Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

[quote name='JamesJoyce']Have you followed the discussion among game makers about how production costs are completely getting out of hands? We are talking about double digit millions, to create the content for an AAA game. There is no way they can sell games cheaper, they are hardly making their money back these days. It's definitely your worst case scenario we are seeing here.
And who in their right mind would pay $60 when they knew that they could get the game for $10 3 months later.

On Topic: the Hitman deal is on the homepage now, they seem to have removed the credit/cashback option. I hope mine will still come through.
Either way, still a great deal, glad I didn't bite earlier.

Now back to making room on my SSD for this monster...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I bought it, there wasn't a credit/cashback offer. not complaining though. Can't beat $10 this close after release.

When i saw this great offer i rushed to GMG and pressed BUY! but guess what? cannot complete order, as usual... every damn game i want to buy from GMG i must send a support ticket, after a couple of hours, or even days, they answer :

"Hi,

I've made further amendments so please try again and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,"

Then i buy the game, and after that, if i want another game.. then i must send another ticket.
It's mind blowing that a site, well known as GMG has this "bug" for so long, and don't ever adressed it in a official post or something.

I never have a problem with paypal. I have all the problems in the world if I pay with a credit card. Think I'll offload my xbox copy and get this one.

In in for hitman. It said 27gb which scared me since i have a cap but luckily comcast raised it to 450gb even though they said they "lifted it" still better then 250gb. Turns out the game is only 13gb as well.

[quote name='styl3s']In in for hitman. It said 27gb which scared me since i have a cap but luckily comcast raised it to 450gb even though they said they "lifted it" still better then 250gb. Turns out the game is only 13gb as well.[/QUOTE]

You're lucky. I only have a 50GB cap so I'm waiting until midnight to download the game (no data cap between midnight and 8am).

A Binomial Nut Shot (anagram) is only a 13.5 GB download, I assume it'll take the full 25 GB on disk, halfway downloaded, hours left to go.

I'm glad to hear Crapcast upped their cap to 450gb. I can hit that on my 6 Mbps connection (uncapped).

[quote name='asheskitty']Hitman Ab will be $12.50 tomorrow, I'm assuming 20% will stack.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']A Binomial Nut Shot (anagram) is only a 13.5 GB download, I assume it'll take the full 25 GB on disk, halfway downloaded, hours left to go.

I'm glad to hear Crapcast upped their cap to 450gb. I can hit that on my 6 Mbps connection (uncapped).[/QUOTE]
Yeah me too. Unfortunately my options are crapcast or crapverse and crapverse is worse and has a 250gb cap.

250 was fine before i bought a gaming PC, on average i would just hit 150-200 but i finally got a gaming PC last month and hit about 432gb which is how i found out about the 450gb raise (if you go over 450gb they add 50gb and bill you $10) i doubt i will get that high again unless i go on a huge buying spree like i did last month and i hope i don't because my wallet can't handle this.. I dread these summer/winter steam sales i have been hearing about for years.

Is the Hitman Steam key region locked? I already have the game, but showed the deal to a friend in the Netherlands. The price for her shows as €14.99. If I buy it, will she be able to activate the key? I don't want to waste 10 bucks if she won't be able to activate it.

[quote name='Miranda']Is the Hitman Steam key region locked? I already have the game, but showed the deal to a friend in the Netherlands. The price for her shows as €14.99. If I buy it, will she be able to activate the key? I don't want to waste 10 bucks if she won't be able to activate it.[/QUOTE]

It redeems on steam as "Hitman Absolution Professional WW" I'm guessing the WW is worldwide, but I'm no expert on the regional stuff.

[quote name='asheskitty']It redeems on steam as "Hitman Absolution Professional WW" I'm guessing the WW is worldwide, but I'm no expert on the regional stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info :)

[quote name='JamesJoyce']Have you followed the discussion among game makers about how production costs are completely getting out of hands? We are talking about double digit millions, to create the content for an AAA game. There is no way they can sell games cheaper, they are hardly making their money back these days. It's definitely your worst case scenario we are seeing here.
And who in their right mind would pay $60 when they knew that they could get the game for $10 3 months later.

On Topic: the Hitman deal is on the homepage now, they seem to have removed the credit/cashback option. I hope mine will still come through.
Either way, still a great deal, glad I didn't bite earlier.

