Got your bongos ready for DK Bongo Blast?

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Great! Throw them away. They're not being used here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/19/new-dk-bongo-game-does-away-with-pesky-bongos/

Details on the game, which was originally revealed a year ago for the 'Cube, were found in Famitsu scans by The Wiire. (The only thing worse than bongos: Titles created specifically for the Wii.) The new bongo title is a racing game where you'll shake the Wiimote and Nunchuk to accelerate, shake one harder than the other to turn and lift both to jump. Now, doesn't that sound a lot more fun than playing with some dumb old bongos? There's a four-person multiplayer mode, so you can spare your friends the palm soreness too! There's no mention of the game supporting the GameCube's bongo controller and we sure hope it stays that way when the game's released in Japan on June 28. We don't know if there will be a U.S. release yet, but we'll keep our reddened, bongo-battered fingers crossed.
Granted that neither of these control schemes (bongo or remote/chuck) sounded "fun," but shaking the remote and nunchuck in a racing game to accelerate, slighty more for either one to turn? WTF?

Yeah, that sounds dumb. The racing games in Rayman were bad enough, I can't imagine an entire game based around that mechanic.

I will defend Jungle Beat to the death as one of the great 2D platformers, one of the great video games of its generation and one of the best implementations of an alternative control scheme. This sounds like the total opposite of that.

[quote name='seanw']I will defend Jungle Beat to the death as one of the great 2D platformers, one of the great video games of its generation and one of the best implementations of an alternative control scheme. This sounds like the total opposite of that.[/quote]
Agreed on JB, it's a great, fun platformer.

What's intuitive about manually vibrating the wii remote and nunchuck until you lose all feeling in your arms? This will be a hilarious game to see being played in person or on Youtube.

I thought the bongos sounded fun. They work great in jungle beat, why not a racing game?

Also, it seems silly for them not to support the bongo controller, since it was already coded that way. I will continue to believe this will be an option until I see a specific statement to the contrary.

Jungle Beat was the first GCN game I bought once I got my Wii (sold my GCN early in its life) and I love it. This, however, sounds terrible.

Great subject line and opening line!
I felt that disappointment hard!

This control method doesn't seem so bad.
I imagine controlling it like a conductor of an orchestra. Seems fluid.

Which reminds me, I want a new Mad Maestro.

This sounds bad. Hopefully by the time it is released Nintendo will see that and at least add an opinion where you can use the bongos.

[quote name='dallow']Great subject line and opening line!
I felt that disappointment hard!

This control method doesn't seem so bad.
I imagine controlling it like a conductor of an orchestra. Seems fluid.

Which reminds me, I want a new Mad Maestro.[/quote]
I want to know what drugs you're on to link conducting an orchestra to shaking two halves of a controller?

blast it all, there better be bongo support, playing donkey konga 3 with 4 players is good and all but i was waiting for this game to bust'em out

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Granted that neither of these control schemes (bongo or remote/chuck) sounded "fun," but shaking the remote and nunchuck in a racing game to accelerate, slighty more for either one to turn? WTF?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, another lame use of motion control IMO. Bongos would have sucked to though...just make another Donkey Konga game! Though honestly I probably wouldn't buy it as I don't have much fun playing that game after getting spoiled by Guitar Hero I & II.

[quote name='Strell']Geez people. Wait for a movie or something at least.[/QUOTE]

Don't need one as I'd never have any interest in playing a racing game with that type of control scheme. Period.

I'm usually the first to step up and decry gimmicky peripherals, but DK Jungle Beat was a blast to control & play.

I was really looking forward to another game making novel use of the bongos. Darnit. :cry: And I don't even have a Wii.

Wow. I expected third party's to hammer in the final nails into the Wii's gimmick coffin, but seeing Nintendo themselves kill off their own system... sad.

They need to drop this title immediately, or put big "Gimmicky Piece of Shit with no decent games" stickers on Wiis.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Wow. I expected third party's to hammer in the final nails into the Wii's gimmick coffin, but seeing Nintendo themselves kill off their own system... sad.

They need to drop this title immediately, or put big "Gimmicky Piece of Shit with no decent games" stickers on Wiis.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Talk about the most idiotic response possible in this thread.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Wow. I expected third party's to hammer in the final nails into the Wii's gimmick coffin, but seeing Nintendo themselves kill off their own system... sad.

