GoW Collection on PS3 draws interest in other PS2 blu-ray ports

StarKnightX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
234 (100%)
As semi-reported by The Magic Box (semi-reported since no real source was mentioned) , after sony announced the God of War Collection for the PS3 , both Capcom and Konami have apparently expressed interest in porting over some of their PS2 hits to the PS3 in hi-def blu-ray. No specific titles were mentioned , nor whether they would be individual game releases or collections like GoW.

This brings forward the question to everyone , which PS2 game(s) from Konami or Capcom would you like to see make the transition? Since I'm going under the assumption of collections , I'd like to see a Silent Hill collection (especially if it includes the special edition of SH2) as well as maybe a Megaman X collection (X7 , X8 , Command Mission perhaps?). Also , even though they already did a collection for it on the PS2 , how about an enhanced Devil May Cry collection?

What about everyone else?

I'd kill if Sony would do something like this for the SOCOM series. Hell, I'd be satisfied with an upgrade of S2 with trophies and HD. That would be awesome.

Other than that, I'm not really interested in the remakes personally. Maybe the Tekken series but I'm satisified with T5: DR Online. Being a CAG, I'd generally go with what's cheaper either way.

im all for it as long as they improve the graphics and framerate and if possible add in some extra or new stuff and features. i know itll never happen but id be all for some kind of co-op for sotc. the game is awesome but to be able to take out monsters with help would be cool but i know that wont happen. this could be why they didnt do bc for the ps3 slims and it makes sense because they can make alot of money doing this. its good for people who are new to sony gaming who want to play popular franchises and for those who already played them but would like to try them in their new form. if it does well i could see microsoft following suit.

id hope they would do it for series in the ps1 and ps2 era. especially the re series id be very interested in getting re 1-3 on one disk prettied up with extras.

At first I was think Zone of the Enders... but I'd rather a game built for the PS3.

[quote name='StarKnightX'] maybe a Megaman X collection (X7 , X8 , Command Mission perhaps?)[/QUOTE]
You could leave those games out and miss nothing...

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I'd kill if Sony would do something like this for the SOCOM series. Hell, I'd be satisfied with an upgrade of S2 with trophies and HD. That would be awesome.

Other than that, I'm not really interested in the remakes personally. Maybe the Tekken series but I'm satisified with T5: DR Online. Being a CAG, I'd generally go with what's cheaper either way.[/QUOTE]THIS OH SHIT THIS.

I would buy the hell out of a SOCOM re-release. Even if it just had a measly resolution upgrade.

This should be in the PS3 forum.

I know that Konami is looking to see how well the GoW remakes sell before considering similar treatment for the Devil May Cry series.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']You could leave those games out and miss nothing...[/QUOTE]

That's true , I was just trying to think of series of games that could be brought over , and that happened to be one I thought of for capcom.

[quote name='Persona7']I would buy the hell out of a SOCOM re-release. Even if it just had a measly resolution upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as I missed the boat on SOCOM back on the PS2 , you'll have to forgive me for wondering , if the SOCOM games were good mainly for their online , I wouldn't think that would make them good candidates for this.

[quote name='Poor2More']From Konami a Suikoden Collection, all on one Blu Ray

Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden V[/QUOTE]

Good call there. Maybe even throw in Tactics just to round the whole package out.

[quote name='Ecofreak']This should be in the PS3 forum.

I know that Konami is looking to see how well the GoW remakes sell before considering similar treatment for the Devil May Cry series.[/QUOTE]

I thought about putting this in the PS3 forum , but wasn't sure where it would be noticed more , or would be more appropriate. Maybe I should get a mod to move it?

Also , I think you mean Capcom for Devil May Cry.;)

I really hope this becomes a common thing, as long as it retains a sub $40 price. Getting collections like Shadow Hearts, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank, Suikoden, etc would be awesome.

I look forward to God of War Collection on PS3.. Compilations I would like to see from Capcom/Konami to name a few:

Capcom- Breath of Fire series, Devil May Cry series
Konami- Suikoden series

[quote name='MillerTime2523']They should have waited and put the Metal Gear Solid collection on a blu ray disc. I would have been all over that.[/QUOTE]
What's to stop Konami from taking another dip? Peace Walker and Rising are still coming. I think it's a pretty safe bet we'll be seeing MGS games until Kojima retires at least. Konami could do a 'perfect edition' or somesuch with all the home console and portable games modified to work on PS3 released in one master box set.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']They should have waited and put the Metal Gear Solid collection on a blu ray disc. I would have been all over that.[/QUOTE]
I would have had intimate relations with a cactus to get that.

