GS TIV & Promos: Old thread, please check first/last post for new thread link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
New thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7940634

WHEN REPORTING VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Upcoming Promos:

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Tiered Trade Offer (Ends 12/26/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 2(or 3) games and get an extra 10% in-store credit, 4(or 5) and an extra 20% or 6 or more and get an extra 40%.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 11/22/10 - 12/05/10.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Little Big Planet 2, Super Mario All Stars or World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (Ends 12/26/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of Little Big Planet 2, Super Mario All-Stars or World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Little Big Planet 2, Super Mario All-Stars or World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 12/09/10 - 12/26/10.[/QUOTE]

Hardware trade-in extra $25 (Ends 12/26/10)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS or PSP system and get an extra $25 in-store credit.

PSPgo trade excluded. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 11/22/10 - 12/05/10.[/QUOTE]

First post contains promo information. The second post contains useful information and frequently asked questions. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP/GBA values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jawgoosh']sorry a little off topic but @ radioactivez0r how do you lock in a trade-in price at amazon? Amazon's value is $39.25 this morning for reach. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

You had it answered somewhat, but I'll give you more detail. Just go through the process of the Trade In button and getting to the label print page. You'll have 7 days from that point to put it in the mail. This way, if the TIV falls, you're covered as you already submitted the trade. For example, I went ahead and canceled my previous Trade In and re-submitted with the new price. Reach + Dance Workout is gonna get me just enough for Castlevania :D

From the database submissions and PMs I've gotten reporting the value, it is. Between the two areas I've gotten 5 reported values of $20. Someone a page or two back was saying it was $25, but I've had more than that saying it's $20.

[quote name='discordman']It may be regional, but I work at a GS and can confirm the TIV for Reach is $25 as of 9/18[/QUOTE]

It's $25 in STL as well.

yeah be careful about large groups of 5

I brought in about 20 games lately and the guy tried to give me only one $20 bonus, either by his doing or by the system's doing. Either ask for multiple transactions or come back later.

[quote name='Dranakin']Let's hope MLB 09: The Show is still above $2 tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's $1.50 today. Dang.

Base TIV:
MLB 09: The Show - $1.50
No More Heroes 2 - $6

Trade in's from today, should've held out for a promo but needed to get rid of them.

Also one of the dudes working at the GS in Compton wouldn't shut up about a pet or something :bomb:, I couldn't get my opening line in to the girl who was helping me out.

All 360

:360:
Wireless Controller: $12.75
Wired Headset: $5.00
20GB HDD: $10.00
AC Power Adapter: $8.75
Component Cable: $ 4.25

About $45 after EDGE card, also put down pre-orders in full for Dead Rising 2 & FIFA 11.

Xbox360 prices from today:
- chronicles riddick. $3
- spiderman: friend or foe. $4
- call of duty 3. $2.50
- half-life 2 orange box $7
- red faction: guerrilla $ 4

lol, that amazon trade in is if they even accept your games. I sent 3 games in and the tiv was really high and locked in, and they just said incorrect versions of the games, which makes no sense at all, and sent them back and now the tiv is $0. so ymmv. i personally say fuck amazon tivs.

[quote name='Velo214']lol, that amazon trade in is if they even accept your games. I sent 3 games in and the tiv was really high and locked in, and they just said incorrect versions of the games, which makes no sense at all, and sent them back and now the tiv is $0. so ymmv. i personally say fuck amazon tivs.[/QUOTE]
With so many places doing game trades anymore it's a wonder that anyone even bothers with Amazon or other places where you have to mail in trades at this point. Although different people have different opinions on which credit is more valuable to them.

But with so many options out there now I'd rather the instant gratification as opposed to waiting and hoping the trades make it to some warehouse and I don't get some super nitpicky person evaluating them that values them much lower.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']With so many places doing game trades anymore it's a wonder that anyone even bothers with Amazon or other places where you have to mail in trades at this point. Although different people have different opinions on which credit is more valuable to them.