They need to drop this title immediately, or put big "Gimmicky Piece of Shit with no decent games" stickers on Wiis.[/quote]

For real. 'Cuz, like, different games suck. And stuff. Yeah. You know what I mean? Nintendo is so gay.

:roll:

[quote name='Strell']Wow. Talk about the most idiotic response possible in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Consider the source, my friend.

[quote name='Roufuss']Consider the source, my friend.[/QUOTE]

It's like a gumball machine filled with gumballs made of shit.

Except there's still that black one from Blockbuster that says "get a free movie rental!"

I don't know how the fuck it got in there.

[quote name='Strell']It's like a gumball machine filled with gumballs made of shit.

Except there's still that black one from Blockbuster that says "get a free movie rental!"

I don't know how the fuck it got in there.[/QUOTE]

I.... don't quite follow.

But I throw a :rofl: in there anyways.

This post is making the universe collapse inside itself I think.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. Talk about the most idiotic response possible in this thread.[/QUOTE]

And it wasn't by me?!?!

Way to fuck up Nintendo... seriously.

I can't see this being good at all. Next thing you know, they'll require you to use your Wiimote and nunchuk to play air bongos. At least give us the damn option to use bongos.

Oh well, I'm not playing my Wii much anyway besides some mini-marathons of Wii Sports/Play.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I want to know what drugs you're on to link conducting an orchestra to shaking two halves of a controller?[/quote]

High on life my friend, ha.

Actually, now that I read more carefully. Shaking sounds dumb.
I imagine very fluid, circular motions used to make DK move and attack.

Doesn't seem nearly as fun now.
But I still want Mad Maestro 2, or a game where I can direct traffic with my hands.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. Talk about the most idiotic response possible in this thread.[/quote]The best part is he just decided to buy a Wii like yesterday.

[quote name='botticus']The best part is he just decided to buy a Wii like yesterday.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit! A gamer that doesn't have to blindly love every console he owns and their respective developers! That's inconceivable! Unlike some people on this forum, my opinions don't come from some desperate need to justify my purchasing decisions to myself.

Shaking your fucking Wiimote and Nunchuck to accelerate is nothing but gimmicky. Period. It's worse than even the powerglove.

It reminds me of the "Totemball", a game I also said fucking sucked, despite owning an Xbox 360, and a game about which I made a similar comment, directed at Microsoft, saying "Microsoft is killing off any chance of decent camera-based games by releasing such a shitty game with such shitty, gimmicky controls."

If the Wii isn't just a gimmick, then make some games that prove it (Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind), not shit like this. Sure, I haven't played the game, so I can't put off all hopes of it being remotely decent, but the prospect of shaking my Wiimote up and down is hardly what I'd call "revolutionary innovation." Games like this show that not even Nintendo can come up with decent implimentations of their product: hardly what any Wii-lover would want for their system.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm sure he'll come back and say "HAY GUYZ ITS JUST SARCASM U R SO STUPID I

[quote name='PyroGamer']Holy shit! A gamer that doesn't have to blindly love every console he owns and their respective developers! That's inconceivable! Unlike some people on this forum, my opinions don't come from some desperate need to justify my purchasing decisions to myself.
[/quote]I guess I just fail to see why you would pay $250 for something that you feel is a gimmicky piece of shit that is waiting for third party developers or Nintendo itself to kill. Sure you don't have to love it (though again, why pay $250 then), but hating it seems rather silly. Especially when in the post Roufuss quoted you seemed to enjoy it. Like yesterday. :D

For the record, I also think this game will be dumb with the described control scheme, and I won't go anywhere near it. But I didn't dig the bongo control for Jungle Beat either, I'd prefer Donkey Konga 3. But one unreleased game does not a system make. Or at least I hope not.

Umm... thanks for quoting me out of context jackass.

I said it SOUNDS bad, but I haven't played it. My point is if Nintendo is gonig to do these dumb controlers they should have the opinion for the bongos and or just to steer the thing with the wiimote like Excite Truck.

I also said this game sounds bad, I didn't say everything Nintendo has done witth the Wii is bad, but so far they have screwed up a lot.

Well, as much as I don't really like this, I'll wait until I play it to say the scheme sucks.

After all, when I first heard about Jungle Beat's controls, I thought it sounded stupid and was going to suck. Boy was I wrong, that is one of the most original games I've played.

I do hope they at least include an option to use the Bongos, as I have 4 sets and don't want them to go to waste.