Now back to making room on my SSD for this monster...[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, good sales encourage people to consider buying a game that they never would have bought in the past. As an example here, I know I had absolutely no interest in paying more than $15 for Hitman Absolution. For $5-$10, I'm certainly much more keen to check it out. Sales broaden the market of potential customers for a game.
At the same time, games I'm excited for I'll probably buy well before it hits that sub-$10-$15 price point. Bioshock Infinite may very well be $20 by the summer, but I want to play it close to release, and so I'll take advance of that $45 deal on GMG.

Gamasutra had a great article on this with topic on how Developers feel about Steam sales:

According to indie developer and Super Meat Boy co-creator Edmund McMillen, these promotions can increase sales to an almost staggering extent. His 2D dungeon crawler The Binding of Isaac, for example, saw sales multiply by five when it was marked down by 50 percent, and once it hit the front page as a temporary "Flash Deal" (for 75 percent off), sales multiplied by sixty.

"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.

Good deal on Hitman, but I'll hold out until it's $5 or less.

[quote name='asheskitty']A Binomial Nut Shot (anagram) is only a 13.5 GB download, I assume it'll take the full 25 GB on disk, halfway downloaded, hours left to go.

I'm glad to hear Crapcast upped their cap to 450gb. I can hit that on my 6 Mbps connection (uncapped).[/QUOTE]

Wha? It was 250 when I checked a few days ago. I'm going to have to look into this.

[quote name='V878']On the other hand, good sales encourage people to consider buying a game that they never would have bought in the past. As an example here, I know I had absolutely no interest in paying more than $15 for Hitman Absolution. For $5-$10, I'm certainly much more keen to check it out. Sales broaden the market of potential customers for a game.
At the same time, games I'm excited for I'll probably buy well before it hits that sub-$10-$15 price point. Bioshock Infinite may very well be $20 by the summer, but I want to play it close to release, and so I'll take advance of that $45 deal on GMG.

Gamasutra had a great article on this with topic on how Developers feel about Steam sales:

According to indie developer and Super Meat Boy co-creator Edmund McMillen, these promotions can increase sales to an almost staggering extent. His 2D dungeon crawler The Binding of Isaac, for example, saw sales multiply by five when it was marked down by 50 percent, and once it hit the front page as a temporary "Flash Deal" (for 75 percent off), sales multiplied by sixty.

"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I know this as well, though the >10fold increase refers in all likelihood to small indie games, not AAA titles. But steam sales used to be -75% after a year or so. Now we have -80% after 3 months. At this point developers might be losing more full price customers than they can make up for with CAGs.

Can anyone tell me... Does greenman.com hand out pre-order steam keys early enough to preload? Thinking about picking up Tomb Raider @ 36

[quote name='Guilty']Can anyone tell me... Does greenman.com hand out pre-order steam keys early enough to preload? Thinking about picking up Tomb Raider @ 36[/QUOTE]

It's hit and miss with them but I got my tr code from them Friday.

[quote name='pROvIs']It's hit and miss with them but I got my tr code from them Friday.[/QUOTE]

I took the plunge and recieved the codes straight away.

Now if only steam would mess up and give me those preorder bonuses to boot.

^_^

[quote name='zenii']No need to jump down people's throats.

He said you were wrong, he didn't call you a liar, there's a difference...[/QUOTE]

One part of that, I was just trying to strongly warn against relying on pricetrackers as the end-all-be-all, they miss a fair bit of stuff -- and anything that has a coupon/code/BOGO. The sale I picked up JC2 was pretty well known on and off of CAG. It's more work, but if you really want to know the lowest price, doing something like wading through search results on slickdeals is what you need to do.

Also, if you're going to challenge me, you'd better be right! :twisted: Naturally, I'm a ginger.

I take it well when challenged correctly, like this weekend in the steam thread with the DX:HR deals.

[quote name='asheskitty']
I take it well when challenged correctly, like this weekend in the steam thread with the DX:HR deals.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're slipping, Ashes... :p

[quote name='MysterD']Yeah, you're slipping, Ashes... :p[/QUOTE]

I think all the sex, drugs, and cheapass games might be catching up with me. ^_~

[quote name='asheskitty']I think all the sex, drugs, and cheapass games might be catching up with me. ^_~[/QUOTE]

Hey, you said it, not me. :p

But, you also forgot the rock-n-roll... ;)

[quote name='hollowfreak']I had Tomb Raider preloaded Sat., there was an update for it this morning, and I'm assuming it'll unlock at midnight?[/QUOTE]

It should unlock at midnight EST.