But with so many options out there now I'd rather the instant gratification as opposed to waiting and hoping the trades make it to some warehouse and I don't get some super nitpicky person evaluating them that values them much lower.[/QUOTE]

Amazon's trade in system makes you wait a couple weeks, but allows you to get more money out of some games and items. When i sold all my games and accessories, about half went to amazon and half went to gamestop. Gamestop's TIV's are not good for recently released games. Amazon's prices are usually better for more recent games.

[quote name='blackcardd']Amazon's trade in system makes you wait a couple weeks, but allows you to get more money out of some games and items. When i sold all my games and accessories, about half went to amazon and half went to gamestop. Gamestop's TIV's are not good for recently released games. Amazon's prices are usually better for more recent games.[/QUOTE]

GS isn't necessarily better for the slightly older games either - some of the midlevel value stuff can be good to trade at Amazon too. While getting the "instant" credit at GS is nice, that also involves a drive to GS and you have to deal with their trade-in promos to get the most money. Sending stuff to Amazon takes less of my time overall (throw them in a box and take them to the UPS store). Plus trading at GS usually means scraping 3 or 5 or more games together at once (to qualify for the best promo) which isn't always feasible. If you have a game that is an Amazon trade-in deal of the day you can often get much more and just that one game is required. Case in point: I just received $17 credit for Bayonetta. I see in the OP it is all of $8 at GS right now. Yeah, I think I'd take $17 in Amazon credit any day over $8 + whatever promo at GS. I see Bayonetta is still $15 right now at Amazon, making it a better option than GS.

It is true that NorAm (Amazon's third party game trading partner) can do some screwy things, as Velo has discovered. That sort of thing has happened to me a handful of times, too - but I've usually been able to get Amazon to make good on it.

GS is awesome when they have promos like the current ones and you have cheap stuff to get rid of though: the things that only trade for $3 or $4 and you get a $4 bonus on top. I pretty much already brought all that to GS last week.

[quote name='blackcardd']Amazon's trade in system makes you wait a couple weeks, but allows you to get more money out of some games and items. When i sold all my games and accessories, about half went to amazon and half went to gamestop. Gamestop's TIV's are not good for recently released games. Amazon's prices are usually better for more recent games.[/QUOTE]
I only really trade in the older stuff that I got for about $5 max anyway, so for me the instant gratification is much easier. I did one batch of trades to Best Buy/Deal Tree before realizing what a pain in the ass it was. The waiting and aggravation if they decide that a game is not the version they're taking in trade is just not worth it to me.

The main reason Velo and a few others are perturbed is because Amazon/NorAm was offering two and three times MSRP for games that just released a week or so ago. Yet their way out of paying out those much higher than usual trade values was to say it was 'the wrong version', which is just plain shady to me.

But as for the TIV's and promos at GS not being that good for stuff that's newer, it is but only if you get through said games quickly and trade while there's a halfway decent promo going on. Unfortunately their values have seriously tanked in the last couple of years to where $20-25 is the MAXIMUM base trade value on stuff that released mere days earlier.

Before they adjusted the values downward it wasn't unheard of to get $30-35 as a base value at times. But perhaps more game buyers are becoming smarter and exploiting their system to get the most back for their gaming dollar, hence the change in values.

If you do your homework you can make back a good chunk of what you spent on games, but many do not feel that is worth their time. Just more credit for those of us who will take that time.;):applause:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you do your homework you can make back a good chunk of what you spent on games, but many do not feel that is worth their time. Just more credit for those of us who will take that time.;):applause:[/QUOTE]

I'm like that with EVERYTHING... Case in point, I bought $110 worth of chili, Campbell's soup and Pop tarts last week from Giant... For a grand total of $8... And they gave me 70 cents off of each gallon of gas when I was done - so I filled up for a little over $20. So I saved money there, too... You gotta save where you can these days.

