Graphic Whores: The Xbox Gen.

Yea, when I ask people at school why the Xbox is supposedly superior to the inferior ps2, its cause ps2's graphics suck...thats all i ever freakin hear. I then ask them name one good game on the xbox besides Halo thats exclusive, then they tell me to stfu.(by the way all they play are shooters, so they dont know about Ninja Gaiden shhhh)

not my thoughts but here are some.

DEEP THOUGHTS by Jack Handy..

If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink.

Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.

My favorite.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

What exactly is the Xbox Generation? I was unaware that it had achieved enough in less than 3 years to be considered it's own generation. Anyhow, the reason I own an Xbox has nothing to with graphics but more a nice line-up of exclusive titles I happen to enjoy. Actually that's the same reason I own a PS2 and GCN.

[quote name='darth007']Yea, when I ask people at school why the Xbox is supposedly superior to the inferior ps2, its cause ps2's graphics suck...thats all i ever freakin hear. I then ask them name one good game on the xbox besides Halo thats exclusive, then they tell me to stfu.(by the way all they play are shooters, so they dont know about Ninja Gaiden shhhh)[/quote]

There's a lot of good exclusive games and multiconsole games are almost always better on the Xbox, but the PS2 also has no shortage of exclusives so the obvious answer is that by now you should have an Xbox AND a PS2.

Sorry to continue this thread jack, but I've gotta throw in my fave:

Maybe we should have baby traps. Not to hurt the babies, just to keep them attached to the floor until they can be removed.

Well to be completely and utterly biased. I actually think I like Xbox better, because basically it got all the Sega titles that they wouldve made for DC. Panzeer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue and JGRF being the ones I own. Also you can't go wrong with Star Wars KOTOR, PGR2, and (obviously) Halo. I don't know what it is about the Playstation library, but it doesnt suit my tastes as well as the GCN and the Xbox. I own all three, and when I bought the PS2 i thought it would be the be all and end all. But it wasn't. The think the main reason I own a PS2 is Squaresoft (Kingdoms Hearts and Final Fanatasy), Music games (Amplitude, DDR, etc.), and odd quirky games that don't appear anywhere else. So to end the rant, they all rock... but lately I;ve been playing my Xbox and GCN more. !!

EDIT: Oh. that and all the 3rd party games that go multiconsole usually look better and run smoother on Xbox.

[quote name='Ledhed']Sorry to continue this thread jack, but I've gotta throw in my fave:

Maybe we should have baby traps. Not to hurt the babies, just to keep them attached to the floor until they can be removed.[/quote]

This seems like the perfect place for a dead baby joke, but I can't fucking think of any.

[quote name='darth007']Yea, when I ask people at school why the Xbox is supposedly superior to the inferior ps2, its cause ps2's graphics suck...thats all i ever freakin hear. I then ask them name one good game on the xbox besides Halo thats exclusive, then they tell me to stfu.(by the way all they play are shooters, so they dont know about Ninja Gaiden shhhh)[/quote]

They sound like causal gamers and graphics all that tend to matter to a causal gamer. There is nothing wrong with liking graphics though. To say that graphics don't matter is not only a lie, but it is the height of political correctness.

The thing that Xbox really has on PS2 that is a clear cut advantage is that the Xbox harddrive comes with the system and isn't add-on. Also the ability to rip your music for games is a distinct advantage. I still think the PS2 controller is overall better than anyone elses though. Also, the PS2 has more genres to choose from. For example, if someone like Japanese style RPG's, the PS2 is the only way to go. When it's all said and done though, I bet those guys are going to at least want to try GTA: San Andreas on the PS2.

I don't blame the kiddies as much as I blame the hardware industry for hyping up graphics in order to sell more expensive hardware.

And game mags/websites also hype graphics cause those hardware makers pay their salaries through advertising.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Ledhed']Sorry to continue this thread jack, but I've gotta throw in my fave:

Maybe we should have baby traps. Not to hurt the babies, just to keep them attached to the floor until they can be removed.[/quote]

This seems like the perfect place for a dead baby joke, but I can't shaq-fuing think of any.[/quote]

whats the difference btwn a truck full of a dead babies and a truck full of bowling balls?

you can't unload the truck full of bowling balls with a pitchfork

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Ledhed']Sorry to continue this thread jack, but I've gotta throw in my fave:

This seems like the perfect place for a dead baby joke, but I can't shaq-fuing think of any.[/quote]

Whats funnier than 10 dead babies in one trap? One dead baby in 10 separate traps.

i love xbox graphics but thats not y i bought the system. I own an xbox and a ps2 and can honestly say xbox is better because most of the time when i see a game for ps2, i find a better game of the same type for xbox. Example: Socom 2 and Rainbow Six3 The only reason i own a ps2 is for the gran turismo series and final fantasy series. I played all the gta games on the computer as they were released, and am pretty sure i wont be buying san andreas because the gta series is definitely getting worse. Only diehard GTA fans will enjoy it.

