GTA 5 Petition Asks Rockstar Not To Make A PC Version

ashtonreeves

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-games-dont-make-a-pc-version-of-gta-v#share

A petition has been launched at Change.org in the hopes of preventing Rockstar from ever releasing a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V. Why? “So PC gamers learn their lesson and stop stealing games.”

Created by Trevor Phillips and spotted by IAmDoge at Reddit, the petition has to be one of the most unsuccessful Change.org posts I’ve ever seen. Someone always agrees, or at least signs as a joke, right? Not true. As of writing, there’s only a single solitary signature, that of Mr Phillips himself.

That’s not to say there aren’t other people that share the sentiment, however. As no PC version has been announced, more vocal components of the net have been quite happy in bragging that the 360/PS3 has “one of the most important games of the generation” and that the so called “master race” must do without. 

On the other hand, a petition asking for Rockstar to port their upcoming blockbuster to PC has some 340,000 supporters. It seems likely that GTA V will appear on PC at some point in the future – potentially alongside next-gen versions of the game – although it’d be a huge victory for Trevor if it didn’t happen.

Grand Theft Auto V is released next week, on September 17th.

http://www.gamesreviews.com/news/09/petition-launched-prevent-pc-version-gta-v/

Credit: NeoGaf

* I copy pasted everything from neogaf.

Last edited by a moderator:
A.) Release PC version -> loads of people buy your game while many pirates also steal your game

B.) Don't release PC version in order to teach kids a lesson -> make absolutely nothing

This is hilarious, especially since, given the series' history, GTAV will most likely get a PC version at some point.

A.) Release PC version -> loads of people buy your game while many pirates also steal your game

B.) Don't release PC version in order to teach kids a lesson -> make absolutely nothing
Exactly.

And on top of that, it's stupid that this guy wants "PC gamers" to learn their lesson and not "Pirates." It just really shows the unfounded idea some people have that all PC gamers are pirates despite the huge success of tons of PC games on Steam, GOG, Amazon, Kickstarter, etc.

I don't understand this either. It's not like console gamers don't pirate either. It's not like there isn't Custom Firmware for PS3 or flashing your 360. If you don't want anyone to steal a game; then don't release the game anywhere. That will teach everyone a lesson.

Exactly.

And on top of that, it's stupid that this guy wants "PC gamers" to learn their lesson and not "Pirates." It just really shows the unfounded idea some people have that all PC gamers are pirates despite the huge success of tons of PC games on Steam, GOG, Amazon, Kickstarter, etc.
I don't understand this either. It's not like console gamers don't pirate either. It's not like there isn't Custom Firmware for PS3 or flashing your 360. If you don't want anyone to steal a game; then don't release the game anywhere. That will teach everyone a lesson.
Part of me's thinking it might go deeper than that. Fandom can often be irrational. Given that, you know how we have fans and anti-fans for each of the consoles? The PC's had fans for years, but not so much anti-fans; maybe the petitioners are some of those latter rare creatures :razz:

Part of me's thinking it might go deeper than that. Fandom can often be irrational. Given that, you know how we have fans and anti-fans for each of the consoles? The PC's had fans for years, but not so much anti-fans; maybe the petitioners are some of those latter rare creatures :razz:
Yeah, well given the way certain PC gamers act towards consoles, it's no surprise that there are console gamers who take offense to that and want to stick it to the PC gamers, very much in the way that 360 gamers bomb the metacritic page for a PS3 exclusive and vice versa.

Meanwhile those of us who just play games on whatever platform look at it and wonder how people can associate their whole being with their platform of choice. But then again, I don't get extreme sports fans either. So yeah, fandom can be irrational.

It just came to my attention that the console version of the game was leaked onto the internet and a ton of people are streaming it. P2P groups "QUACK and "COMPLEX" released it; it's over 16GB.

People don't make any sense. Rockstar spent a lot of money on this game, I think they want it available to as many people as they can. Unless Sony or Microsoft gave them money NOT to put it on PC then I'm going to guess they will.

It was better in the old days when Video Game people had their games and Computer people had their games to play. Now everything is for PC. Even the consoles are basically computers. PC get everything now. Why can't they just let the Video Game people get this one thing? Do they have to have everything? Just leave us alone.

It was better in the old days when Video Game people had their games and Computer people had their games to play. Now everything is for PC. Even the consoles are basically computers. PC get everything now. Why can't they just let the Video Game people get this one thing? Do they have to have everything? Just leave us alone.
Wow are you being serious? PC Gamers don't get everything. Halo 3 and 4? Where is it for PC? Heavy Rain? Infamous? Gran Turismo? Forza? Hundreds of other exclusive triple A games that will never be released on PC... and you're complaining. Talk about fair. Why not give the PC this one thing and stop hoarding every good game.

I think everyone here is forgetting that this is a change.org petition. This petition means about as much as... a fine in the NFL? Shame at a Brony convention? I don't know, I'm drunk, think of your own.

People don't make any sense. Rockstar spent a lot of money on this game, I think they want it available to as many people as they can. Unless Sony or Microsoft gave them money NOT to put it on PC then I'm going to guess they will.
True, but you have to think how bad PC game pirating is. I think something like 1/2 of the people who play CoD: BO have a pirated PC copy (or something like that - I forgot the exact number/details). Who's to say the biggest game of the year won't be pirated like crazy and keep money out of Rockstar's hands.

Piracy is going to happen but there really hasn't been any proof that piracy affects sales, negatively. You could also talk about how many people on consoles will buy the game used, in which the game publishers/developers don't get money. But that's really another discussion, the amount of people who would buy it legally would be enough for them to make money.

On the bus shelter, train station, etc. ads for GTAV, there are Playstation logos but no Xbox ones. Some money certainly changed hands there...

It wouldn't surprised me if Sony and Microsoft greased the wheels a bit to delay the release of GTAV PC, so that it could be exclusive to their consoles for awhile. Then again, the PC releases of GTA games have always lagged behind the console ones (IIRC), so it could also simply be a case of Rockstar being Rockstar.

On the bus shelter, train station, etc. ads for GTAV, there are Playstation logos but no Xbox ones. Some money certainly changed hands there...
Maybe Sony paid Rockstar for limited time exclusivity on DLC in the same way Microsoft paid them off last time for GTA4. Who knows why they aren't plastering the Xbox logo on their promotional posters, but I know for a fact that the Xbox version is selling very well (maybe better than the PS3 version). I was at Gamestop the other day and someone in front of me was there to buy the 360 version and the clerk said they were out of stock but still had plenty of PS3 copies available. I don't know.

bread's done
Back