GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LilPaintballer']Im not sure if my idea would make sense. I wanted a basketball game for ps3, initially i order NBA 2k10 for $28 shipped, seller never shipped, I opted for a refund. Coincidentally, I signed up for playswitch.com and was matched for NBA 2k7 and received it a few days ago, its fantastic! Im loving it, so now i want more and updated rosters. Just not more out of my pocket, so, I figure, ill picked up NBA 2k8 from gamestop at $5.99, not to bad for more recent rosters, however the gameplay is slightly worse, Im not letting that bother me however.

Now, if i trade in my NBA 2k7 from playswitch for $.35 it should be $.57 after the bump, however, I dont know if they accept the game anymore, and if i trade it in and put the credit towards NBA 2k8 will I not be charged tax. Or should i just hang on to NBA 2k7, i just hate having old sports games clutter my collection when i have the next years edition. Basically

Will i be charged tax if i trade in NBA 2k7, if its accepted still..[/QUOTE]

Lol, please don't trade that game in for a measly 57 cents, keep it in your library.

[quote name='nekromantix']First post has a few of the states listed that do and don't charge.[/QUOTE]I still contend that OK does not belong on that list. I have always been charged tax for credit purchases.

I bought a game fully on credit last week. I was charged sales tax.

When you say wired controller does it have to be the offical xbox 360 one? Can it be a madcatz?

These are the ones i have:

!BnZV6f!!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-CYEtrM23LFDBLjV+RjG!!~~_12.JPG

[quote name='donut']DS Lego Rockband $9.75[/QUOTE]

If anyone is interested, Old Navy is trying to get rid of their Rock Band games. If they have Lego Rock Band for the DS, it should be $10. So, a bit of a flip with the promo, especially if you use a coupon from oldnavyweekly.com.

Ugh, i hate playing the pissed off customer card. But the guys at a local gamestop are getting my nerves. Drove way out of my way last night so i could trade in my Xbox 360 toward my reserve on the FF13 bundle and WAAAAAY after they test it and start doing other stuff, they decide to tell me im not gonna get the 30 dollar bonus for some dumb reason (I guess they expected me to lug around my 360 during the midnight release)

So i called again this morning, talked to both employee's, and they kept saying the same thing. Finally after calling 3 other gamestops, and talking to a manager i know fairly well, the issue was finally resolved.

Base TIVs from today:

Bayonetta (360): $18
Bioshock 2 (360): $25
Halo Wars (360): $4
Resident Evil 5 (360): $5
Mass Effect 2 (360): $25
Brutal Legend (360): $4
Assassin's Creed 2 (360): $15
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (360): $7.25
Dante's Inferno (360): $25
Darksiders (360): $23

Total value after 50% bonus and Edge card: $241.99

Just had a quick question. If i were to want to trade-in a wireless Xbox 360 controller, would I need the back cover where the batteries go? And if so, would it need to be the same color as the controller?

It really is a shame that GS corporate and their employees can't get all their shit together with promos. You would think that if they couldn't keep up with all the different things they offer they would just try to simplify these things. Anyway here is my understanding of the whole extra $30 toward new hardware thing.

I traded in my DS Lite toward a DSi XL back on Wed. Initially an employee asked me if I was interested in pre-ordering an XL and I told him I was, but the first stores I had been to said they couldn't give me the $30 bonus toward one because the system was not out yet. He was actually kind enough to pull out his GS Bible and check their notes on the promotion. He found that it clearly states the $30 bonus CAN be applied to pre-orders. So, all was good, except the computer wouldn't let him to do it, so he had to override it.

Moral of the story is, some employees read the info sent to them and others do not. Some simply take whatever the computer allows them to do as law and won't budge, others will do anything they can to try and make a sale. I honestly can't point the finger directly at anyone, but those of you looking to trade in a console for the $30 bonus towards a pre-order "should" be allowed, but of course good luck to you. I thankfully have 3 stores within 2 miles and another 6 or so within 10 minutes I can usually get what I want eventually. Keep on CAGin everyone.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']It really is a shame that GS corporate and their employees can't get all their shit together with promos. You would think that if they couldn't keep up with all the different things they offer they would just try to simplify these things. Anyway here is my understanding of the whole extra $30 toward new hardware thing.