I actually like Amazon, except for the snafu a couple of weeks ago. But that was essentially my fault. I had not seen the microscopic crack on my L4D2 disk and the other games had differing SKU's, as they were store special editions. So I took them to GS and got $6 more than what Amazon was giving, after promos.

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Gamestop was giving this out at halo reach midnight launch.. Starts 9/27

scan102630000.jpg

Think you will need this coupon, which you should be able to get at your gamestop.

TIV from today.

Saints Row 2 - $5.00
Crash: Mind over Mutant - $8.00
Lego Batman - $2.50
Bigs - $2.00
MLB Front Office - $2.00
TMNT - $4.00

Didn't trade Bigs, Lego batman, and front office and went with the $10 bonus.

Thought i could post this here. Trying to buy some MS points from GS with my $20 Reach coupon/credit and it just wont let me. WTH!

Ive even made the total over $20 and it wont work.

yeah, i mean, my tiv's with amazon last week weren't entirely legit ish. it seemed they made a mistake and saints row double pack was tiv'd at 120 on day of launch. so i locked in 3 for 360, went to bestbuy, bought 3 of them for $100, and sent them off to amazon that day. then amazon got them on the 10th, held them til the 14th, and then sent me an email stating they were the wrong version. they did this to a few cags that did the same thing (also with ace combat). that is a bs move. i understand they over inflated their tiv, definately a mistake, especially for a $30msrp game, but to not admit their mistake and just send them back. and now i look at amazon's tiv and now the game isn't even listed. argh. i yelled at csr for a few hours and got $20 promo credit. luckily 2 of the games werent opened so i can return tomorrow, but they even opened the 1st game. argh. so i guess i will give it away or try to trade in to gs(5 and 2.50 tiv tho, ugh, individually so maybe help me get a 3/10 5/20 promo, but still) just leaves a bitter taste...
oh and the fact that amazon has no way of reaching their (noram?) trade in partner. they couldnt put me through to anyone other than to say they have the right to refuse any product, which is like, what's the point of locking in tiv, but whatev.
i hate the waiting period for gazelle/bestbuy/dealtree, but at least they give me what i lock it in at. ok /endrant

Tonight on the phone
DS
Mario & Sonic Olympic games $6
Super Mario Brothers $17
The Legendary Starfy $8
MarioKart $17
Mario & Luigi Bowser's inside story $20

As of Last night 9/20

360 Smarter than 5th Grader $4
360 FairyTale Fights $6
PS3 GhostBusters $7
Wii Circus Stars $2
Wii MySims Racing $3
Wii Cold Stone Creamery: Scoop it Up $3

Hey JP, isn't it time to stop updating the lists in this thread and just rely on the database, it just seems to me that your doing so much duplicate work. I for 1 appreciate all the work you do.

I still keep the first page up to date for the mobile users, also easier for people to copy/paste lists to print out and take with them to stores. I know that's catering to a small group of people but doing updates in two locations only takes like an extra 5 minutes or so, not much of a problem for me.

[quote name='JP']I still keep the first page up to date for the mobile users, also easier for people to copy/paste lists to print out and take with them to stores. I know that's catering to a small group of people but doing updates in two locations only takes like an extra 5 minutes or so, not much of a problem for me.[/QUOTE]

You are a HERO :)

Looking to dump my Wii, will that coupon in the OP work if I just print it off or do I need to get a legit one, and if so, where are they printed?

In the past, printed off versions of coupons that are normally handed out in-store are hit and miss. From the information posted from poker360 these were handed out during the Reach midnight thing but the stores should have them on hand. Probably a stack of them at the counter.

EDIT: Updated lists and database.