Finally thought of one:

What's the difference between a dead baby and an apple?

I don't eat the apple after I fuck it.

I suppose any food item would work there.

I used to have all 4 next-gen systems but ended up selling my dreamcast and xbox about a year ago. I only have one TV in my apartment and owning all of them meant wanting more games than I could possibily ever play (I think I would have the same problem if I just owned a PS2 by itself). I don't dislike xbox, but most of the games strike me as being very american and i've never been big on the FPS genre. I like games like Mr. Mosquito, games that are short and offbeat. I feel when games that aren't RPGs try to do everything on a grandoise scale, they actually lose what they were trying to attain in the first place, the fun. I also enjoy PS2 for having a large number of peripherals. I like DDR, Play, Beatmania, and most gun games. I also plan on getting Taiko Drum Master this fall. I don't think xboxers are all graphic whores, nor do I think there is anything wrong if they are. Graphics are normally the first thing to draw you into a game and they keep games interesting. I would like FFX even if they cut out the movies, but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't happier that they are in there.

[quote name='int80h'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Ledhed']Sorry to continue this thread jack, but I've gotta throw in my fave:

Whats funnier than 10 dead babies in one trap? One dead baby in 10 separate traps.[/quote]

Why did the dead baby cross the road?

Because it was stapled to a chicken.

Yeah the only reason I still have my PS2 these days is playing old school games and the FF series. Nothing else is really exciting me. IMHO the XBox has the better games coming out, but opinions vary.

Yea, when I ask people at school why the Xbox is supposedly superior to the inferior ps2, its cause ps2's graphics suck...thats all i ever freakin hear. I then ask them name one good game on the xbox besides Halo thats exclusive, then they tell me to stfu.(by the way all they play are shooters, so they dont know about Ninja Gaiden shhhh)

The PS2 is not innocent of proclaiming itself superior because of graphics. Look at the hype that surrounded it during the Dreamcast days... Oh I'll wait for a PS2 instead of buying a Dreamcast, its graphics will be soooo much better.

I own both a PS2 and an Xbox. The Xbox is the superior machine because of Xbox Live and High Definition support, let alone that the graphics are better. Plus all of the possibilities that open up if you soft-mod it, like being a network media center. Which one is better for you depends on what kind of games you like and what you want to do with it. The Xbox has some good RPG's but not enough to keep me from getting a PS2.

I like the xbox. Better online, better graphics, better sound, more games that I like. the PS2 just offers nothing to me that I feel I'm missing out on.

[quote name='dafoomie']

The PS2 is not innocent of proclaiming itself superior because of graphics. Look at the hype that surrounded it during the Dreamcast days... Oh I'll wait for a PS2 instead of buying a Dreamcast, its graphics will be soooo much better.

I own both a PS2 and an Xbox. The Xbox is the superior machine because of Xbox Live and High Definition support, let alone that the graphics are better. Plus all of the possibilities that open up if you soft-mod it, like being a network media center. Which one is better for you depends on what kind of games you like and what you want to do with it. The Xbox has some good RPG's but not enough to keep me from getting a PS2.[/quote]

I love my Xbox as much as the next person...But seriously, the Hi-def support has been a joke up to this point.

I have a PS2, Xbox, and GCN. I honestly love them all equally because of the exclusive games each offer. If a game comes out for all consoles, I'll usually choose which ones gets reviewed better, or the Xbox version because of the better graphics.

I love my Xbox as much as the next person...But seriously, the Hi-def support has been a joke up to this point.

Really? Because I play my Xbox with a HD to VGA adapter, and its no joke for me. You must be one of those people that don't consider 480p to be "real" high-def. Playing most games at 480p on my monitor looks pretty highly defined to me.

[quote name='dafoomie']

Really? Because I play my Xbox with a HD to VGA adapter, and its no joke for me. You must be one of those people that don't consider 480p to be "real" high-def. Playing most games at 480p on my monitor looks pretty highly defined to me.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't consider 480p as HD support...I was talking about the lackluster 720p/1080i support for Xbox games. Almost all Xbox games have 480p support, it's no big deal to me though.

