Gs/eb: Buy 2 Get 1 Free This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

legs1986

CAGiversary!
A friend of mine just called me from GS saying they received an e-mail that B2G1 starts this weekend, he didn't relay the length of it wether just the weekend or the whole week, but IT'S BACK!!!

coupon for what? they don't stack w/the B2G1

And also, I don't think this is going to be the weekly coupon because our marketing kit from the past week had B2G1 posters and all the marketing junk to go with it

It's always b2g1 on used, never new at Gamestop

not 100% on accessories as well just because I'm off today, his message to me was just that we had an email that b2g1 was finally starting this weekend

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']probably YMMV. it seems like its too good to be true... so it usually is :(. we'll know here in about 8 hours...[/quote]

We're in the bottom 20% of store size in the company and have had this location for almsot 20 years, there's no way in hell our store/district would be running a ymmv unless it was for the malls magical night of giving which isn't until November. If by some fubar'd reason it ends up beign ymmv I'm sorry, but I very highly doubt it from my experience w/the company.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']probably YMMV. it seems like its too good to be true... so it usually is :(. we'll know here in about 8 hours...[/QUOTE]

why is it too good to be true??

GS does this every 2 months or so. almost like clockwork.

Now I just need to remember which of my locations will stack the b2g1 with the 10% off w/edge card.
I Know one of them will do it.

[quote name='sunnysky']Now I just need to remember which of my locations will stack the b2g1 with the 10% off w/edge card.
I Know one of them will do it.[/quote]

all of them will, just hand them the thing and tell em to scan it

[quote name='postulio']why is it too good to be true??

GS does this every 2 months or so. almost like clockwork.[/quote]

They haven't done a company wide one since like the beginning of the year.

[quote name='jp0213']Yeah the last one was back in around May if I remember correctly.[/quote]

last one was around GTA launch [end of april/may]

Any word yet on it if it is a full week or just for the weekend?

last time they did it was indeed around May and if I remember correctly, it was just for a weekend (could be wrong on that, though).

Math-wise, I could use some help.

I picked up Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for $21, and God of War 1 and 2 for $21 using the 20% off + edge.

Now, would it be better for me to return those for the b2g1 sale, or is my 30% off a better deal? Thoughts?

[quote name='honzoh']Math-wise, I could use some help.

I picked up Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for $21, and God of War 1 and 2 for $21 using the 20% off + edge.

Now, would it be better for me to return those for the b2g1 sale, or is my 30% off a better deal? Thoughts?[/quote]

$21 + $21 + $21 = $63 X .7 = $44.10 (30% Off)

$21 + $21 + FREE = $42 X .9 = $37.80 (B2G1 + Edge)

[quote name='postulio']why is it too good to be true??

GS does this every 2 months or so. almost like clockwork.[/quote]

It's too good to be true, because a B2G1 topic pops up at least once a month and turns out to be just a nonsense rumor or a store-specific deal, mainly to promote a store that is newly opened. Also, as others have mentioned, they don't do these company-wide every 2 months. Here's to hoping this is the real deal.

Now, would it be better for me to return those for the b2g1 sale, or is my 30% off a better deal? Thoughts?[/quote]

It depends on how much tax is where you live and how you pair the games up if there is a b2g1 free sale.

If you buy the 2x 18$ games and the 13$ game together, and the 10$ game seperately... after edge (but before taxes) you will be paying 41.40

If you use a straight 30%, prior to tax... you'll be paying 41.30.

With the b2g1 it depends on how you pair them, with the 30%, it doesnt.... but with the 30% you are limited to 3 games... so you will have to go to a second store. With the b2g1 you will probably have to just make 2 transactions (pairing the 18/18/13 together).

.10 difference on a "rumor" that somebody's friend heard from somebody who knows a person that knows a person. *shrug*

[quote name='kidu']$21 + $21 + $21 = $63 X .7 = $44.10 (30% Off)

$21 + $21 + FREE = $42 X .9 = $37.80 (B2G1 + Edge)[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to check since the last B2G1, but do they only take the 10% from Edge off the 2 non-free items, or do they apply it to all three? Sorry for asking what may be a stupid question, but again, the question didn't really pop into my head until a month or so ago.

God of War - $9.99
God of War 2 - $17.99
Kingdom Hearts - $12.99
Kingdom Hearts 2 - $17.99

B2G1 Free (after edge): $8.99 + $16.19 + $16.19 + Free = $41.37 before taxes
20% Off (after edge): $6.99 + $12.59 + $9.39 + $12.59 = $41.56 before taxes

[quote name='Nirron']I haven't had a chance to check since the last B2G1, but do they only take the 10% from Edge off the 2 non-free items, or do they apply it to all three? Sorry for asking what may be a stupid question, but again, the question didn't really pop into my head until a month or so ago.[/quote]

I am pretty sure the 10% for Edge is taken only off the 2 for which you are paying.

