Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

I was playing two player battle in arcade mode but it seem the game is being weird. It changes the control scheme on the 2rd player with no way of changing it to normal and the car has no reverse, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't find a way to fix it, has anybody else experience this problem?

instead of going straight into the regular races, I started doing the specialty events first. I really needed the refreshers of the licenses and from the specialty events, its quick money and its a good warm up. I have just over 75,000 dollars.

[quote name='daphatty']The book, Apex, is totally awesome. I fully intend to read it thoroughly.

I picked the civic. Had no trouble winning my first three races.[/QUOTE]The Apex book is a godsend, it spells out how to tweak the things I wasn't sure about tweaking in GT3 and 4, specifically downforce. I know the information will be available later on but having this on hand from Day 1 makes it worth every penny.

I ended up picking up the 97 Civic at the dealership, that thing is a beast. I'm surprised at how well it handles with no mods. Beat the Sunday cup and ran the L1 championship with no trouble, having almost as much as a 20 second lead. No more modding Miatas for my first car, a few small mods and this thing just gets beastlier.

[quote name='Thomas96']instead of going straight into the regular races, I started doing the specialty events first. I really needed the refreshers of the licenses and from the specialty events, its quick money and its a good warm up. I have just over 75,000 dollars.[/QUOTE]I warmed up with the license test but B5 was just frustrating the piss out of me to gold so I ended up golding the first 3 Beginners races in A Spec without any real issues. I really like that you can see what kind of competition you'd have before you enter the race along with their horsepower and weight, also the restrictions are done better and you can filter your garage to see what you can use. I think I ended up with 50 grand after doing the first set of beginners races and doing only 3 oil changes with light mods(filter, high flo cats and chip) and 3 more cars.

[quote name='Thongsy']I was playing two player battle in arcade mode but it seem the game is being weird. It changes the control scheme on the 2rd player with no way of changing it to normal and the car has no reverse, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't find a way to fix it, has anybody else experience this problem?[/QUOTE]
If you go into settings you should be able to change Controller 2, it has an obscene amount of controller settings but it's there.

Damn, I want this game. But it seems I've been reading mixed opinions about it, I'll see if I can rent it.

[quote name='mik']It only works in arcade mode. Seriously. It's especially painful because it's actually really cool.[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking kidding me?

I just got done playing around in a practice mode in the rain at night with 1st in car camera, that was pretty awesome. I wish I could change any course to rain or night though that is a let down. I keep wanting to turn and look around in the car though I thought for sure that was possible but not seeing the control option for it?

I like the Photo Tour thing too that is really cool to play with, I hope they add more locations later on or unlockable.

Still a great game all of my complaints are just small nit-pick sorta things nothing major to complain about for me. The load times are no big deal like I've seen a lot of people complain about either.

I did notice a mistake, in the nascar jeff gordon intro he is explaining the stock cars. He says the cars use a "steel tube frame" and the subtitle says "pipe frame". I thought that was funny.

[quote name='Count']Damn, I want this game. But it seems I've been reading mixed opinions about it, I'll see if I can rent it.[/QUOTE]

I read the reviews, and then I played the game for myself..... think of it as a racing simulator and encyclopedia.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's normal.

Also my driver is a fucking dumbass in this game. Seriously I gave him a car that can kick ass (I mean I can win the race by like 5-10 seconds), and he can't even come in 2nd.[/QUOTE]

B Spec mode is complete shit because all the drivers just follow the fucking line.

The load times are long so I'm installing it to HDD -- never had to do that for a game before to this ectent.

I have been playing Prologue as I save for the real deal. It is the first GT game I have played, and without every handicap that is allowed I can't get past the first turn. I just love to spin around in circles apparently.

[quote name='m_d_amore']Glad Im not the only one having trouble golding B-5 Lisence[/QUOTE]

After about 2 hours of trying to get the gold on B5 i did. I followed someones advice on gamefaqs about cutting inside the line at the turn and what do i know? First try baby.

I thought after B5 it would be smooth sailing to gold the rest but now im stuck on B6 :( I tried using similar techniques but the closest i can get is .200 off of gold time.

