GS TIV & Promos: Old thread, check first/last posts for link to new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
New thread located here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7529052

WHEN REPORTING VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Upcoming Promos:

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Tiered Trade Offer. (Ends 9/5/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get 10% extra in-store credit when you trade any game, 20% extra when you trade 3 or 30% when you trade 5 or more.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 09/05/10.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Madden NFL 11. (Ends 8/22/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Madden NFL when you bring in any two select games.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Madden NFL 2011 only. Madden releases 8/10. Release date subject to change. $40 savings is net after trades. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. No rainchecks. See store associate for details. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 08/22/10[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 11, Metroid: Other M. (Ends 8/22/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Limited Time Power Trade: Get 25% extra in-store credit when you trade your old games toward a new Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 2011 or Metroid: Other M.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Dead Rising 2, Halo Reach, Madden NFL 2011 or Metroid: Other M. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 08/22/10. [/QUOTE]

Extra $20 trade-in credit on handheld hardware. (Ends 9/5/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Bring in your DS or PSP today and get a $20 extra in-store credit.

PSPgo trade excluded. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 08/09/10 - 09/05/10.[/QUOTE]

First post contains promo information. The second post contains useful information and frequently asked questions. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP/GBA values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded in my 80GB BC PS3 for a 250 GB earlier and didn't realize you needed the charge cable for the controller. 200 in credit is a great deal and this slim is nice... glad to have upgraded since the fat ps3 was loud as hell.

Some DS Base TIV from this weekend: (6/26/2010)
Wario: Master of Disguise - 2.50
My Sims Agents - 6.00
Rubiks World - 1.75
I Spy: Funhouse 4.50

I want to unload my PS3 80G Phat - what happens with PSN games and things if I upgrade to the Slim? I would back up my saves - but it won't mind if I re-establish my PSN ID on a new console?

I have a question, is the $25 guaranteed credit on a few games promo still going on?? It's on their webiste and it says expiration date is 6/27, but they took everything else off that ended on the 27th except that.

People upgrading PS3's

Deactivate your account on the old console first before trading it in. Do this by going to Playstation Network > Account Management > System Activation > PS3 System > Game > Deactivate.

Then, on your new console, create a user account then use the log in details for your account when trying to access PSN. This will ensure that 1 console activation is not reserved by the PS3 you traded in. All your downloads will still work.

(And no, I don't know how the Data Transfer works, but I know this works as I did it at the start of the year.)

Edit: And you'll have to redownload everything, but anything you've downloaded is available in your purchase history. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some updates to the TIVs (since a lot of DS games aren't listed in the TIVs and a few other games I traded in last night ):

GBA
American Tail - Fievel's Gold Rush - $0.50

DS
Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp - $6.25
Build a Bear Workshop - $7.00
Carnival Games - $6.00
Cooking Mama - $8.25
Coraline - $3.50
Elebits - $2.50
Gardening Mama - $5.25
Hello Kitty: Big City Dreams - $5.25
Kung Fu Panda: Legendary Warriors - $4
Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure - $3.75
Littlest Pet Shop City - $8.75
Littlest Pet Shop Garden - $5.75
Littlest Pet Shop Jungle - $6.25
Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck - $2.50
Lovely Lisa - $5.25
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - $15
Monsters vs Aliens - $4.25
My Sims Kingdom - $3.75
My Sims Agents - $6.00
Petz Catz Clan - $4.00
Petz Dogz Pack - $4.50
Petz Fashion Dogz and Catz - $4.50
Princess and the Frog - $5.25
Smart Girls Playhouse 1 - $4.00
Spongebob's Beach Party Cookoff - $4.25
Star Wars the Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance - $3.50
Style Lab: Jewelry Designer - $5.50
Tinkerbell: The Lost Treasure - $7.50
Ultimate Band - $2.50
Up - $3.50
Wall-E - $2.75

Xbox 360
DJ Hero w/ Turn Table - $16
Tony Hawk Ride w/ Board - $15

Do EDGE cards not work online, any longer?

I can't seem to get it to accept my number. I was sure EDGE worked when other offers were present.

Hmm.

So I went in today asking about the $200 PS3 console trade deal. The district manager who was there today said he had never heard anything about it even during a conference call.

[quote name='Unaki']So I went in today asking about the $200 PS3 console trade deal. The district manager who was there today said he had never heard anything about it even during a conference call.[/QUOTE]

It's on the website now, so

Bah =/, still trying to decide whether or not its worth losing all my shared PSN games just for a Slim

Also on a side note, a few TiV's

BlazBlue (PS3) 7.50$
Bioshock 2 (360) 9$
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) 25$

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Do EDGE cards not work online, any longer?

I can't seem to get it to accept my number. I was sure EDGE worked when other offers were present.

Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Works for me.

