GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='killer9']did anyone actually trade in mass effect 2 today i dont trust callers[/QUOTE]

Why not?

Someone lying about calling and getting a TIV is just as likely to lie about walking into Gamestop and getting a certain TIV.

Calling is a reliable way to get the latest values. Call your own Gamestop, if you're skeptical.

If i traded my 360 in for a wii at my gamestop which is currently out of stock would i still get the extra $30 and would it be regular credit or be reserved for the wii? Also does anyone know if I can trade in my psp without a battery cover, i bought the bigger battery and lost the old cover.

[quote name='killer9']i dont trust gamestop employees on the phone so i will wait for actual traders[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kurrptsenate']or call 2 and compare the amount

stop being lazy if you're so curious[/QUOTE]
I went ahead and did the leg work for killer9, even if he is lazy :lol:. TIV is most definately $25 as reported for ME2

ME 2 base TIV 25 bucks confirmed at 10:30 am this morning. Wish i had jumped on this yesterday. Still not bad as I only paid 20 bucks for it w/ the TRU glitch.

Few days ago, TRU was selling bad company 2 w/ 50% off 4 select games including ME2. For some reason, this was ringing up as 50% off both. Total was approx 65 bucks w/ tax. Bad company 2 was 40 and ME2 was 20 on my receipt. I am not sure why it rung up with those individual prices but it did. Think they fixed the glitch.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']The previous trade in deal (Get $50 for trading in 7 games) might have served you well. I'm not sure if some of those games would even qualify for the deal, since it requires a minimum TIV. I'd calculate it and see if it is even worth it..my guess is you'd get $30ish with the 50% (+10% with EDGE) extra, but that is just me making up numbers.[/QUOTE]

Well, I went by the CAG database for each of those games and most of them were updated fairly recently. The total I got with the 10% edge was about $62. I suppose the $50 for trading in 7 would have worked better, but I only really just started thinking about trading anything in and this seemed like a decent promotion. I always ask them to just figure out what the total is before I actually trade and if I feel like it'd be more worth it to just keep something then I take it back.

[quote name='XRAYted315']Few days ago, TRU was selling bad company 2 w/ 50% off 4 select games including ME2. For some reason, this was ringing up as 50% off both. Total was approx 65 bucks w/ tax. Bad company 2 was 40 and ME2 was 20 on my receipt. I am not sure why it rung up with those individual prices but it did. Think they fixed the glitch.[/QUOTE]

what an awesome deal! Lucky you :(

[quote name='XRAYted315']Few days ago, TRU was selling bad company 2 w/ 50% off 4 select games including ME2. For some reason, this was ringing up as 50% off both. Total was approx 65 bucks w/ tax. Bad company 2 was 40 and ME2 was 20 on my receipt. I am not sure why it rung up with those individual prices but it did. Think they fixed the glitch.[/QUOTE]

The deal also one day only, on Tuesday. So even if they didn't fix it, Tuesday has already passed.

[quote name='Gbear09']The deal also one day only, on Tuesday. So even if they didn't fix it, Tuesday has already passed.[/QUOTE]

Totally off-topic, sorry - but I was just at a TRU and all of the printed marketing material in my store at least has the deal (buy BC2 get one 50% off) running through this Saturday.

[quote name='JJSP']Modern Warfare 2 held at $26.75.[/QUOTE]

So I can get roughly $40 without an edge card?

3/4/10

TIV values as of today:
Battlefield Bad Company 7.00
Bioshock 5.00
MW2 26.75

Total with 50/edge = 62.01 + 39.61 for Uncharted 2 a week ago = 101.62.

Not bad for 4 games I have played until my eyes bled. I only payed 135.85 out of pocket for those 4 games so to get 75% of my money back was a great deal for me. I think I played these games for like a total of over 720 hours...money well spent.

Kind of off topic but has anyone downloaded and played Just Cause 2 yet? I am thinking of doing the amazon $15 credit for a preorder. I hope this game rocks.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']So I got my first official bad experience with Gamestop today. I went in to pick up my copy of Bad Company 2 and showed her my receipt. She looked at it and noticed it didn't get charged tax and said that I would have to pay the 4.20$ because I wasn't charged it. I proceeded to tell her that purchases made with Gamestop credit do not get charged tax at all, I've done it plenty of times over the past year. She keeps insisting it is a glitch and talking about "tax in so tax out" Basically that they pay tax on products, so they must charge tax back on them. I told her that it didn't really make any sense because I wasn't paying with cash and I traded in games for the credit I had. I then said, so why didn't I get paid the 7% tax on my trade-ins then? She didn't say anything and just continued on about it being a glitch.