[quote name='Mad39er']

If you go into settings you should be able to change Controller 2, it has an obscene amount of controller settings but it's there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, tried that but it didn't work. Control Settings for Player 2 were still at default. I changed them and it didn't help. The Accelerate is stuck to the right stick and if I leave it off the right stick the car just won't move at all. The car still doesn't have reverse or brakes.

B-5 is tough, I barely beat it with an 18.896 time.

First thing first, your speed going in will be slower than coming out. It has to be that way it is a hairpin turn.

The way I went into this was to break very late and very little. So if you happen to have the driver line up, then break about 2/3rds into the red line. Once you are hitting the apex of the turn you should not be breaking at all, you need all the momentum you can get. Once you clear the turn, give the gas a little, to help the RPM get up, complete the turn, then smash on that pedal. The little bit of gas allows the car to that little boost, the high the RPMs the fast your car will be going. I did this in manual, if you haven't, I urge you to try. Having control over the gears makes things A LOT easier, not harder.

So far I have gold on b1-b9. I didnt realize that the game doesnt save the replay, it just saves the time, so alas I cant replay them for you.

Check on Youtube too. Some people have posted some good stuff with very helpful tips. Look at the speed they carry with their cars and the RPMs. A bit more of speed is the difference between gold and silver.

/edit:

Okay I just finished getting Gold on B-License. B-5 and B-7 are the tough ones, everything else is just practice.

Key points I learned from this:
-Keep RPMs high
-Don't turn and brake, brake first, then turn
-Same thing, don't gas and turn, turn then gas
-If you are missing the Gold time by hundredths of a second (.01) the difference might be you just brake too much

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zoodux']After about 2 hours of trying to get the gold on B5 i did. I followed someones advice on gamefaqs about cutting inside the line at the turn and what do i know? First try baby.

I thought after B5 it would be smooth sailing to gold the rest but now im stuck on B6 :( I tried using similar techniques but the closest i can get is .200 off of gold time.[/QUOTE]
Still need to gold B5 but I just golded B6 after I tried several different things. Trick for me was to let off the gas in the first red braking zone, brake late midway towards the second red braking zone and make sure my front tire hooks the red curb then power through. I tried just braking late without letting off the gas and the best I got was 14.649 or something, but if you let off the gas, it slows you down enough to hook that tire on the corner and you're golden, I got 14.539.

[quote name='Anhmeister']B-Spec pisses me off like no other. However Kart racing is ridiculously fun, so it all balances out.[/QUOTE]
I somehow got a driver that can't make a turn or overtake a Mini Cooper. When you pick a driver, get one that is better in Cornering because if you don't, it's impossible to even come close to winning the first Sunday Cup race. At B-Spec L4 now and my idiot driver doesn't handle the cornering, shifting or the small track that well.

[quote name='Mad39er']I somehow got a driver that can't make a turn or overtake a Mini Cooper. When you pick a driver, get one that is better in Cornering because if you don't, it's impossible to even come close to winning the first Sunday Cup race. At B-Spec L4 now and my idiot driver doesn't handle the cornering, shifting or the small track that well.[/QUOTE]

My driver seems to have become competent now, it was pretty hilarious watching him slide everywhere in my Skyline GTR at level 0 though.

[quote name='Mad39er']I somehow got a driver that can't make a turn or overtake a Mini Cooper. When you pick a driver, get one that is better in Cornering because if you don't, it's impossible to even come close to winning the first Sunday Cup race. At B-Spec L4 now and my idiot driver doesn't handle the cornering, shifting or the small track that well.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Mine is level 5 and he can only get second. It seems like if he goes red on the bar he fucks up badly or if he goes anywhere near middle he becomes slow as a rock, lol.

