GoW Collection - a test for future HD remastering efforts. Even more to come?

Paco

CAGiversary!
http://www.thegameheadz.com///Home/AddArticles/PlaystationNetwork/tabid/211/PageIndex/1/Default.aspx

Part that's interesting.

“Re Mastering didn’t come up until about two years ago. For a developer, ReMastering in HD took a moderate amount of time and effort to achieve, and with the right title it could be very successful. Once we noticed the benefits of HD ReMastering, the decision was made to use God of War 1 & 2 as the test for the market, and they delivered.”

The God of war Collection has sold almost 2 million copies to date.

“The God of War Collection had reached almost a million copies sold just after the holiday. Shortly aftter that Activision, EA , UbiSoft, Konami, and SquareEnix were all on board to issue ReMastered Edition of their best Playstation 2 Games.”

The idea of burning the PlayStation fan was an issue considered; however, Sony felt issuing a firmware update only helped retailers like GamesStop sell more copies of games Sony and other developers spent time and money making.

“The industry’s best developers are ReMastering their best games. Prince of Persia, Shadow of Colossus, and ICO are just the beginning. When fans see what Konami’s doing to the Metal Gear series, and what Square’s doing with Final Fantasy, they’re going to be very happy.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fantastic news - you just knew that MGS and Final Fantasy would go the remake route at some point - hopefully it's next year!

I know im creamin my pants just thinkin about playin metal gear 1,2,3 all over again :drool:
Then finally finishing Final Fantasy VIII... dude watching the GF's cinematics in HD would be awesome:bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Haha, and I bet MGS4 STILL won't have trophy support by the time the collections hits.[/QUOTE]
You are probably right. But I cannot wait to play the classics in HD. I already have GoW collection, plan on getting Sly, and ICO for sure as well. Final Fantasy and Metal Gear in HD? Sold again.

I knew exactly what this thread was about just by reading the title.

/no not really
//Good thing I didn't skip over it
///Really, change the title

[quote name='Jodou']Haha, and I bet MGS4 STILL won't have trophy support by the time the collections hits.[/QUOTE]

Probably... unless they release a complete MGS collection of 1 - 4. In which they would all have trophy support. I can see them doing this. It would also demand a 60 dollar price point as opposed to the lower prices for the other collections.

This is great news to me. I'd love to play older games and get trophies for them, another incentive to experience them again.

GoW Collection was done right, at an awesome price.

Let's see these dudes released on disc first. Sony just released God of War on the PSN for download - $29.99, same price as the disc, but without any of the extra content (just the games).

If this shit makes money, we may only see these as downloadable titles. That's scary.

Am I the only one that saw this:

The idea of burning the PlayStation fan was an issue considered; however, Sony felt issuing a firmware update only helped retailers like GamesStop sell more copies of games Sony and other developers spent time and money making.

Basically they're saying that a firmware update for playing PS2 was possible, but not profitable...

I find it amazing every thinks it's awesome and no one mentioned that firmware was possible but not created because of Gamestop and such retailers.

EDIT: F U erequena for killing my point.

I have backlog I can't keep playing HD Collections of stuff I already beat.....I will though. Bring on the Metal Gear and Final Fantasy!

[quote name='erequena']Basically they're saying that a firmware update for playing PS2 was possible, but not profitable...[/QUOTE]

No. But as someone with an HDTV, PS2 games in particular look like crap and I find them nearly unplayable on it. I have a PS2 that I have to have hooked up to a SD CRT to make them look OK. Getting them (a select few great games - ICO/SotC is a good example) in HD would be worthwhile for me, though I can understand maybe not for some.

[quote name='Saint Noir']No. But as someone with an HDTV, PS2 games in particular look like crap and I find them nearly unplayable on it. I have a PS2 that I have to have hooked up to a SD CRT to make them look OK. Getting them (a select few great games - ICO/SotC is a good example) in HD would be worthwhile for me, though I can understand maybe not for some.[/QUOTE]
I stopped playing PS2 games for that very reason. Could not take te blurriness any longer. Which is why I love the new HD collections. Not only updated visuals of classics, but they also give you multiple games for a decent price. Dont forget that Kmart is offering the Sly collection with a $15 coupon the week it comes out.