On a side note - I was able to stack the $10 off purchase code (from the B2G1 free snafu last week) with the new15 and saver codes.

Got Harry Potter Lego for $35 shipped (including tax). Didn't expect the stackage.

[quote name='Unaki']So I went in today asking about the $200 PS3 console trade deal. The district manager who was there today said he had never heard anything about it even during a conference call.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Mizzou75']It's on the website now, so[/QUOTE]
Thus proving that incompetence and ignorance is not isolated to the lower level employees. I know that may be an unfair generalization of GameStop employees because I know some good ones but there are times.

Really tempted to do the PS3 deal. Thing is, my Phat PS3 cant read bluray discs anymore (can still read dvds ok). So will they still give me the $200 but take off some amount for the refurb fee or will they probably wont even give me the deal at all?

[quote name='TheRock88']Really tempted to do the PS3 deal. Thing is, my Phat PS3 cant read bluray discs anymore (can still read dvds ok). So will they still give me the $200 but take off some amount for the refurb fee or will they probably wont even give me the deal at all?[/QUOTE]
They aren't supposed to give the bonus on defective hardware but many people have gotten it in the past.

[quote name='TheRock88']Really tempted to do the PS3 deal. Thing is, my Phat PS3 cant read bluray discs anymore (can still read dvds ok). So will they still give me the $200 but take off some amount for the refurb fee or will they probably wont even give me the deal at all?[/QUOTE]

Usually they just check to see if it turns on. If you dont bring it up you are in the clear.

[quote name='jp0213']Thus proving that incompetence and ignorance is not isolated to the lower level employees. I know that may be an unfair generalization of GameStop employees because I know some good ones but there are times.[/QUOTE]
Think they would let me get an adjustment tomorrow since it would be 8 days since i traded it in? I really dont feel like driving all the way across town just to prove the manager wrong since I was already out for 5 hours today.

traded in my ps3 80Gb PHAT because I only use it to play blu rays and I like having lots of GS credit. Now I am using said credit to order used games to trade in towards Madden because I already got my Slim paid off and wait for it to arrive!!!

My GS with the reserve said they were getting Slims in the 16th ONLY 2 days before deal is dead WHEW!!!!

[quote name='Unaki']Think they would let me get an adjustment tomorrow since it would be 8 days since i traded it in? I really dont feel like driving all the way across town just to prove the manager wrong since I was already out for 5 hours today.[/QUOTE]
Honestly no. It would be rare for them to do an adjustment for a trade-in value after the fact. Basically once you sign the pad it's binding. They have no obligation to do it. I've been able to do it one large items before but I knew the manager very well.

[quote name='Unaki']Think they would let me get an adjustment tomorrow since it would be 8 days since i traded it in? I really dont feel like driving all the way across town just to prove the manager wrong since I was already out for 5 hours today.[/QUOTE]

you shoulda turned around and went home

[quote name='BannedEpisode']Usually they just check to see if it turns on. If you dont bring it up you are in the clear.[/QUOTE]
Which Gamestops do you go to? At the ones I go to they check to make sure the system plays a game when they turn it on. So big YMMV on them not checking the system completely. Unless you go on the weekends when they're absolutely slammed with customers, then you might get a break and sneak in a faulty system.

One thing they don't really check to see if they work when traded in though are controllers, as they usually don't wanna break out a system just to test to make sure everything works 100%.

Not sure if i want to trade in my 80 gb ps3. i bought it back in december 2008. personally, i love how the nodel looks. but since some of you guys said that it last 2-4 years, im beginning to think that maybe i should upgrade..

PS3 trade-in is sweet. The trade in values were $150 for the 80 gig and $180 for the 60gig a couple of months ago.

[quote name='turbocro']PS3 trade-in is sweet. The trade in values were $150 for the 80 gig and $180 for the 60gig a couple of months ago.[/QUOTE]

It is especially good if a person wants to trade a 40 gig one since Gamestop only offered $110 in credit for it.

[quote name='elessar123']They didn't check my 360, just plugged it in, turned it on, and opened the drive. It works fine, but still.[/QUOTE]
You got lucky then, since they rigorously check systems around here.

Then again one of the systems I traded in that they did check was a PS2 that someone who owned it before me had raised the laser too high on. It made a beautiful ringed scratch in every game you played on it.:cry::roll:

I could hear it gouging into the disc they were testing it with but I kept my mouth shut cuz otherwise it would've knocked it down to $20 for trade as opposed to $50-60 or so.

Considering I only paid $10 for the system from a local shop that sold it as non working I made out in the end.

In the last 2 weeks I have upgraded to new PSP, XBox 360 and a PS3. I'm done for a while. Thanks CAG for all the good trade info.