I traded in my DS Lite toward a DSi XL back on Wed. Initially an employee asked me if I was interested in pre-ordering an XL and I told him I was, but the first stores I had been to said they couldn't give me the $30 bonus toward one because the system was not out yet. He was actually kind enough to pull out his GS Bible and check their notes on the promotion. He found that it clearly states the $30 bonus CAN be applied to pre-orders. So, all was good, except the computer wouldn't let him to do it, so he had to override it.

Moral of the story is, some employees read the info sent to them and others do not. Some simply take whatever the computer allows them to do as law and won't budge, others will do anything they can to try and make a sale. I honestly can't point the finger directly at anyone, but those of you looking to trade in a console for the $30 bonus towards a pre-order "should" be allowed, but of course good luck to you. I thankfully have 3 stores within 2 miles and another 6 or so within 10 minutes I can usually get what I want eventually. Keep on CAGin everyone.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother >_>. Wish i had thought of just asking them to check thier Promo book, but after the way they treated me, i felt like just refering them to a manager ^_^.

[quote name='bigmac8855601']Just had a quick question. If i were to want to trade-in a wireless Xbox 360 controller, would I need the back cover where the batteries go? And if so, would it need to be the same color as the controller?[/QUOTE]
Did you not bother to read the last four or five pages? It's been covered extensively.

Yes, you need the cover. To avoid any hassles, it should be the same color but it's not entirely necessary.

Just got back from game$top (see what I did there ;)) Any ways here are what TIVs came out to:

Fallout 3: GOTY - $18 ($28.80 after bonus+edge)
Forza 3 - $15 ($25.60)
Bioshock 2 - $25 ($40)
MLB 10: The Show - $25 ($40)
Borderlands - $17 ($27.20)
Batman: Arkham Asylum - $15 ($24)

BTW, all are xbox 360 except MLB 10.

Total - $185.60

Pretty good take if you ask me. Paid off my FF13 and Just Cause 2 PREs.

Does anybody know if you can trade in generic hdmi cables? I have some extra ones that I got on the cheap and would love to get a little more trade in credit with the coupon.

[quote name='JJSP']Did you not bother to read the last four or five pages? It's been covered extensively.

Yes, you need the cover. To avoid any hassles, it should be the same color but it's not entirely necessary.[/QUOTE]

In his defense, there are about 2500 posts in this thread...

[quote name='ttonylema']Does anybody know if you can trade in generic hdmi cables? I have some extra ones that I got on the cheap and would love to get a little more trade in credit with the coupon.[/QUOTE]

The guy in front of me today had like 4 raggedy ass ones and got like 5 bucks each I think, so yeah probably.

GF was messing around with one of their kiosks last night, and it had TIVs. Saw :ps2:Baldur's Gate 2 and :ps2:Ico for $11.50 each. Not that anyone's going to trade them in, I hope.

No offense to anyone but why would you trade in a game that just came out on Tuesday? I'm talking about the guy that traded in MLB 10 The Show.

Just traded in a bunch of games today with the edge card. Paid off Final Fantasy XIII and Heart Gold and still have some left to spare! Total was 168.69! Good stuff.