I was on my 30 minute lunch break and was in a rush to do anything asshole like so I just gave her my Edge card and told her to take it off of that. I'm not pissed that I'm out $4.20, I'm just pissed that she was trying to make me feel stupid by pulling a calculator out and showing me that 59.99 x .07 was 4.20. None the less, I don't know if this is going to be effective across all of Indiana now or if she was just an asshole.

On the other hand, the pre-order bonus code was printed on the receipt instead of being given a paper card or anything. I'll check it out after I get out of class later today.[/QUOTE]
Two friends of mine and myself have tried to use the code for the Ak-74u but to no avail. Sorry to hear about your past situation there, but at least I can assure you you're not the only one. I've had plenty, especially with GS.

Lovin' this extra 50%.
All Base:
DS: TWEWY $5.25
360: CoD:MW2 $26.75
Resident Evil 5 $5.00

Netted $59.20 w/ edge and 50%.

Was gonna snatch the used copy of BF2 they had, but someone put it on "hold" and I couldn't convince him to sell it to me. Bastards.

[quote name='nervousxtian']Lovin' this extra 50%.
All Base:
DS: TWEWY $5.25
360: CoD:MW2 $26.75
Resident Evil 5 $5.00

Netted $59.20 w/ edge and 50%.

Was gonna snatch the used copy of BF2 they had, but someone put it on "hold" and I couldn't convince him to sell it to me. Bastards.[/QUOTE]

Buy the game new so you can get the VIP code.

[quote name='handsomepete']Totally off-topic, sorry - but I was just at a TRU and all of the printed marketing material in my store at least has the deal (buy BC2 get one 50% off) running through this Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Jeez..... has anyone tried this out today and see if they fixed it or not? I'll to confirm this in 2 hours when I'm free from work.

[quote name='cancerman1120']3/4/10

TIV values as of today:
Battlefield Bad Company 7.00
Bioshock 5.00
MW2 26.75

Total with 50/edge = 62.01 + 39.61 for Uncharted 2 a week ago = 101.62.

Not bad for 4 games I have played until my eyes bled. I only payed 135.85 out of pocket for those 4 games so to get 75% of my money back was a great deal for me. I think I played these games for like a total of over 720 hours...money well spent.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I meant to say these are all xbox360 TIVs...sorry.

I have some input on the issue of being charged tax on a game that was previously fully paid off with trade in credit when you know that your state does not charge tax on purchases paid for with trade credit. As was previously suggested I think the issue has to do with the return or exchange of the game for something else.

When they refund the purchase (say 59.99) and ring a new game up all in the same transaction, the refund tends to default to the 59.99 refund as if it were a gift card (which is never tax free). The best way to avoid this is to always have them do returns and purchases as separate transactions.

I know this from personal experience because they tried to charge me tax when I was going to cancel my preorder of FF XIII (which was fully paid off with trade credit) to pay for Heavy Rain. When I had them refund the trade credit to the edge card first, I didn't have to pay any tax to get HR instead of the preorder of FF XIII. I even thew down $5 on a new preorder of FFXIII for the hassle and to keep them from losing a preorder.

This brings me to my question for any GS employees out there or those that are very knowledgeable about this issue. I have GOW 3 fully paid off and preordered, but I am thinking that I do not want the game at all anymore. Since I know how much preorders are important to GS employees, what I want to know is if I wait till release day to cancel/return my purchase, does it make their preorder "numbers" look better if I pick up the game first (since it is all paid off) and then return it for a refund on the edge card as opposed to just canceling the preorder for a refund on the edge card?

I know that it makes no difference on my end, but I like to keep my GS employees on as good of terms as possible so they are more likely to ignore any occasional flipping/reselling shenanigans.