Yeah, I don't consider 480p as HD support...I was talking about the lackluster 720p/1080i support for Xbox games. Almost all Xbox games have 480p support, it's no big deal to me though.

I would love to see more 720p games, thats for sure, but Xbox HD support is better by comparison because ps2 only supports 480p max, and most games don't even do that, while nearly every Xbox game does 480p. Which irritates the hell out of me because my adapter doesn't support 480i.

There does need to be more 720p games and maybe that'll be the standard for Xbox 2.

[quote name='Trakan']I have a PS2, Xbox, and GCN. I honestly love them all equally because of the exclusive games each offer. If a game comes out for all consoles, I'll usually choose which ones gets reviewed better, or the Xbox version because of the better graphics.[/quote]

I also have all 3 and usually for me it comes down to controller first (I won't play Tony Hawk on anything besides the DS2, for example) and then graphics. However, custom soundtracks do have a bit of sway with me. Sometimes I'll fire up my xbox just so I can listen to music and have something to do at the same time.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was GC only for a while....I grew up on Nintendo, and I think it's 1st party titles are the true MUST haves. For a while I stuck to GC and PC, but after I while I started to see a lot of console-only games that were either PS2 or Xbox exclusive, or just excluded the Gamecube. I was really pissed off that MVP 2003 didn't come out on the cube (this was before the $99 price cut and a lot of people buying it.) I decided to get an xbox because, as others have mentioned, I think the multiplatform games are best on it, and it had more exclusives I really wanted to play. I don't care for RPGs.....not taking anything away from the PS2, it is a great system....and I do want to play GTA:SA...but I will probably just wait for the PC...

I own all 3 also and PS2 (GC doesnt really count) online play and community comes no where close to xbox live. Most, if not all my online games are bought on the xbox if the title is multiplatform.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Trakan']I have a PS2, Xbox, and GCN. I honestly love them all equally because of the exclusive games each offer. If a game comes out for all consoles, I'll usually choose which ones gets reviewed better, or the Xbox version because of the better graphics.[/quote]

I also have all 3 and usually for me it comes down to controller first (I won't play Tony Hawk on anything besides the DS2, for example) and then graphics. However, custom soundtracks do have a bit of sway with me. Sometimes I'll fire up my xbox just so I can listen to music and have something to do at the same time.[/quote]

I get multiplatform games for the cube mainly due to the wavebird, and secondly because Nintendo makes my favorite games and I want to support them.

I didn't buy a PS2 because I think the SNES RPG's are still superior to the PS2 RPG's. I think RPG's, like fighters, are better in 2D.

Project Gotham 2, Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars KOTOR

[quote name='GuilewasNK']They sound like causal gamers and graphics all that tend to matter to a causal gamer. There is nothing wrong with liking graphics though. To say that graphics don't matter is not only a lie, but it is the height of political correctness.
[/quote]

think of video games as women. what is the first thing you see in a woman? their looks right (graphics/eye candy)? then you get to know them and they're either nice/intelligent/great personality (great gameplay) or a bitch/stupid (bad gameplay). so yea most people will talk about graphics just like guys talk about how good looking their other half is however good personality (good gameplay) wins, at least, my heart.

All consoles have their stong points and cater to different tastes...

I only own a PS2 and Gamecube... I haven't enjoyed any games on Xbox enough to warrant a purchase, although I love Jet Grind Radio.

Graphics don't have to matter, if a game is completely amazing, I don't care what it looks like. I loved my commodore 64 even when I had SNES. Graphics are a strange thing... I personally think the SNES aged a lot better than N64 and PSone.

jshorr Posted: September 2, 2004, 2:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was GC only for a while....I grew up on Nintendo, and I think it's 1st party titles are the true MUST haves. For a while I stuck to GC and PC, but after I while I started to see a lot of console-only games that were either PS2 or Xbox exclusive, or just excluded the Gamecube. I was really pissed off that MVP 2003 didn't come out on the cube (this was before the $99 price cut and a lot of people buying it.) I decided to get an xbox because, as others have mentioned, I think the multiplatform games are best on it, and it had more exclusives I really wanted to play. I don't care for RPGs.....not taking anything away from the PS2, it is a great system....and I do want to play GTA:SA...but I will probably just wait for the PC...