Without doing the exact math, you're going to lose out on the $ saved from the 20% off coupons but you get to pick out 2 more games of

Well just called in to ask:

b2g1 for the WEEKEND, it's to help sales because the company is going up against sales of Halo3 from last year

[quote name='legs1986']Well just called in to ask:

b2g1 for the WEEKEND, it's to help sales because the company is going up against sales of Halo3 from last year[/QUOTE]

Is there anything that Halo 3 can't do?

B2G1 is the best deal available IF all the games you get are the same price. If you use the coupon it's 30% of everything regardless, but if you just use B2G1 the discount's value decreases by the gap in prices. If all the games are the same price it comes out to a 39.67% discount with B2G1 and Edge. (I've done the math several times before and this is the correct percentage)

[quote name='Nikadimas']B2G1 is the best deal available IF all the games you get are the same price. If you use the coupon it's 30% of everything regardless, but if you just use B2G1 the discount's value decreases by the gap in prices. If all the games are the same price it comes out to a 39.67% discount with B2G1 and Edge. (I've done the math several times before and this is the correct percentage)[/quote]

I think you've done your math in every potential B2G1 Free sale thread. I also think you've done it in most of the GameStop coupon threads when people ask if they should wait for a B2G1 instead of using a X% off coupon.

[quote name='jp0213']I think you've done your math in every potential B2G1 Free sale thread. I also think you've done it in most of the GameStop coupon threads when people ask if they should wait for a B2G1 instead of using a X% off coupon.[/quote]

::looks at the floor:: Majored in Accounting. Plus it seems there's always a new person with the same question.

I'm amazed GS even bothers with B2G1's anymore. Business wise, the coupons are a MUCH smarter move for them. With the coupons, they keep their hardcore customers happy without having to give the deal to everybody. B2G1 would ring up on its own even if soccer moms and grandmas buying Wii games had no idea there was a sale going on.

Also, hanging huge signs in the windows gives people a better chance of discovering the deal in the first place. I understand why they're doing it this time (so their sales numbers don't look pathetic compared to last year), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the last B2G1's we see.

GS's are usually found in boutique-sized stores, so B2G1 sales are good opportunity for them to thin out their stock, which is crucial for them. For every one of us scheming up the best way to get three of the newest games, there is a mom buying crappy, two-year old shovelware that was just taking up shelf space, anyway.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'm amazed GS even bothers with B2G1's anymore. Business wise, the coupons are a MUCH smarter move for them. With the coupons, they keep their hardcore customers happy without having to give the deal to everybody. B2G1 would ring up on its own even if soccer moms and grandmas buying Wii games had no idea there was a sale going on.

Also, hanging huge signs in the windows gives people a better chance of discovering the deal in the first place. I understand why they're doing it this time (so their sales numbers don't look pathetic compared to last year), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the last B2G1's we see.[/quote]

I think the coupons are to keep the deal shoppers (a.k.a. cheapasses) shopping at their store regularly. I think they'll always have a slow period or, like this, a period to measure up to that will require this sale. It's actually the hardcore customers that are causing this dry spell because we're constantly using the coupons and they're constantly meeting their sales goals.

[quote name='Nikadimas']::looks at the floor:: Majored in Accounting. Plus it seems there's always a new person with the same question.[/quote]

I'm glad you do it, because it saves me from having to do the math or losing my cool. Sometimes by the end of a weekly ad thread, I'm about ready to just snap because someone asks a question that had been asked and answered about 40 times in the same thread. I have a slight anger problem, but I keep it in control for the most time in forums, it's in every day situations the anger problem causes me grief.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'm amazed GS even bothers with B2G1's anymore. Business wise, the coupons are a MUCH smarter move for them. With the coupons, they keep their hardcore customers happy without having to give the deal to everybody. B2G1 would ring up on its own even if soccer moms and grandmas buying Wii games had no idea there was a sale going on.

Also, hanging huge signs in the windows gives people a better chance of discovering the deal in the first place. I understand why they're doing it this time (so their sales numbers don't look pathetic compared to last year), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the last B2G1's we see.[/quote]

You have to keep in mind that far and away the "average" GS customer probably doesn't maximize the value with the B2G1 anyway. In other words, say they're getting two 24.99 games, the customer could very well get some 17.99 games and be very happy overall. Then there are the customers that will come in because of the sale, yet still not take advantage of the offer.

The fact of the matter is, while it is plausible that GS would maximize profit by doing something like this as a coupon, it is of greater intrinsic value for them to advertise with "big signs" concerning this sale.

Personally, I don't really like the B2G1. All games have to be at one store and I have to purchase two games to take advantage (whereas with the coupon I could use it just on one thing if I desire). The only advantage is that it gives the employee zero chance of being an idiot and not applying the promo correctly.

