GSC closes, Stalker 2 gets the axe

Hydro2Oxide

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
http://ukranews.com/ru/news/ukraine/2011/12/09/59663

Here's the article, translated:

Sergei Grigorovich, founder and CEO of the largest developer of computer games in Eastern Europe - Kiev company GSC Game World - decided to close the company.
On this to Ukrainian News reported an informed source.
According to him, today, December 9, Grigorovich announced the closure of the company at a meeting of the workforce.

He explained his decision to personal reasons, without specifying them.
Employees were promised that they owed wages to be paid prior to February 2012. According to sources, the company employs about 40-50 people.

Interlocutor of the agency said that part of the personnel of the company with close ties discontent Grigorovich the progress of development of STALKER 2, and some - with an interest in the company from one of the security forces, which began, according to the interlocutor, for about two months ago.

The source stressed that the above reasons - this is only speculation and version.
The company GSC Game World is working in the computer games industry since 1995. She has released more than a dozen of its own gaming projects, including "The Cossacks", "STALKER", "The Conquest of America", "Heroes of Annihilated Empires." The first two have become blockbuster, and even places of worship in the Ukrainian community of gamers.

Grigorovich became an entrepreneur in 2010 in Ukraine, according to the company Ernst & Young.

EDIT: Second source, just for absolute suredness.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-09-gsc-denies-stalker-2-cancelled-rumour

Well this sucks. Hope it doesn't affect the games already out, but it probably won't. I wonder if some company won't just try to buy out the IP and continue the series.

RELEASE THY GAMES AS FREEWARE! Let the fans uses the source code! Hurry before it's too late....

This really sucks, STALKER 2 was really high on my anticipation list of games next year, but now it'll never come to pass.

Hard to imagine, but with great, great PC games like The Witcher 2 selling like crap, the options for PC developers seems to be go multiplatform or go bankrupt. GSC decided to snub consoles, and now they are gone.

The future seems grim indeed for PC game lovers...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']GSC decided to snub consoles, and now they are gone.[/QUOTE]
The closure was in part due to a failed publishing deal for a console port. What are you talking about?

[quote name='Jodou']The closure was in part due to a failed publishing deal for a console port. What are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

I can't seem to find the article that I read, but it seemed to imply they weren't planning on a STALKER 2 release for consoles.

Searching now, everything seems to say the opposite. Might have been a bad Google translation problem.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']This really sucks, STALKER 2 was really high on my anticipation list of games next year, but now it'll never come to pass.

Hard to imagine, but with great, great PC games like The Witcher 2 selling like crap, the options for PC developers seems to be go multiplatform or go bankrupt. GSC decided to snub consoles, and now they are gone.

The future seems grim indeed for PC game lovers...[/QUOTE]

What the crud is you smoking?

Seems like people grips with reality is off as of late.

[quote name='Megazell']What the crud is you smoking?

Seems like people grips with reality is off as of late.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I like it, just stating facts. The Witcher 2 sold 1 million copies, but was pirated over 4.5 million times.

If I was a game developer, I'd seriously consider saying "fuck PC gamers" too.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/the-witcher-2-has-been-pirated-4-5-million-times-20111130/

I love PC games, but I really wish other PC gamers would stop pirating games, giving them fuel to this fire.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I'm not saying I like it, just stating facts. The Witcher 2 sold 1 million copies, but was pirated over 4.5 million times.

If I was a game developer, I'd seriously consider saying "fuck PC gamers" too.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/the-witcher-2-has-been-pirated-4-5-million-times-20111130/

I love PC games, but I really wish other PC gamers would stop pirating games, giving them fuel to this fire.[/QUOTE]

The main thing is they need to go non-DRM, like GOG's and CDPR are big proponents of, that's the main reason I quit gaming on PC was because of these Draconian practices.

In this case though CDPR did release a non-DRM version, so yeah people need to quit pirating when a developer releases it bull$#!@ free.

I don't see PC gaming as having a bright future regardless of what the PC faithful say (been gaming on PC since the early 90's) but the support is flagging or developers die left and right or you'll see the resurgence of indie /smaller developers like there was during the Shareware era of gaming. So while PC gaming might not die, per say, it isn't very far off from being on life support any day now. Otherwise companies like GSC Gameworld wouldn't be closing shop and killing off what I consider a very original IP of the last few years.

PC gaming of the 90's is a different place than PC gaming circa 2011. And I just don't mean gfx or technology. ;)

Yeah, I really don't know what to make of the situation given so little information. Would be nice if they explained what was going on.

And now it's officially canceled. GSC is gone and the new company is called Vostok Games. The team is working on Survarium (F2P MMOFPS) and comes as a move because they were unable to secure the rights to STALKER. So yeah, maybe I'll check it out but the franchise is dead.

In closing, fuck Call of Duty.

[quote name='Jodou']And now it's officially canceled. GSC is gone and the new company is called Vostok Games. The team is working on Survarium (F2P MMOFPS) and comes as a move because they were unable to secure the rights to STALKER. So yeah, maybe I'll check it out but the franchise is dead.

In closing, fuck Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

As disappointing as losing STALKER 2 is, Survarium sounds pretty interesting. Hopefully ideas and concepts they had for STALKER 2 will live on in Survarium, if only so we get that game faster.

Yeah, it sounds like the game I've always wanted to play because STAKLER was only missing the MP element (well, they tried making a MP component but it sucked ha). I just don't want to get my hopes up without more info.

bread's done
Back