the torrance california area.
couple of the employees claim they have a whole bunch.
i got a good one (nothing wrong with it so far).
any fellow nexus 7 user has tips or recommends any apps?

Glad to see occasional reports of people coming across ones without the issue. Just keep an eye on it. Mine barely had the issue out of the box but it increased with normal use over several days.

[quote name='panasonic']just got my nexus 7 the body actually has DAMAGE on it the metal on the left side is cracked. I don't know if i should return it or not. Its kind of outrageous but i don't think the screen creeks. Should it be very evident by just tapping the screen?[/QUOTE]

Well it "shouldn't" but depending on the severity of the issue it could. At least once a day I've been wiping it with a soft cloth to get rid of fingerprints and whenever I'm on the left part it's noticable.

I may take it back this morning and see what happens. Doesn't look like any are in stock. I'm not making a drive to the store 20 plus miles away to get one. Kind of hate to get rid of it since everything else is good (no dead pixels, etc). Oh well.

Impressed with the battery life. Now, I'm coming from using a Galaxy Indulge phone, which has notoriously godawful battery life, but I'd still be pretty impressed anyway. Using it almost literally non-stop (reading books or comics, internet browsing, gaming, or watching video) I still get nearly 8 hours out of it. Leaving it on and using it sparingly (watching a quick video, mapping something, checking Facebook/Twitter/email or news/sports scores), it's been up for about 2 days and probably has a couple of hours left at idle.

I know this doesn't have a micro sd slot, but can you write files to a device plugged into it via USB? In particular I'm thinking of my GPS. I would want to put GPX files on it. When connected to a computer it goes into USB disk mode.

Is there a rumor out there this will be released with an SD slot eventually? It's being mentioned off-hand in the thread a bit, but I can't find much online to support it. If it's true they'll add in SD to a later version of the Nexus 7, then that will be my next android tablet.

[quote name='crunchewy']I know this doesn't have a micro sd slot, but can you write files to a device plugged into it via USB? In particular I'm thinking of my GPS. I would want to put GPX files on it. When connected to a computer it goes into USB disk mode.[/QUOTE]
I've read that it supposedly can write to a thumb drive when used with a USB OTG cable.

[quote name='Clak']I've read that it supposedly can write to a thumb drive when used with a USB OTG cable.[/QUOTE]

Only when rooted. On its own it cannot mount any storage via USB OTG. Only with root access + Stickmount can you do it.

[quote name='dothog']Is there a rumor out there this will be released with an SD slot eventually? It's being mentioned off-hand in the thread a bit, but I can't find much online to support it. If it's true they'll add in SD to a later version of the Nexus 7, then that will be my next android tablet.[/QUOTE]

Way too early for them to even hint at a follow-up. This thing isn't even easily available yet. Obviously they'll do another one at some point but anything you see now is pure speculation.

Well it's been a week since I had mine. Don't notice any screen problems yet. Having these widgets is so nice because it's really so much easier to just browse twitter, you tube, and facebook over my iPod touch which is a pain in the ass compared to this.

It's ridiculous how much the 16gb version are selling for on Ebay. Seems a good number of people bought to resell.

If I was to get one from GS, since they are backordered, anyone have an idea when they might ship? Even though the Google store has these in stock..people are still selling the 16gb model for $300+

[quote name='kube00']If I was to get one from GS, since they are backordered, anyone have an idea when they might ship? Even though the Google store has these in stock..people are still selling the 16gb model for $300+[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, the back-order date was set for 9/30, but you'll probably get it a lot earlier than that. Google got a ton of orders, and should fill them in the order they are received.

I got a Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tablet about a month and a half ago. For anyone that has the two or has compared the two, which one would you honestly stay with?

If you already have the Galaxy 2 (and are happy with it) it's probably not worth worrying about, but for someone looking to choose between the two for a first time purchase, the N7 is the way to go.

Just noticed these are popping up on Amazon now. As expected, it's all third-party sellers, so due to the relative scarcity the prices are all higher than they should be.

I'd love Amazon to start selling them but I doubt it'll happen. Certainly at least not until they put out a Kindle that compares favorably to it.

anyone got a case for it yet?
i've been looking around just for now.
i noticed there are a few on amazon that have the wake/sleep feature.

Back in business. Got one at Wal-Mart yesterday. Initially I checked the screen and there was an ever-so-slight creak on the left (even less than my first one)...but now it's fine. Wonder if I just pushed something into place. No dead pixels or anything so at least as of right now I'm keepin' it. Hope it holds up over the next 7-14 days.

PROTIP: If you start from factory settings and have more than one Google account (with a different credit card association than on your primary Google account), you can get another 25 dollar credit. Just need to switch back and forth between accounts while in the Google Play store app after it's done. It's tempting to go back again and use my 3rd CC on another Google account, but I'm trying not to be a dick. 50 bucks is enough.

Will be tracking down a case for it, if it's any good I'll put info here. Also just installed Tablet Talk (3 bucks on Google Play store). Allows you to sync texts from your phone to your tablet so you can send/receive texts from there. Doesn't support MMS messages yet but hopefully that'll come in the future. You can also take calls from it if you have a BT headset.

Edit - also ordered a screen protector. I know it's not quite as necessary as it would be for a phone since the glass is more resistant but over time it would still get scuffed up. It's one of those wet-apply ones so this could be quite an exercise in futility for me. If it works I'll post here.

