Great RPGs for under $20?

flufflogic

CAG Veteran
I have been playing Knights of the Old Republic for some time now but I think I need something new, but I just don't have the funds for something like Dragon Age: Origins and Fallout 3 doesn't work well on my laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[quote name='flufflogic']I have been playing Knights of the Old Republic for some time now but I think I need something new, but I just don't have the funds for something like Dragon Age: Origins and Fallout 3 doesn't work well on my laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Check out my list - There are many RPGs in there - All Free and Legal :)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244468

You could probably score Morrowind and the expansions for under $20 somewhere. The Witcher is $20 as well and both are excellent.

[quote name='Jodou']You could probably score Morrowind and the expansions for under $20 somewhere. The Witcher is $20 as well and both are excellent.[/QUOTE]
Right, Morrowind plus both expansions sells for $19.99. And with The Witcher, you can buy the base game for under $20 and then download the EE content for free! The one thing I see wrong with The Witcher, is that it needs a higher graphics card than an older laptop would have.

i saw oblivion on the clearance rack at my local walmart for like $17 or $19... something like that. but its walmart and thats a big YMMV. actually, looks like its only $15 at amazon.

diablo 2 for under 20 and the box set for $40.

mass effect is under $20 at amazon.

fallout 3 is $30 at amazon.

KOTOR 2 is also under $20, if youre willing to pay $15 a month world of warcraft is cheap and endlessly deep, the witcher is under $20 (my friend enjoyed it), titan quest (diablo clone) is also very cheap $10 for the game and expansion.

[quote name='flufflogic']I have been playing Knights of the Old Republic for some time now but I think I need something new, but I just don't have the funds for something like Dragon Age: Origins and Fallout 3 doesn't work well on my laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Do you have KOTOR working on a newer dual or quad processor? I bought it from Steam for $2.50 but haven't been able to get it to work. Supposedly the multi-core processors is the problem.

[quote name='boneless']Do you have KOTOR working on a newer dual or quad processor? I bought it from Steam for $2.50 but haven't been able to get it to work. Supposedly the multi-core processors is the problem.[/QUOTE]

Make a shortcut to it. Run it in Windows XP or 98 mode - You should be fine after that.

[quote name='Megazell']Make a shortcut to it. Run it in Windows XP or 98 mode - You should be fine after that.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I still can't get KOTOR to work. I tried win98, 2000, XP sp2 and XP sp3 modes. I'm running windows 7 pro and I keep getting the "stopped working" error immediately.

@Boneless: Tried running it on Admin? The compatibility mode trick is what worked for my old roommate, but he's running Vista. EDIT: I've been hitting my usual support forums, and it appears that there might be an issue regarding certain graphic cards. Apparently some Nvidia drivers are interfering with the game somehow. If that's your case, have you tried updating your drivers? If that doesn't help, see here.

@Flufflogic: Aside from what was mentioned already, ever consider browsing GoG.com?

[quote name='boneless']Sorry to hijack this thread, but I still can't get KOTOR to work. I tried win98, 2000, XP sp2 and XP sp3 modes. I'm running windows 7 pro and I keep getting the "stopped working" error immediately.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.

Not sure then. We have a few W7 machines @ the center. KOTOR was brought in by co-workers and we solved that problem by running it in Windows 98 mode.

You can also get the download version from EA but you have to back up your game manually in order to not pay for their crap extended download service.

if you are looking for some good PC RPG games under $20, go with the classics (at least, classics in my time heh):

1. Planescape Torment
2. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (can probably be found in a collection)
3. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (can probably be found in a collection as well)

All of these came out about 10 years or so ago, so they should run fine on today's laptops.

Funny, I was thinking Torment was a bit costlier than that, but looking at eBay, it can be had for ~$20. Get it, motherfucker. Or I will cut you.