Just traded these in towards Reach

Wii
Trauma center: new bloood $4

Nintendo ds
New Super Mario Brothers $17
Brain Age 2: More training $3

Xbox 360
Wet $6

Just traded in

New Super Mario Bros (wii) $25 base
Plus 25% for dead rising 2 preorder
plus edge.

total: just under $35

He also told me that Dead Rising 2 is released today. Although they didnt have any in stock, he told me to call tomorrow to see if they are in. Anybody else gotten Dead Rising 2 early?

[quote name='habs1984']Just traded in

New Super Mario Bros (wii) $25 base
Plus 25% for dead rising 2 preorder
plus edge.

total: just under $35

He also told me that Dead Rising 2 is released today. Although they didnt have any in stock, he told me to call tomorrow to see if they are in. Anybody else gotten Dead Rising 2 early?[/QUOTE]

Actually, according to Gamestop.com, it comes out NEXT week, the 28th.

[quote name='sp00ge']Actually, according to Gamestop.com, it comes out NEXT week, the 28th.[/QUOTE]

That's what I told him, but he told me the date in his computers were different.

[quote name='jhweathers']I still have a 20 gig launch 360. whats the tiv during this promo?[/QUOTE]

The first post contains the answers you seek.

[quote name='JP']I still keep the first page up to date for the mobile users, also easier for people to copy/paste lists to print out and take with them to stores. I know that's catering to a small group of people but doing updates in two locations only takes like an extra 5 minutes or so, not much of a problem for me.[/QUOTE]

And it's appreciated. Much easier to browse that way, too.

[quote name='Velo214']lol, that amazon trade in is if they even accept your games. I sent 3 games in and the tiv was really high and locked in, and they just said incorrect versions of the games, which makes no sense at all, and sent them back and now the tiv is $0. so ymmv. i personally say fuck amazon tivs.[/QUOTE]

Similar thing happened with me with PS3 Split Second. GS was running a B2G1 Free in June. I saw PS3 SW TFU SE and paired it up with 2 copies of PS3 S/S, b/c I'd get TFU free. They sent it back saying incorrect UPC. I tried to talk to Amazon, got nothing. You win some, you lose some. Not too worried, I've won a lot more with Amazon than I have loss. Same with GS and every place I still shop at.

I still rely on the lists almost entirely. The problem with the DB is that other people can update it and maybe put wrong info in - I trust your lists more ;). So, yeah, thanks for keeping them up to date!

[quote name='io']I still rely on the lists almost entirely. The problem with the DB is that other people can update it and maybe put wrong info in - I trust your lists more ;). So, yeah, thanks for keeping them up to date![/QUOTE]

^This, thanks a bunch JP! :applause:

[quote name='DJP519']And it's appreciated. Much easier to browse that way, too.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='io']I still rely on the lists almost entirely. The problem with the DB is that other people can update it and maybe put wrong info in - I trust your lists more ;). So, yeah, thanks for keeping them up to date![/QUOTE]
[quote name='evildeadjedi']^This, thanks a bunch JP! :applause:[/QUOTE]
Always good to see these kinds of messages. I enjoy doing all this, even if I do get grumpy sometimes. I figure I'll keep doing the list/database combo until a mod or Cheapy say otherwise.

Yea, this list is important to me as well, I just think it is nice to be able to read experiences with trades on top of just getting the values alone, I have been able to do a lot of stacking that I didn't even know about just due to the people informing us in here. JP, you really do deserve a medal for all your work.

Here are some new trade in values for today:
iconxbox360.gif

Assassin's Creed 2.50
Call of Duty 3 2.50
Fable II 3.00
Tomb Raider Underworld 2.50
iconwii.gif

Dragon Quest Swords 2.50

Also, I had to renew my membership and I guess they have a new rewards program they you earn points for making purchases and then you redeem them on their website. It is called the GameStop Power Up Rewards program. It looks OK, but it seems you have to spend a lot to get anything. On the plus side it is still only 14.99 a year and you still get GameInformer and the same discounts on used games. Here is the link to the website. http://www.PowerUpRewards.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back