Also, in regards to Sony wanting to make more money. DUH. Thats what they are in the business of trying to do.

Yeah its great news that every major publisher is now going to rehash older games in HD and release them to milk them for each and every penny there worth. Just wait until it really catches on and they start releasing total crap just to make some more money off of it.

LOL, c'mon! We had a couple of really close matches! :lol:

If Sony wants to make HD collections of great PS2 games or whatnot, especially with trophy support, I'm all for it. ;)

If I already played and beat a game on PS2... there's no need for me to bother with an HD update.. unless they add something new to the game. since I didn't finish FFXII and my save got erased, then I could see myself picking that up. I already played through all the Metal Gears, so I'm not going to re buy that stuff. What I'd like to see is Capcom re-release some of those scarce fighting games like Rival Schools. I don't think they should just re-release the MOST popular games, get some of those games redone that people may have missed out on.

Would it make financial sense for Sony to do both? The implication that software-based PS2 BC only financially benefits used resellers is silly, since such features help drive interest in the hardware itself. Last I checked, PS3 is doing fine globally, but that masks that they're still quite behind MS and Nintendo in hardware penetration in the US.

Now, I don't have data on whether BC is really keeping people from buying consoles - it probably isn't, seeing as how it's dead on the 360 as well (and was largely garbage to begin with there) - so there remain some unanswered questions. I suspect the "no buy until BC" crowd is probably a very, very small and very, very vocal crowd at best.

[quote name='valo2027']I know im creamin my pants just thinkin about playin metal gear 1,2,3 all over again :drool:[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth; that will be an immediate buy.

[quote name='mykevermin']Would it make financial sense for Sony to do both? The implication that software-based PS2 BC only financially benefits used resellers is silly, since such features help drive interest in the hardware itself. Last I checked, PS3 is doing fine globally, but that masks that they're still quite behind MS and Nintendo in hardware penetration in the US.

Now, I don't have data on whether BC is really keeping people from buying consoles - it probably isn't, seeing as how it's dead on the 360 as well (and was largely garbage to begin with there) - so there remain some unanswered questions. I suspect the "no buy until BC" crowd is probably a very, very small and very, very vocal crowd at best.[/QUOTE]If they keep pressing on with HD remakes, they won't do SW-based BC, since we've seen what it was like on the first 80GB systems, not quite as good as the HW-based BC on the 20GB/60GB systems.

I don't think BC is really eating into many sales on the PS3, since they're still selling the PS2. Once the PS2 disappears from stores, then things might change a bit, though probably not.

Anyone with a decent AV receiver that does video upscaling can work around the "PS2 games look like crap" situation, and make them look less like crap. I've toyed around with it on my AVR, and it does a good enough job to help with the jaggies, and it's comparable to the upscaling my 60GB PS3 does on its own.

[quote name='jman619']I could tell by the title before looking that Paco made this thread. That's pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]Yeah, that issue needed to be fixed. And it is fixed.

[quote name='javeryh']Why did Sony release the PS3 again? They could have kept the PS2 going!![/QUOTE]
Because they needed a way to push their trojan horse of Blu-Ray down peoples' throats?;)
[quote name='mykevermin']Let's see these dudes released on disc first. Sony just released God of War on the PSN for download - $29.99, same price as the disc, but without any of the extra content (just the games).

If this shit makes money, we may only see these as downloadable titles. That's scary.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Paying the same MSRP that you could've paid for a physical copy that you could actually resell if you get bored of it versus paying for a digital download that takes up space on your PS3's HDD and you can't do shit with(aside from possibly gameshare to split the cost up;))is a crock of shit.

But I guess this is Sony's way of experimenting to see if people are going to go for paying $40-60 for digital files instead of physical copies of games next gen. I know I won't but some folks have no problem doing so. That happens next gen I'll stick with a PS3 and my older consoles and Sony(and any other companies doing this) can go fuck themselves.

bread's done
Back