Man, I'm really in a social pickle. The TIV on MW2 is about as good as it's gonna be, and I really want to trade it in because I beat the solo campaign (in about 12 minutes, I believe), but whenever my buddies come over that's the ONLY game we play. Should I just say "fuck YOU" to my friends and make us play something else (like, the original COD4, for instance?) or keep it and lose out on getting credit towards BC2

[quote name='chimpster1313']Man, I'm really in a social pickle. The TIV on MW2 is about as good as it's gonna be, and I really want to trade it in because I beat the solo campaign (in about 12 minutes, I believe), but whenever my buddies come over that's the ONLY game we play. Should I just say "fuck YOU" to my friends and make us play something else (like, the original COD4, for instance?) or keep it and lose out on getting credit towards BC2[/QUOTE]
Why not ask your friends what they think? I mean, the decision won't effect us. >_>;

And it's probably a bit off-topic, but Nazi Zombies ala CoD:World at War is a great game to play with friends. I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than Modern Warfare Co-Op or taking turns.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Why not ask your friends what they think? I mean, the decision won't effect us. >_>;

And it's probably a bit off-topic, but Nazi Zombies ala CoD:World at War is a great game to play with friends. I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than Modern Warfare Co-Op or taking turns.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry for going off topic for a bit, but at least I'll apologize for it unlike some tools, erm, people on various threads.

I'll probably be taking it in tomorrow along with a few others and I'll report the TIV's afterwards.

Base TIV's from today:

Prototype :ps3: 8.25
Red Faction: Guerrilla :ps3: 5.75

Kinda odd that the Red Faction TIV is .75 more than what was reported just a day or two ago, but well, I've got it right here in black and white.

And let me just take a second to say "thank you" and a job well done to the TC for constantly updating this thread :applause:. I'm sure the post count probably jumped significantly with GS's promo going on, and I'm sure it's quite a bit of work to do this. And people, I don't wanna speak for the TC, but I'm sure he'd appreciate it if he didn't have to weed through so many OT posts in here.

Do you have to be 17 to trade in games? My friend said he went in to gamestop and traded in Modern Warfare 2, i totally believe him, i just dont know if they let him trade in the game because he brought his learners permit, or because he was 17. Do you just need proper identification i.e permit license, or do you need to be 17+ and identification. Being that im very close to 17, about 2 months away, i wasnt aware i may already be eligible to trade in games. I mean if worst came to worst i could always wait 2 months.. lamee

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Do you have to be 17 to trade in games? My friend said he went in to gamestop and traded in Modern Warfare 2, i totally believe him, i just dont know if they let him trade in the game because he brought his learners permit, or because he was 17. Do you just need proper identification i.e permit license, or do you need to be 17+ and identification. Being that im very close to 17, about 2 months away, i wasnt aware i may already be eligible to trade in games. I mean if worst came to worst i could always wait 2 months.. lamee[/QUOTE]

I believe you have to be 17 or 18 if you want to trade in for cash, but otherwise I've never heard of an age limit for just trading in games for credit.

Yeah I noticed RedFaction G went up also. It went up at TRU to $8.40 so I guess I will trade my old copy once my free darksiders copy shows up. I would trade it in now but I don't trust the mail or thq enough til I see the free game in my hands :)

[quote name='cancerman1120']Kind of off topic but has anyone downloaded and played Just Cause 2 yet? I am thinking of doing the amazon $15 credit for a preorder. I hope this game rocks.[/QUOTE]

The demo is pretty awesome. I was surprised after the mediocrity of the first game but I'll be picking JC2 up day one.

TIV 3/4

:ps3: Motorstorm - $3.75
:wii: Punch-Out - $23
:wii: Bakugan Battle Brawlers - $8
:psp: Guilty Gear Judgment - $2
:psp: Tekken Dark Resurrection - $6.25
:psp: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - $5.50
:ds: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - $15

3/4/10
tiv

xbox 360 darksiders 23.00

btw this game very good totally underrated good story and decent gameplay. with collecting stuff got 14 hours + out of it.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Do you have to be 17 to trade in games? My friend said he went in to gamestop and traded in Modern Warfare 2, i totally believe him, i just dont know if they let him trade in the game because he brought his learners permit, or because he was 17. Do you just need proper identification i.e permit license, or do you need to be 17+ and identification. Being that im very close to 17, about 2 months away, i wasnt aware i may already be eligible to trade in games. I mean if worst came to worst i could always wait 2 months.. lamee[/QUOTE]

depends on which state / township / county you live in. When I am home and in Cook County you need to be 17+ with ID to trade in any games. This is because the county views gamestop as a pawn shop. However at school , no need to show ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back