[quote name='drfunk85']Well, as much as I don't really like this, I'll wait until I play it to say the scheme sucks.

After all, when I first heard about Jungle Beat's controls, I thought it sounded stupid and was going to suck. Boy was I wrong, that is one of the most original games I've played.

I do hope they at least include an option to use the Bongos, as I have 4 sets and don't want them to go to waste.[/quote]same here, i say we send emails to nintendo telling them that a game with the words "BONGO" in it have a certain expectation to use the "BONGO" peripheral

[quote name='botticus']I guess I just fail to see why you would pay $250 for something that you feel is a gimmicky piece of shit that is waiting for third party developers or Nintendo itself to kill. Sure you don't have to love it (though again, why pay $250 then), but hating it seems rather silly. Especially when in the post Roufuss quoted you seemed to enjoy it. Like yesterday. :D[/quote]When did I say I hated it? I love it, I love the idea behind it, but I don't blindly love it and when I'm talking about it on an internet forum I sure as hell am not going to shut up because for some reason I can't dislike any game made for a console I own by a company whose console I've purchased.

I want every console to have the best games, to sell the most copies, and to push videogaming forward. As a Wii lover, seeing a game base itself upon such a terrible gameplay mechanic is troubling, especially when that game is made by Nintendo themselves. Sure, it's not like Twilight Princess or Paper Mario use the Wiimote in any amazingly innovative way, but at least they don't make it seem gimicky.

Now I'll admit I went a little overboard, especially since I've never actually experienced the gameplay, but honestly, I think we can all be sure this idea is terrible.

For the record, I also think this game will be dumb with the described control scheme, and I won't go anywhere near it. But I didn't dig the bongo control for Jungle Beat either, I'd prefer Donkey Konga 3. But one unreleased game does not a system make. Or at least I hope not.
No, one game doesn't make a system. But there are prescious few games now for the Wii, and if the games that people expect to be good are the first party Nintendo titles, you'd like every one of those to be fantastic.

[quote name='dallow']They better rename the game if there are no bongos available.[/QUOTE]They better, especially since it's a racing game and there's no hint at that in the title.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I fail to see how that justified downplaying the whole system due to one shitty control design.[/QUOTE]

Totally. It's just like the DS, this first year is going to suck as we're getting a ton of games I won't touch because of forcing lame motion control (this, SSX, Sonic etc.).

With the DS it was crap like Yoshi's Touch and Go, Feel the Magic etc. that were pointless games just to show off the touch screen.

The DS has turned out great once developers got away from that, and I'm sure we'll be saying the same about the Wii in a Year.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't say it's the "final nail in the coffin of a gimmicky machine"[/QUOTE]
How about when you quote me next time you get it fucking right.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I fail to see how that justified downplaying the whole system due to one shitty control design.[/QUOTE]
So in other words, you can either take my comment as me being extremely dissapointed that this is the best that Nintendo can come up with for their own console, or you can read into it that I believe the entire console is a piece of shit and could never have any good games, which I never said. Obviously if I thought it was a piece of shit, I would expect it to have shitty games like this DK Blast game in question, so then why would I complain so much when a game like it is announced?

If Nintendo can't come up with anything better than this (and I know they can), than they shuld start putting "gimicky piece of shit with no good games" stickers on their Wiis. There is nothing revolutionary or innovative about vigourosly shaking your hands. Basing a game off of the concept is extremely dissapointing, and seems to me another nail in the gimick coffin when Nintendo should be prying the gimick splinters out of the Wii with good games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Totally. It's just like the DS, this first year is going to suck as we're getting a ton of games I won't touch because of forcing lame motion control (this, SSX, Sonic etc.).

With the DS it was crap like Yoshi's Touch and Go, Feel the Magic etc. that were pointless games just to show off the touch screen.

The DS has turned out great once developers got away from that, and I'm sure we'll be saying the same about the Wii in a Year.[/quote]i liked feel the magic :applause:

[quote name='PyroGamer']I just bought a Wii so I won't be so lonely on weekends.[/QUOTE]

Everyone stay away from that Wiimote!

Oh... that's not what you said? Well that's what it seems like you said to me, and that seems good enoguh.

Also i would like to say fucking blows i wanted bongo controls. Was really looking forward to it also. Nintendo has messed up donkey kong. I want a traditional one before 2009

bread's done
Back