Same thing as last time, other games.
Goes live sometime during the week of March 16th:

http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/changeproducts.asp

The following games will be available brand new for the listed point values:

Halo Wars Limited Edition: 2000 pts.

Halo Wars: 1600 pts.

Resident Evil 5: 1600 pts.

Street Fighter IV: 1600 pts.

DaPhatty Edit - I thought this Tidbit was very important for everyone to know. I've traded (what I feel is) a ton of stuff through Goozex yet I don't qualify for this...

Are there limitations in using the service?
Yes. Right now the service is provided with some restrictions. At the moment the following restrictions apply:

* Availability: max number of products sold per month is 50, and each user can only buy one product per month
* Eligibility: only users with their account in good standing are eligible to use the service. In particular users must have a minimum feedback score of 100 and have purchased at least $50 worth of points in the last 60 days; or must have a feedback score of 500 and no minimum purchase requirement; or must have completed 10+ trades as seller with positive feedback in the last 60 days.
* Selection: the service is provided only for select products. Each user can purchase a maximum of one copy of each product.

It is Goozex's intention to reduce these restrictions over time, and make it available to everybody and at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the tard bots who say that running a successful gaming website can be done w/ $100/year. If it's so cheap and easy, why don't you haters go do it?

2000pts is absurd IMO for Halo wars, but for hardcore halo fans it might be a deal. I'm still trying to dump my metal case Halo 2... anyone want it? ;) it comes w/ the extras DVD.. MINT CONDITION NEVER WATCHED!!!!

[quote name='expane']I love the tard bots who say that running a successful gaming website can be done w/ $100/year. If it's so cheap and easy, why don't you haters go do it?

2000pts is absurd IMO for Halo wars, but for hardcore halo fans it might be a deal. I'm still trying to dump my metal case Halo 2... anyone want it? ;) it comes w/ the extras DVD.. MINT CONDITION NEVER WATCHED!!!![/quote]

Well if you cant wait its cool to have the option to do it. You don't have to which is nice.

[quote name='expane']I love the tard bots who say that running a successful gaming website can be done w/ $100/year. If it's so cheap and easy, why don't you haters go do it?

2000pts is absurd IMO for Halo wars, but for hardcore halo fans it might be a deal. I'm still trying to dump my metal case Halo 2... anyone want it? ;) it comes w/ the extras DVD.. MINT CONDITION NEVER WATCHED!!!![/quote]

Auto-Tardbots unite!

I think continual operating costs are low. I'm sure the startup had significant costs to begin with, but they set it on cruise control, and what else is there to pay for?

Really. Bulleted list.

Bandwith and upkeep of servers etc. would be the main costs I suppose. And salaries for the few employees they have.

But yeah, it can't cost much on monthly basis or else they'd charge more than $1 per trade.

[quote name='xycury']Auto-Tardbots unite!

I think continual operating costs are low. I'm sure the startup had significant costs to begin with, but they set it on cruise control, and what else is there to pay for?

Really. Bulleted list.[/quote]

• Bandwidth costs
  • Server maintenance/hardware costs (or hosting costs if they don't host their own servers)
  • Continual improvements (they've already redesigned the site at least once since I've been a member... plus adding the mailing label printer feature)
  • Customer service/dispute resolution
  • Game database maintenance
  • Communications (newsletters, mass emails, forums)
  • Marketing/sales work (planning and coordinating promotions like Goozex Exchange, managing advertising, negotiating 3rd party deals, etc.)
  • Managing roll-outs to new countries and the associated localization issues (they just expanded to Europe)
  • Manually updating the front page occasionally
  • Sending games (the Goozex username actually sends out games to people)
  • Tools development and maintenance (they have a Goozex API)
  • Analysis/currency adjustments (their valuation algorithm is clearly not fully automatic). They also probably monitor trading activity to find room for improvement.
  • Managing the Goozex store (plus transaction fees incurred)
  • Doing all of the accounting and managing finances/payroll
That's all I've got so far... clearly not trivial tasks, and keep in mind that the time of a good developer can be worth upwards of $50/hour, not including benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Aleman']
  • Bandwidth costs
  • Server maintenance/hardware costs (or hosting costs if they don't host their own servers)
  • Continual improvements (they've already redesigned the site at least once since I've been a member... plus adding the mailing label printer feature)
  • Customer service/dispute resolution
  • Game database maintenance
  • Communications (newsletters, mass emails, forums)
  • Marketing/sales work (planning and coordinating promotions like Goozex Exchange, managing advertising, negotiating 3rd party deals, etc.)
  • Managing roll-outs to new countries and the associated localization issues (they just expanded to Europe)
  • Manually updating the front page occasionally
  • Sending games (the Goozex username actually sends out games to people)
  • Tools development and maintenance (they have a Goozex API)
  • Analysis/currency adjustments (their valuation algorithm is clearly not fully automatic). They also probably monitor trading activity to find room for improvement.
  • Managing the Goozex store (plus transaction fees incurred)
  • Doing all of the accounting and managing finances/payroll
That's all I've got so far... clearly not trivial tasks, and keep in mind that the time of a good developer can be worth upwards of $50/hour.[/quote]