DO B-Spec racers have Experience or something that will allow them to stop sucking? I was kinda looking forward to the mode, but this all sounds very bad indeed.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']DO B-Spec racers have Experience or something that will allow them to stop sucking? I was kinda looking forward to the mode, but this all sounds very bad indeed.[/QUOTE]

they gain xp after every race so eventually they will get better , be good and then start to decline again and you get to have 6 later on in the game

[quote name='m_d_amore']they gain xp after every race so eventually they will get better , be good and then start to decline again and you get to have 6 later on in the game[/QUOTE]

So once they start losing their touch you can switch drivers around and gives the one that is slacking a break and hope he'll come back in better shape? Interesting. . .

Why the hell doesn't Amazon have this damn game on sale?

Saw it posted on Gamefaqs as a reminder, don't brutalize your cars or you'll tweak the chassis out of shape. My B-Spec driver had me flipping when he kept slamming my Civic into walls but thankfully it's only 9.5k to get it straightened. More expensive cars are more expensive to repair, obviously but you'll probably get the chassis fixed after a while. I remember in GT4 I had to have mine repaired after doing an Endurance race, since the car was completely shot in terms of turning after 100+ laps around whatever track that was.

[quote name='Mad39er']What have people picked for their first car so far? I'm leaning towards getting the 97 Civic at the Dealership new rather than pick up a used one with 20 less horsies and only 10 less kilos of weight.[/QUOTE]

my first car was the SRT Dodge Viper 06... I did the specialty events first, they give more money, more experience and you don't even need a car. I did buy a Kart before the Viper.

Anyone having troubles with the drive line indicator? I know I shouldn't be using it but I'm still learning the tracks so it helps.

I'm having problems with it not telling me that I'm going to fast. It will stay blue as I come up to certain turns and give no indication I should brake and I fly right off the track. I'm having to brake a lot with the indicator fully blue. Other turns it works perfect and shows me red and I make the turn perfect.

Maybe I'm just misreading the line some how?

[quote name='iwannadie']Anyone having troubles with the drive line indicator? I know I shouldn't be using it but I'm still learning the tracks so it helps.

I'm having problems with it not telling me that I'm going to fast. It will stay blue as I come up to certain turns and give no indication I should brake and I fly right off the track. I'm having to brake a lot with the indicator fully blue. Other turns it works perfect and shows me red and I make the turn perfect.

Maybe I'm just misreading the line some how?[/QUOTE]

I've noticed the game will indicate blue if you can left off the gas and coast through a turn (instead of braking)...something that should probably be looked at. I've learned to be a bit cautious on my first lap at ANY track in a car I haven't driven before.

[quote name='iwannadie']Anyone having troubles with the drive line indicator? I know I shouldn't be using it but I'm still learning the tracks so it helps.

[/QUOTE]

I seem to have the opposite issue where it tells me to brake too much. I'll come to a turn, and hold the brake while the line is red, and practically come to a stop when I could have taken the turn at a much higher speed.

I don't think the game takes track slope or elevation into account. For example, if your coming up to an uphill turn, you don't need to brake as much.

I also wish you could change the racing line to 'braking only' like in Forza. I don't need a racing line down straightaways, I just like some help with when to brake.

Maybe I'm just misreading the line some how?[/QUOTE]
The Drive Line as explained is red = braking, blue = non-braking but not necessarily a green light to go stupid fast. The Driving Line will correct very late into the braking red line if you skip the first braking zone but before you hit the second one(by about half a second or so), so use it as a guide, not as a red light/green light mechanism.

In the Throttling section that is the B7 license test, there are red braking zones that you're better off simply letting off the gas or tapping the gas to get the traction you want. The driving line is flawed in this regard as there is no way to reach optimal time if you brake at all on B7.

My only issue is the driving line is so bright it's distracting and I don't really learn/relearn the tracks(some I remember quite well, like Deep Forest) with a tendency to follow the line more or less. I may have to turn it off but for some reason I don't have much "depth" compared to previous GT titles and it's a little harder to see where the turns are.

Edit: Chuplayer, you may have to deal with Sony to get your car, my gamestop code activated the McLaren but apparently there was a glitch and some people didn't get their car. People on Gamefaqs resorted to dealing with Sony reps who said they had a resolution in about 48 hours.

