Got my PS2, What are your top 5 or 10 must have games?

hotwls13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I got my PS2. I have held out as long as I could stand it. Now there are games out I just want to play and they are only on PS2. I also have a XB and Cube already.

Anyway, the newer games I want to play are God of War and I have always liked the Tekken series. I'm not really into the RPG's. I like fighting, racing, FPS, platformers and some sports.

If you guys could give me some input as to the top 5 or even 10 games you would want that would be great.

As I said, I don't like the RPG's, I just don't have the patience for them.

Thanks,

[quote name='hotwls13']I may be getting a PS2. I have held out as long as I could stand it. Now there are games out I just want to play and they are only on PS2. I have a XB and Cube already.

Anyway, the newer games I want to play are God of War and I have always liked the Tekken series. I'm not really into the RPG's. I like fighting, racing, FPS, platformers and some sports.

If you guys could give me some input as to the top 5 or even 10 games you would want that would be great.

As I said, I don't like the RPG's, I just don't have the patience for them.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head:

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (if you don't already have it on the XBOX)
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Hot Shots Golf 3 (Fore is pretty much the same game although not sure about online)
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Sly, Jak, Ratchet - All pretty good
Rygar (good game for a cheapy price)

Devil May Cry
Ratchet & Clank
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Guilty Gear X2 (not sure how close this one is to Reload on XBox)
The Mark of Kri
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Those are some of my favs that are exclusive to PS2 (excluding RPGs).

Katamari Damacy
Ratchet and Clank series
MegaMan:AC is great if you like the old school platformers, and the buttons are corrent (unlike the GCN)

katamari damacy
war of the monsters
gta3, gta:vc, gta:sa (might wanna wait for pc versions, though)
DDRMAX series
jak/ratchet series = real good.
amplitude
mercenaries
x-men legends
SOCOM?

burnout 3
SSX 3

hope that helps a bunch..

Sweet! Thanks for all the replies. Keep em coming.

Haven't heard anything on God of War yet. I know it's new, But it got awesome reviews.

Anyone here recommend that as a must have?

Here's a list:

Katamari Damacy
Socom 2 (if you're going online)
Jak 2/3
God of War
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Shadow of Rome
Katamari Damacy (an absolute must-have)
Ratchet & Clank (any)
Sly Cooper (either)
Dynasty Warriors (any, including Samurai Warriors)
Gran Turismo 3
Twisted Metal: Black
SOCOM II
Hot Shots Golf (3 or Fore)

SOCOM II
Gran Turismo Series
Metal Gear Solid Series
NBA Street is always better on PS2
Freedom Fighters (deserved much more press than it got)

I just beat God of War last night. This is the best game i have played on the PS2. Once you start playing the game, you don't want to stop. Damn these addicting games! Buy a PS2 for God of War alone!

i only use my ps2 for rpgs and strategy games so im not much of a help

but katamari damacy is an amazing game thats not RPG related

After compiling the results, here is the top 12.

Katamari Damacy *****
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 ****
Ratchet 1, 2, (3)****
SOCOM 1/2 ***
God of War ***
Devil May Cry 1 & 3 **
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas **
Jak 2/3 **
Sly *
Hot Shots Golf 3 or Fore *
The Mark of Kri *
Gran Turismo Series/3 *

I put an * after each multiple response. Keep it coming. I am going to get my PS2 tonight I hope.

Excluding RPGs:

Twisted Metal: Black
Castlevania: LOI
Katamari Damacy
Contra: SS
GTA: SA
Silent Hill 2
Dual Hearts
Gradius 3/4 & 5 (maybe not, you would need patience)

God of War and Champions of Norrath are the only "must haves" I've played so far. Jak 3 looks like it might be one too, but I'm still finishing Jak 2.

Since you're not into RGPs, here're some non RPG titles:

Sly
Mark of Kri
Winning Eleven 8 (if you're into soccer)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (crying shame no one mentioned the best fighter on the system yet)
Onimusha 1 (I still need to finish the other 2 before I pass judgment)
Ratchet and Clank (the whole series is fuckin awesome)
Maximo
Zone of the Enders (not the greatest game, but its cheap and pretty good)
Amplitude
Gitaroo Man (I know how rare it is, but the game is flat out awesome)

-A devil may cry game
-Kingdom Hearts is good - it's not a typical rpg. Even though it's not as great as a lot of people say it is *the camera sucks and battles get a little repetitive*
-Onimusha 1 or 2. Onimusha 1 because it has the best story, 2 because it has the best gameplay. 3 is alright.
-Mark of Kri (it's short but it's a great quality game for only $6 used)
-Jak and Daxter because it's the closest to an old school platformer. One of the ratchet and clanks because they're the best at blending different genres.