Good points, and you bulleted :applause:

I am basing my answers that it's just a couple of code wizards.

If Goozex is a house of say 20/30 people than sure, but I'm guessing there is probably 5 or under.

I'd be pickled green if Cheapyd can do a Cag interview with Goozex to find some of this out...business side of things.

Look under spoiler for, well rebuttal I suppose. I'm not contesting that it isn't free or pennies per day, but more of get it done right the first time and you only have one cost and the site kinda runs itself.

I would also state that if they were in dire shapes, why release a EU site? Since most of that will have to be paid first before they can bring in the kickbacks.

Bandwidth= Goozex doesn't generate content, thus users pulling data isn't going to amount to much. Forums and that's it, just text and js.

Servers= If they don't buy their own, then $70/year at GoDaddy, with database to boot.

Continual improvements= Super coder, and I still go with the hobby excuse.

Customer service/dispute resolution= I used it once, got an email about 3 days later. Mostly a copy and paste. I don't know what they do for testing but probably not everyone is sending their games to see if they are bad. Mods aren't paid on a forum either.

Game database maintenance = Once you have it in place, why change it? I will give you startup costs, but continual? teeny improvements, yes, but month to month, no. Plus this is budgeted, not out of pocket, they would have had the money to do it first.

Communications= Everyone has Publisher :cool: with Office, but I've done emails before too, they may take awhile but once a template is made, it's very easy to just copy paste.

Marketing/sales work = No idea but I would assume they don't require direct time/access. Emails mostly, and someone with expertise in it?

Managing roll-outs= Startup costs, not continual costs. I'm sure there is a GoDaddy equivalent in EU. Owning a server well, maybe that would be, but again, hosting cheaper for international, copy home US server code.

Manually updating the front page occasionally= Frontpage :D Kidding but it's all scripted, nothing changes besides a link and a splash image.

Sending games= Well that takes 2 minutes. Really. I've timed it.

Tools development and maintenance= Super Programmer! Hobby here, All it takes is someone that knows their stuff, and tests it.

Analysis/currency adjustments= I agree, that it's not auto, someone needs to but for a change, it's a simple database entry. They could import an update sql script. Again, they have a way probably to look at it in whole and make a decision easy enough to not take days figuring that out.

Managing the Goozex store = Points/trades? Scripted once, and forget, most of the other stuff is 3rd party anyways. Paypal and CyberSecure probably has Faqs/readmes on how to do it. They wouldn't make anything if costs were above cash inflow.

accounting and managing finances= If it's two guys, it's outsourced for a fee. Some cost there but small and with 3rd party support and all online, hardly any continual besides yearly taxes and local taxes.

[quote name='xycury']Good points, and you bulleted :applause:

I am basing my answers that it's just a couple of code wizards.

If Goozex is a house of say 20/30 people than sure, but I'm guessing there is probably 5 or under.

I'd be pickled green if Cheapyd can do a Cag interview with Goozex to find some of this out...business side of things.

Look under spoiler for, well rebuttal I suppose. I'm not contesting that it isn't free or pennies per day, but more of get it done right the first time and you only have one cost and the site kinda runs itself.

I would also state that if they were in dire shapes, why release a EU site? Since most of that will have to be paid first before they can bring in the kickbacks.

Bandwidth= Goozex doesn't generate content, thus users pulling data isn't going to amount to much. Forums and that's it, just text and js.

Servers= If they don't buy their own, then $70/year at GoDaddy, with database to boot.

Continual improvements= Super coder, and I still go with the hobby excuse.

Customer service/dispute resolution= I used it once, got an email about 3 days later. Mostly a copy and paste. I don't know what they do for testing but probably not everyone is sending their games to see if they are bad. Mods aren't paid on a forum either.

Game database maintenance = Once you have it in place, why change it? I will give you startup costs, but continual? teeny improvements, yes, but month to month, no. Plus this is budgeted, not out of pocket, they would have had the money to do it first.