How noticeable/ugly are the "standard" cars compared to the premium cars? I've been seeing the stories pop up all over the web about how non-pretty they are... and this worries me. CAG thoughts?

[quote name='Saint Noir']How noticeable/ugly are the "standard" cars compared to the premium cars? I've been seeing the stories pop up all over the web about how non-pretty they are... and this worries me. CAG thoughts?[/QUOTE]
No real difference. I don't care for the cockpit view in the rain with wipers and stuff because it doesn't feel right driving nor does it look great to me(since you're on the left side usually). I'm wondering if the 720p vs 1080p rumors are true and this looks better in 720p.

[quote name='Mad39er']The Drive Line as explained is red = braking, blue = non-braking but not necessarily a green light to go stupid fast. The Driving Line will correct very late into the braking red line if you skip the first braking zone but before you hit the second one(by about half a second or so), so use it as a guide, not as a red light/green light mechanism.

In the Throttling section that is the B7 license test, there are red braking zones that you're better off simply letting off the gas or tapping the gas to get the traction you want. The driving line is flawed in this regard as there is no way to reach optimal time if you brake at all on B7.

My only issue is the driving line is so bright it's distracting and I don't really learn/relearn the tracks(some I remember quite well, like Deep Forest) with a tendency to follow the line more or less. I may have to turn it off but for some reason I don't have much "depth" compared to previous GT titles and it's a little harder to see where the turns are.

Edit: Chuplayer, you may have to deal with Sony to get your car, my gamestop code activated the McLaren but apparently there was a glitch and some people didn't get their car. People on Gamefaqs resorted to dealing with Sony reps who said they had a resolution in about 48 hours.[/QUOTE]

I wish you could adjust the visual of the Line as well it is a really bright blue dotted ugly line.

The line still bugs me, there was a turn just now I came up at full speed and just flew off the track with no indication of red. I understand it's not a green light to go crazy speed but it should give me some indication if I am going twice as fast. I think I am just going to turn if off and be done with it, it has caused me too much harm at this point.

Still loving the game though, I have my MK3 supra(a car I actually own) all modded out with like 100k into it is awesome ha.

[quote name='iwannadie']I wish you could adjust the visual of the Line as well it is a really bright blue dotted ugly line.

The line still bugs me, there was a turn just now I came up at full speed and just flew off the track with no indication of red. I understand it's not a green light to go crazy speed but it should give me some indication if I am going twice as fast. I think I am just going to turn if off and be done with it, it has caused me too much harm at this point.

Still loving the game though, I have my MK3 supra(a car I actually own) all modded out with like 100k into it is awesome ha.[/QUOTE]
The blue is hyper distracting, since it's brighter than anything else, if it were dark blue I think I'd be alright. As for the line, well, that's why I keep an eye on the map because sometimes you are going too fast for anything to compensate for(like driving faster than your GPS is prepared to deal with in your car for instance)

I'm still trying to find a first gen Audi TT 1.8, I really should check the cars list but they have the 3.2 first gen and I didn't really like that one previously.

[quote name='Mad39er']Edit: Chuplayer, you may have to deal with Sony to get your car, my gamestop code activated the McLaren but apparently there was a glitch and some people didn't get their car. People on Gamefaqs resorted to dealing with Sony reps who said they had a resolution in about 48 hours.[/QUOTE]

I did call GameStop first to see if they had a fix on their level. The guy there did give me another promo code (!), but it looks like it only gives you the NASCAR car again. So I got on the phone with Sony, and this thing should be fixed by Monday according to the American (!) I was speaking to on the phone.

[quote name='Saint Noir']How noticeable/ugly are the "standard" cars compared to the premium cars? I've been seeing the stories pop up all over the web about how non-pretty they are... and this worries me. CAG thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I use anamorphic widescreen 480i over component (yes, TVs like this did exist around 2003), with chase cam view, and I don't notice a difference between them in normal gameplay. I watched a few of them in the garage driving preview thingy (mostly the Dome proto concept car), and it looked fine.

The only thing that irks me more about the whole premium/standard thing is that they didn't at least give the standard cars generic or less detailed interiors so you could still use cockpit view.