[quote name='The Crotch']Funny, I was thinking Torment was a bit costlier than that, but looking at eBay, it can be had for ~$20. Get it, motherfucker. Or I will cut you.[/QUOTE]

It was reprinted a year or two ago for $20. You can pick it up on gogamer.com for that price + shipping if you don't want to deal with ebay.

[quote name='Brownjohn']It was reprinted a year or two ago for $20. You can pick it up on gogamer.com for that price + shipping if you don't want to deal with ebay.[/QUOTE]
They were actually re-printed a few months ago for sale in the UK. They are all available on Amazon right now at the following prices.

Planescape Torment: $19.90 (only 3 left)
Balder's Gate 4 in 1 (complete BG 1 & 2): $19.99
Icewind Dale 3 in 1 (complete ID 1& 2): $18.99

The only series I don't already have is the Icewind Dale series (I just might order it right now!). But I highly recommend all of them.

[quote name='Brownjohn']It was reprinted a year or two ago for $20. You can pick it up on gogamer.com for that price + shipping if you don't want to deal with ebay.[/QUOTE]
So it was. Glorious! Planescape Torment for all!

You can get Diablo 2 and the expansion for about 8$ via purchasing a set of cd-keys from a site and entering the key into the blizzard store.

Also, you can get the guild wars trilogy for 15$ at Best Buy.

Decided to "splurge" on Torchlight during the Steam Sale.

For the price I paid for it, It's a ton of fun, infinite re-playability, and it will give you something to do until Diablo 3 gets out. Even at $20, the game is a STEAL

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is free & has an awesome single player game if you like nethack sytle RPGs. The graphics aren't amazing, but the gameplay great. http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/ Be sure to download the tiles version for windows. It has a great built in tutorial, be sure to pay attention. (you'll die a lot, but that is part of the fun!)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Dungeon Runners is free.[/QUOTE]

Dungeons Runners closes down at the end of this month. I have been playing D&D Online though for free.

I second the fallout and NWN series,
If you are looking for a hack and slash try titans quest(it's like diablo 2.5)
If you are looking for an rpg shooter try deus ex(it's more of a shooter with heavy rpg elements, but a must play for any pc gamer)

[quote name='espionage']if you are looking for some good PC RPG games under $20, go with the classics (at least, classics in my time heh):

1. Planescape Torment
2. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (can probably be found in a collection)
3. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (can probably be found in a collection as well)

All of these came out about 10 years or so ago, so they should run fine on today's laptops.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy. Also GOG is having a Holiday sale, checvk them out for some great deals on older RPGs. If you can get past the graphics there's some excellent bargains that'll give you a ton of gameplay.

I highly recommend against Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale unless you think you can put up with some seriously restricting mechanics from ye olde days of gaming. The games have aged horribly but are good for a reminder of all the improvements that have been made to streamline the genre.

[quote name='crystalklear64']You can get Diablo 2 and the expansion for about 8$ via purchasing a set of cd-keys from a site and entering the key into the blizzard store.

Also, you can get the guild wars trilogy for 15$ at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

do you have any links to sites that sell diablo 2 cd keys?

Can get titan quest and the expansion for cheap. Best diablo clone since diablo 2 imo. Was a lot more fun than torchlight to me, just overall much more interesting locations and monsters and lore. Fantastic dual class job tree class system as well.

[quote name='dude2003']do you have any links to sites that sell diablo 2 cd keys?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you want to ask that. I do believe that links to key only stores are against the rules here.

I wasn't aware of that rule, but the site I've used in the past and by others in the CAG d2 group has the set of keys for 5.45$ now. That should help you in your search.

[quote name='hohez']Can get titan quest and the expansion for cheap. Best diablo clone since diablo 2 imo. Was a lot more fun than torchlight to me, just overall much more interesting locations and monsters and lore. Fantastic dual class job tree class system as well.[/QUOTE]

OddJob/Amazing Savings/Lots Less have Titan's Quest with the expansion for $3.99

bread's done
Back