[quote name='zaxxon2000']In the last 2 weeks I have upgraded to new PSP, XBox 360 and a PS3. I'm done for a while. Thanks CAG for all the good trade info.[/QUOTE]
You'll be done until GS has a promotion for trading in an old DS toward a 3DS. Riiight?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You got lucky then, since they rigorously check systems around here.

Then again one of the systems I traded in that they did check was a PS2 that someone who owned it before me had raised the laser too high on. It made a beautiful ringed scratch in every game you played on it.:cry::roll:

I could hear it gouging into the disc they were testing it with but I kept my mouth shut cuz otherwise it would've knocked it down to $20 for trade as opposed to $50-60 or so.

Considering I only paid $10 for the system from a local shop that sold it as non working I made out in the end.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that he got lucky, i'd say that you were unlucky. Over the past 2 weeks i've traded in one xbox and my friends have traded in a ps3 and a xbox (all at 3 seperate gamestops). NONE of them attempted to play a game on them. All they did was fire them up and make sure they went to the XMB or dashboard and then turned them off. None of them were busy at the time either because we only go on weekdays during the morning/lunch times. Of course this is still YMMV but id say there are pretty good odds you can get a gamestop that doesnt do the full check.

My experience with trading in consoles is they are quite lax. I traded in my 360 a few months ago and they didn't even hook it up. I traded in a ds lite and they just powered it on. I was trading in some stuff and a guy was trading in his PS3 and they just powered it on and turned it off. This was at 3 separate GS.

[quote name='loc0bob']I wouldn't say that he got lucky, i'd say that you were unlucky. Over the past 2 weeks i've traded in one xbox and my friends have traded in a ps3 and a xbox (all at 3 seperate gamestops). NONE of them attempted to play a game on them. All they did was fire them up and make sure they went to the XMB or dashboard and then turned them off. None of them were busy at the time either because we only go on weekdays during the morning/lunch times. Of course this is still YMMV but id say there are pretty good odds you can get a gamestop that doesnt do the full check.[/QUOTE]

i think this might just depend on the store. the one near me is barely ever busy, so they don't need to rush when checking the consoles. in the past few months 2 of my friends have traded in their 360's, and with both the person turned it on, threw in a game, and let it run for 10-15 minutes before taking it in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which Gamestops do you go to? At the ones I go to they check to make sure the system plays a game when they turn it on. So big YMMV on them not checking the system completely. Unless you go on the weekends when they're absolutely slammed with customers, then you might get a break and sneak in a faulty system.

One thing they don't really check to see if they work when traded in though are controllers, as they usually don't wanna break out a system just to test to make sure everything works 100%.[/QUOTE]

Im in Minnesota, I've never had them check any of my consoles beyond the turn on test. You are probably right though, its a bit of a crap shoot and folks should expect anything.

I asked this in the other thread, but the explanation on the website doesn't say what needs to be included. Does it require the A/V Cords, mini usb cord, and the Controller?

[quote name='CD6405']I asked this in the other thread, but the explanation on the website doesn't say what needs to be included. Does it require the A/V Cords, mini usb cord, and the Controller?[/QUOTE]

Straight from the OP:

Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Straight from the OP:

Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't see where you see that unless you are just taking the words from the Xbox360 trade in and adding your own stuff, because it's not under the PS3 promo...only thing similar is under the Xbox promo.

EDIT:

Now I see it, it's straight from the 2ND post by the OP. My fault.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Straight from the OP:

Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the USB cable is to charge the controller?

I just traded in my old 360 this weekend at Gamestop. Despite the fact that they were busy and had only two clerks working, they did the full test on it, including trying a game on it. It looked like they even had a specific 360 disc behind the counter to test systems.

I'm sure it'll vary store to store, but that was my experience.

Some people on SD were having luck by trading the console/cords only on the PS3 deal, no controller. Interested in seeing what people here have luck with

Just got the new PS3 slim after trading in my 40GB Phat PS3.

However, I need to go back tomorrow since I forgot to deactivate my system!

Manager is cool. I was the only person that did the trade-in today so she found my system pretty quickly.

I want to trade in my 40gb PS3 for a slim with this deal but the problem is that I need to buy the slim first so I can transfer my data to it via ethernet! Ahh is there any way around this? I don't usually buy from gamestop so having $200 store credit to buy future games doesn't sound very appealing to me. I want to use the 200 towards the new PS3 slim... :/

[quote name='BannedEpisode']Im in Minnesota, I've never had them check any of my consoles beyond the turn on test. You are probably right though, its a bit of a crap shoot and folks should expect anything.[/QUOTE]

I'm also in MN in the metro area and when I brought mine in they hooked it up to a small screen and tested Dirt on it for a good 15 minutes while we completed the transaction. It was a refurb from MS but otherwise had been working fine so I wasn't worried. It would definitely be a crap shoot though if you're bringing in a faulty one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back