But the chase cam view is so excellent, I don't care about using anything else until I go HD. I can't see enough from the cockpit in SD, so I'm glad that the chase view is so nice. Yes, it is pretty much locked to your car's back. That's actually a good thing. You can always tell exactly where you're going. You don't have those horrible instances of chase cams that you get in other games where the camera's not looking at where you're going, and you can see the entire side of your car. In GT5, it's straight down the bisection of your car with very little wiggle room. It's awesome.

Here's a free Amazon Preorder Bonus Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Stealth Model car code to the first person who claims it:

66K4-32NC-RG3N

(I'm purposley posting it here so it will be used by somebody instantly and not sold on eBay or something, which I could have done myself)

ENJOY!!

I don't know why some of you bought the cart. After you finish the first set of liscense test and the first couple of races you get one for free, along with a bunch of other cars for free. Anyway this is probably the best game i have ever played.

[quote name='Mr. 420']I don't know why some of you bought the cart. After you finish the first set of liscense test and the first couple of races you get one for free, along with a bunch of other cars for free. Anyway this is probably the best game i have ever played.[/QUOTE]

Trophy for being broke?

I just started doing the Lightweight Cup for fun with a purchased Mazda Autozam. I spent another 15 grand on a couple of mods and proceeded to have the funnest race in this awesome kei car. I didn't even have to brake around corners, these things drift at 40-60 mph, it's awesome. They don't go fast but they handle damn near like go-karts, I had to stop using the brake because I was going way out of control.

Hands down the funnest and funniest racing experience, I saved the replay because I LOL'd at least 3-4 times while driving.

Edit: Just had my B-Spec driver finish the two races without much hair pulling(the same one that gave up after going off road, sitting in the dirt for about 10 seconds in another race). This is an awesome and hard to screw up sort of thing, driver error is very low since the speed is lower than normal and they're actually competent enough in the above car in terms of handling and such more than usual in my Type R Civic.

hey ps3 cags,

Had a questions about gt5 and steering wheels. I am probably gonna grab a ps3 bundle this weekend and gt5. I am happy raptr wasn't around when I played Gran Turismo 3...way too many hours spent.

I am going to wait until after xmas to purchase a wheel. Probably going to get the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel (99$)...how is that wheel in general? I know that g27 is supposed to be amazing but i can't see myself putting 300 into a wheel. Does it work well with gt5? Any complaints with it?

thanks

[quote name='naiku']hey ps3 cags,

Had a questions about gt5 and steering wheels. I am probably gonna grab a ps3 bundle this weekend and gt5. I am happy raptr wasn't around when I played Gran Turismo 3...way too many hours spent.

I am going to wait until after xmas to purchase a wheel. Probably going to get the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel (99$)...how is that wheel in general? I know that g27 is supposed to be amazing but i can't see myself putting 300 into a wheel. Does it work well with gt5? Any complaints with it?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Considering it's the official wheel developed with and used by Polyphony for GT5P and GT5, not to mention it's also what they use in their racing booths... I'd say I just sold myself one looking into the answer to your question. It looks awesome, features a full 2.5 turns(like a real car) unlike the old driving wheel I had that only turned maybe 90 degrees in either direction. I was initially put off by that wheel so much that I haven't even considered one until I actually looked at the wiki. Now I want one.

It's the cheaper of the two but considering everything, I think you end up with more customization with the G27 but to call the DFGT entry level I think would be appropriate. I do pretty decent with a controller but this wheel looks to be way improved on my previous experience(which was so bad I swore off Force Feedback and wheels) enough to give this one a shot.

On a completely unrelated note, I found out why my B Spec drivers suck in my 279HP FF Honda but kick ass in a 74HP MR Mazda. The AI cannot handle the understeer. At all. FF car owners be prepped to tune your car towards getting you more oversteer, as it just kicks their ass. I'm used to front forward cars and have no issue driving them except I noticed I was understeering more than I wanted to. Adjusted the settings and everything fell into place.

bread's done
Back