[quote name='jp0213']Sometimes by the end of a weekly ad thread, I'm about ready to just snap because someone asks a question that had been asked and answered about 40 times in the same thread.[/quote]

Yeah...well...so...anyone know how much a used 120GB HDD will be after coupon and EDGE?!?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']The fact of the matter is, while it is plausible that GS would maximize profit by doing something like this as a coupon, it is of greater intrinsic value for them to advertise with "big signs" concerning this sale.

Personally, I don't really like the B2G1. All games have to be at one store and I have to purchase two games to take advantage (whereas with the coupon I could use it just on one thing if I desire). The only advantage is that it gives the employee zero chance of being an idiot and not applying the promo correctly.[/quote]

Haha, there's a lot of truth in that. I guess you could argue that they need the B2G1 to move the crapton of used games that get built up from ripping off their customers with their horrible TIVs all year. And you're right. I'm sure those same people who get raped trading in, don't maximize their value on the sale anyway. Fortunately, most of us on this board don't suffer from consumer retardation. We use simple math, coupons, and trade at Blockbuster! :bouncy: I guess we should kind of thank the soccermoms in a way...

Now, would it be better for me to return those for the b2g1 sale, or is my 30% off a better deal? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

A quick example (no tax included), using three fifty dollar games.

Edge card and 20% off coupon. You'll pay $35 for each game, for a total of $105.

Edge card and buy two, get one free. You'll pay $45 each for two games, get the third free, for a total of $90.

Of course, the savings difference decreases or is eliminated if you're not buying three games that retail for the same price.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']A quick example (no tax included), using three fifty dollar games.

Edge card and 20% off coupon. You'll pay $35 for each game, for a total of $105.

Edge card and buy two, get one free. You'll pay $45 each for two games, get the third free, for a total of $90.

Of course, the savings difference decreases or is eliminated if you're not buying three games that retail for the same price.[/QUOTE]

bad thing is you need to find 3 games. Good luck finding 3 good used games after the 20% promo this week.

too bad couldnt find 3 copies of FF 4..... do they take 10% off the 2 games or 3

is 2 games it be 63 bucks or 21 per copy.
if its 3 games it be 59.50 little less then 20 per copy.

dump 2 copies on ebay for 30 each could end up with a free copy but good luck with that

[quote name='Nikadimas']B2G1 is the best deal available IF all the games you get are the same price. If you use the coupon it's 30% of everything regardless, but if you just use B2G1 the discount's value decreases by the gap in prices. If all the games are the same price it comes out to a 39.67% discount with B2G1 and Edge. (I've done the math several times before and this is the correct percentage)[/QUOTE]
i'm missing something. how you do get 39.67%?

example, assuming equal value:
($100 + $100 + $0) x .9 = $180
$180/3 = $60 each
$40 savings is 40% off.

What I do is this:

Say I want some 24.99 games...so I pick out 3 24.99 games since the best value is to get games that are the same price...

24.99 x 2 (since 1 is free) - 10% edge = $44.98 + 6.5% tax = $47.91 with B2G1
...now divide that by the 3 games and EACH game would in essence cost you:

$15.97 with tax 'Average' PER GAME (ie. although it may seem that 1 is free, when you average it out its 15.97 a game)

Now, say you are not willing to wait and want to use a 20% coupon + 10% edge on those same 3 games:

24.99 x 3 -10% - 20% = $52.48 + 6.5% tax = $55.89 with 30% off (10% edge and 20% coupon)...now divide that by the 3 games and EACH game comes out to:

$18.63 with tax PER GAME

Now say you wait for a 25% off coupon + 10% Edge:

24.99 x 3 -10% - 25% = $48.73 + 6.5% tax = $51.90 with 35% off (10% edge and 20% coupon)...now divide that by the 3 games and EACH game comes out to:

$17.30 with tax PER GAME

In the end, as long as the 3 games you choose are the same price then B2G1 is an awesome deal...not by much but every little bit helps to a CAG.

Now, for a look at what happens should you choose NOT to get 3 at the same price...well that changes things because for example...

Say you want a 54.99 + 24.99 + 17.99...in that case the breakdown doesnt really work in your favor with the b2g1 as the average per game at that point comes out to:

54.99 + 24.99 + Free (17.99) - 10% edge = $71.98 + 6.5% tax = 76.66

divide by 3 = $25.55 average PER GAME

So in this scenerio your actually paying MORE for the 17.99 game (& slightly more for the 24.99 game). Granted you ARE getting the 54.99 game at pretty much 1/2 off its current used price if it makes you feel better to look at it that way.

So you need to kind of look at that and say...OK can I get the cheaper games on sale later with a coupon and try and match up pairs of 54.99 games NOW?

OK I am tired of calculations Im out :cool:

EDIT: You can also look at the last breakdown and ask yourself, if you want some cheap games, can you just match all the cheapos together (17.99+17.99+17.99) and the expensive ones together (54.99+54.99+54.99) so that you can get the best benefit out of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back