Grindhouse Blu-ray Double Feature (Planet Terror/Death Proof) - $12 at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Amazon has the Grindhouse 2-Disc Collector's Edition Blu-ray down to $12.51. There are also third party "fulfilled by Amazon" sellers who have it even cheaper, the current lowest being $12.16. Either way, it's the lowest I've ever seen it for. For those that may not know, this is a double feature, including Tarantino's Death Proof and Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror shown back to back with fake trailers between them, similarly to how it was presented in theatres

LINK

41-pgH%2BQaTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Special Features

Intermission cards Extended trailer Werewolf Woman of the SS
Don't trailer storyboards
Thanksgiving trailer
Planet Terror commentary by Robert Rodriguez
Planet Terror audience reaction track
Thanksgiving trailer commentary by director Eli Roth and co-writer/actor Jeff Rendel
Death Proof deleted scene gag reel
From Texas to Tennessee, The look of Death Proof
Robert Rodriguez's 10 Min Cooking School
Makeup effects of Planet Terror
Hot Rods of Death Proof
The Production Design of Death Proof
Making of the trailers: Don't and Thanksgiving

The BR is the best version for this, it has the entire 3 hour movie without the cuts. Saw this twice opening weekend, man, I love this movie.

[quote name='plus1zero']The BR is the best version for this, it has the entire 3 hour movie without the cuts. Saw this twice opening weekend, man, I love this movie.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean. This version is the same version that was shown in theaters. If you want the full length unrated versions of Death Proof and Planet Terror you have to buy the individual movie releases. EX: The version of Death Proof in this Grindhouse set is 87 minutes. The full length version is 121 minutes.

bought this used I think? like 1.5 years ago from a fulfilled by Amazon, didnt have the slip....i was quite sad about this so it sits sealed in my piles of blus

Another discrepancy is that the audio tracks are lower-quality than on the single-disc releases, even though there was space to spare for the master audio.

[quote name='highdefdigest.com']The Audio: Rating the Sound

Unfortunately, the audio portion of the disc is where Vivendi stumbles. The studio has neglected to encode the movie's soundtrack in a lossless audio format. Instead, all we get is standard Dolby Digital 5.1. Worse, the track doesn't even live up to the standards possible on Blu-ray, which allows up to a 640 kb/s bit rate for Dolby Digital. This one is limited to the DVD rate of 448 kb/s. It appears that Vivendi has simply taken the DVD soundtrack (possibly from the Japanese DVD set) and ported it directly to the Blu-ray, rather than authoring the disc from the original audio masters as they should have. This is frankly inexcusable this far into the Blu-ray era.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the soundtracks for either portion of 'Grindhouse' were ever meant to sound degraded the way that the video looks. Other than a few pops and crackles for effect, both features have modern, energetic 5.1 sound mixes that belie their supposed low-budget grindhouse origins. 'Planet Terror' is filled with immersive gunfights, huge explosions, and throbbing bass throughout. 'Death Proof' is a lot talkier, but certainly roars to life with the car chases at the end.

To be fair, the DD 5.1 track isn't unlistenable by any means. It sounds "okay." It still has plenty of rumbly bass and aggressive surround activity. However, it lacks the crispness and clarity of the lossless tracks on the earlier Blu-rays. Dialogue is a little flat. High-end music and sound effects sound muddy. Once you settle in with the movie, it's possible to come to terms with these deficiencies and just go along for the ride. But this is a huge disappointment all the same.[/quote]

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3723/grindhouse.html

Are these the uncut versions of the films with all the fake trailers? If so, I'm in for one. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to how "complete" this set is. (Or I may not be paying attention to the right sources.) :)

[quote name='TrumpetDan']Are these the uncut versions of the films with all the fake trailers? If so, I'm in for one. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to how "complete" this set is. (Or I may not be paying attention to the right sources.) :)[/QUOTE]

The answer has been posted in this thread. This is the same version that was in theaters. It's the two shorter versions of the movies with trailers in the middle. If you want the longer versions of the movies you have to buy the individual releases.

I own this, plus the individual releases on DVD. I actually love the DVDs: lower video quality, longer cuts, marginal audio. Perfect for these movies.

I think the longer cut of Death Proof is so much better.

Planet Terror is better short, but you get to see Rose's ass a little bit on the longer cut that leaves the sex scene in.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I fucking love Death Proof.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Got mine yesterday. Didn't have the slipcover, so that was somewhat disappointing, but still happy I got it.[/QUOTE]
do they not make these with slipcovers now or what?

[quote name='DestroVega']I own this, plus the individual releases on DVD. I actually love the DVDs: lower video quality, longer cuts, marginal audio. Perfect for these movies.

I think the longer cut of Death Proof is so much better.

Planet Terror is better short, but you get to see Rose's ass a little bit on the longer cut that leaves the sex scene in.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I fucking love Death Proof.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Death Proof is in my list of 100 favorite movies.

bread's done
Back