[quote name='MysterD']Hey, you said it, not me. :p

But, you also forgot the rock-n-roll... ;)[/QUOTE]

Darkwave, synthpop, techo, electro, electronica, trance, symphonic/melodic powermetal (and many other very speciifc "power/metal" genres), dark cabaret, etc but really not much on the Rock-n-Roll. The closest might be certain bits of Rockabilly, e.g. Deadbolt.

Edit: Punk, I forgot punk. /facepalm (certain sub-genres of it)

Deadbolt - Voodoo Trucker

[quote name='MysterD']@Ashes
LOL!
I also think the racing-games are getting to you too, Ashes... :p[/QUOTE]

All those digital petrol fumes! :lol:

If anything the racing games keep me sane, I can play those when I'm bad state, because all they demand of me is to control my speed and steering (very very well) ... easy right?

[quote name='asheskitty']All those digital petrol fumes! :lol:

If anything the racing games keep me sane, I can play those when I'm bad state, because all they demand of me is to control my speed and steering (very very well) ... easy right?[/QUOTE]

But, you play tons and tons of racers...
...some of them can't be easy as the others, no?

Though, I'd guess by now - you must be racing-game wizard.

[quote name='MysterD']But, you play tons and tons of racers...
...some of them can't be easy as the others, no?

Though, I'd guess by now - you must be racing-game wizard.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Nah, they vary considerably. Physics models vary considerably, some games have a bias toward playing to a racing-line or excessive drifting/powersliding, agressiveness of the AI varies considerable (I mean in their willingness to collide with you), etc. My favorite is being challenged just spot-on right at my level where I'm often losing by a few seconds, but I know the points that if I drove better I could save a half-second here and there. To this end, I *love* the many tiers of difficulty in Dirt 2 and GRID. I wish more games had that, three difficulty levels is not enough.

I really wish Forza started porting their series to PC. The difficulty system on Forza is PERFECT. Every little setting either adds or subtracts your career race earnings, so if you play with zero assists and high difficulty opponents, you're making double cash or so. Not to mention the customization and physics are arguably the best in any racing series.

Looks like GMG have taken a step back again and stopped coupons on "AAA" preorders due to their shit cashback scheme.

Preordered Sim City from Amazon due to the 20$ credit. I wanted it from GMG, but im not paying more for a digital only item. Ill wait the extra day to play it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I really wish Forza started porting their series to PC. The difficulty system on Forza is PERFECT. Every little setting either adds or subtracts your career race earnings, so if you play with zero assists and high difficulty opponents, you're making double cash or so. Not to mention the customization and physics are arguably the best in any racing series.[/QUOTE]

That sounds nice. PC port would be an instabuy (at no more than $25), because there's no way I'm buying a 360 at this point. The point where I *might* buy a PS3 has possibly passed by now too.

GRID I remember for sure gives more cash prize for higher difficulty but not for the assists and stuff.

The last I played was Forza 3, and it was amazing. Definitely the best simulation racer I've ever played. It had a very well done marketplace where you could buy and sell graphic designs, car skins, auction off vehicles, etc. I had VERY little complaints about that game.

Since then there have been another two Forzas, I think. Haven't played them. Forza 3 had very, very nice graphics though, even on the 360. It would have looked incredible on PC.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I really wish Forza started porting their series to PC.[/quote]
THIS!
Especially since I don't do console games.

Anno 1404 Gold is 75% off + another 20% with coupon GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS so it comes down to 2.6 pounds or $4, but the kicker is that since everything Ubisoft is blocked from the US, so is this.

Also, according to Wikipedia the digital download retains the crappy Tages DRM while the disc version has it patched out. (I own it on disc and can confirm that latter point).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_1404#Digital_rights_management

The copy protection has been completely removed with patch v1.1 for the DVD version. Digital download versions retain the copy protection.

@Ashes: I did a perfunctory search, as well as checking price trackers, sorry I missed that.

@everyone else: did the 20% off coupon stop working for sale games? It won't work for Dishonored, or Doom 3 BFG

bread's done
Back