Great GC games...

Squall835

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
I luckily got a Wii yesterday, and having never owned a GC, I was wondering if everyone here could list the best, can't-miss games for that system. I plan on picking up MGS: Twin Snakes, but other than that, I got nothing.

Dont bother with Wind Waker, you'll spend half your playtime in the stupid boat (though the game isnt bad itself).

[quote name='Arakias']Dont bother with Wind Waker, you'll spend half your playtime in the stupid boat (though the game isnt bad itself).[/QUOTE]
While collecting triforce pieces. It was a good game until they destroyed it with that.

Metroid Prime 1 was pretty good (MP2 had waay too much item collecting). Eternal Darkness is awesome in almost every way. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.

[quote name='Arakias']Dont bother with Wind Waker, you'll spend half your playtime in the stupid boat (though the game isnt bad itself).[/QUOTE]

Bite your tongue! The Wind Waker is a beautifully done game. Sure, the Triforce quest is a bit of a drag, but everything else about the game is pretty spectacular. The sense of wonder and exploration is inspired.

Anyway, aside from Super Mario Sunshine, Pikim 1&2, LoZ: WW, and Metroid Prime, I'd also recommend:

Tales of Symphonia (great RPG)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (another spectacular RPG)
Chibi-Robo (one of the very best games of last generation)
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (bongo controlled platformer greatness)

I second the recommendation for Tales of Symphonia - it's an excelent game (as well as a pretty good multiplayer game if you have patient friends)

Really it depends on the kind of games that you like... here are some of the ones I own that I enjoy:

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Soul Calibur II
Zelda Windwaker
Metroid Prime
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (if you don't have it for other systems)

If you have more than one game boy advance (or SP) or have friends with some:
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

If you have friends to play with, Smash Brothers is the obvious non-mentioned choice. Also, most of the Mario Parties are fun with four people. The Super Monkey Ball games ate up a lot of my time. Other than that, a lot of stuff has already been mentioned.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Resident Evil 4 yet (probably because it came out on PS2 also). I think it ranks as easily one of the best games of last generation, on any system. It has good replayability too with the unlockable bonus modes.

Other recommended titles: Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and if you need an RPG fix - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Baten Kaitos, and Tales of Symphonia.

I like Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, personally. Also, the Donkey Kongas are fun (and can be had new for $20 with bongos at EB/Gamestop). Ikaruga (if you can find it), and also that collector's disc for Zelda with all the old games on it.

Paper Mario: Legend of the Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Resident Evil 0 - 4
Fire Emblem
Tales of Symphonia
F-Zero

I actually don't mind these threads popping up every once in a while, but there are definitely some comprehensive Gamecube "best of" threads floating around in the Gamecube section if you do a search.

While it's not RE4, Resident Evil 1 (REmake) is one of my favorite games the for Gamecube. Ihe atmosphere is awesome, complete with impressive music and excellent (though pre-rendered) graphics.

For exclusives:

Luigi's Mansion (I loved this too)
Eternal Darkness-easily one of the best survival horror games ever
Pikmin 1 (2 wasn't nearly as good IMO)
Starfox Adventures-better than Zelda IMO (and amazing graphics too)
Zelda-very good. Well worth $20 obviously.
Metroid Prime-surprisingly good 3D adaptation of the Metroid gameplay (haven't play 2)
Paper Mario-not great, and not as good as the Mario & Luigi games, but a solid entry in the "Mario RPG" genre

Chibi Robo is supposed to be great, but I haven't played it yet. I'm probably forgetting something, but those are the big ones.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Beyond Good and Evil[/QUOTE]

That was a great game that I liked better than Zelda, but I didn't list it because it's also on three other platforms.

Gasp! Has no one mentioned Super Smash Bros.??

Metroid Prime (one of the best)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (action-RPG)
Bomberman: Jetters (B: Generation is okay, but Jetters is better(s))
Zelda: Wind Waker
Pikmin or Pikmin 2 (2 has mulitplayer, 1 does not)
Star Fox: Assault
Donkey Konga (the first one, plus bongos, but only if you have someone to play with)
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Animal Crossing (it's a bit different but same concept as the DS version)
Mario Party 6 (if you have friends to play with, I'd recommend 6 over 7)
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams (because it doesn't have the PS2 glitch)
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf
Paper Mario
Super Monkey Ball 2

I'd recommend starting with the Player's Choice titles to get the ball rolling.