Include Peace Walker and Portable Ops for a threesome with a porcupine, too.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I would have had intimate relations with a cactus to get that.

Include Peace Walker and Portable Ops for a threesome with a porcupine, too.[/QUOTE]

Nudes?

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Nudes?[/QUOTE]
Only if the collection includes the Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 ports included in Subsistence, too.

Can't believe I forgot those.

[quote name='distgfx']I could go for a Devil May Cry port collection in 720p.[/QUOTE]
Oh please God no. Maybe if they improve the camera, but otherwise absolutely not. It would be the shining beacon of last generation gameplay in current generation resolution.

Also, how important are those two Metal Gear Solid mobile games? That phone one and the Ipod one? Are they canon? If so, include those, too.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Oh please God no. Maybe if they improve the camera, but otherwise absolutely not. It would be the shining beacon of last generation gameplay in current generation resolution.[/QUOTE]

You'd fuck a cactus for a MGS collection but shoot down the idea of a DMC collection on sight?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Oh... Konami or Capcom? Uh, they kind of did that to most of their games already.[/QUOTE]

On blu-ray and being rendered at 720p at 60fps? That's one of the main reasons I want this done. Shit, I sold most of my PS2 collection and to buy them back like this for even cheaper would be great.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Also, how important are those two Metal Gear Solid mobile games? That phone one and the Ipod one? Are they canon? If so, include those, too.[/QUOTE]
They're really great mobile games. In other words, they're shit.

The iphone game isn't horrible it's just limited by the crappy iphone touch screen. I believe the other mobile game is just VR missions.

Hell if Konami is just throwing shit on the disc (all my speculation, natch) they might as well throw the two ac!d games in there as well. No DGN though please thanks.

SotC and ICO would be cool, and they do have a third game coming out soon so it'd make sense to re-release their other two games.

A NIS collection with all their PS2 games would be cool. Hell they could fit all the PS2 games, their upgraded ports, and Disgaea 3 all on one blu-ray disc and still have room to spare. I'd rather NIS focus their time on making new games though.

Ratchet and Clank and Jak series are obvious choices.

The International versions of Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII.

A SMT Collection. Nocturne, DDS 1 & 2, Devl Summoner 1 & 2, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4.

Jak and Daxter Series
Ratchet and Clank Series
Metal Gear Solid series
Ico, Shadow of the Collosus
Final Fantasy X, XII
Okami HD?

This will basically further prevent the chance of BC becoming available on the PS3. Though this is better, I don't know how I feel about replacing some games I've already bought on the PS2.

I've love to see some games receive this treatment though... ICO and Okami are two that I want the most.

A bit OT,but i'd like to see updated thief 1,2 and 3 games brought to current gen HD consoles.I never got to play 1 and 2 since I dont own a gaming PC,but put them all with the forthcoming thief 4 on a blueray disc as a CE and I'd be in gaming heaven.

One thing to note is that the God of War games are made by Sony-owned studios. So the most likely candidates for this kind of upgrading would be studios that are entirely owned by Sony. Ratchet and Clank, as well as Jak and Daxter, are unlikely. Even though the studios who work on them have usually stuck to Sony exclusivity, they are not actually owned by Sony.

Ico and Shadow of the Collosus are much more likely candidates. Team ICO is owned and managed by Sony. I'd be rooting for that particular franchise. Shadow of the Collosus in particular was hampered by the power restraints of the PS2. With an extra coat of polish, it could probably run better on the PS3. (no frame-rate drops, maybe higher-res textures, an extra shader pass or two)

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus should be obvious candidates.

I'd like to see HD remakes of FreQuency/Amplitude if only because they don't have calibration settings and are unplayable over HDMI with many TVs. I doubt that will happen, though, for licensing reasons.

Other than that, I didn't really get hooked on any Sony/Konami franchises during the PS2 era. I'd like to see some of the older titles released in the first year of the Xbox's existence ported over to the PS3 since many of them only got fuzzy PS2 versions. Here are a few examples:

- Burnout Revenge
- Tomb Raider Anniversary
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Also, Square-Enix needs to snap out of it and realize there are millions of people out there that would sacrifice a goat to see HD remakes of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX to echo the DS remakes of III, IV, and VI. X or XII would probably be easier, but not nearly as impressive.

