Goverrnment Shutdown 2013: The Obamapocalypse is here! :(

Wow. You just totally convinced me. How could I have been sooo wrong for sooo long? Not actually having to show up to work is EXACTLY the same as having to be at a fire station for 24 hours straight while training, cleaning, cooking, repairing and maintaining the apparatus and tools, conducting ship tours, designing and reviewing fire/hazardous material pre-plans, oh, and having to be in a constant state of readiness to respond to any emergency in 5 minutes or less. You are being totally reasonable and logical with your comparison. Please enlighten me with more of your intelligent and well thought out opinions. I'm currently arranging a cashier's check to return 90% of my salary for the past ten years to the city, gotta keep that last 10% to at least give the federal gov't something so they can pay people to stay home.
The firefighters in my town don't get paid at all, let alone for any of the prep work (throwing in cooking for yourself seriously?).

The last shutdown was 17 years ago. The next one will be another 2 decades at the earliest. The shutdown was very unpopular and now the Republicans have the ACA site problems to latch onto.
I dont think it'll be that long. For one, the Republican party in general, but the Tea Party Republicans in particular, dont care what polls say. They can be insulated from that facet of reality. Right now establishment/moderate Republicans are planning to fundraise and to fight them. However, this I'll believe when I see. Right now the voting record of the two groups is ALMOST indistinguishable.

As far as the budget goes, the Democrats have basically conceded that Ryan Budget figures are a STARTING POINT for negotiations. Since Republicans are going to continue to move the goalposts and cut even more, there might one day come to a point when further cuts are unacceptable to Democrats. Revenues of course, stay unacceptable to Republicans under any circumstances. The possible scenarios here are even more criminally insane budget cuts, clean(ish) CRs, or shutdowns. Passing a budget looks like the worst option. CRs at least maintain marginally higher spending levels. Shutdowns benefit Democrats politically.

Since I'm dumpster diving tonight, I'm gonna say that I'm glad that there wasn't another shutdown and the raising of the debt ceiling wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. If anything, it kinda went without a hitch...well...as smoothly as it can go anyways.

bread's done
Back