Champions of Norrath is good but I can't stand looking at the female characters.
GOW is a definite play but I say buy the other games first and by the time you're through with those games, you'll probably be able to pick up GOW for half the price.

Katamari Damacy
Gitaroo Man
Beyond Good & Evil (if you don't have it on cube or xbox)
Prince of Persia Sands of Time (same comment as above)
Kingdom Hearts (ok maybe technically an RPG, but it has a lot of platform elements)

capcom vs snk 2
culdcept
suikoden 4
rad
zone of the enders (1 and 2)
jak and daxter
final fantasy x
dark cloud 2
front mission 4
arc the lad

[quote name='jngx80']-Onimusha 1 or 2. Onimusha 1 because it has the best story, 2 because it has the best gameplay. 3 is alright.
[/QUOTE]

1 is bilingual so you can play it in original Japanese with English subtitles without suffering the horrible dubs like 2 and 3, but 2 has better replay value due to the buddy system and branching story lines.

The analog controls of 3 is awesome compared to 1 and 2 though.

Here is the updated list. I bought my PS2 Slim today. This thing is tiny! I still need to get another controller or 2, one of those multi tap things, memory card and some more games.

I bought the following games today:

-God of War (trade at GR) - Very cool so far, I don't want to go too far until I get a Mem card.
-Beyond Good and Evil ($5 @ bestbuy)
-XIII (Free @ bestbuy)
-Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution ($5 bestbuy)
-Syphon Filter (I had this for trade but I am keeping it now)

After compiling the results, here is are the top picks.

Katamari Damacy ********
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 *******
Ratchet 1, 2, (3)******
God of War *****
Devil May Cry 1 & 3 ****
Jak 1/2/3 ****
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ***
SOCOM 1/2 ***
The Mark of Kri **
Onimusha 1 – 3 **
Kingdom Hearts **
Gran Turismo Series/3 *
Ace Combat 4,5 *
Silent Hill 2 *
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution *
Gitaroo Man *
Twisted Metal: Black *
Sly *
Zone of the Enders 1/2 *
Final Fantasy X, X-2 *

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but seriously, if you're new to a system, why ask for suggestions? Just go to any gaming site, sort by score, and check out the highest scorers.

You're new to the system, so almost everything is new for you. Considering how many games the PS2 has, you really shouldn't need help finding something to play.

[quote name='spaceloaf']I'm not trying to troll or anything, but seriously, if you're new to a system, why ask for suggestions? Just go to any gaming site, sort by score, and check out the highest scorers.

You're new to the system, so almost everything is new for you. Considering how many games the PS2 has, you really shouldn't need help finding something to play.[/QUOTE]

i've played a lot of really lame "rated 7-10" games from IGN and Gamespy (not to name names but thats what you were talking about).. its better to ask people who actually enjoy playing games and you may get suggestions that the media wouldn't.

i prefer xbox.. but since the PS2 is backward compatable

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 is one of the most playable/replayable games ever. its a lot like SMB in that regard.

hmm also I'd have to suggest GT:3 or 4.. those games are the racing games... also.Burnout 3 is much better on XBOX you get Live and Custom Soundtracks (i love the punk rock, but those songs are crappy punk rock)

How in the world did you manage to get a game for free from Best Buy?!

Do not get Silent Hill 2 unless it has the Greatest Hits red band - the original PS2 release has less content than the Xbox port, which was ported back to the PS2 when it came out as a Greatest Hits title.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space is a great action title if you're into space mecha combat and the original Gundam shows. I think its price has fallen quite a bit since release.

Shadow of Destiny is a great find if you can track a copy down.

[quote name='spaceloaf']I'm not trying to troll or anything, but seriously, if you're new to a system, why ask for suggestions? Just go to any gaming site, sort by score, and check out the highest scorers.

You're new to the system, so almost everything is new for you. Considering how many games the PS2 has, you really shouldn't need help finding something to play.[/QUOTE]

Um, why even post in here. If it bothers you so much that I asked everyones opinion on there favorite games, why not just skip it and go on with your day?

As far as everyone else, Thanks for all the input. I have a pretty good list of games to start with.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']How in the world did you manage to get a game for free from Best Buy?!

[/QUOTE]

I took like 4 9.99 games and xiii for $4.99 up to the register with 5 of the $5 off coupons. I actually expected to have to pay for the XIII, but when she rang it up it came up as 0.00. It wasn't like she missed it either, cause she had to ring them all up separate. Four different purchases for $5.35 and one for $0.00. A couple of the games the $5 coupon wouldn't take so she had to do a price change, and fill out the "big" form. I hope this coupon lasts. :)

Since you don't want RPG's on the list that will make it easier to narrow it down...