Communications= Everyone has Publisher :cool: with Office, but I've done emails before too, they may take awhile but once a template is made, it's very easy to just copy paste.

Marketing/sales work = No idea but I would assume they don't require direct time/access. Emails mostly, and someone with expertise in it?

Managing roll-outs= Startup costs, not continual costs. I'm sure there is a GoDaddy equivalent in EU. Owning a server well, maybe that would be, but again, hosting cheaper for international, copy home US server code.

Manually updating the front page occasionally= Frontpage :D Kidding but it's all scripted, nothing changes besides a link and a splash image.

Sending games= Well that takes 2 minutes. Really. I've timed it.

Tools development and maintenance= Super Programmer! Hobby here, All it takes is someone that knows their stuff, and tests it.

Analysis/currency adjustments= I agree, that it's not auto, someone needs to but for a change, it's a simple database entry. They could import an update sql script. Again, they have a way probably to look at it in whole and make a decision easy enough to not take days figuring that out.

Managing the Goozex store = Points/trades? Scripted once, and forget, most of the other stuff is 3rd party anyways. Paypal and CyberSecure probably has Faqs/readmes on how to do it. They wouldn't make anything if costs were above cash inflow.

accounting and managing finances= If it's two guys, it's outsourced for a fee. Some cost there but small and with 3rd party support and all online, hardly any continual besides yearly taxes and local taxes.
[/QUOTE]

Health benefits
company events
rent/lease space
the list goes on and on regarding costs for a small company. People love to say "minimal" costs to run a website, but it's simply not the case for a small business, unless you define minimal has hundreds of thousands of dollars. :)

I am not going to pretend to be privy to goozex's financial reports, but when that other user suggested that "goozex would be better if it was like Ebay w/ lower fees" it just cracks me up.

You know what else would be great, if Goozex was like A.I.G. but without the billion dollar bailouts and sickening bonuses paid to failures.

Free caesar salad every tuesday would also be awesome. But why someone in their rational mind would think that goozex could suddenly become Ebay but charge less, is beyond me.

LOL, I just got matched for Resident Evil 5 PS3 for 1000 points! Soooo glad I didn't bite on this. I've NEVER been matched for a game this close to release, it usually takes a couple months at least.

[quote name='lassiterb']LOL, I just got matched for Resident Evil 5 PS3 for 1000 points! Soooo glad I didn't bite on this. I've NEVER been matched for a game this close to release, it usually takes a couple months at least.[/QUOTE]
were you first in line or something? looked like 400 people in line for RE5 and only 1 offer active

I was 6th, and I actually meant to put it on hold until it became worth less points. But if I'm getting it this early, hey, I'm not complaining.

I'm glad I tried to the demo before losing sleep to be one of the first 10 people in line =)

I just don't like the "I can shoot, but my feet won't move" thing. Why so static?

I am 15th in line for RE5 for 360 so I should be able to get it pretty soon. I was hoping to get it for 1600 but I don;t meet the requirement. o well, my place is re5 is pretty decent.

Just added to the front page.

DaPhatty Edit - I thought this Tidbit was very important for everyone to know. I've traded (what I feel is) a ton of stuff through Goozex yet I don't qualify for this...

Are there limitations in using the service?
Yes. Right now the service is provided with some restrictions. At the moment the following restrictions apply:

* Availability: max number of products sold per month is 50, and each user can only buy one product per month
* Eligibility: only users with their account in good standing are eligible to use the service. In particular users must have a minimum feedback score of 100 and have purchased at least $50 worth of points in the last 60 days; or must have a feedback score of 500 and no minimum purchase requirement; or must have completed 10+ trades as seller with positive feedback in the last 60 days.
* Selection: the service is provided only for select products. Each user can purchase a maximum of one copy of each product.

It is Goozex's intention to reduce these restrictions over time, and make it available to everybody and at any time.

So you not only have to have good standing, but you also need a minimum of 100 feedback and have to spend $50 or more on points within the last 60 days? Ummm sure...

Just picked up SFIV. I think its a good deal. I mostly sell $15 Target games for between 900 and 1000 points when I run out of trades for the games I can't find. So it's a good way to blow some of my 7000+ points. The rest of the games I get off Goozex are older PS2, and DS games that don't usually go on clearance as easily. But I've been a Goozex member since the beginning so I don't have a problem meeting the requirements. It's nice to not get shut out of a deal for once.

