GrimGrimoire preorder bonuses from NISA

Finished the game today. Twas a fun 13 hours of RTS playing. The story was nice and I loved the scenes that sandwiched each battle. Just wish there was more to the game after beating it. There's 25 bonus missions, but the only reward I get is a Hard mode and I don't even know what there is after completing that. All for the better I s'pose, as I was planning on getting the PS3 after a price drop and that would be this week. Of course, replaying the missions upscaled on the PS3 might be fun. Hmm...

Wow, that was quick! I beat the game less then 2 days. The postive thing about this game is interesting storyline-very similar to groundhog's day, easy to learn and some interesting concepts for a rts in home console. But when you compare this to pc rts, it's a complete joke.

Lots of broken units. Dragon are insanely powerful with it's high hp with long area of attack without splash damage. You can beat the whole game by constanlty spawning dragons. Cat unit is kinda rig too with a sleep attack, unlike warcraft once you struck a enemy it wakes up, in this game they remain sleep for duration of the spell. There are no spell casters that could buffer the spell away.

Very hard to manage units. This is a given when comparing console rts to pc one. Without a keyboard, you will lose lots of hotkeys and very hard to micromangement. The things that bugs me the most, it not a true rts, once you input a command on a unit the screen pause. It doesn't flow quite as fast. You also cannot direct the minimap for easy access, very annoying when going from the top to bottom screen.

No online mode. This means no patchs to balance the game out or add additonal troops.

[quote name='fatbeer']
Lots of broken units. Dragon are insanely powerful with it's high hp with long area of attack without splash damage. You can beat the whole game by constanlty spawning dragons. Cat unit is kinda rig too with a sleep attack, unlike warcraft once you struck a enemy it wakes up, in this game they remain sleep for duration of the spell. There are no spell casters that could buffer the spell away.

.[/QUOTE]

Well, the cat unit (Grimalkin) is what helps negate the Dragon's power. I'd send a dragon in and some off-screen Grimalkin would put him to sleep and then all the enemy units would pound on him. I agree when the opponent doesn't have Grimalkins the Dragons are very powerful. But it can be tricky if they do.

The last cycle of missions gets pretty difficult. I got throuugh Day 1 and 2, and then messed up on 3 before I stopped last night. I may try to finish it tonight. These last few battles are pushing me beyond 15 hours though. I breezed through cycle 4 very quickly so I thought the end was soon. I'll end up somewhere near 18 probably when it is all said and done. And that doesn't count the 4-5 times I played a mission, made some mistakes, then it was time for bed so I just quit and turned off the game (thus no save and no time added to the total). So probably, all-in-all, I'd say it may take 20 hours of total, real, play.

I can't really compare to computer RTS since the last one of those I played was Age of Empires II. This seems very different to me, I dunno. I don't really have a problem with unit management (thank goodness for the pause feature - isn't that something lacking from most RTS?), though I suppose being able to select individual units a bit better might make things easier. Also, if you could group different kinds of units together that would help. A lot of the time I send a pack of something to fight and they come upon the unit they are weak against (in this game some units can't attack certain other ones AT ALL but can be pounded by them at the same time). So it would be nice to group, say, Phantoms with Skullmages, and have them travel together (at the slower Skullmage pace).

[quote name='io']
I can't really compare to computer RTS since the last one of those I played was Age of Empires II. This seems very different to me, I dunno. I don't really have a problem with unit management (thank goodness for the pause feature - isn't that something lacking from most RTS?), though I suppose being able to select individual units a bit better might make things easier. Also, if you could group different kinds of units together that would help. A lot of the time I send a pack of something to fight and they come upon the unit they are weak against (in this game some units can't attack certain other ones AT ALL but can be pounded by them at the same time). So it would be nice to group, say, Phantoms with Skullmages, and have them travel together (at the slower Skullmage pace).[/QUOTE]

Well, managing units in game is pretty good, it just that.. I'm too used too pc rts. They have so many hotkey and shortcuts,it is so easy to manage several dozen units and build properly without a pause screen.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's kind of amusing that this game, an RTS, is way shorter than Odin Sphere, an action game.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to compare this to Odin Sphere. In Odin Sphere you get five different points of views, but in Grimgrimoire you get one point of view. Depending on which game you play like Starcraft it have 3 points of view: Protoss, Zerg and Terran, four main ones for Warcraft 3 (extra one that comes in expansion pack naga barly count as one) or 5+ for age of empires.The extra hours really tally up if you count online play as well.

I'm trying to ask my friend to upload some vidoes on youtube. Got a few up there, more to come later on.
http://youtube.com/user/TheCockCrew

[quote name='fatbeer']
It's hard to compare this to Odin Sphere. In Odin Sphere you get five different points of views, but in Grimgrimoire you get one point of view.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget that there ARE the bonus missions which have more variety than the main story (a lot of them require you to use certain units you may have ignored during the main game). Plus, I guess, there's hard mode. So you could certainly extend the play time quite a bit in GrimGrimoire. While I will probably have no interest in hard mode, I may play through the bonus missions since those are different from the ones I've already done. I'm not sure how many there are, but last time I looked (being near the end of the game) I think there were 18 of them available?

I posted all the postcard pictures a few post back. Nothing really special. It just ordinary postcards with grimgrimoire pictures. It seem like my friend upload all the videos on youtube for those who are interested in how the story develops.

[quote name='rarebucky']Any update on the soundtrack fix yet? Anyone want to sell either of their LE copies? I need it :)[/quote]

They sent out replacements on the soundtrack for all orders it seems. I recieved mine in the mail today.

For those curious, this got reviewed in the NYTimes today, next to Guitar hero 80s. They don't give exact ratings, but he seemed to like it.

I'll probably pick it up when the price starts going down :)

I raced through the main game in about 11 hours. But the additional scenarios doubles the length. I found the main story and characters compelling, up until the epilogue.
It is real time strategy, but really unlike any rts on a computer. It would be more apt to imagine a rts version of chess. There isn't the huge variety of pieces that a warcraft has, but the strategy element is still deep. Nor is Harry Potter a good comparison, the localization definitely steals/pays homage with names, but the only similarity is a student in a magic school, nothing else is comparable.
The weakness is that the difficulty of the main game isn't too hard, and the computer ai often does the exact same attack if you replay (as well as usually sitting on large forces until the time to attack). It also doesn't need the advanced controls to manipulate and group troops, because that is not what it is trying to be. Again, think of the deliberate paced attacks and defense of chess.
Usually you aren't going to have (or need) massive forces, but when many enemies are battling at once, there can be some slowdown.

Could be.... Check your walmart stores with larger electronics sections. a local one by me has a whole shelf of them. I might have to stock up! :lol:

I believe it has gone OOP. It's out of stock most places online like Amazon. Time to buy it if you want it at regular price!

If this is actually OOP, then I'm glad I picked it up on a whim during Best Buy's Summer of Entertainment promotion.

It seems to have dropped to 29.99 at EB. I'm going to have to see if they still have any sealed copies at my local store.

[quote name='Halo05']It seems to have dropped to 29.99 at EB. I'm going to have to see if they still have any sealed copies at my local store.[/quote]
How did you find out? It's not even searchable on eb/gs online.

[quote name='eau']How did you find out? It's not even searchable on eb/gs online.[/QUOTE]

I actually saw it on the shelf at my local store. I asked if they had a sealed copy but when they produced the "sealed" copy, it looked like they had sealed it themselves. I passed on getting it, not because I wouldn't open it and play it but because of their... definition of sealed. I wish they'd just get in a used copy so I could use coupons.

bread's done
Back