So...here's a question. If a 3rd party came out with a re-release (let's say Square re-released FFX and FFX-2), would it be multiplatform or would it be PS3 exclusive because of a space issue?

[quote name='KingBroly']So...here's a question. If a 3rd party came out with a re-release (let's say Square re-released FFX and FFX-2), would it be multiplatform or would it be PS3 exclusive because of a space issue?[/QUOTE]

Don't see any reason why said company couldn't release the games on multiple disks. It'll just show an inherent weakness of the 360. ;) J/K!

My Question: Can PS2 exclusives be released on the 360 without jumping though any legal hoops (IE clearing it with Sony)? I would suppose the answer is yes since said developers own the IP.

I have to say God of War collection really opens the door for previous gen's games... Games don't get remastered, either they get compilations, sequels/prequels or remakes. Of course, everybody prefers a remake, but that opens up a lot of questions, the biggest being how will the new graphic and game play compare to the original and of course, how faithful is the remake to the original... With this remastered scheme, those questions are not in play. You can say it's a glorified BC version, but it doesn't make a difference for those never played the originals or those loved the originals and never got the chance to earn trophies/achievements :)

It does seem a lot you interested in Ico and SotC, maybe we'll get the remastered version for them as well :)

I think the GoW games might be getting this treatment since there's so much less work to do in their cases - IMSMR both games have widescreen & progressive scan modes already accessible.

[quote name='trdn89']I think the GoW games might be getting this treatment since there's so much less work to do in their cases - IMSMR both games have widescreen & progressive scan modes already accessible.[/QUOTE]

That means nothing.

[quote name='blitz6speed']That means nothing.[/QUOTE]

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1020686p1.html

IGN: Did you all do anything with using higher-resolution textures? Is there any way that the art has changed, or the number of frames of animation or anything like that?

John Hight: That's a good question. So, we're still kind of evaluating, but we were prepared to upgrade the textures, at least on Kratos on both games, but honestly it's looking so good that we're thinking, you know what? It's probably better to keep it in its pure form. We're playing around with potentially swapping out textures on some of the user interface and the fonts just to make them a little more readable. It looked great back on the PS2 on a regular TV, or even an HDTV, but once you get into an HDTV running at 720p, some of the text gets a little weedy, so we are going to swap that out.

The goal for this was really, "Let's bring this experience up to the PS3". We have all of the original assets, the assets were done at a level that was… You know, a lot of people claimed, "Wow, you know, God of War II looks like it's PS3…" Well a lot of that has to do with the fact that we built this thing with higher-res assets. And even God of War 1, this stuff holds up because we work at a level higher than our target platform, so we can go back and pretty easily move this stuff up, so...

I mean I hope I'm wrong and Konami and Atlus can put out BD comps left right front and center, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[quote name='trdn89']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1020686p1.html[/QUOTE]

You said that since both games are 480p and widescreen enabled, that will help. Those things are meaningless. Them having the original coders on hand and a very well documented source code are much bigger benefits, because they actually ARE benefits. The ones you listed have nothing to do with porting a game.

PS2 blu-ray ports:

Capcom- Resident Evil series and Devil May Cry series

Konami- Silent Hill series and Castlevania series

Other - TimeSplitters series and Ratchet/Clank series

I would buy a PS3 if they ported the entire Silent Hill series: Silent Hill, Silent Hill Origins, SH: Shattered Memories, SH II w/Greatest Hits content, SH III, and SH IV: The Room.

I would buy a GTA collection (GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas) with 720p and all the online modes from GTA4 if it was under $40. I wouldn't really need the main games, just the maps in HD with the different multiplayer modes. Heck if it was just San Andreas for $30 I'd be interested.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']PS2 blu-ray ports:

Capcom- Resident Evil series and Devil May Cry series

Konami- Silent Hill series and Castlevania series

Other - TimeSplitters series and Ratchet/Clank series

I would buy a PS3 if they ported the entire Silent Hill series: Silent Hill, Silent Hill Origins, SH: Shattered Memories, SH II w/Greatest Hits content, SH III, and SH IV: The Room.[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to put a horrible curse upon us with those Castlevania 3d games? WHY!?

bread's done
Back