I didn't meet all the requirements and ordered any way. They may cancel my order but whatever.... I have 415 feedback. I consider that good enough. I guess I'll just see what happens.

same here blackhole.
I would have met the requirements if it was 10 trades in 67 days, but sadly I fall a week short of 10 trades. I hope there is something I am unaware of that makes my(and your) trade active and eligible! I ordered Halo Wars LE

[quote name='myl0r']same here blackhole.
I would have met the requirements if it was 10 trades in 67 days, but sadly I fall a week short of 10 trades. I hope there is something I am unaware of that makes my(and your) trade active and eligible! I ordered Halo Wars LE[/quote]

Well if they aren't checking the requirements before your order is created, who knows if their limit of 50 orders is working either. I guess that's why it's definitely "beta". It will be interesting to see the outcome at the very least.

and done already.. wow, this window was open for less than an hour. I guess make sure you don't take a lunch break the week they run it if you don't want to miss out.

[quote name='Neorub']Scored RE5 (360). Not sure if I meet the requirments but I got an e-mail from Goozex anyway.[/quote]

I'm pretty positive it tells you when you try to place an order if you don't meet the requirements.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']I'm pretty positive it tells you when you try to place an order if you don't meet the requirements.[/quote]

Well then that means they aren't using the requirements that they initially specified, because I didn't meet any of them and my order went through.

[quote name='silentragedy']is this site good? would i be able to flip re5 for halo wars on there?[/QUOTE]

For goozex points you can trade them away, they are not a cash trade in site, it's a one to many, many to one trade matching site

Got in at just the right time to score RE5 for PS3. Considering I recently traded Army of Two (bought last year from GameFly for $10) and CoD:WaW (bought with E-rewards/Gamestop gift card and Gamestop credit) to offset the points I used - I have no complaints.

RE5 can't come in the mail soon enough...

I scored Halo Wars LE. I had the worst luck tho. The minute it went live, my router crashed and I had zero internet. Luckily I already had the page queued up on my G1. so i got my order in through my phone. lol Stupid router almost made me miss out

I have a couple questions since I just made a Goozex account recently to get in on this 'free' game action.

Is this promotion still going on? I haven't seen any indication on the site that says so but this thread was buried pretty good so not sure what to believe here. And what exactly are the restrictions on who gets to participate?

And last and probably least, what's the etiquette when you ship a game to someone, you confirm they have it via the shipping tracker, but three days later they still haven't given you a thumbs up? Lots of games I've been eyeing but I need those points before I can do anything.

[quote name='Flak']I have a couple questions since I just made a Goozex account recently to get in on this 'free' game action.

Is this promotion still going on? I haven't seen any indication on the site that says so but this thread was buried pretty good so not sure what to believe here. And what exactly are the restrictions on who gets to participate?[/quote]

No it was done in one - two hours. There is a reason the thread was buried on here and goozex's forums. There are only a limited amount of games at the moment as it is a beta service, so they go fast.

Current limitations are located in Goozex's FAQ:
Are there limitations in using the service?Yes. Right now the service is provided with some restrictions. At the moment the following restrictions apply:
  • Availability: max number of products sold per month is 50, and each user can only buy one product per month
  • Eligibility: only users with their account in good standing are eligible to use the service. In particular users must have a minimum feedback score of 100 and have purchased at least $50 worth of points in the last 60 days; or must have a feedback score of 500 and no minimum purchase requirement; or must have completed 10+ trades as seller with positive feedback in the last 60 days.
  • Selection: the service is provided only for select products. Each user can purchase a maximum of one copy of each product.

[quote name='Flak']
And last and probably least, what's the etiquette when you ship a game to someone, you confirm they have it via the shipping tracker, but three days later they still haven't given you a thumbs up? Lots of games I've been eyeing but I need those points before I can do anything.[/quote]

Welcome to my world. I actually am a new member who was also excited by this beta prospect and joined as well. I shipped my first game on 3/12 and it was delivered 3/16 (didn't make Saturday so had to wait till Monday). Still haven't heard a peep.

The only thing you can do is send a nice PM to the person and let them know you are a new member and am excited to get started trading games but you need your points first, and most importantly you need to free your trade slot up, so please leave feedback asap.

I am thinking most members don't worry too much about quick feedback because after 2 trades you start getting your points instantly when you are matched, and you gain more trade slots as you increase rep. Also if after 21 days no feedback is left you automatically get the best feedback.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, there's quite a few people that will do absolutely nothing on a game they receive. As it is with everything, a lot of people forget that good courtesy goes around and that a little bit of effort on their part makes everything run smoother.