Base trade in Values:
(GC) Baten Kaitos 1.50
(GC) Tales of Symphonia 7.00
Gamecube Wireless controller 6.25
Gamecube Memory Card 251 4.50
(Wii) Tales of Symphonia: DotnW 6.25
(Wii) Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn 8.25
(360) CoD: MW 5.25
(360) Star Wars: Force Unleashed 4.75
(360) Dragon Age 17.00
(360) Darksiders: 23.00
(PS3) UFC Unleashed 2009 5.00

Traded in the following with the weekly coupon and edge:

:360:
A/V Cable $2.75 Base
Wired Headset $6.25 Base
Live Messenger Pad $6.00

:ps3:
Sixaxis Controller $14.50 base

I know the manager so he let me trade in 2 wired headsets that were from my MW2 & Halo 3 Xbox bundles. Don't need em since I have 2 wireless headsets and my Turtle Beach X41s :D

Ended up netting $48.25 after Edge & Coupon! So I got a Ceramic White Dual Shock 3 for $8 :D

Base TIVs from today:

Overlord (360): $5
Mass Effect (360): $10.50
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando (PS2): $2.50
PS3 Controller SIXAXIS: $14.50

I asked about the dslite trade in for dsxl and they said yeah 45 + 30 = so 75 off of 185...
I'm thinkn bout it... Also hoping Darksiders stays 25 so I can start/beat it and trade in for 40.

I went to Gamestop earlier today to trade in Oblivion GOTY and Mario Kart Wii towards a pre-order of Final Fantasy XIII. The guy said he they wouldn't add the $40 until I went to purchase the game. Is that right?

[quote name='Smap24']I went to Gamestop earlier today to trade in Oblivion GOTY and Mario Kart Wii towards a pre-order of Final Fantasy XIII. The guy said he they wouldn't add the $40 until I went to purchase the game. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

Did you already trade in the games? If so, that guy LIED(I think, dont take my word for it)

[quote name='Smap24']I went to Gamestop earlier today to trade in Oblivion GOTY and Mario Kart Wii towards a pre-order of Final Fantasy XIII. The guy said he they wouldn't add the $40 until I went to purchase the game. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

nah that's gotta be bs, if you already traded those in i would go back to the store asap. in the disclaimer it says "price shown is net after trades" which i assume means that the final price after the trade in should give you a savings of $40. dunno why the guy was being an asshole to you, but this seems to have been happening to quite a few people in this thread..

i went ahead and traded in my dsi toward a dsi xl preorder for $80 + 30, and got the extra $30 on the spot (the offer ends before the dsi xl gets released, so would've been impossible to do otherwise). there also seemed to be an offer going on where you pay $99 for a DSi XL if you trade in a DSi towards it, or $129 if you trade in a ds lite toward it. dont know why they're doing that promotion since the +$30 deal is better..

[quote name='Blackjack13']Just traded in a bunch of games today with the edge card. Paid off Final Fantasy XIII and Heart Gold and still have some left to spare! Total was 168.69! Good stuff.

Base trade in Values:
(GC) Baten Kaitos 1.50
(GC) Tales of Symphonia 7.00
Gamecube Wireless controller 6.25
Gamecube Memory Card 251 4.50
(Wii) Tales of Symphonia: DotnW 6.25
(Wii) Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn 8.25
(360) CoD: MW 5.25
(360) Star Wars: Force Unleashed 4.75
(360) Dragon Age 17.00
(360) Darksiders: 23.00
(PS3) UFC Unleashed 2009 5.00[/QUOTE]

Are you quoting the 50% extra you got for each game or the total amount you got for each game? Because if you only got 5 bucks for UFC Undispusted 2009 (I assume you meant that and not UFC Unleashed) then I'm not gonna trade in my copy. That's ridiculous. This site has it listed as getting 12.50 for it plus the 50% extra and I was gonna do it.

I wanted to trade in Heavy Rain and UFC Undisputed and get Yakuza 3 for free. Guess it won't happen. Heavy Rain you only get 25 bucks for from Gamestop...ridiculous considering it is only 2 weeks old.

I have a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 that I want to get rid of. Problem is, like an idiot, I moved my 360 when it was in the console (completely absent-minded moment) and it left a circular scratch all around the disk. I buffed out the scratch the best I could and the game plays fine now but I assume I would have trouble trading it in with a scratch like that. Has anyone attempted to trade-in a game with a bad scratch like that? The game works. I installed it to my hard-drive and can play it.