These are all PS2 exclusive...

Devil May Cry (the first one, I haven't played 3 or enough of 2)
Rygar
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Gran Turismo 3 (I haven't played 4 so I can't recommend it)
Tekken 4 (I haven't played 5)
Katamari Damacy
God of War

There are only about 5-10 PS2 games worth owning in my opinion anyway, so my list:

1. Kingdom Hearts
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Gran Turismo (either one)
4. Disgaea
5. Metal Gear Solid 2
6. Metal Gear Solid 3
7. Katamari Damacy

Chris

Devil May Cry 1
God of War
MGS2
Zone of the Enders 2
Virtual Fighter 4 Evo
Shinobi

Champions of Norrath 2 (don't bother with 1, 2 is more stable. don't bother with EITHER if you don't have three other people to play with. it is pretty damned boring after awhile by yourself)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tekken 5 since you like the series so much. Any fan of fighting games will fall in love with Tekken 5, but be sure to stay away from Tekken 4! unless you are a huge fan like me...

Must haves:
Twisted Metal Black
Tekken Tag
Tekken 5
Gitaroo Man
Metal Gear Solid 3
Katamari Damacy
Timesplitters 2 or Timesplitters Future Perfect (Future purfect has one advantage: online)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
Yanya Caballista (jk... if you can find this mint, good luck...)

In no particular order some fo my favorite non RPG titles for PS2

Onimusha Series
Shinobi
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Series
Lord of the Rings TT & ROTK
Balder's Gate Dark Alliance I & II
Champions of Norath
Maximo series
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Mark of Kri
Jak Series
Sly Cooper Series
Ratch and Clank Series
Contra SS
Gradius V
Silent Hill Series
Fatal Frame I & II
Gungrave
Alien Hominid
Castlevania
Zone of Enders Series
Hitman Series
Kill.Switch
Killzone
Manhunt
Metal Arms
The Thing
Red Dead Revolver
Time Crisis Series with Guncon
GT 3 Aspec

There is a lot here but I have beat and enjoyed almost every single title here and they are still in my collection. Check out what people say about each and pick up what suits your taste but these are some of the cream of the crop to me.

I did not place two games that demos where very good but I have not yet played the full versions: Shadow of Rome and God of War they are on my list to be played after I finish a few other games.

Forgot you only wanted a list of 5-10, well this gives you more to choose from.

Exclusives:

Katamari Damacy
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Onimusha
GTA: San Andreas
All the Jak games
All the Ratchet and Clank games

I bought the following games the other day.

-God of War (trade at GR) - Very cool so far, I don't want to go too far until I get a Mem card.
-Beyond Good and Evil ($5 @ bestbuy)
-XIII (Free @ bestbuy)
-Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution ($5 bestbuy)
-Syphon Filter (I had this for trade but I am keeping it now)

Then today I got the following:

- Ratchet & Clank Going Commando ($10 @ CC)
- Socom II ($10 @ CC)
- MLB 2K5 ($10.99 @ BB)
- 8mb Sony Mem Card ($20 @ BB)
- Dual Shock Sony Controller ($20 @ BB)

And today I did some trades @ GR and got the following:

- Devil May Cry 3
- Tekken 5
- Gran Turismo 4

I plan to make about a $100 purchase from EB at the end of the week, I will be getting like 13 more games, all from the list. I will be done for a while at that point. :)

After compiling the results, here is are the top picks.

Katamari Damacy ********
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 *******
Ratchet 1, 2, (3)****** (Got 2)
God of War ***** (Got it)
Devil May Cry 1 & 3 **** (Got 3)
Jak 1/2/3 ****
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ***
SOCOM 1/2 *** (Got 2)
The Mark of Kri **
Onimusha 1 – 3 **
Kingdom Hearts **
Gran Turismo Series/3 * (Got 4)
Ace Combat 4,5 *
Silent Hill 2 *
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution * (Got it)
Gitaroo Man *
Twisted Metal: Black *
Sly *
Zone of the Enders 1/2 *
Final Fantasy X, X-2 *

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Didn't you say you don't like RPGs?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did. People listed these anyway. Also, a couple people hinted that kingdom hearts isn't your typical RPG.

I just listed the top games by number of mentions. I will probably get kingdom hearts for my son.

Games already out:

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
Devil May Cry 3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Jak/Ratchet and Clanks

To get soon:

Area 51
25 to Life
Rainbow 6

bread's done
Back