Fortunately my first trade was with an experienced member that actually cared, and I've hit similarly good people as well. It's not a bad service, and once your first few trades go through it should get much easier -- don't give up just yet.

Yes, there is an incredible diversity of trader quality on goozex. On one side, there are the wonderful douchebags who either never send a game that they've agreed to send, take 3 weeks to even put the game in the mail, send you a tattered, scratched to hell disc, or the forgivable, if ignorant, poorly packaged discs (tiny paper envelope, no jewel case of any sort) that reach you broken in half.

Then there are traders who rush to the post office immediately upon seeing that you've requested a game, perfectly package the item with delivery confirmation (sometimes spending as much or more on the packaging and delivery than you paid in points to get the game), and send you a brand new, wrapped disc.

Unfortunately, all too often opposites do attract on goozex.

Good job dear its really help full to me as a newmember in this forum..
signature_deepthakur.jpg
..:)

[quote name='Flak']I have a couple questions since I just made a Goozex account recently to get in on this 'free' game action.
.[/QUOTE]

There were no "free" games

[quote name='savagepastry']Yes, there is an incredible diversity of trader quality on goozex. On one side, there are the wonderful douchebags who either never send a game that they've agreed to send, take 3 weeks to even put the game in the mail, send you a tattered, scratched to hell disc, or the forgivable, if ignorant, poorly packaged discs (tiny paper envelope, no jewel case of any sort) that reach you broken in half.

Then there are traders who rush to the post office immediately upon seeing that you've requested a game, perfectly package the item with delivery confirmation (sometimes spending as much or more on the packaging and delivery than you paid in points to get the game), and send you a brand new, wrapped disc.

Unfortunately, all too often opposites do attract on goozex.[/QUOTE]

I've been fortunate. I've yet to run into any of those people in a year or so of using it (and receiving 10 or so games). Only thing I got that wasn't in great shape was Fight Night Round 3, and the disc was fine, the case was just covered in Gamestop used game price stickers etc.

I've sent out close to 30 games and have gotten feedback quickly on everyone (within a week or so) and not had any that I've had to wait for the system to time out and give feedback on. But you do have to be a little patient. Sometimes it takes me a week or so as I have games sent ot the office and may be working from home. Or I'll be out of town and gotten the game shipped out right before I left and set my account to vacation mode etc.

No one should be taking 3 weeks and letting it time out, but sellers also shouldn't be expecting the feedback as soon as the game is delivered as people have lives and it may take them a couple days to get the package and have a chance to test the game out etc.

After you get some points built up its easier to be patient though!

[quote name='expane']There were no "free" games[/quote]
Hence the quotes. I just meant that they cost no money if you trade games.

Right now I have a guy sitting on a game I sent, and a guy that hasn't bothered to send one of the games that's set to time out in 5 days. After a given number of trades you get the points to use ahead of time so the former doesn't really matter to me, the latter at least I get to help boot a deadbeat off the system.

It's a wonder why people take so long to ship stuff out sometimes though; with the paypal shipping it's a hell of a lot easier to do the whole accept request -> print label -> get game ready thing on one fell swoop, 5 minutes tops to get everything ready.

[quote name='muumuu']Right now I have a guy sitting on a game I sent, and a guy that hasn't bothered to send one of the games that's set to time out in 5 days. After a given number of trades you get the points to use ahead of time so the former doesn't really matter to me, the latter at least I get to help boot a deadbeat off the system.

It's a wonder why people take so long to ship stuff out sometimes though; with the paypal shipping it's a hell of a lot easier to do the whole accept request -> print label -> get game ready thing on one fell swoop, 5 minutes tops to get everything ready.[/quote]

I'm always at a lack of tape for those print outs but it is much easier.

more on topic with the Goozex Exchange, does anyone know how long it takes for them to ship the game out? I've not gotten any emails about them sending my game.

Does anyone know if they are canceling orders? I managed to order a game and got a confimation email, but later on I saw the list of requirements and I don't think I am eligible.

[quote name='muumuu']Right now I have a guy sitting on a game I sent, and a guy that hasn't bothered to send one of the games that's set to time out in 5 days. After a given number of trades you get the points to use ahead of time so the former doesn't really matter to me, the latter at least I get to help boot a deadbeat off the system.

It's a wonder why people take so long to ship stuff out sometimes though; with the paypal shipping it's a hell of a lot easier to do the whole accept request -> print label -> get game ready thing on one fell swoop, 5 minutes tops to get everything ready.[/QUOTE]

got to wonder how really cheaper is paypal shipping. By the time you figure in using your ink and paper

bread's done
Back