[quote name='mckeydee']How much is a PSP 2000 worth? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Damn two lazy asses on the same page...read the OP!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If anyone is interested, Old Navy is trying to get rid of their Rock Band games. If they have Lego Rock Band for the DS, it should be $10. So, a bit of a flip with the promo, especially if you use a coupon from oldnavyweekly.com.[/QUOTE]

Same price used at BlockBuster...

Odd question - I decided to get rid of my non-HDMI console and trade in for an Elite. I figured $130 for a 120gig HD wasn't worth it when I could just trade my old system in and pay $180ish total for a new Elite. However, the GS employee asked a bunch of questions, popped off my faceplate and told me since it was a 3rd party refurb (I bought it off Craigslist so that's entirely possible) that they wouldn't take it at all. Is that a common test for Gamestop or could I try a different location for better luck? Anyone know what TRU offers for hardware?

[quote name='n8littlefield']Odd question - I decided to get rid of my non-HDMI console and trade in for an Elite. I figured $130 for a 120gig HD wasn't worth it when I could just trade my old system in and pay $180ish total for a new Elite. However, the GS employee asked a bunch of questions, popped off my faceplate and told me since it was a 3rd party refurb (I bought it off Craigslist so that's entirely possible) that they wouldn't take it at all. Is that a common test for Gamestop or could I try a different location for better luck? Anyone know what TRU offers for hardware?[/QUOTE]

I never heard of that. Sounds like a douche move.
I'd just go to another store. If anybody asks questions, you can just say you're selling your system and looking to upgrade. Why do you feel the need to tell your life story to a GS employee?

Sorry I overlooked the trade-in value. No need to be an ass about it.

It says that in order to trade it in I need both the system itself and the a/c adapter(the plug-in charger?). I only have the PSP 2000, but how much are these a/c adapters at GS?

[quote name='n8littlefield']Odd question - I decided to get rid of my non-HDMI console and trade in for an Elite. I figured $130 for a 120gig HD wasn't worth it when I could just trade my old system in and pay $180ish total for a new Elite. However, the GS employee asked a bunch of questions, popped off my faceplate and told me since it was a 3rd party refurb (I bought it off Craigslist so that's entirely possible) that they wouldn't take it at all. Is that a common test for Gamestop or could I try a different location for better luck? Anyone know what TRU offers for hardware?[/QUOTE]
The one I traded in they just hooked it up and made sure it would play a game and go on live.

I didn't - he pushed "why are you trading this in? doesn't it work? you know component is as good as hdmi." Over and over again.

All I said was "Yes, it works, I don't feel like buying a harddrive for almost the same price as getting a new console" and that's when he cracked open my faceplate. Only once it was open and he said "oh, this is a refurb from a local shop not us or Microsoft so I can't accept it" did I admit I bought it off Craigslist.

I didn't offer any info - just that I wanted to upgrade initially. The guy is a wicked douche - I've dealt with him at other locations - knows everything about everything and pimps preorders like the king pimps Whoppers.

[quote name='n8littlefield']I didn't - he pushed "why are you trading this in? doesn't it work? you know component is as good as hdmi." Over and over again.

All I said was "Yes, it works, I don't feel like buying a harddrive for almost the same price as getting a new console" and that's when he cracked open my faceplate. Only once it was open and he said "oh, this is a refurb from a local shop not us or Microsoft so I can't accept it" did I admit I bought it off Craigslist.

I didn't offer any info - just that I wanted to upgrade initially. The guy is a wicked douche - I've dealt with him at other locations - knows everything about everything and pimps preorders like the king pimps Whoppers.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that guy sounds like a total douche. Does that console connect to live? If so, I'd say call a manager and tell them. As long as it works they should take it.

here's a few TIV's from tonight:

360:
Media Remote - $2.00
Play and Charge Kit - $6.25

Wii:
Classic Controller - $6.00
Motion Plus - $10.00

PS3:
Sixaxis Controller - $14.50
Sony Blu-Ray Remote - $4.00

All values are base values

Ended up with $57 after coupon and Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back