I caved and got one from Staples, as they got a small shipment in today. The left side of the screen is flawless, but the right side seems to have a slight unevenness to it and does the clicking thing at times when pushed on. I'll monitor it before my return period expires, but just a heads up for those waiting for Google to get their shit together...keep waiting.

Mine is still good. Fingers crossed.

Kind of exciting - XBMC Android version. I haven't downloaded yet since it's still early in development, but will definitely keep an eye on this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29737205

There is a strong rumor that a version of this with 3G will be released in October/November. I don't really care about that, but if WiFi only was a sticking point for you, keep it in mind.

Anyway, I bought an Xtreme Guard

http://www.xtremeguard.com/mobile/default.aspx#P739

and it has worked out well. It's significantly cheaper than similar products (ie Bodyguards, etc) and I don't notice a difference. You're going to get a slightly more rubbery feel to your screen but that comes with any screen guard. Application was a bit tricky (wet application shield) but at least you can take it on and off during the process until you get it satisfactory. Screen clarity is excellent and responsiveness does not seem to be affected.

Have the Moko branded case coming on Wednesday. EDIT - it works pretty well. There is no "stand" option for when you have it vertical but it does do horizontal. Fits very snug (which I do like), to the point where the screen protector I have on actually does make a minor difference when snapping it into place. No complaints though for 15 bucks.

Been rocking this case for a few weeks now so I can give a review.

Moko Case

If you just want a simple case to stand your nexus 7 up for watching video, this case is pretty well. I dislike how you have to take the nexus 7 partway out of the case to stand it at one of it's two angles, but it slips out with no problem. It's made of that fake leather but I feel like it can survive a small drop.

I got it because I wanted a case that also acts as a stand (didn't need it to do every angle, just a stand), and I wanted a case that wasn't big and bulky, and I hate seeing a case wrapped around my screen, that and I need something to easily take in/out of the case since I use it as a developer. Overall very happy with it.

Now the default Google music app I found needs to be updated for gapless playback with albums I have loaded into the HD. Listening to an album the gaps are pissing me off. Although I do like how if you have the last.fm app installed it scrobbles when you play songs.

Between the Moko case and Xtreme Guard I feel safe to take the thing with me when I go places now. Both are working out well.

Here's a review of the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD. I wouldn't post this here if it weren't for the fact that it's pretty much set up as a comparison piece with the Nexus 7. Seems like it's a decent tablet, but let's just say I'm pretty comfortable with my Nexus purchase.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/09/when-your-best-just-isnt-good-enough-the-kindle-fire-hd/

We were excited to see a worthy 7-inch tablet with the launch of the Nexus 7, and hoped to see some lively competition in the segment. With its vault of services underpinning the financial viability of a cheap tablet, Amazon is perfectly positioned to present such a competitor. Unfortunately, the 7-inch Kindle Fire HD isn't it.

Heads up for anyone on the fence - the offer for the 25 dollar credit from Google Play expires 9/30. The credit itself doesn't expire if you already have it, just the opportunity to redeem it for new owners.

Can you expand memory via an SD card or something or are you limited to either 16 or 32GB? I've been thinking about getting a 7" tablet but I may wait to see what the iPad mini looks like before jumping in. The ability to add more storage would be huge because that's not happening with the iPad.

Not happening with the Nexus 7 either...

Look at getting an Ainol Novo 7 Fire It has an LG IPS 1200 x 800 Screen, Same as nexus, expandable memory dual cameras, nexus has only front facing and other features the nexus doesn't have. Although it doesn't have GPS which is a deal breaker for some..

http://www.ainolstore.com/ainol-nov...ore-1280-800-ips-dual-webcam-tablets-pcs.html

Look at the specs they are very good and getting great reviews as well, just look it up on youtube. You'll get a lot of people here that will try to crap on it though.... I'm going to get one for my Wife

[quote name='Javery']Can you expand memory via an SD card or something or are you limited to either 16 or 32GB? I've been thinking about getting a 7" tablet but I may wait to see what the iPad mini looks like before jumping in. The ability to add more storage would be huge because that's not happening with the iPad.[/QUOTE]

It can happen on the Nexus.

It's 8 and 16 GB, just FYI. There is an option using an OTG USB cable. I believe you have to root but I haven't tried it myself yet. I'm going to grab an OTG cable since they cost next to nothing and try it out (my device isn't rooted...not interested in doing it right now but we'll see in the future). If nothing else I'll use the cable for my wired 360 controller to play some emulated console stuff. Cable I bought is here...free shipping at least as of this writing. I'll update after it arrives. http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

More info here - http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/589205-adventures-in-usb-otg-what-you-using.html

My 16GB device is only about 1/4th of the way full so I'm fine. I don't store a lot of movies on my device or anything though, so everyone's scenario will be different.

I understand why Google wants to move away from external sd cards, but it's still hard to swallow.

16GB is dropping (or has dropped, in the case of some sites) to the 200 dollar mark, and the 32GB version (coming out any day now) will be the new $250 model. Should know later today if the heavily rumored 32GB w/3G version is coming, and at what price.

OK, 8GB version is now discontinued, so if you can find one you may be able to get a deal. The 16GB is now $200, the 32GB is $250, and the 32GB with 3G (HSPA+ with unlocked GSM) is $300.

Specs are the same otherwise, not that this is unexpected.

This is kind of what I wanted them to offer from day 1, but I knew what I was getting into as an early adopter. No complaints, I still have like 65% of the space on my 16GB free.

bread's done
Back