Eh, I don't like Super Smash Bros.

I totally forgot Mario Party though! Those games are crazy fun if you're playing with other people.
Personally I don't like the Gamecube Mario Golf. I prefered Hot Shots Golf and Mario Golf on the GBC.

[quote name='Puppy']That was a great game that I liked better than Zelda, but I didn't list it because it's also on three other platforms.[/quote]

I only listed it because not enough people have played this awesome game regardless of the three platforms it was released on. Such a good game....

What nobody mentioned Sonic Adventure 1&2? Fast paced platforming action, good graphics and a great soundtrack.

Sonic mega collection
Fire Emblem
Skies of Arcadia
ANIMAL CROSSING
Resident evil's 1 & 4

[quote name='xeverex18']Baiton Chaos AKA crono cross 2
All the Mario sports except for golf.
Melee!![/QUOTE]
He means Baten Kaitos, and it's not that great. Of course, neither was Chrono Cross, so the comparison holds.

I'm looking into getting some GC games for my Wii too. I like most FPS games, but I'm used to the two analog sticks, one for moving, one for aiming. Does Metroid Prime work the same way?

[quote name='rickonker']I'm looking into getting some GC games for my Wii too. I like most FPS games, but I'm used to the two analog sticks, one for moving, one for aiming. Does Metroid Prime work the same way?[/QUOTE]
Nope, you only use one analog stick with metroid prime. The c-stick is used to change weapons.

[quote name='rickonker']What do you use for moving and aiming? Is the stick for moving, and there's auto aim or something?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played MP in awhile, so my memory is not the freshest, however I believe there is an auto target feature if you hold one of the shoulder buttons. And you can strafe then. I've seen MP for only $5 used at several GameStops (different states), so I'd really recommend picking it up. I would recommend it for $20, even, but shop around and you should find a great deal on it.

There is, of course, GoldenEye, Killer 7, Resident Evil and so forth on the Cube if you don't already have them for a different platform.

Metroid Prime's control worked great. It's not a first person shooter though (unlike the HIDEOUS DS game), but rather a real Metroid game.

[quote name='f4t4lfury']I haven't played MP in awhile, so my memory is not the freshest, however I believe there is an auto target feature if you hold one of the shoulder buttons. And you can strafe then. I've seen MP for only $5 used at several GameStops (different states), so I'd really recommend picking it up. I would recommend it for $20, even, but shop around and you should find a great deal on it.

There is, of course, GoldenEye, Killer 7, Resident Evil and so forth on the Cube if you don't already have them for a different platform.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I think for that price I will go ahead and try it soon.

i second
eternal darkness , the best gaming experience i have had in a very long time, even got my wife intangled in its web
mario sunshine
wind waker was cool, you just need to take a break every so often from it because the boating can get boring
there is more but its still early :)

[quote name='Puppy']Eh, I don't like Super Smash Bros. [/quote]

I know I've been an asshole before, but I'm totally 100% not trying to be one with this request. I was just talking about this with a buddy of mine the other day, and I think that SSBM is one of the best games ever made (surely a progressive concept in the world, since the game is so unpopular, did not sell, and it totally doesn't have a whole website dedicated to its sequel, of which no one keeps track of), and I said that I don't think I can understand why anyone would dislike it. Can you shed some insight? I'm just curious as to why.

To the OP: Make sure to give Wind Waker a try. I'm replaying it right now (I am seriously swamped with school work, so it's "lite" gaming until the 15th), and I have to say this: it's just as good the second time around.

