Got a chance to get a DS Lite for $50...

beezdeez

CAGiversary!
Should I jump on it? It's a white DS Lite that has a small cigarette burn on it. The lady says that there are some normal scratches on the bottom screen from the stylus. This is what bothers me the most, because I plan on buying a replacement case if I get this. Will the scratches affect game play? What should I look for on the screen? Blurriness from scracthes, deep gouges, etc. What would be the point that I say no thanks and fork over the extra money for a new one?

I don't know about the screen, I would say turn it on, play a game, and see if they bother you? I do have a bit of advice: Check both the L and R buttons. Those have been the most troublesome for the lite owners I know. Like play a castlevania game or drill dozer on it.

if they are light scracthes from normal wear, then you should be ok. If they are deep scracthes that affect gameplay then think twice.

Thanks for the advice.

As far as the L and R buttons go, should I feel for stickiness or just not registering when I press it down?

[quote name='beezdeez']Thanks for the advice.

As far as the L and R buttons go, should I feel for stickiness or just not registering when I press it down?[/QUOTE]

Just play a game that uses both the L and R and make sure they both register with no problem. I don't think there is anywhere in the standard DS welcome page or pictochat that you can use to check them unfortunately.

Even if the L and R don't work I'd probably still go for this at $50. Many DS games don't use those. That's assuming the scratches on the bottom screen are just cosmetic. If they are noticeable with the DS powered on I'd probably pass.

Yeah light scrathes are going to happen, although not as easily as say a PSP screen (good God). But if they are not deep the system is solid and for $50 if you didnt want it you could easily flip it almost anywhere and make your money back... Whats the EB trade in worth now days?

the chain smoking bitch probably though the cigarette in her hand was the stylus.

this thing is guaranteed to smell like disgusting cigarette smoke. not worth $50

[quote name='iamthekiller']the chain smoking bitch probably though the cigarette in her hand was the stylus.

this thing is guaranteed to smell like disgusting cigarette smoke. not worth $50[/quote]

Hahaha, I hear you. I plan on buying a replacement shell for it. I'm kind of a germaphobe so it will be seeing a couple of Clorox wipes.

Thanks for the help everyone! She's going to send me pictures of the screen soon. And I will decide whether or not I want to drive out to pick it up from there.

01010501040501031220080210abef364c04e5d51082007c60.jpg
010104010200010412200802102023ef603d419a141c009eba.jpg

That's all I have right now. These are very poor quality images. You can see the burn mark at the top. I should be getting the picture of the screen this evening. Hopefully she will get better quality pics like I asked for.

If she doesn't bail on me, I think I'm going to at least check it out with money in hand. I'll let you guys know what happens...

You can always get a replacement shell or screen.. but then you have to know what you're doing with you're installing it. =p

I think she is getting cold feet. I did a little bit of googling with her email (yeah kind of stalkerish) and her lifestyle (and myspace page) doesn't match up with her emails and description of the DS.

Meh, I think I might just wait it out on this. Or maybe lowball the hell out of her when she emails me back. I could get it for cheaper or she tells me no, wouldn't really matter.

I would be able to change the case, as I've done some research and I'm not new to fooling around with things. I wouldn't replace the screen... I'd be at the point of spending the same amount of money as getting a new one after a new shell and screen.

sandrokstar, after seeing the myspace, there is no amount of DS's for that to happen. :whistle2:&

[quote name='beezdeez']I think she is getting cold feet. I did a little bit of googling with her email (yeah kind of stalkerish) and her lifestyle (and myspace page) doesn't match up with her emails and description of the DS.

Meh, I think I might just wait it out on this. Or maybe lowball the hell out of her when she emails me back. I could get it for cheaper or she tells me no, wouldn't really matter.

I would be able to change the case, as I've done some research and I'm not new to fooling around with things. I wouldn't replace the screen... I'd be at the point of spending the same amount of money as getting a new one after a new shell and screen.

sandrokstar, after seeing the myspace, there is no amount of DS's for that to happen. :whistle2:&[/QUOTE]

links please

[quote name='iamthekiller']the chain smoking bitch probably though the cigarette in her hand was the stylus.

this thing is guaranteed to smell like disgusting cigarette smoke. not worth $50[/quote]

wasnt there a webcomic where sombody accidently burned their screen with the stylus? some cag had it in their sig. cant seem to find it on google images

if it were me i would just get a new one. Scratches are normal but how major/minor are they? And if I knew, I definitely would not buy from someone who smokes especially if there's a cig burn on it! Chances are you might get a stinky cigarette smellin ds lite. Try getting them off craigslist they have decent deals there for ds lites in good condition.

And only for $50? You get what you pay for right?

Well she ended up bailing on me. She lied about a bunch of crap in emails. She said it was her kid's DS and that it was only used every other weekend and on Wednesdays because that's when she got to see them...:roll: She said the cigarette burn was from "I have a mini van in which my kids leave thier video games in the cubbies in the van. There is a trash can in the van in between the seats...that my son being lazy decided to store his ds in one day. I threw a cig. butt into the trash can that was not ovously not all the way out."

[quote name='Milkyman']links please[/quote]

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=67697338

Sorry for wasting everyones time... looks like I'm buying off amazon.com.

i wouldnt buy the whole she has kids thing either. looks like a bigtime man hater if i ever saw one so now way she could have kids unless she used the artinsim.

bread's done
Back