I got GCN at launch and didn't get Xbox till about 6 months later. At the time I was pro-Sega and their most ambitious projects were headed to the box. After about a year I got a PS2 and ditched the box. For the longest time I considered Nintendo's consoles to be the best, but something changed my mind. I explained earlier in this thread why I like the PS2, but the reason I stopped being a Nintendo loyalist was because all their exclusives started heading to the PS2 (Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic, ToS, Killer 7, Virtua Quest, etc.) and suddenly games that were planned for all 3 consoles went PS2/XBOX, instead. Not only that, but I felt like Nintendo wasn't trying as hard as they used to (Zelda:WW, SMS, emulation problems with the Zelda Collection). Their games seem to never go down in price and games like Super Mario 128 magically vanish in thin air. I still consider F-Zero GX and SSBM to be in my top 5 games for this generation, but Nintendo will really have to fight to get me to buy the Revolution. I think I wasted a lot of money by owning a GCN and XB, because there's never a point in time where I have every game I could ever want for PS2. PS2 easily comes out with 2 to 3 games each month that I want, and it normally takes me about 3 weeks to be a game of average length. The only 3 games i'm definitely getting for GCN are Paper Mario, Super Monkey Ball 3 (if it's for real), and the next Zelda. If I still owned an Xbox, I don't even know what i'd be looking foward to... probably Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and Outrun.

I have all three next-gens, and I love my GCN first, because of Nintendo's first-party games and some of the odder games that occasionally make it to the Cube (like Cubivore). PS2 is second because of its larger game library (more weird games, mmm) and exclusives that didn't make it to the GC. XBOX, on the other hand, doesn't really have any exclusives that entice me. I don't care all that much about graphics, and I don't care about online gaming.

(Although maybe I'm just not much of a console gamer, though. I've noticed that I love my GBA SP more than any of the above.)

Just my .02

FLAME ON! well look at it this way, if the system was that powerful and wasn't a system that could flaunt it, that would suck. i don't have an xbox but i would not by any means call it a system for graphics whores.

[quote name='dafoomie']

I would love to see more 720p games, thats for sure, but Xbox HD support is better by comparison because ps2 only supports 480p max, and most games don't even do that, while nearly every Xbox game does 480p. Which irritates the hell out of me because my adapter doesn't support 480i.

There does need to be more 720p games and maybe that'll be the standard for Xbox 2.[/quote]

People treat 480P support as beneath notice until they get a good screen and the right connection. Then, those games lacking 480P begin to seem terribly flickery and annoying by comparison. Anyone who thinks 480P isn't a worthy HD mode hasn't had it as part of their lives.

Yes, more attractive graphics are only important when considering a game that is on all 3 systems. After that it comes down to software support: which companies are going to support which system, for whatever reason. Sega's teams, Team Ninja, and most PC software companies seem to like Xbox; Square, Capcom, and Konami mostly prefer PS2, and Rockstar has some kind of exclusive GTA deal with them; and Nintendo has itself and a few 2nd parties, as well as some of Capcom's stuff, etc.

idk, the PS2 still seems to be getting the games i'm looking forward to most, especially in the RPG department. it kills xbox in the adventure genre: Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Sly Cooper, etc. Xbox is best for FPSs. and RPGs and FPSs are my two favorite genres of games.

If anything, the PS2 gen are the graphics whores. That's what killed the Dreamcast, all the people who flocked over to Sony for the graphics (PS2 launch sucked and their lineup was utter crap for a good half year).

[quote name='daikaiju']PFEH! All this idle chit chat about 480 support and so on...I was watching this thread for the dead baby jokes.[/quote]

Q: How do you make a baby cry twice?
A: Wipe your bloody cock on his teddy bear

Last May some people broke into my apt, and stole my PS2, Xbox and all my games (they left my GC only because it was in a cabinet) Ripped off around 50 of my games for all three platforms. Within 4 months I got my Xbox back, and only last week did I get a PS2 (a gift from my gf) the only reason I wanted the PS2 back was because of all the exclusive titles, and the fact that they left me my PS1 titles.

For me it was because I was tired of the exclusives. If there was a game for all three systems I'd typically buy for the Xbox anyway.

BTW: Q: What is long, black and makes women scream?

A: Crib Death

It's odd, because in my case I talk to people who prefer ps2 over xbox and gcn and when asked why, they also say stfu. I believe that those people exist no matter what system they like, but whatever. The thing that I cannot stand are the people who like a system only because they like the company name. For example if the next playstation, xbox, or nintendo system or what have you was to come out and just completely suck, there would still be people defending the system to their death. I used to be a big nintendo fan, I loved my n64 and couldn't wait for the release of gamecube, but looked down upon xbox despite its great features. I'm glad I am not like that now, I own all 3 systems, like all 3 systems, but like xbox the best due to the great online service, harddrive, built in 4 player support etc.

bread's done
Back