Luigi's Mansion and Beyond Good and Evil are my favorites on the Cube. WarioWare, Inc. is exceptional fun for what it is.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I know I've been an asshole before, but I'm totally 100% not trying to be one with this request. I was just talking about this with a buddy of mine the other day, and I think that SSBM is one of the best games ever made (surely a progressive concept in the world, since the game is so unpopular, did not sell, and it totally doesn't have a whole website dedicated to its sequel, of which no one keeps track of), and I said that I don't think I can understand why anyone would dislike it. Can you shed some insight? I'm just curious as to why.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I also do not like SSBM. I find it boring and a button mashing mess. Just way too confusing to try to figure out what is going on, especially with four people playing at once. Just my $.02.

R~

I don't really have a chance to play them multiplayer-maybe they're only fun multiplayer?

Single player I've just never liked them much. They made for an "okay" rental, and I sort of enjoyed messing around with different Nintendo characters, but they just seemed really weak compared to Powerstone or Street Fighter or Virtua Figher or whatever.

FWIW, I also do not like SSBM. I find it boring and a button mashing mess. Just way too confusing to try to figure out what is going on, especially with four people playing at once. Just my $.02.

I totally understand that. As much as I would want to argue with you about "the genious of game mechanics," I say the same thing verbatim about Virtua Fighter that some of my friends really go apeshit over.

I can't stand SSBM either. To me it's incredibly boring and repetitive, and not in a good way. If a game is going to be repetitive, I expect more strategic depth.

If you're into Zelda, you're going to want to get every Zelda game released for GC. That includes:

Wind Waker
Collector's Disc
Master Quest Bonus Disc
Four Swords Adventures

They're all fantastic, but as I said, only if you're a big Zelda fan. Otherwise just stick with Wind Waker.

I'd also reccomend Ikaruga and Resident Evil 4. In all honesty, those are the only games I kept for the GC along with my Zelda games.

[quote name='chimpian']i second
eternal darkness , the best gaming experience i have had in a very long time, even got my wife intangled in its web
[/quote]
Yes! That was the very first GameCube game I bought and it was worth every cent even at $50!! It was so fun I finished it three times in a row. I never play a game more than once unless I really like it. You can now get the game for almost nothing, if anybody here has a Wii or Gamecube do yourselves a favor and pick this one up.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']If you're into Zelda, you're going to want to get every Zelda game released for GC. That includes:

Wind Waker
Collector's Disc
Master Quest Bonus Disc
Four Swords Adventures

They're all fantastic, but as I said, only if you're a big Zelda fan. Otherwise just stick with Wind Waker.
[/quote]
Is Four Swords Adventures any fun in single player mode? I hate co-op or online games so I never bought it even though I'm a big Zelda fan (I own all the other games you mentioned)

[quote name='MarioColbert']I know I've been an asshole before, but I'm totally 100% not trying to be one with this request. I was just talking about this with a buddy of mine the other day, and I think that SSBM is one of the best games ever made (surely a progressive concept in the world, since the game is so unpopular, did not sell, and it totally doesn't have a whole website dedicated to its sequel, of which no one keeps track of), and I said that I don't think I can understand why anyone would dislike it. Can you shed some insight? I'm just curious as to why.[/quote]
SSBM pales in comparison to SB on the 64. 1) On the 64 you could feel the hits and power hits and throwing actually made people move. On the cube, SSBM, you couldn't move anyone until they had huge damage and it seemed like little crap moves where u just tap A were more effective than charge up/power moves. 2) Also they made it nearly impossible to smack down people into the abyss when they were out over the ledge. I love throwing someone off the platform then seeing if they can get back on without me kicking them down. 3) Some of the levels in SSBM had too much going on, half the time you find yourself jumping around trying not to fall off as opposed to just going at it with the other people.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, i did like all the weird extra modes in SSBM but the fighting mechanics were too big a drawback to pull me away from the 64 version.

As for the original OPs question, i would reccommend all mario sports games but with the wii controls and impending versions of those games obviously coming out for the wii i would probably hold off on those. Although mario golf is definately the best golf game i have played. Mario Kart DD is an easy choice as well. As for non-mario games that havent been mentioned i'd say if you like imports go with Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4.

Personally I'd rent the Gamecube Mario Golf first. I really didn't like it. I loved the first one on the GBC with the RPG elements, and I thought a more fun golf game too.

bread's done
Back